Digger of Bricks

[POLL] How do you Feel About "Costumed" CMF Archetypes in the Collectable Minifigure Line?

How do you Feel About "Costumed" CMFs in the Collectable Minifigure Line?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. On a Scale of One to Five...

• 1 - LOVE THEM!
    • 2 - Just Fine with Them.
    • 3 - Pretty much Neutral about Them.
    • 4 - Don't really Care for Them.
    • 5 - Hate Them.

32 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Hmm there has been only 2 fruits so far: Banana and Watermelon

If we say fruits and vegetables we´d have also Corn-guy (and the cucumber in Series 18 xD ). I also saw Strawberry-, Peanut-, Chilli-, Carrot-, and Watermelon-Custum-costumes out there. So food costumes seem to have a fan base.

27 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Hmm there has been only 2 fruits so far: Banana and Watermelon

Fruit/food I meant. 

I'm not against them but I don't need to have them in my collection, either. Especially not at 3.99€ for a blind bag.

When I bought my series 3 figures I was approached by a security guy who thought it was suspicious that I spent an hour going through multiple CMF store displays. Awkward situation. Didn't buy any other CMF until I got my complete box of Harry Potter figures in a 20% off sale.

Another "Just Fine with Them". While I agree they are being a little overexposed recently, I often find them to be among the only interesting figures in the last few waves (different strokes for different folks and all that). For example, the three costume figures and Swamp Creature are the only ones from TLM2 CMF wave that interest me. The rest I'll be passing on.

1 hour ago, pawcanada said:

While I agree they are being a little overexposed recently, I often find them to be among the only interesting figures in the last few waves (different strokes for different folks and all that).

Well, which subset of CMF archetypes are you typically interested in that haven't been represented in the last few waves you speak of? :classic:

41 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, which subset of CMF archetypes are you typically interested in that haven't been represented in the last few waves you speak of? :classic:

Excluding the costume figures, I'm mostly interested in the Ancient Warriors and Mythology/Monsters myself. What I love about the CMF line is how we'd often get something that normally wouldn't appear in a normal Lego set like Turkish Warrior, Egyptian Warrior, Roman Soldiers, Gorgon/Medusa and Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde. That's why I'm glad we're FINALLY getting a CMF swap creature, even if he is wearing overalls and otherwise looks identical to his Monster Fighter counterpart. I'd have prefered it in a different colour like purple, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm also quite fond of the space/Sci-Fi and Extreme Sports figures that have also seemed to evaporate from more recent waves.

Frankly, a wave dedicated to a movie like Lego Batman, TLM or Ninjago, despite being a fan of Ninjago and enjoying the first TLM, is mostly a pass for me unless it has some kind of figure I'd never see elsewhere, i.e. the Wonder Twins from the second Lego Batman wave (I dislike Batman at the best of times, so seeing an additional 50 variants is unlikely to sway me). The same also goes for the recent Harry Potter wave and the rumoured Disney one. Unless the latter has Gargoyles or characters from Robin Hood and/or Sword in the Stone, neither will have anything that appeals to me personally and will thus be a pass for me.

Finally, I've never found generic City figures to be all that interesting, partly as someone with no interest in "grounded" stories and settings, partly because I'm almost certain they could appear in a City set someday and partly as I'm more of a figure collector than one to gets sets. Thus having a slightly different police officer or firefighter from a CMF wave that I can stand in a city diorama has no appeal to me personally

12 minutes ago, pawcanada said:

That's why I'm glad we're FINALLY getting a CMF swap creature, even if he is wearing overalls and otherwise looks identical to his Monster Fighter counterpart.

Well, even though Monster Fighters' Swamp Monster could've very well been an official CMF in terms of its design and quality, I still find it strange that we haven't seen any proper official representation for that archetype with a Series yet, instead getting that much more specific variant of Monster Fighters' take within TLM2's CMS. :def_shrug:

35 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, even though Monster Fighters' Swamp Monster could've very well been an official CMF in terms of its design and quality, I still find it strange that we haven't seen any proper official representation for that archetype with a Series yet, instead getting that much more specific variant of Monster Fighters' take within TLM2's CMS. :def_shrug:

My thoughts exactly. I liked having a "CMF Version" and a "Monster Fighter" version of the archetypes, as I felt they had their own different spin or were a vast improvement, such a the MF Werewolf. I liked displaying them opposing one and other as a "mirror reflection" of each other, and have been wanting a Swamp creature for said display for a while. The upcoming one will certainly fill that gap, but as you said, is long overdue and I do feel would have been better in either Wave 14 or as a future wave's "Monster Rep" and I'd personally prefer a more unique design like it being purple or sand green. While it wearing shorts may make sense in the context of TLM2, it still looks odd to me as someone who will be displaying it with the CMF Vampires, Werewolves and Mummy.

9 minutes ago, pawcanada said:

The upcoming one will certainly fill that gap, but as you said, is long overdue and I do feel would have been better in either Wave 14 or as a future wave's "Monster Rep" and I'd personally prefer a more unique design like it being purple or sand green. While it wearing shorts may make sense in the context of TLM2, it still looks odd to me as someone who will be displaying it with the CMF Vampires, Werewolves and Mummy.

There was also LEGO Scooby Doo's Swamp Monster (a.k.a. Mr. Brown), but that was more of a licensed variant. As for some official representation of the archetype within the Collectable Minifigure line, I'd personally prefer to see an Olive Green Swamp Monster someday. :classic:

40 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

There was also LEGO Scooby Doo's Swamp Monster (a.k.a. Mr. Brown), but that was more of a licensed variant. As for some official representation of the archetype within the Collectable Minifigure line, I'd personally prefer to see an Olive Green Swamp Monster someday. :classic:

Ahh yes, I'd forgotten about that one, and I think it's where I got the idea for a pure purple one from as well. I need to dig mine out, as I separated the Scooby Doo "monsters" from my Monster Fighter/CMF Monster display due to them being people in disguise rather than actual monsters.

I'm between neutral / don't really care for them. I used to like the odd one every so often, but S18 dropped that for me. S18 did for costume characters what S14 did for the monster characters. I preferred getting one or two decent ones every now and then, rather than loads at once. When loads come at once, I feel the quality of them drop a bit.

I think they're nice and fun, and I see why they're popular, but they're rarely ones I specifically seek out unless they have some kind of special significance to me. For example, I got the Shark Suit Guy because a shark is my school mascot, and in Series 18 my twin brother and I got the Brick Suit Guy and Brick Suit Girl, respectively (these are actually the latest blind bag figures we got besides the Unikitty series).

In general, though, my collectible minifigure purchasing has declined since the earliest few series, since during those years I did a lot more impulse shopping than I do now and could more or less complete a series by picking them up a few at a time. Lately the only series I've bothered to complete have been for the LEGO Movie and its spin-offs. Otherwise, I tend to only buy a few or none at all, often driven by what characters are cutest or which have the most useful parts for sigfigs or general modern-day settings. For example, several series ago I bought the Dino Tracker specifically for her cargo pants.

And mind you, with those criteria, future purchases on my part could very well include costumed characters if they had a useful combination of facial features, or a useful hair color and style! In particular, I've been looking for a face with both glasses and freckles so my girlfriend can update her sigfig, but there are currently only two, neither of which looks quite right for her. A calico cat costume could also be fun since in real life I own a calico cat kigurumi that I really enjoy. ^_^

Edited by Aanchir