Sign in to follow this  
scifunk

Tundra Monster Truck (with pics this time)

Sorry about the earlier post if you viewed I couldn't add pics for some reason. Anyway, here I present Tundra a 4x4 monster truck with front and rear steering. Power is from 4 XL motors driving a wheel each. I've been working on it on and off for months so be kind ha ha. The hardest parts have been to get hubs that dont rip themselves apart, and I had to go down the non-Lego route for universal joints as they fell apart at the slightest bit of torque. The tyres are also non-Lego so I do apologise to the purists. I hope to get a video up soon of this beast in action. Just need to find some where suitable to give her a good work out. 

44430859475_eae7863639_c.jpgT1 by James Harrison, on Flickr

The Hubs

31469806658_1103f5a26e_c.jpgT4 by James Harrison, on Flickr

Body Off

45344428841_428c7ea9da_c.jpgT2 by James Harrison, on Flickr

Front Axle

30404891237_4977b32a01_c.jpgT10 by James Harrison, on Flickr

7 hours ago, suffocation said:

Looks terrific!

Have you got a link for the universal joints?

Thanks for the comment. The UJ are by efferman, and you can get them on www.shapeways.com

Edited by scifunk

Welcome here, it looks like You brought us a real beast! Looks very promising in the pictures, waiting for the video! :thumbup: :classic:

On 10/15/2018 at 9:56 PM, scifunk said:

Power is from 4 XL motors driving a wheel each. .... The hardest parts have been to get hubs that dont rip themselves apart, and I had to go down the non-Lego route for universal joints as they fell apart at the slightest bit of torque. 

That's strange. I had built Fox 8x8x8 long time ago, which has x8 XL motors driving each wheel through UV joint. And I didn't have any of the broken UV joints despite having much wider tires with more grip than 3rd party ones have. Used and abused it a lot with no broken parts.