Shadows

"A Pirate's Life!" Contest - Discussion Thread

Alright! I've got my entries in! :thumbup:

I have to say I really like these contests. Without this one I would probably never have thought about getting some old Pirate sets. :pir-oh: It also gives me good ideas for future MOCs by looking at the other entries.

Good luck everyone! :pir-classic:

Got my Impulse entry corrected.

My compliments to Dreamweb. That entry was a little similar to my original impulse set. But it was going to be a lot similar cause that was almost exactly how I was going to re-do my training dummy. :pir-laugh: Then I saw that entry and knew I had to go a different direction. :pir-grin:

Here we stand, lads, on the eve of battle. Tomorrow, we go forth into a new land, a land of voting. Or do we?

Ready for the next big announcement?

The Next Big Announcement in the Continuing Saga!

There are a few little violations in the current batch of entries. There are people frantically trying to finish some things. There are still good ideas unused. There are two different contests currently in the voting stage. :pir-sceptic:

Therefore, in the interest of fun, the contest has now officially been extended. :pir-classic:

How long? I'm not telling you. :pir-devil:

Yes, that's right. I'm not going to give you a final date, or you'll just put off finishing. It might be 2 days. It might be a week.

The point? Go over your entries and make sure you're up to code. Finish up those unfinished ones and submit them. Post here to let me know that you're working on it, it might make the difference in time you need to get done. It might not.

Har, there be uncertain seas ahead, lads, steady hands and iron will shall get thee through!

GET BUILDING MEN!

:jollyroger:

My compliments to Dreamweb. That entry was a little similar to my original impulse set. But it was going to be a lot similar cause that was almost exactly how I was going to re-do my training dummy. :pir-laugh: Then I saw that entry and knew I had to go a different direction. :pir-grin:

And my first idea was more similar to your original entry, hence the question about using another torso. But it was only after I started building my final version that I actually browsed all the other entries and saw yours, but I decided not to change mine as it was not that similar after all.

And the Pirate Vs Ninja theme reminds me of a great old computer game called "Skull And Crossbones" in which the players were pirates and Ninja warriors were among your enemies. I'm sure this game strenghtened my love for Pirate Lego back then.

I have a question,I have a skellie fig in my impulse entry,but it is missing one arm. Is it a fig or 5 parts? I hope it is 5 parts...

I have a question,I have a skellie fig in my impulse entry,but it is missing one arm. Is it a fig or 5 parts? I hope it is 5 parts...

Hmmm.... Skellies are funny minifigs. I mean, battledroids are easily counted as parts, skellies are a bit more specific, but still...

Old skellie or new? If it's the new kind with the robot arms, you can use it as 5 parts. If it's the old kind... oh, go ahead, but I'd prefer it was the newer style.

Sorry abbout re-posting my entries again but I read somewhere in the rules about each entry being in a different post and that wasn't the case originally. Just dotting my t's and crossing my i's.

Dufrense - I like the character of the drowned sea captain! The lighthouse is fun too.

Thanks! I'm pretty impressed with the way you were able to incorporate not just the witch's dress, but her head. You don't see that often.

Phred: The submarine is amazing! Unfortunately, it's iron-clad creations like yours which brought an end to the Age of Sail!

dukeschunke: It's a little thing, but I really, really like the powder horn on your Imperial soldier!

Fluyt: Broadside's Barkadeer is very TLC! It's got that lots-of-detail-in-a-small-space aspect to it.

Erdbeereis1: Argh! I've had my own little Islander cookout built for a couple of weeks now. I didn't steal your idea, I swear!

Sorry abbout re-posting my entries again but I read somewhere in the rules about each entry being in a different post and that wasn't the case originally. Just dotting my t's and crossing my i's.

Wow, you're right, I missed that bit in the rules before. Thanks for the heads up!

I'd tried to post my impulse and large entries separately but it kept combining them into one post. Oh well, it's fixed now, since I reposted Fog Rock Raiders and deleted it from the earlier post.

Erdbeereis1: Argh! I've had my own little Islander cookout built for a couple of weeks now. I didn't steal your idea, I swear!

No problem! :pir-classic:

I really like your hunk of meat! :pir-tongue:

Wow! So many great entries from so many talented builders. Thanks to everyone who put this contest together, and to everyone who entered. What follows are some thoughts on the creations so far (that took a while):

Duke- The Marine: Great idea! I could see a medium sized ship accompanying this line with several smaller sets like this that could be combined to build a larger vessel.

Shipwrecked: Nice little island, I like the shack.

Phred- Jethro at Work: Not something LEGO would make but they should. A new pirate line would need more ethnicity.

The Turtle Submarine: This shouldn't be in a pirates line, it should have it's own NEW line! A whole victorian steampunk line would be awesome and this would have to be one of the sets. Great design!

The Gunboat: Great little patrol craft. The new Revolutionaries faction is a fantastic idea!

kaboom4- Ye Olde Pub:A well defended little pub, very vignette like.

TinyPiesRUs- Make Your Own Imperial Soldier: The name is a little long but the set would be a great idea. This kind of set just screams multiple purchases!

Fishing Village: A nice addition to any port town.

Dragonator- Imperial Salute: Simple but that's what an Impulse set would be. Great way to build an army!

Klaus-Dieter- Pirate: A nice accessory set. Would go well with an inn set or a harbour.

Matn- Friendly Pirate: Nice little boat. Now he just needs someplace to spend his gold.

Imperial Hut: Great little outpost. Imperial Underpants is certainly a novel idea. :pir-laugh:

Skipper24- Pirate Island Prison: Gumbo the monkey! and he's got a little boat, very cool.

Treasure Hunter Raft: I like the shark attack feature.

Pirate Treasure Cave: I have to be honest, I'm a little confused by this one. But that's the great thing about LEGO, you can build whatever you imagine. And it has another monkey! :pir-sweet:

Hollisbrick- Ye old skellie outpost gaol dock: Nice little island prison. Skeleton pirates would make a great line, even if it was just an extension of the Castle line.

Skellie Pirate outcast: This is a great idea for an impulse set for a whole line of skeleton pirates!

Fluyt- Slacking off on the job: This is a must have set! A perfect impulse set. A collection of these would build an army, an island of palm trees, and enough monkeys to rule the world!

Broadside's Barkadeer: Great classic look! Would have made a perfect small set with a few modifications. Great details!

Majek- Shipwrecked Captain: Great idea, floating barrel boat.

Treasure hunter: Lookout pirate! That skeleton doesn't like to share. The idea of a ruins set is cool.

Pirate's Hideout: A round cannonball projectile to fire from the cannon would be sweet! The skeleton pirates would make a great new faction.

Jason- The Treasure of Skull Island: Is that a light blue parrot? New colors of parrots would be a must for a new Pirate line. The skull rock is classic!

SlyOwl- Kahuka's Palm Tree: Another must have set. Great for building an army of Islanders, with ferocious monkey pets!

The Jolly Sinner: Suprisingly large ship with such a limited amount of pieces. Great job!

Rebels' Rock: Very classic look, with all the neccesary elements for a fun pirate adventure.

Batbrick- Islander Camping grounds: Nice set to collect for plant pieces and building an army of Islanders.

jamtf- The Merchant: Something a Pirates line should have, more merchants! And an impulse set would be a great way to build the

collection, plus great accessories.

SirNadroj- Tribal Sacrifice: Nice stone head. I dig the aligator headed islander, reminds me of a Monkey Island cannibal.

The Bloody Parot: such a fierce name for such a cute boat. Very kid friendly :pir-sweet:

Port Maiden: This is a must have! More wenches! Those ckickens are fantastic!

Dufresne- The Captain's Grudge: This one is just cool. A new line of skeleton pirates underwater, maybe even a skull rock underwater lair. Great idea!

Beachside Barbeque: Great cannoe. Mmmm, seaside cooking!

Fog Rock Raiders: A lighthouse, what an important (but never produced, until now) structure for the Pirates line. Good job.

LuxorV- The Treasure Chest: A fantastic way to stock up on treasure and a sailor.

The figure-heads workshop: More small sea-side town sets would be awesome for the Pirates line.

oDDerFisken- Batter Times: Nice raft. Just needs a port where he can trade his jewel for rum and wenches!

Skullossus- Locked Up Booty: A new female pirate! That's what a new Pirates line would need!

Mermaid Encounter: Mermaids would be a fantastic addition to the Pirates line! Nice boat as well.

Dukeschunke- The Imperial Runabout: A good army builder pack, plus a small boat. Very nice.

HMS Aspire: Great small ship set, nice design. Plus a pirate for instant conflict.

Axle- Name? Nice little set. A gun carrying monkey, Awesome! More gray boats for the Pirate line would be great.

Legolas- Battle Pack: It's been working great for Star Wars, this would be fantastic for Pirates! Three soldiers, supplies, and a cannon would require multiple purchases.

WhiteFang- Imperial Soldier Break Time: These impulse sets would all make great actual sets. Soldier, supplies and monkey, I'd buy several.

Nikola Bathory- Fortified Outpost: Good solid build. Like all the blue coats.

Dreamweb- Armada Training Facility: This is a great idea! The green railing is a nice touch and I like the use of the new colors.

Erdbeereis1- Drunken Pirate: A Pirate and booze, something the classic line was missing.

Kahuka's Cookout: Great grill, nothing like BBQ on the beach.

TQmaster500- Abandoned Royal Outpost: Very reminicent of the stockade from Treasure Island, good job.

jaudeau- Imperial Cannon: Poor little guy has to pull that heavy cannon by himself? Classic look! I'd want multiples.

Secret warehouse in port: classic look. I like the treasure displayed out

of the chest.

Pirate's bar: Again classic look very close to the original feel. Mmm, cheese!

BlueDog- The flame stays on the hat? Brilliant!

007- Like the new legs. Would they be articulated? Perfect for a new Armada line.

FelixTheCat- Island Sacrifice: Great island. Kind of brutal, I like it.

Justice: Here's a kid-friendly set. Teaches good morals, piracy=death. :pir-sweet:

Vincent Cheung- Bed-boat Captain: Very comical! This is great. The bed is certainly original, great job.

Now, if we could just...

Let the voting begin!

Phred-The Turtle Submarine: This shouldn't be in a pirates line, it should have it's own NEW line! A whole victorian steampunk line would be awesome and this would have to be one of the sets. Great design!

Thanx for the compliments Fat Tony. :pir-sweet:

The turtle sub was an actual sub made in 1776. :pir-wink:

Now, if we could just...

Let the voting begin!

here here. :pir-classic:

I think someone from C-C posted a sweet entry! :thumbup:

Thanks. Imperial Underpants, I like that. :p

Shouldn't the voting have started, like, two days ago? =)

Fluyt: Broadside's Barkadeer is very TLC! It's got that lots-of-detail-in-a-small-space aspect to it.
Fluyt- Slacking off on the job: This is a must have set! A perfect impulse set. A collection of these would build an army, an island of palm trees, and enough monkeys to rule the world!

Broadside's Barkadeer: Great classic look! Would have made a perfect small set with a few modifications. Great details!

I should post some comments about the entries too, but I wouldn't know where to start, there are so many awesome entries :thumbup: . Maybe I'll get to it when the voting begins.

Thanks. Imperial Underpants, I like that. :p

Shouldn't the voting have started, like, two days ago? =)

This was on the previous page :pir-wink: :

Here we stand, lads, on the eve of battle. Tomorrow, we go forth into a new land, a land of voting. Or do we?

Ready for the next big announcement?

The Next Big Announcement in the Continuing Saga!

There are a few little violations in the current batch of entries. There are people frantically trying to finish some things. There are still good ideas unused. There are two different contests currently in the voting stage. :pir-sceptic:

Therefore, in the interest of fun, the contest has now officially been extended. :pir-classic:

How long? I'm not telling you. :pir-devil:

Yes, that's right. I'm not going to give you a final date, or you'll just put off finishing. It might be 2 days. It might be a week.

The point? Go over your entries and make sure you're up to code. Finish up those unfinished ones and submit them. Post here to let me know that you're working on it, it might make the difference in time you need to get done. It might not.

Har, there be uncertain seas ahead, lads, steady hands and iron will shall get thee through!

GET BUILDING MEN!

:jollyroger:

I've just about finished my large entry, I should have it up tommorow :pir-classic:

Contest finished or no?

Not yet, but I have a feeling it's getting vewwy close! :jollyroger:

I think I'll get my small class entry in today.

Edited by BlueDog

007- Like the new legs. Would they be articulated? Perfect for a new Armada line.

Thanks! If the piece were ever theoretically produced, I would indeed hope the joints would be articulated and thus poseable. Today I spiffed it up a bit with a crudely photoshop'ed background -

2497558671_32cbee20bc_o.jpg

I'm hoping to get my larger entry in this weekend....

Edited by oo7

Not yet, but I have a feeling it's getting vewwy close! :jollyroger:

hey! i have all my entrys, but my computer with the pics broke :pir-cry_sad: . they said it should be fixed within 3 days, would you mind waiting? thanks alot

isaac

Large entry posted. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out :pir-blush: