Momotof

Lord of the Rings Ongoing Discussion

41 minutes ago, Triceron said:

This got me thinking hard about this.

The piececount and price point really do make it look like Microscale is the best option for it.

If it's Minifigure scale... what could this actually be?  A $500 diorama style set with minifigures?  An actual playset doesn't really fit.  Considering liscenced properties tend to have a lower price-per-piece ratio while the piece count is in the 6000 range, I can't really wrap my head around what this would be if not microscale.

The new Lion Knights Castle is just 1500 pieces off that range, so I can‘t see why it would‘ve to be microscale..

Price plus piece count point to microscale but I still just can’t see a microscale Rivendell being THAT huge. Again, it’s not like Hogwarts with massive towers and walls. It certainly has plenty of large structure but not large enough for a microscale version to be very big. Without seeing it, the only thing that makes sense to me is a play scale set that just uses a lot of smaller pieces in specific places like rooftops, windows, rocks, trees, water, etc. idk I just can’t see a microscale Rivendell being much bigger than an Architecture set

1 hour ago, LegoAUT said:

The new Lion Knights Castle is just 1500 pieces off that range, so I can‘t see why it would‘ve to be microscale..

I figure Liscencing might also affect the price per piece ratio.

Edited by Triceron

13 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Where did the rumour that it was Rivendell come from?  I know reputable sources confirmed we were getting a D2C but who actually stated Rivendell. 

My understanding is that the initial Rivendell rumor came from leaky_minifigure on Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/p/ClZ_M3CpDUZ/

24 minutes ago, sebastian666 said:

I would be over the moon if we got something like this as the D2C Rivendell set. If it’s a bit more compact, still minifig scale, and includes lots of small pieces for roof tiles and water elements, could this still be a possibility?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnorJKRrVmX/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I think that would be the ideal outcome for 99% of the people in this forum. It's just (understandably) noone wants to get their hopes up.

Yes, it could be something similar to that but 25% of the overall size.

1 hour ago, sebastian666 said:

I would be over the moon if we got something like this as the D2C Rivendell set. If it’s a bit more compact, still minifig scale, and includes lots of small pieces for roof tiles and water elements, could this still be a possibility?

Yeah, I could see this. The 21,000 pieces makes me wonder where they'd slim it down and still be able to keep that incredible level of detail though. I'm trying to stay away from MOCs for Rivendell as much as possible so my expectations don't get skewed, but this one is hard to avoid!

I don't think the ppp ratio definitely means microscale. We have seen plenty of sets in the past that were minifigure-based with similar ppp numbers - Diagon Alley and the Ghostbusters Firehouse come to mind immediately as examples. 

3 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I don't think the ppp ratio definitely means microscale. We have seen plenty of sets in the past that were minifigure-based with similar ppp numbers - Diagon Alley and the Ghostbusters Firehouse come to mind immediately as examples. 

That's very true actually and Diagon Alley had multiple buildings included.  Do you have any idea what we would actually get though from Rivendell and if so what is the interior even going to be like as we didn't see much of it did we?

8 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

That's very true actually and Diagon Alley had multiple buildings included.  Do you have any idea what we would actually get though from Rivendell and if so what is the interior even going to be like as we didn't see much of it did we?

Diagon Alley might be the best comp to make us all hopefully. Almost the right piece count (5500), around the right number of figs (14), and around the right price ($450). 

9 hours ago, sebastian666 said:

LegMocLoc is an amazing LOTR MOCer, this Rivendell is incredible and I would love just a scaled down version of this as the D2C

I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but another argument for bringing LEGO LOTR back now as a full theme would be to set the stage for sets based on next year’s WB / New Line anime feature - War of the Rohirrim. It’s written by Philippa Boyen, narrated by Miranda Otto’s Eowyn, and set in Peter Jackson’s LOTR film world. Alan Lee and John Howe are overseeing the art - this thing has the potential to be a masterpiece and to bring in a new younger generation of LOTR fans. We’ve spoken quite a bit about the Rings of Power series, but not the War of the Rohirrim anime film. I think it could be key to LEGO LOTR’s return... (And our best chance at seeing a LEGO oliphant!)

The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-War-of-the-Roh

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/lord-of-the-rings-the-war-of-the-rohirrim-release-date-1235181646/

Imagine if we possibly have a D2C Medulseld set in store for us in 2024 to coincide with the release of War of the Rohirrim…

I still think Meduseld would the best D2C option for LOTR. There are so many minifig opportunities including a function to cure Theoden. Such great potential. I think the second best option aside from Barad-Dûr would actually be Minas Morgul. There’s Fell Beast potential as well as Witch King, other Nazgûl, orcs, Frodo, Sam, Gollum, and a hauntingly beautiful aesthetic for the build 

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I still think Meduseld would the best D2C option for LOTR. There are so many minifig opportunities including a function to cure Theoden. Such great potential. I think the second best option aside from Barad-Dûr would actually be Minas Morgul. There’s Fell Beast potential as well as Witch King, other Nazgûl, orcs, Frodo, Sam, Gollum, and a hauntingly beautiful aesthetic for the build 

I still think Minas Tirith would be the best D2C option for LOTR. Meduseld would be a close second though :-) Anyway, we will know soon enough (or late enough) after the Rivendell release if it is a one shot or if we have a chance of getting more LOTR sets in the years to come...

Edited by Altair1

1 hour ago, Altair1 said:

I still think Minas Tirith would be the best D2C option for LOTR. Meduseld would be a close second though :-) Anyway, we will know soon enough (or late enough) after the Rivendell release if it is a one shot or if we have a chance of getting more LOTR sets in the years to come...

I’m so scared for that answer…

2 hours ago, Altair1 said:

So do I. It is a bit like Rings of Power, in that it is more important to please "the masses" than it is to please die hard fans. What they make needs to be instantly recognisable for casual buyers. Like Bag End and Orthanc.

4 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I'd love Meduseld, but being realisitic, there are many better options. Minas Tirith, Bag End, Rivendell, Barad-Dur, Orthanac (again), etc. LOTR has no shortage of iconic locations and unfortunately I don't think Meduseld is high enough on that list to be the one chosen for the one-off flagship set (or, hopefully, the one that heralds in a new line of sets)

2 hours ago, MAB said:

So do I. It is a bit like Rings of Power, in that it is more important to please "the masses" than it is to please die hard fans. What they make needs to be instantly recognisable for casual buyers. Like Bag End and Orthanc.

Not everything. Start with the more recognizable stuff, and when the theme gains traction add some things that are more for fans

41 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'd love Meduseld, but being realisitic, there are many better options. Minas Tirith, Bag End, Rivendell, Barad-Dur, Orthanac (again), etc. LOTR has no shortage of iconic locations and unfortunately I don't think Meduseld is high enough on that list to be the one chosen for the one-off flagship set (or, hopefully, the one that heralds in a new line of sets)

I’m not talking about things that they’ll realistically choose based on what the casuals would recognize. I’m just talking about what objectively would make for great D2C sets. The whims of the normies are irrelevant to what actually makes a good set lol.

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

As much as a  $500 D2C of Bilbo's party could be amazing, if they continue down that path, I would love to see Rivendell, Minas Tirith and Meduseld before returning to the Shire or doing the 'other' black tower. As @sebastian666 mentions above, the Rohirrim anime does make a natural tie into the zeitgeist.

13 hours ago, mtrsteve said:

As much as a  $500 D2C of Bilbo's party could be amazing, if they continue down that path, I would love to see Rivendell, Minas Tirith and Meduseld before returning to the Shire or doing the 'other' black tower. As @sebastian666 mentions above, the Rohirrim anime does make a natural tie into the zeitgeist.

I would say my top five big sets (250+ D2C) would be (in no particular order).  Barad Dur, Minis Tirith (only one I think micro scale works best), meduseld, Loth Lorien, and Rivendell.   Runners up for me would be Bilbos party (we already have a decent bag end set), Argonath, Moria gates and watcher, Minis Morgul, helms deep (already have a decent one, I combined two of these sets to make it way better)  I would prefer smaller sets or dioramas for all of the later list (and tons of other sets) to capture the best scenes.

sounds like they need to do minis tirith (brings me back ten years saying that)

1 hour ago, Lordhelmet said:

I would say my top five big sets (250+ D2C) would be (in no particular order).  Barad Dur, Minis Tirith (only one I think micro scale works best), meduseld, Loth Lorien, and Rivendell.   Runners up for me would be Bilbos party (we already have a decent bag end set), Argonath, Moria gates and watcher, Minis Morgul, helms deep (already have a decent one, I combined two of these sets to make it way better)  I would prefer smaller sets or dioramas for all of the later list (and tons of other sets) to capture the best scenes.

sounds like they need to do minis tirith (brings me back ten years saying that)

Barad dur would admittedly be higher on my list if I hadn't just finished building this guy's MOC:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/RakRonDewl/lotr-mocs

Edited by mtrsteve
Missing word

A Lothlórien D2C similar to Ewok Village would be awesome. The largest section would be Celeborn’s and Galadriel’s flet, with other flets around it. And then have the mirror scene on the ground, and the boats as well. All with accurate scenery builds too