Kai NRG

Book III - Kaliphlin: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Thanks for the warm welcome fellows, glad to hear that my story sounds good to you! It feels so good to be back. :) I'll make a couple of separate introductory story posts later tonight, to kick things off. 

This is going to be awesome! I know I'm new to this, but still really excited to see where the story goes and how everyone here will contribute to Kaliphli!. I can at least assure you that I will do my best to make sure Mophet will be a sweet place to visit :laugh:  :wink:

Hey all;

Who's planning to build something for challenge I? :classic: I am planning to be as predictable as possible and build a shipyard - our navy and merchant ships need rebuilding, especially in Peregrinus! :bonaparte:

I'm hoping to build something for Challenge I relating to my sig-fig's story. That is, if their parts arrive in time.

Just posted a freebuild that i'd forgotten about- yeah i know it's set in the land of green tights, pls don't hold that against me! :wink: :laugh:

I also have a little cog with Kaliphlin colours that i built around the same time, but i still need to swap out minifigs for that - i'll try to get that sorted over the next couple of days.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:06 AM, Gideon said:

Working on an Aslanic temple in Barqa :wink:

Ooh nice, i'll be looking out for that! 

On 9/7/2018 at 1:54 PM, Windusky said:

I'm hoping to build something for Challenge I relating to my sig-fig's story. That is, if their parts arrive in time.

Good stuff! Hope the mail gods smile upon you... :wink: 

Btw, does anyone have any thoughts about posting challenge WIP's in this thread? I know some ppl prefer to keep things under wraps until they post, but i can't remember if there was a general rule about it or not. I quite like posting WIP's personally cause it helps me maintain momentum, and the feedback is often very useful. :classic:

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

Btw, does anyone have any thoughts about posting challenge WIP's in this thread? I know some ppl prefer to keep things under wraps until they post, but i can't remember if there was a general rule about it or not. I quite like posting WIP's personally cause it helps me maintain momentum, and the feedback is often very useful. :classic:

I don't think there's any rule about it... I remember sharing challenge WIPs in the past!

For me it was before I started to begin building the second to last day. :laugh:

On 9/4/2018 at 12:18 PM, Gabe said:

Hey all;

Who's planning to build something for challenge I? :classic: I am planning to be as predictable as possible and build a shipyard - our navy and merchant ships need rebuilding, especially in Peregrinus! :bonaparte:

Working on sort of a town-hall-looking thing which will be under construction.

On 9/8/2018 at 11:11 PM, Kai NRG said:

I don't think there's any rule about it... I remember sharing challenge WIPs in the past!

Yeah, i seem to remember doing that as well? But that was YEARS ago now :look: and i wasn't sure if the culture of GoH had changed at all in that regard. Cheers, i'll post an update soon then!

On 9/8/2018 at 11:14 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Yep, I used to share Challenge WIPs myself quite often!
Before I got lazy :laugh:

On 9/9/2018 at 1:05 AM, Kai NRG said:

For me it was before I started to begin building the second to last day. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: (Lol Issac calling yourself lazy... i don't think so!)

On 9/9/2018 at 6:49 AM, adde51 said:

Working on sort of a town-hall-looking thing which will be under construction.

Awesome! Look forward to seeing it! :excited:

On 9/8/2018 at 3:14 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Yep, I used to share Challenge WIPs myself quite often!
Before I got lazy :laugh:

Said the boy who pumps out three MOCs a week :tongue:

---

Looking forward to seeing all these challenge entries!

So i made a start on y challenge I build the other day... still at a bit of an undecided stage, despite the extensive tiling. 

WIP1_070918

It's going to be loosely based on an image of a Venetian shipyard that i found... plus some other bits and pieces. :classic: C&c welcome!

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

So i made a start on y challenge I build the other day... still at a bit of an undecided stage, despite the extensive tiling. 

That water is beautiful! The way you made it have depth with the gradient to darker tiles is nice. 

Edited by Windusky

@GabeExceptionally nice water!
Could you maybe enlighten us to what the combinations of plate + tile you've used for the different depths...? :classic:

I'm also working a bit with a Challenge III entry, starting out from the concept of a dome being repaired after copper thieves have taken advantage of the turmoil in Kaliphlin and that the city guards of Barqa have largely been away fighting in the war. Replicating the interior of a "planet dome" with droid arms and rigid hoses as a framework for a dome being reconstructed.
42823376040_2f0eaa38de.jpg

On 9/11/2018 at 2:56 AM, Gabe said:

It's going to be loosely based on an image of a Venetian shipyard that i found... plus some other bits and pieces. :classic: C&c welcome!

The tiling looks great with the color gradient, if you're going for a beach.  Isn't a harbor or shipyard usually going to want deep enough water to pull a ship up to the dock/let a ship out of dry dock?  Angles are awesome though!

Curious--what's that tool on the table to the left?

16 hours ago, Gideon said:

Replicating the interior of a "planet dome" with droid arms and rigid hoses as a framework for a dome being reconstructed.

That's just ridiculous.  Great idea, great execution.  Can probably even add some 1x1 clips to serve as brick/tile laying in work?  Or would that be one step too far?

16 hours ago, mrcp6d said:

That's just ridiculous.  Great idea, great execution.  Can probably even add some 1x1 clips to serve as brick/tile laying in work?  Or would that be one step too far?

Yes, I'm considering adding a few 1x2 tiles in dark orange as "fresh copper" to the dome. On this picture you can actually see a hint of an experiment with that on the far side of the dome :wink: 
I wasn't happy with the gaps between the tiles however, but maybe if I only place a couple of them and not adjacent to each other it is at least a hint of the dome being repaired.

My entry to Challenge I is now done and posted. Lots of fun to build so feel free to have a look and tell me what you think. Hope everyone elses MOCs are coming along nicely!

16 minutes ago, adde51 said:

My entry to Challenge I is now done and posted. Lots of fun to build so feel free to have a look and tell me what you think. Hope everyone elses MOCs are coming along nicely!

I hope you've saved some tan for more of Mophet! :wink:

The parts for my sigfig are taking a while to arrive, so is it okay for me to just post a temporary fig?

On 9/12/2018 at 1:22 AM, Windusky said:

That water is beautiful! The way you made it have depth with the gradient to darker tiles is nice. 

On 9/12/2018 at 8:33 AM, Kai NRG said:

I love the angles there @Gabe and like Windusky said the water looks wonderful!

Thanks Windusky, Kai! :classic:

On 9/12/2018 at 8:02 PM, Gideon said:

@GabeExceptionally nice water!
Could you maybe enlighten us to what the combinations of plate + tile you've used for the different depths...? :classic:

I'm also working a bit with a Challenge III entry, starting out from the concept of a dome being repaired after copper thieves have taken advantage of the turmoil in Kaliphlin and that the city guards of Barqa have largely been away fighting in the war. Replicating the interior of a "planet dome" with droid arms and rigid hoses as a framework for a dome being reconstructed.
42823376040_2f0eaa38de.jpg

Wow Gideon, that dome is sweet - perfect use for the slight curve on the droid arms! Such a useful size too - not outrageously huge. :wub:

Regarding the water, i used med blue, blue and dark blue for the base plate layer, topped with trans-clear, light trans-blue, dark trans-blue and dark blue tile (and a few plates and round plates for texture). It's pretty straightforward. :classic:

On 9/12/2018 at 9:23 PM, TitusV said:

Some really good WIPs here, I love both the dome and the shipyard :wub: 

Cheers Titus! :classic:

On 9/13/2018 at 12:54 PM, mrcp6d said:

The tiling looks great with the color gradient, if you're going for a beach.  Isn't a harbor or shipyard usually going to want deep enough water to pull a ship up to the dock/let a ship out of dry dock?  Angles are awesome though!

Curious--what's that tool on the table to the left?

Yeah, i guess it's a beach? Whatever they build boats on in drydock. I am thinking about having rails leading down from the drydock to the deeper water, to show how the ships are launched - i day say some of that nice tiling will get ripped up in the process, but i wanted to see how it looked first! :wink:

The tool is a palette knife - i have a few for peeling up tiles, especially tiles that are surrounded, where there really is no other way to get them out. The tip of the knife is thin and flexible enough to get underneath tiles and lever them out, and it doesn't scratch or gouge them either (it might scratch if you are rough, but there is no need to be). Great for seperating large plates too. I highly recommend them - v. useful. :classic:

15 hours ago, adde51 said:

Ooh. nice adde, I will have to go and take a look! :sweet:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shipyard WIP update - Not much progress yet, just building up the rockwalls and drydock areas.

WIP2_180918

7 hours ago, Windusky said:

The parts for my sigfig are taking a while to arrive, so is it okay for me to just post a temporary fig?

I say go for it! :sweet: