Flavius Gratian

[COR FB] Port Raleigh Lighthouse

George Sterling's first major project after establishing himself in Port Raleigh was the construction of a lighthouse.

43489498251_3a73633a75_b.jpg

A reef just off the River Oueens made sailing into the settlement very difficult, and even dangerous. This was the greatest reason why Port Raleigh had seen so few merchants and colonists arrive: ship captains simply
did not want to risk it, given the alternatives. The previous mayor, Lord Erie Flynn, too, had started construction of a lighthouse almost immediatly after founding the town. It had actually been quite close to finishing,
but the confusion caused by Lord Flynn's disappearence left the project without funding and proper care, and the lighthouse had been left to the elements. The old structure had worn so much that it had better be
torn down and the stone re-used.

With funding from his various associates, George Sterling had now managed the construction of a new lighthouse on the cliffs on the mouth of the Queens. As he introduced the new lighthouse keepers, they all
agreed, looking at the lighthouse rising white and tall above Port Raliegh, that it's fire would serve as a beacon to the citizens of the bright future that lay ahead.

41681561300_48ecff002a_z.jpg

41682436350_3ba988a7b8_z.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OOC: This will be licenced as a medium commerce. I have looked at previously buildt lighthouses in BoBS for inspiration and borrowed what I liked, mostly notably, of course, from @Ayrlego's Jameston lighthouse.
I'm very happy with this build, I actually think it's the best land based build I've done so far. I would have liked to add transparent ties to the water, but sadly I have very few.

I've also tried to fit the story with Sca's original one for Port Raleigh so there was some reading done to not create any plot holes.

C&C very much appreciated!

More pictures:

43441656272_324aaf8f61_c.jpg 41681561020_34464ffa5b_c.jpg 43441656152_e680a747be_c.jpg

41681560940_f275111f5f_c.jpg 43441656402_48ecff002a_z.jpg

A very nice build Flavius! The cliff is spectacular and great story! I'm looking forward to seeing how Port Raleigh progresses. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Nice lighthouse! I like how it is standing on the cliff's corner out into sea. 

Very nice! I really like it! Well proportioned, nice rockwork, and as RocketSeason pointed out, it does have something of a Classic-Pirates feel. :thumbup:

Great lighthouse Flavius. I like how the general shape and structure resembles the style of the one in Jameston but the details are significantly different. The large rock base also really helps make the MOC stand out. I agree the water could use some more detail, maybe if trans parts are rare then some white plates to resemble waves? Just an idea! Great job around and the effort to create a build and story that fits with the existing lore is great.

On 7/18/2018 at 6:16 PM, Spud The Viking said:

Beautiful build! I love the shape and texturing. Great work!

Thank you!

On 7/18/2018 at 6:16 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

A very nice build Flavius! The cliff is spectacular and great story! I'm looking forward to seeing how Port Raleigh progresses. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Thanks! I'm also very happy with the cliff. I didn't know I had so many grey slopes so it was a pleasant surprise. Stay tuned!

On 7/18/2018 at 6:56 PM, RocketSeason said:

Has a beautiful classic-pirates feel.  Really love it!

I didn't think about that, but you're right! Thanks!

On 7/18/2018 at 7:05 PM, Bart said:

Nice lighthouse! I like how it is standing on the cliff's corner out into sea. 

Thank you! Yeah, I thought that made most sense.

On 7/18/2018 at 8:40 PM, Capt Wolf said:

Very nice! I really like it! Well proportioned, nice rockwork, and as RocketSeason pointed out, it does have something of a Classic-Pirates feel. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! As said above I didn't intend for it to be classic pirate, but now that I think about it I'm happily surprised.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:06 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Yeah ! That's a beautiful lighthouse

Wonderful built !

Good job for the light itself and the rock work

Thank you! I was really happy with the rocks, and I think the light turned out prety well.

22 hours ago, Ross Fisher said:

Wow

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Great lighthouse Flavius. I like how the general shape and structure resembles the style of the one in Jameston but the details are significantly different. The large rock base also really helps make the MOC stand out. I agree the water could use some more detail, maybe if trans parts are rare then some white plates to resemble waves? Just an idea! Great job around and the effort to create a build and story that fits with the existing lore is great.

Thank you! I'm glad you don't think it's too similar. The rocks were really fun, and I was surprised at how many slopes I had. White plates are a good idea, but I'm very close to have use all of my white pieces or this build.