Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Should be 42008 instead

No, the long solid green angled panels are from the 24h race car. And I forgot the dark orange gearwheels and small lime panels which are probably from a future set (more CLAAS, please!) or another theme. Ohhhhh, AND the silver hubs from Star Wars and Nexo Knights - what?! *oh2*

I know, I'm ranting.

I hope you like it, @Bricksley! Nice job with the build and thanks for the pic! :classic:

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

No, the long solid green angled panels are from the 24h race car.

42039 uses light green dude. 42080 uses normal dark green, same green with that in 42008. Hence the rearrangement of set numbers, see? :tongue:

3 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

42039 uses light green dude. 42080 uses normal dark green, same green with that in 42008. Hence the rearrangement of set numbers, see? :tongue:

Oh, sod it. Well, I stand by my point. And that makes the solid green in 42080 even more inexplicable.

Maybe those parts are from a future set (John Deere, please!)

Edited by Maaboo35

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I'm getting "404 not found" when clicking the link. 

Interesting is that this works in Opera mobile browser and in Google Chrome don't...

@Ngoc Nguyen is right about green color BTW...

3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

@Bricksley - gotta ask, does the saw actually slice the log when you fold the cutting head over?

No, we've just visual effect. When we turn cutting head with vertical position to horizontal (by use black 20 tooth gear) saw blade falls - looks as if it was ready for cutting. 

And I fixed photo in my earlier post ;)

6 minutes ago, Bricksley said:

No, we've just visual effect. When we turn cutting head with vertical position to horizontal (by use black 20 tooth gear) saw blade falls - looks as if it was ready for cutting. 

Huh. That's a shame. :sceptic:

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I’m not sure I understand how people think a sawing function could be implemented :sceptic:

I figure it'd be easy enough for an impact from the saw piece to separate a stack of 2x2 round bricks without a central axle to brace them. Maybe have each log built from a few sections of bricks with 4l axles holding them together so each tree wouldn't burst into a dozen pieces upon being "sawed". 

26 minutes ago, conceitedguy said:

I figure it'd be easy enough for an impact from the saw piece to separate a stack of 2x2 round bricks without a central axle to brace them. Maybe have each log built from a few sections of bricks with 4l axles holding them together so each tree wouldn't burst into a dozen pieces upon being "sawed". 

I could see something like that working I’d guess, but you need significant force to separate it at the point of impact. It would likelier separate further away due to bending apart.

You could ask why include a seat when there's no driver I guess. Glad they changed it to grey. The red saw was just colour vomit AND made it look like it just chopped through a herd of cattle!

33 minutes ago, allanp said:

You could ask why include a seat when there's no driver I guess.

No, I don't follow that at all. All the seat is meant to do is be in the cab. The saw, on the other hand, is supposed to have a function and yet it doesn't. So why is it there?

16 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

But it clearly doesn't here.

Maybe the designer just couldn’t think of a way to make it work. Which mind you is just a sign of a bad designer. At least it spins I guess...

Edited by Bartybum

21 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Maybe the designer just couldn’t think of a way to make it work. Which mind you is just a sign of a bad designer. At least it spins I guess...

Also false advertising, since the box art shows the saw slicing a log.

32 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Also false advertising, since the box art shows the saw slicing a log.

Ehhh I dunno, probably not any more so than other box art. To be fair, I don’t think people are buying this primarily for the log slicing bit - they mainly care about the pneumatics

Edited by Bartybum

Just now, Bartybum said:

Ehhh I dunno, probably not any more false advertising than any other box art.

I actually can't think (off the top of my head, mind) of any other Technic set that so obviously misrepresents the functions therein. Yes, sometimes there's wheel blur or motion whoosh, but that merely means the set rolls. Yet 42080's box art clearly shows it performing something it in fact does not.

I don't know if somebody noticed but in set we've got 3 pendular axle: first (also steering), third and fourth, only second is fixed.

And new shape of blue small pump:

37618169_1048556748626189_50779025022050

1 hour ago, Bricksley said:

I don't know if somebody noticed but in set we've got 3 pendular axle: first (also steering), third and fourth, only second is fixed.

And new shape of blue small pump:

I knew it! The pump is new!

6 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

No, I don't follow that at all. All the seat is meant to do is be in the cab. The saw, on the other hand, is supposed to have a function and yet it doesn't. So why is it there?

Surely the purpose of a seat is to give the driver somewhere to sit, and not just to be in the cab. You could also ask why bother putting wings on Technic planes if they can't fly?! The reason Technic planes have wings is because real planes have wings. The reason this Technic forest harvester has a big circular blade is because real forest harvesters have them.

23 minutes ago, allanp said:

Surely the purpose of a seat is to give the driver somewhere to sit, and not just to be in the cab. You could also ask why bother putting wings on Technic planes if they can't fly?! The reason Technic planes have wings is because real planes have wings. The reason this Technic forest harvester has a big circular blade is because real forest harvesters have them.

Well, Technic planes clearly can't fly (not within retail standards at least), but the larger sets do often feature ailerons and other such features that act like the real thing and would likely affect their performance when swooshed through the air. If the saw on 42080 doesn't do what the real thing does for the price point, then it shouldn't be there. TLG should have just made a straight-up forest crane instead.

12 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

The saw does have a function. It't allows you to manually cut trees with a diameter too big to be cut by the machine.  
Or if you work in a storm damaged forrest where you can't reach with the machine. Anyway - you always need a saw for some jobs.