x105Black

LEGO Pet Peeves

3 hours ago, MAB said:

I wonder when "to lego" will become acceptable. After all, adults don't play with LEGO(R) / LEGO / Lego / lego (bricks) as we are on a higher plane. We lego.

I LEGO.

But let's not dwell on this particular pet peeve, please.  Let's hear other LEGO pet peeves that grind gears.

Shouldn't it also be Bricks Headz instead of Brick Headz, I mean after all, they all have multiple bricks in the head build. Kind of like the Teeth paste, Feet powder thing again. 

6 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Shouldn't it also be Bricks Headz instead of Brick Headz, I mean after all, they all have multiple bricks in the head build. Kind of like the Teeth paste, Feet powder thing again. 

It is actually BrickHeadz, not Brick Headz. Bricks Headz (or BricksHeadz) doesn't sound right, just like "bricks built" doesn't sound right, as in a brick built creature versus a bricks built creature.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

It is actually BrickHeadz, not Brick Headz. Bricks Headz (or BricksHeadz) doesn't sound right, just like "bricks built" doesn't sound right, as in a brick built creature versus a bricks built creature.

Yes, of course I am aware of that, the same way that Legos doesn't sound right, thanks to Lego Groups evil marketing department and attorneys. 

Pet peeve: Lego elements not coming in certain colors that seem obvious. The 1x1 round cones, for example, come in many shades of translucent... but not trans-clear. I have a whole row of cones with the corresponding color faceted jewel on top, but clear has to have the 1x1 round (not cone) and the inconsistency bugs me.

I'm also irritated that the trans-orange (not neon) jewel is rare, too. I want the full spectrum! :)

Edited by MandyNeko

Not really a Lego peeve but it is Lego related. People signing up to the forums just to resurrect a six year old topic and say "nice moc, you got instructions" and then never post again. 

On 4/17/2018 at 4:21 PM, fred67 said:

You can pluralize brand names, but it's certainly not "technically correct."

So I'm in a "beating a dead horse" mood now, but it IS wrong to say "ten Nintendos."  Nintendo is a company, so unless you're referring to 10 companies, all named "Nintendo," then it is, in fact, WRONG.

If you have 10 NES Consoles, then you have 10 Nintendo consoles.  If you have 10 Ford trucks, then you have 10 Ford trucks - you don't have 10 Fords.

When you were a kid, did you call your friend and say, "Hey, do you want to play Nintendo?"  Or did you actually say, "Hey, do you want to come over to play a video game on my Nintendo Entertainment System console?"

1 hour ago, kibosh said:

When you were a kid, did you call your friend and say, "Hey, do you want to play Nintendo?"  Or did you actually say, "Hey, do you want to come over to play a video game on my Nintendo Entertainment System console?"

Generally, had I had friends who I could have played video games with (I was not a very sociable kid), I would have said "Do you want to play video games?" or "Do you want to play *insert name of game here?*" I understand the descriptivist standpoint and in many ways agree with it, but at the same time, I think you're creating a false dichotomy when there are many ways to ask the same question that don't sound as forced as the one you describe. Why would you even say "Nintendo Entertainment System console" when even official Nintendo materials routinely abbreviate it to NES? I also don't think the "kid argument" is necessarily the strongest one you could be making for what's correct or natural. Just because "pasketi" is common kid vernacular for "spaghetti" doesn't mean it's any less weird or silly to hear it from an adult.

On that note, I have no problem with "I enjoy playing with LEGO". The word "bricks" or "sets" can be understood from context and does not necessarily need to be stated, same as how you can say "I can't stand listening to country" and people will understand you're talking about country songs or country albums or country music. So it's a little ludicrous to me when people act as people who don't prefer "Legos" are expecting people to babble some ridiculous mouthful like "LEGO brand brick-based building sets". Though sticking with that analogy a bit, I'd absolutely do a double take if somebody started referring to country songs as "countries"!

I will agree that the "LEGO" vs. "Legos" argument wears on me a lot. If people don't know that "Legos" is disrespectful to the brand, it makes sense to inform them maybe once, but not everyone cares about being correct or respectful to the brand, and you can't force them to care. I mean, I have no problem jokingly referring to Bionicle characters as "Bonkles" with my Bionicle-loving friends. I also don't care much about correctly referring to trademarks for brands I'm wholly indifferent to, like "Ferrari" vs. "Ferraris". If I were writing something professional or semi-professional like a news story where correctness actually makes a difference, I would say "Bionicle characters" or "Bionicle sets" or whatever's most appropriate in context, and I'd expect as much from another person doing the same. But when chatting in an informal setting it's silly and frankly alienating to get hung up on something so trivial.

1 hour ago, kibosh said:

When _I_ was a kid, my friends would have said "What's Nintendo?"  We also wouldn't have 'called' each other, we all had party lines and were told the phone was for adult use and emergencies only.

I remember when Pong came out and when they first put video game machines in the pinball parlors; my first Lego wasn't even Lego, it was made by Samsonite.  But I digress, that happens when you're older than dirt...

2 hours ago, kibosh said:

Seriously?  You're not understanding the argument at all.  I'm not objecting to how people talk, I'm objecting to someone calling it "technically correct" to talk that way.

On 4/17/2018 at 4:21 PM, fred67 said:

If you have 10 NES Consoles, then you have 10 Nintendo consoles.  If you have 10 Ford trucks, then you have 10 Ford trucks - you don't have 10 Fords.

Hate to admit it but I am guilty of this one. I have only owned 12 vehicles in my entire life most of them were Chevys but I have owned a couple of Fords. 

Blame it on American guy, Don Maclean who drove his Chevy to the levy.  :laugh:

1 hour ago, ShaydDeGrai said:

When _I_ was a kid, my friends would have said "What's Nintendo?"  We also wouldn't have 'called' each other, we all had party lines and were told the phone was for adult use and emergencies only.

I remember when Pong came out and when they first put video game machines in the pinball parlors; my first Lego wasn't even Lego, it was made by Samsonite.  But I digress, that happens when you're older than dirt...

Yeah, back then we had to go outside and play in the dirt, unless one of us had LEGOs and it was raining or snowing.

Back in my day we never had dirt, unless we made a fire over mud and it dried out. But we were too poor to have fire so it was always just a pipe dream

Bringing this back to pet peeves, one of mine is when TLG produces a cute hairstyle in a particular color for a specific character or license and then never uses the mold again.

Look, I just really want Hobbit hair in black and blond.

6 minutes ago, Karalora said:

Bringing this back to pet peeves, one of mine is when TLG produces a cute hairstyle in a particular color for a specific character or license and then never uses the mold again.

Look, I just really want Hobbit hair in black and blond.

That's a really good one.  For me as a fan of the Castle theme, I have the same feelings about visors and helmets.

On 4/19/2018 at 12:02 PM, Johnny1360 said:

Yes, of course I am aware of that, the same way that Legos doesn't sound right, thanks to Lego Groups evil marketing department and attorneys. 

To be honest I never heard anyone say 'Legos' until internet forums came around.  Is it more of a US way of speaking to pluralise this way compared to how we would naturally do it in the UK?

On 4/23/2018 at 1:48 PM, Giantorange said:

To be honest I never heard anyone say 'Legos' until internet forums came around.  Is it more of a US way of speaking to pluralise this way compared to how we would naturally do it in the UK?

I’ve heard it’s mostly a US thing, yeah.

On 4/20/2018 at 11:30 AM, fred67 said:

Seriously?  You're not understanding the argument at all.  I'm not objecting to how people talk, I'm objecting to someone calling it "technically correct" to talk that way.

If you want to get really technical, they didn't say it was "technically incorrect".  They said it wasn't "technically incorrect".

On 4/20/2018 at 11:06 AM, ShaydDeGrai said:

I must be just a touch younger than you.  While we had pong, Atari was our thing.  And we called each other every now and then.  Normally we'd just ride bikes to each others house and yell at their house until they came out.

A random one for me is how often AFOLs seem to come up with their own wonky definitions of the word modular. For instance, calling the Creator 3-in-1 modular houses “so-called ‘modular’ buildings” with scare quotes, despite them being arguably MORE modular than the Creator Expert ones, with rooms and walls interchangeable between parts of a build, different builds, or even different sets… but having no trouble calling Haunted House or Old Fishing Store a modular building because… it’s big and fancy and they like it? Even though none of the parts can really be re-arranged or connected to other sets?

7 hours ago, kibosh said:

Normally we'd just ride bikes to each others house and yell at their house until they came out.

Sorry but this made laugh so hard, it's exactly how we did it as kids as well. Just seems so funny now, thanks. 

I tend to agree, that is why I have exactly 0 baseplates, though even the full thickness ones Warp and curl. 

By the way what is the largest size plate commonly available? 

Edited by Johnny1360

5 hours ago, Blk69 said:

Ok have one more.  Why didn't TLG size baseplates as full thickness plates?  This just complicates everything and the thin baseplates warp and curl and just basically suck.  Would have been so much better if they were full size, we could attach bricks to both sides of the baseplate, much more firmer, would have prevented global warming, the world would just all around be a much better place to live in.

Due to how they are made. Large parts like baseplates are easier to make by vacuum forming.

Personally, I don't use baseplates either, as I prefer plates too.

18 hours ago, Aanchir said:

A random one for me is how often AFOLs seem to come up with their own wonky definitions of the word modular. For instance, calling the Creator 3-in-1 modular houses “so-called ‘modular’ buildings” with scare quotes, despite them being arguably MORE modular than the Creator Expert ones, with rooms and walls interchangeable between parts of a build, different builds, or even different sets… but having no trouble calling Haunted House or Old Fishing Store a modular building because… it’s big and fancy and they like it? Even though none of the parts can really be re-arranged or connected to other sets?

Don't you mean the UCS Modular Haunted House? :-)

Of course, UCS is another term that people throw around meaning big or detailed or better than something else.

8 hours ago, Blk69 said:

Ok have one more.  Why didn't TLG size baseplates as full thickness plates?  This just complicates everything and the thin baseplates warp and curl and just basically suck.  Would have been so much better if they were full size, we could attach bricks to both sides of the baseplate, much more firmer, would have prevented global warming, the world would just all around be a much better place to live in.

Odd.  I don't think I've ever had a baseplate warp on me.  Unless I stored it wonky somehow.

7 hours ago, kibosh said:

Odd.  I don't think I've ever had a baseplate warp on me.  Unless I stored it wonky somehow.

Yes, I'm sitting here looking at two warped 6x12 plates that came like that out of the box.  Don't remember any of my baseplates warping.  Don't you guys store them flat?  What's causing the problem?