Sign in to follow this  
The Stad

[Safe Haven Cat. B] The Peoples of the Great Wings

Far to the east of Historica lie the Great Wings, a series of vast lands that stretch for hundreds of miles, surrounded by innumerable smaller islands.  Many centuries ago, the Pinnothen fled the calamity of civil war in their home in the land that would become Historica and conquered much of this place.  They drove out the dark elves that had made their kingdoms there, built on the backs of slaves, and brought their worship of the Eight Children and their aspects (the Pinnothen's understanding of magic) to their new subjects.

40069835351_32449be09e_c.jpg

1) Champion of the 8

The most elite warriors and magic wielders of the Pinnothen, Champions are considered to be the Children's most favored, and often hold positions of high honor at temples and among noble households.  However, they devote their lives to study study and training, rarely intervening in the affairs of the world except in the most dire of circumstances.

40069832181_f1dd803f84_n.jpg 39170942595_3ff6dc6d6e_n.jpg

2) Chosen
Selected early in their youth to become highly versed in the Eight Aspects and their manifestations, Chosen are the most exceptional children of the nobility, trained with the sole purpose of attempting the Eight Trials when they come of age.  The few who survive this ordeal are offered places in the Royal Household, to elevate the position of their families and strengthen the power of the ruling bloodline.
25197785417_fb9ae6b156_n.jpg  39170940755_da73bbf802_n.jpg

3) Officiant of the Eight Trials
A master of their respective aspects, Officiants administer the Trials of the Eight to the Chosen.  It is a position of honor, but also one of great solemnity, as many Chosen die at the hands of the Officiants.  It is also a position of great peril, as the Chosen occasionally lose control of the aspects they wield, with disastrous results.
25197783957_9ac7969c13_n.jpg  25197783087_1f59bddcf3_n.jpg

4) Pilgrim of the Eight Paths
Like Champions, Pilgrims devote their lives to the study and application of the aspects.  Unlike the Champions, Pilgrims do this while practicing a lifestyle of asceticism and travelling the length and breadth of the Great Wings.  They are greeted with reverence in the towns they visit, and have been known to intervene with their abilities for the good of the commoners.
39170937995_f69168e4bb_n.jpg  25197781307_7dca7dfc5f_n.jpg

5) Heavy Phalanx
The primary strength of the Pinnothen standing army, the long spears and stout armor of the phalanx, bolstered by their rigid discipline and zealous conviction, have kept the lands of the Great Wings secure for millennia.  None withstood their advance during the Settling, and few have posed a serious threat to them in the time since.
39170936555_75cc2e490f_n.jpg  25197779157_f14c55ef8c_n.jpg

6) Pinnothen Voicecaster
Highly skilled in the Aspect of the Song, the Voicecasters issue commands at the front lines of the battlefield and relay information across great distances on behalf of the high commanders.  The mastery of their aspect allows them to be heard above the chaos, and some of the greatest voicecasters have been known to compel their enemies to lay down their arms with the power of their words alone.
25197777617_a67df69b2f_n.jpg  25197776027_b87db53d15_n.jpg

7) Order of the Hammer Acolyte
The Order of the Hammer is devoted to building, forging, and crafting, though an acolyte is not allowed to do any of that until they've proven their knowledge of all the materials the order favors.  Some acolytes spend years in the order before they're allowed to construct their own hammer.
26196386168_80505ed2c0_n.jpg  25197773557_ea59e9c56a_n.jpg

8) Order of the Pestle Healer Superior
The Order of the Pestle deals in the creation of medicines, foods, and even some poisons (though this knowledge is reserved for only a trusted few).  The Healer Superior carries an over-sized pestle as a symbol of his rank, and spends much of his time teaching and demonstrating for less-experienced adherents in one of the order's many temples.
26196384498_2984de1516_n.jpg  25197770827_615a1f3027_n.jpg

9) Order of the Stars Wayfinder
The Order of the Stars studies everything to do with the skies, from meteorology to navigation.  The wayfinders are renowned for their ability to find safe courses through even the most treacherous regions.  They are invaluable to the captains of ships that brave the unpredictable swells and jagged sea rocks of the Shattered Coast
40036821722_3c683b5226_n.jpg  25197766887_aee4e95f16_n.jpg

10) Forgotten Emissary
A high elf dignitary from the Mystic Isles, sent to the kings' court on the Old Shores, before the Kinsunder.  He followed the Pinnothen in their flight from the Faithless, then again across the shifting sea to the Great Wings, and has served as an observer and an adviser to every successive monarch in the millennia that followed. 
40036817232_74f61fc203_n.jpg  25197762487_20efeb36bd_n.jpg

11) Khashdin Animator
The Khashdin are not born, hatched, or summoned like other creatures of the world.  They are first shaped from stones and clay, and then granted life through means known only to the Animators.  They grow slowly over centuries by consuming the minerals around them, some becoming so vast that they can be mistaken for geographical features.
25197760457_e0f00af0bc_n.jpg  40036812712_d38c5af6b4_n.jpg

12) Khashdin Pyre Carver
As important to the life of the Khashdin as their creation by an animator is their transition from the moving stone back to the living stone of the earth.  Pyre Carvers prepare the place of a Khashdin's death, where they return their spirits to the ground and become one with the stone again.  Some among the Khashdin's few visitors mistake the figures that line the halls of their cities for statues, when they are in fact the honored dead.
25197758047_724c752223_n.jpg  40036809112_9d5ebf0db8_n.jpg

13) Khashdin Axe Bearer
The great leaders of the Khashdin are, invariably, colossal figures, slow-moving, and often unable to fit through even some of the grandest gateways.  Thus, they often deal with outsiders by way of emissaries.  These envoys, by bearing the axe of their ruler, show that they speak with his authority in all matters of trade, diplomacy, and war. 
25197755787_7797f83746_n.jpg  40036805372_2b12c233cd_n.jpg

14) Eastern Drow Stone Crusher
The Drow and the Khashdin, each living primarily beneath the surface of the earth, have been enemies for time immemorial.  While the Drow prefer to combat the Khashdin through guile and sorcery, occasions sometimes call for a less subtle form of confrontation.
40069819511_40740f66cf_n.jpg  25197753327_120d7c222d_n.jpg

15) Eastern Drow Subversive
When the Pinnothen first began the Settling, the Drow were at the height of their power in the Great Wings.  Now relegated to a few strongholds among the Featherstones in the east, they have been readying themselves for centuries to retake the land that was once theirs.  Subversives work in the shadows to sow seeds of discord among their enemies, making the land fertile for their reconquest. 
40069818321_030b37f41a_n.jpg  25197752307_a373383478_n.jpg

16) Flatwater Fisherman
The eastern reaches of the continent are broad, rolling grasslands, crisscrossed by ancient forests and vast, shifting river deltas.  Hundreds of small communities live along the banks of each river, the fishermen and merchants plying their trades from atop agile catamarans.
25197751507_c8b7472047_n.jpg  26196374588_7960828fca_n.jpg

17) Shattered Coast Slaver
Their kingdoms overthrown by the first Favored King after he led a slave revolt, most of the ancient slavers were hunted down and forced to capitulate or be destroyed.  A clever few, though, have managed to evade the Pinnothen for generations, hidden among the rugged cliffs and deep, rain-soaked valleys of the Shattered Coast.
26196373668_4ee995dc7e_n.jpg  26196372398_b3d4523558_n.jpg

18) Ancestor March
The tradition of the march dates back to the Old Shores, before the Settling.  When times are most desperate, the wizened elder warriors of a city don the black funerary armor and go out to stand between death and their descendants.
25197747487_ea3963dac0_n.jpg  25197746337_15f031fb49_n.jpg
Edited by The Stad

I am so far loving these figs and this new lands. I really like the sound of how they came to be and the figs all fit very well together. I would love to learn about the rest of this lore and the fascinating religion of these people. The fig combos all fit really well together, and I love the colours used :thumbup:

Really like how all your figs and lore turn around this central theme, the worship of the Eight Children :thumbup: 

I'm usually not a big fan of the CMF custom stuff, but I really like yours.  The series that you have seems to really go together, yet still has disparate enough to have seemingly multi factions.  Awesome!

Some great figures, I especially like the Pinnothen Voicecaster, Flatwater Fisherman and Shattered Coast Slaver! :thumbup:

On 2/3/2018 at 11:46 PM, The Maestro said:

I am so far loving these figs and this new lands. I really like the sound of how they came to be and the figs all fit very well together. I would love to learn about the rest of this lore and the fascinating religion of these people. The fig combos all fit really well together, and I love the colours used :thumbup:

Thank Maestro, I'm looking forward to fleshing out this place too.  I've already got a lot more lore that I hope to tie into my Mitgardian builds, so hopefully I can find the time to do a lot more building soon.

On 2/4/2018 at 6:40 AM, TitusV said:

Really like how all your figs and lore turn around this central theme, the worship of the Eight Children :thumbup: 

Thank you TitusV, I was thinking about how so many cultures are defined by their beliefs and the way that they interact with their faith in their daily lives, and it developed into (what I consider) an interesting mix of characters and groups.

19 hours ago, Grover said:

The series that you have seems to really go together, yet still has disparate enough to have seemingly multi factions.

Thank you Grover! I was certainly aiming for coherence, and showing that groups that interact with each other will influence the styles and cultures of one another while also maintaining their own unique features.

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Some great figures, I especially like the Pinnothen Voicecaster, Flatwater Fisherman and Shattered Coast Slaver! :thumbup:

Thanks Exetrius, those are some of my favorites too.  The screaming face from Black Canary was one of the highlights of the new TLBM CMF line for me, and I just had to use it for the Voicecaster.

This is great! I love many of your figs, especially since they are fleshie (I am partial to them myself, and generally dislike the yellows). I find the idea of the Kashdins interesting, though I don't really like the figs of them (too Nexo Knight for me, maybe). The Chosen and Champion of the 8, as well as the Officiant, are my favorites, though all of the human figs are pretty cool. I hope you share more of the story of these people soon, as all of the lore and culture is very fascinating. 

Very refined minifig combos :wub: Champion, Chosen, Pilgrim, and the Wayfinder are my favorites :thumbup:
The long spears and banner of the phalanx and voice caster are really neat :classic:

This is probably my favorite so far. I like seeing the beard-hair technique I used for the kappa and oni in my Yureishima set. I really like the lore here and it's what gives it an edge for me.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:36 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

This is great! I love many of your figs, especially since they are fleshie (I am partial to them myself, and generally dislike the yellows). I find the idea of the Kashdins interesting, though I don't really like the figs of them (too Nexo Knight for me, maybe). The Chosen and Champion of the 8, as well as the Officiant, are my favorites, though all of the human figs are pretty cool. I hope you share more of the story of these people soon, as all of the lore and culture is very fascinating. 

Thanks Henjin, I've been gravitating slowly closer and closer to the fleshie side, especially as the torsos with fleshie coloring get better and more interesting.  The Nexo-ness of the Khashdin comes partly from their origination in that particular theme, but I thought that some of the designs there really lent themselves to a crystalline/geological aesthetic, which made sense to me for a species made of rocks.

On 2/14/2018 at 6:48 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Very refined minifig combos :wub: Champion, Chosen, Pilgrim, and the Wayfinder are my favorites :thumbup:
The long spears and banner of the phalanx and voice caster are really neat :classic:

Thank you Soccerkid, I hope they look as formidable as I had imagined them!

17 hours ago, mccoyed said:

This is probably my favorite so far. I like seeing the beard-hair technique I used for the kappa and oni in my Yureishima set. I really like the lore here and it's what gives it an edge for me.

Thanks mccoyed, that's high praise given the competition out there.  The beard hair was the best option I could find to cover up the back of that head, and I thought it seemed sufficiently mystical/mysterious for the character.  I'm glad you like the lore too!