Sucram

[MOC] Plus-Size Millennium Falcon?

Thanks for the additional pictures, looks like the Holochess area should fit nicely into that recess in the front and then really all you've got to do is put down some grill pieces and tiles, add the large pipes next to Han's console and cover up the multicoloured walls. 

@Retro The Main Hold is the room with the Holochess table. There is a great book called "Millennium Falcon: Owner's Workshop Manual" that includes blueprints and floorplans for different versions of the YT-1300 Freighter and of course the Falcon itself. I use that book as reference for everything concerning the Falcon. 

Do I see both Chewbacca and Han sitting on proper seats in your model's cockpit there? Have you got any detailed shots of how that fits together? I've been trying to get that to work for years now without any success..

Edited by Kit Bricksto

@Retro I just temporarily removed the light battery. But I know where I can put it where it wont be seen.

28 minutes ago, Kit Bricksto said:

Thanks for the additional pictures, looks like the Holochess area should fit nicely into that recess in the front and then really all you've got to do is put down some grill pieces and tiles, add the large pipes next to Han's console and cover up the multicoloured walls. 

@Retro The Main Hold is the room with the Holochess table. There is a great book called "Millennium Falcon: Owner's Workshop Manual" that includes blueprints and floorplans for different versions of the YT-1300 Freighter and of course the Falcon itself. I use that book as reference for everything concerning the Falcon. 

Do I see both Chewbacca and Han sitting on proper seats in your model's cockpit there? Have you got any detailed shots of how that fits together? I've been trying to get that to work for years now without any success..

Yes I have started on the main hold. I am basing it off the UCS one, but things need to be rearranged to fit in the space.

48651898071_104d1059dc_b.jpgInterior WIP by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

I have ordered the pieces to make the seating area the right colours, and I have also ordered the holochess piece from the 75105 set. I wasnt about to play 20 dollars for the UCS one, plus that one is too big for my room (4x4 instead of 2x2). I will cover the wall behind the seating so its less ugly. I decided to just use the computer console from the original 7965 that was already there, since its not very accurate but i think it looks pretty good, plus didnt want to spend ages getting rid of it.

48651897801_39da017317_b.jpgInterior WIP by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

The large pipe things next to Han's computer will instead go along the right wall where the 2x2 peg piece is. I will also add Lukes blaster helmet on the left next to the support for the radar dish. I will add the hallway entrance leading to the back compartment as well. I didnt completely tile it because I wanted to stand minifigs around, but do you guys think the floor looks too random? I kind of do.

@Kit Bricksto I added an album of pictures on Flickr. It's fiddly and imperfect but it does mean Chewie can sit on a red chair (I spent aeons trying to decipher the Flynn/Flail pictures.)

20190831_091817-1

@LEGODrongo01

For the floor, I covered the whole floor of 7965 with plain dark bley plates, with one or two small areas of dark bley or black grills. I think your floor is maybe a bit too random, as you say. Plus tiles mean you can't stand the figs. But it's all a matter of taste. Great to see your progress. :thumbup:

@Retro My cockpit is constructed the same way as yours. Is this tutorial by you? 

Yeah I will just leave the floor as is for now, but will make the back area just studs. Its just easier. I also filled in the space behind the seating so it looks much nicer, will post updated pics tomorrow.

@LEGODrongo01 No, not me. If you click on one of my pictures and look in the Flickr albums you will see that, while mine is similar, the way I connect onto the body of the ship is different because I have a door there. 

I based mine on Flynn2000, who in turn based it on Flail, who I presume invented the method. I don't know if this link works. But the trick is to get that cockpit assembly to sit at just the right position vertically and horizontally to fit the figures!  

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=86875

Just now, Retro said:

@LEGODrongo01 No, not me. If you click on one of my pictures and look in the Flickr albums you will see that, while mine is similar, the way I connect onto the body of the ship is different because I have a door there. 

I based mine on Flynn2000, who in turn based it on Flail, who I presume invented the method. I don't know if this link works. But the trick is to get that cockpit assembly to sit at just the right position vertically and horizontally to fit the figures!

Ah OK. I think the best cockpit I have seen in the one on Marshall Banana's Falcon. I would love to somehow get mine like this.

23653027944_06a4435657_c.jpgMillennium Falcon by Marshal Banana, on Flickr

@LEGODrongo01 Wow, that was quick! Really like where this is going. The seating really fits in nicely and I think keeping the console that way should be absolutely fine. Interesting idea to change the position of the pipes, too. Makes it a lot easier to keep the back accessible on that side.
I agree with your feeling about the floor. I think having the studs exposed where Han sits is fine but maybe you could try and either put the grill pieces everywhere on the right or just where the maintenance hatches are and leave the rest of the studs exposed.

@Retro Thanks for the breakdown picture and the link to the Flail Falcon, I didn't actually know that one! I once asked Marshal Banana if he could explain or show us how he got the figures in side by side but he never responded. My current solution has brick built seatbacks that I quite like but they just sit on the floor. As long as there are figures in the cockpit you can't see that though, so I'll probably keep it that way for now. I think Marshal might actually have built his in a similar fashion.

@Kit Bricksto Yeah I think you are right about the seats. One thing I noticed when looking at the Falcon cockpit is that the 2 front seats are more normal looking seats, while the 2 back ones are the tall "star-warsy" ones.

c5dc5fa5a9e3cff904cb6d48eb8cdbce.jpg

I know this pic is from Solo, but the point still stands. So using normal minfig seats is probably quite accurate.

Wow, totally missed this one during my absence! Great Job! I see lots of things that would fit my Falcon aswell!

Great to see all the different solutions for the Cockpit, it is really one of the most challenging Aspects to a System Falcon. I also used  @mcphatty´s Version behause I like the Detail but I’d love to see fitting more minifings into to Cockpit.

keep up the Great work!

Edit: I uploaded my Falcon to BL If you‘d like have a Look to my interior for my Falcon. Or Flickr of course 

Stifos

Edited by stifos

@stifos your Falcon is incredible! Your interior is especially great and I will definitely be stealing some concepts from it. I find that trying to fit more than 2 people into the cockpit just compromises the detail and look so I just stick to 2.

@stifos Inthert acutally managed to squeeze in four figures. Han and Chewie are held in place by their yokes but the back two figures just seem to sit on tiles. Still, if the model isn't meant for heavy play I think they should be alright, it is all a rather tight fit after all.

Millennium Falcon - Interior (Cockpit)

His model is next to yours probably my favorite system-scale Falcon and definitely worth checking out for everyone who doesn't know it already. The amount of detail at this scale is insane.

Back with another interior update, as my bricklink order arrived with the pieces I needed.

48685865333_f8a5ed12a0_b.jpgFalcon Interior Update by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

The holochess board piece is really amazing, such an improvement from the crappy sticker on the 7965.

48685865368_3357292080_b.jpgFalcon Interior Update by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

The big pipes on the side aren't in accurate spot but I still think they look pretty good. The design for them as well as the seating area was mostly stolen from the UCS set.

48686379377_91224a95f5_b.jpgFalcon Interior Update by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

Here is the view through the hallway. The top of the hallway entrance had to be cut off due to space and structural issues, but I think it's not that big of an issue. Now to start on the back section...

I like the update! The pipes are not acutally that wrong where you put them. If you look closely in ANH you can see that the other side of the hold has very similar pipes, too. Maybe you could put more tiles underneath it though instead of the last row of grill pieces. There is a slightly raised part of the floor right where the pipes are in the Falcon so that would be quite an accurate representation. :) 

The UCS bench also works very well here. And I agree about the holochess part. I think it's probably my favorite SW-specific printed part of at least the last ten years.. 

If you like it you are welcome to use my corridor design (have a look at my Playscale Correlian Senate Ship). If I counted the plates correctly it should just about fit underneath your structural parts without anything being cut off. :) 

Edited by Kit Bricksto

@Kit Bricksto thanks for the hallway idea, but I think for now I will just stick with what I have currently, since I cannot be bothered to take it apart again and redo it right now.

48687324988_8faf68c553_b.jpgFalcon interior back update by Marcus Holtznagel, on Flickr

This room will be the bed room, and then the room on the other side will be the hyperdrive area. The wall in the middle just barely fits when the panels are closed.

UPDATE

After much difficulty trying to fit 4 figures in the cockpit, I ended up just staggering them, which I think works well enough. I will update the console to look better eventually.

48726615992_3d6e4c5e09_b.jpgFalcon new update by Sucram H, on Flickr

I kinda threw this room together quickly, not accurate at all., Will definitely change this.

48726616327_156a7fcd0f_b.jpgFalcon new update by Sucram H, on Flickr

And this room will be improved too.

48726616607_e001246d78_b.jpgFalcon new update by Sucram H, on Flickr

Next I want to redo some of the exterior details.

I think the arrangement of the figures in the cockpit completly works. Just don't make the console asymetrical though, please. :D That way the fact that they are staggered would become more obvious.

The crew quarters room feels very empty right now and I think that might be because it is so big. Have you tried going for a more accurate three-room-arrangement for the back half? I think that should be possible and would make the rooms feel less empty. Then you might also be able to put the battery pack in the smaller side-hold that never really gets much attention anyway and have a nice cable-free engine room.

Keep us posted on your progress - both on the exterior and interior. ;)

7 hours ago, Kit Bricksto said:

I think the arrangement of the figures in the cockpit completly works. Just don't make the console asymetrical though, please. :D That way the fact that they are staggered would become more obvious.

The crew quarters room feels very empty right now and I think that might be because it is so big. Have you tried going for a more accurate three-room-arrangement for the back half? I think that should be possible and would make the rooms feel less empty. Then you might also be able to put the battery pack in the smaller side-hold that never really gets much attention anyway and have a nice cable-free engine room.

Keep us posted on your progress - both on the exterior and interior. ;)

I was considering the 3 room setup but I thought it would be more difficult to build. At some point Im sure I will make it 3 rooms.

Hey! Im back with a few small tweaks I've made to the build. The mandibles are a temporary update while I gather the pieces to completely rebuild them Marshal Banana style!

48884271092_b2e26c5c6d_b.jpgFalcon Mandibles Tweaks by Sucram H, on Flickr

48883559758_6fbc075a89_b.jpgFalcon Turret Tweaks 2 by Sucram H, on Flickr

In other news, I just downloaded stud.io and will be attempting to build this MOC on that program. I've never used it before so it will be a while, but we will see. I will also be able to make improvements to the build that I would'nt have been able to IRL without taking it apart.

Apologies for the bump, but I'm currently designing my own plus-sized Falcon (as I cannot afford the UCS one) in LDD, and I'm having trouble with the mandibles. I'm using the same Technic method as the UCS model, however I cannot seem to get them to attach in more than once place. The shorter length of the mandibles doesn't seem to be playing nicely with the angle used by the UCS model. Does anyone have any ideas of how to connect them in a study way?

On 12/30/2019 at 12:13 AM, Willsy said:

Apologies for the bump, but I'm currently designing my own plus-sized Falcon (as I cannot afford the UCS one) in LDD, and I'm having trouble with the mandibles. I'm using the same Technic method as the UCS model, however I cannot seem to get them to attach in more than once place. The shorter length of the mandibles doesn't seem to be playing nicely with the angle used by the UCS model. Does anyone have any ideas of how to connect them in a study way?

I did mine the same way as the UCS too, and it worked for me. I don't know if the angle I have on my one is the exact same as the UCS one, but its close. Do you have any photos of the issue?

On 1/1/2020 at 5:47 AM, LEGODrongo01 said:

I did mine the same way as the UCS too, and it worked for me. I don't know if the angle I have on my one is the exact same as the UCS one, but its close. Do you have any photos of the issue?

Sorry for the late response, I managed to take a screenshot of what I meant. The red ratcheted hinge just won't line up with any studs, I've tried many solutions such as altering where the hinge is attached but nothing has worked so far. I'm not sure if it's because the way I've designed it is physically impossible or it's LDD being finicky. 

24wEpvR.png%5D

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :classic:

It is definitely possible that LDD is being annoying. I did my connection with one of those bracket piieces with studs on the side and 2 clicky hinge plates:

49318896283_6560a9a50e_b.jpghinge2 by Sucram H, on Flickr

49318898103_d37b74a171_b.jpghinge1 by Sucram H, on Flickr

Maybe that will work? Its a very good idea to test in real life if you can. Hope this helps

Amazing work there!  It's cool seeing how you were able to work around the structure to get the passageways in there.  Were you ever able to get an idea for the cockpit?  If you were able to afford moving the cockpit forward, you can add 2 sets of 4 noodle bricks to add room for the rear sets of seating.  Mine is close to the ones mentioned before but I use a 1x2 brick with the 2 technic holes within it.  No real seating, but it can hold a family of wookies if I wanted to.

20 hours ago, LEGODrongo01 said:

It is definitely possible that LDD is being annoying. I did my connection with one of those bracket piieces with studs on the side and 2 clicky hinge plates:

49318896283_6560a9a50e_b.jpghinge2 by Sucram H, on Flickr

49318898103_d37b74a171_b.jpghinge1 by Sucram H, on Flickr

Maybe that will work? Its a very good idea to test in real life if you can. Hope this helps

Oh thank you so much! I will definitely need to give this a try with my Falcon when I get it back, I have my heart set on the idea of bringing UCS buliding techniques across to it since I cannot afford that set. 

On 1/3/2020 at 6:25 PM, Tuskano said:

Amazing work there!  It's cool seeing how you were able to work around the structure to get the passageways in there.  Were you ever able to get an idea for the cockpit?  If you were able to afford moving the cockpit forward, you can add 2 sets of 4 noodle bricks to add room for the rear sets of seating.  Mine is close to the ones mentioned before but I use a 1x2 brick with the 2 technic holes within it.  No real seating, but it can hold a family of wookies if I wanted to.

Reveal hidden contents

I just have my 4 figures sitting staggered, Theres not any seating or anything like that but it gets the job done.