37626760771_fbe7d5176d_c.jpg

Elizabethville has grown considerably in the year and a half since it was officially founded. Though its position on an island made up primarily of plains has created a diverse growth of the island. Some people have build clapboard buildings, others have used stone or brick, while some are building log cabins for themselves and their families. Malcolm and Serena Otis are one such couple. They lived in the slums of Belson before they heard about the opportunity to settle in a new colony. They scrimped and saved every last penny, and eventually set sail for Elizabethville aboard the Soupfish. Now that they are here, they have claimed a farm and have built a log cabin from the trees they have cleared from the land. As the crops haven't come up yet, they are living off of the land. It isn't an easy life, but it is a better life than they had in Belson. Malcolm is off to try and get enough meat for the week, as Serena takes care of their one month old baby and collects herbs from the countryside. 

Note: I was in need of more residences in Elizabethville, and wanted to try my hand again at a log cabin. This one is much more stable than the last one, though it really wouldn't take a lot of handling well. Mesabi, I had planned an interior but in the end beams were attached inside that prevented a look at anything inside. Here is another angle:  

23773517618_b6965ca040_z.jpg

Great log cabin, especially the roof which you've managed to integrate really well with the SNOT walls.

I love the story that goes with it, best of luck to the young couple- I hope the new world is all they dreamed of!

Very nice peaceful scene!  I like the details like the stack of logs and the firepit! :thumbup: 

A beautiful little lodging perfect for the frontier. I like how you made the overlapping, interspersed log ends without using headlight bricks of any kind. :)

Also the use of green and white background here works brilliantly!

On 10/11/2017 at 2:18 AM, Ayrlego said:

Great log cabin, especially the roof which you've managed to integrate really well with the SNOT walls.

I love the story that goes with it, best of luck to the young couple- I hope the new world is all they dreamed of!

Thank you! I gave up on making the upper section also SNOT, as that was my failing last time. I am pleased to hear that you like the way it integrated, though there is a small gap where the roof doesn't fit down completely on the framing. 

On 10/11/2017 at 6:23 AM, Spud The Viking said:

I also love the log cabin. The way you manged to put in the door and windows is great. Those logs are also a nice touch!

The door ended up being super simple but effective. It does open and close but might also pop off when trying. The windows were an inspiration from Mike's log cabin,  that I loved and used variations of on all three attempts I have done at log cabins. 

On 10/11/2017 at 6:26 AM, Kai NRG said:

Very nice peaceful scene!  I like the details like the stack of logs and the firepit! :thumbup: 

I need to get a better birds eye view for the firepit as it had some details that didn't show up. I had taken one but I was running out of daylight when I photographed it so it didn't turn out. The logs were a fun addition. 

On 10/11/2017 at 1:05 PM, blackdeathgr said:

Great log cabin!! Also, those log round tiles rock!!!

I loved those tiles from the first time I saw them so I had to get them when I had the chance. Then I had to use them, thus here they are. 

6 hours ago, Bregir said:

A beautiful little lodging perfect for the frontier. I like how you made the overlapping, interspersed log ends without using headlight bricks of any kind. :)

Also the use of green and white background here works brilliantly!

I bought the green poster board for builds with lots of grass, but hadn't done one in a while so this was a perfect time to put it to use.  There is 1 square snot brick on each side which are connected to a frame I built on the inside. Once the frame is pulled out each wall is simply freestanding. This allowed me to do the ends as you have observed and got ride of the need for any attachments to the ground and headlight bricks. Also the interior floor and the exterior grass keep the house in place. 

2 hours ago, SilentWolf said:

the exterior grass keep the house in place.

Remind me not to ask you to engineer a house for me... :pir-wink:

Thanks for the info on how you set it up, btw.

The cabin is lovely, as are the logs and the (hardly seen) smal lfireplace. The minifigs fit in really well. Great stuff.

My favourite part is the dark tan path, integrating perfectly within the green grass. Wonderful!

However I do think the green baseplate could have liked some more detail, like a small rock, or a flower or two, a brush, some undergrowth, just some minor details. Aside from that it's great!

On 10/13/2017 at 2:14 AM, Bregir said:

Remind me not to ask you to engineer a house for me... :pir-wink:

Thanks for the info on how you set it up, btw.

So sad! I was just about to volunteer to build you a nice cabin. You are welcome. 

On 10/14/2017 at 5:12 AM, Elostirion said:

The cabin is lovely, as are the logs and the (hardly seen) smal lfireplace. The minifigs fit in really well. Great stuff.

My favourite part is the dark tan path, integrating perfectly within the green grass. Wonderful!

However I do think the green baseplate could have liked some more detail, like a small rock, or a flower or two, a brush, some undergrowth, just some minor details. Aside from that it's great!

Thank you very much. I realized too late that none of the pictures got a good view of the fireplace. A bush or rock would probably have been a good choice. Hopefully I remember it next time. :laugh:

I totally missed this build when first posted. Great job with the log cabin, especially the interlocking SNOT walls. Good roof, and nice exterior details like the log pile and such. Good job with the minifigs, too. Well done! :thumbup: