jus1973

Modular rebuild. Some thoughts

Hi all,

So I’ve just finished rebuilding all my modulars after moving home.  I never had the space to get the 5 all lined up in one go before and I’ve realised a couple of things doing it.

Firstly, although I love the Parisian Restaurant, it really doesn’t look right sitting next to any of the more recent modulars.  So much so, that I’m almost tempted to discount it as a modular. It’s smaller in stature, and the style is more house like than any other building.  Any thoughts? 

Secondly, despite meticulous deconstruction and then reconstruction, I’ve found I have some missing parts and some extras.  Weirdly, quite a few of the extras are the little things you lose, if you're not careful.  The missing bits have tended to be regular parts I could resupply from the parts bins.  Although I am missing the top of the palace cinema sign altogether, which is more than a bit odd. The building and demolition took place in a hard wood floored room, and furniture has been thoroughly checked.  It’s driven me mad.  Has anyone else experienced this strange phenomenon?

Any way, it’s nice to have all 5 built together, in some form of street.  Considering a GBHQ to add in to the street, with maybe a mod or two, since I can’t wait for the 2018 modular to hit the stores near me. That’ll be the summer realistically. 

I think its a spectacular building, but if you don't think the style is right for your street why don't you make an MOC out of the parts. I find it interesting that you only have a problem with PR’s height, if anything I found the BrickBank to be too short to work with other modulars so I increased its height by one row of top-floor windows.

Brickbank height extension.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I only have a few officials built, while most are MOCs, so I can't say what fits and what doesn't. But I would say the PR is one of the best looking modulars IMO, so I would try to use that as more of a centerpiece and work around it (in my own line-up). As for height, I think all of the newer sets are a bit too short, but typically lengthening them without changing the width does tend to make them look a bit wonky. I like well proportioned buildings and at this scale, it can get tricky.

As for missing pieces, I can't answer that. I've been missing small bits from new builds, but never full large portions (except for the FB debacle years ago). Things always turn up where you least expect them.

And if you are concerned about height, don't add the GBHQ. That thing is massive and makes every other set look tiny. It isn't a modular, so adding it to the modular street it feels out of place. I chose not to buy it and instead built Firehouse 23 in L.A. where a lot of the interior shots were filmed for the movie.

Parisian Restaurant is frequently discussed as one of the best official modulars but I get what you're saying about it's size in relation to the others. Check out this fantastic MOD by member Superfunk that makes it full 32-stud-width and 4-stories tall:

Ghostbusters FIrehouse Headquarters can also be fairly easily modified to fit with the modulars and you'll have some leftover parts to use for something else. I did this one but am still perfecting it:

39135477352_933da0c83e_c.jpg

Edited by koalayummies

I've experienced the 'missing pieces' problem after dismantling a set and rebuilding it again. No idea where the piece went, or how it went missing because I am always careful about storing them properly. It may be that large pieces get mixed up with other sets but as for the small parts, they just seem to multiply.

57 minutes ago, Isavarg said:

I've experienced the 'missing pieces' problem after dismantling a set and rebuilding it again. No idea where the piece went, or how it went missing because I am always careful about storing them properly. It may be that large pieces get mixed up with other sets but as for the small parts, they just seem to multiply.

Seriously! I am convinced this piece has the ability of reproduction, you just touch one of these at the Pick A Brick wall and all of a sudden they're everywhere:

98138pb007.png

In a lineup, the Market Street "market" looks really good next to the restaurant. i turned the top of the market into an extended seating and garden area for the restaurant. 

I get the impression that a few of the older modulars sit better with PR, than the new ones.  I read of a Phase 1of modulars and a phase 2, which the DO, AS, BB, and PC belong to.  PR was phase 1 and so more individualised.  I can’t tell as I only have the last 5 modulars.

Cant wait to see the next one.

On 28.9.2017 at 12:44 PM, jus1973 said:

I get the impression that a few of the older modulars sit better with PR, than the new ones.  I read of a Phase 1of modulars and a phase 2, which the DO, AS, BB, and PC belong to.  PR was phase 1 and so more individualised.  I can’t tell as I only have the last 5 modulars.

Cant wait to see the next one.

Usually the line is drawn between Town Hall & Palace Cinema, with Palace Cinema being the first of the 2nd gen (due to it only having one upper floor). Looking back, one might argue for it to be the last of the first generation, though. But PR is definitely 2nd gen, as it was the first that was visibly (and intentionally) sized down on the outside to free up pieces for more inside detailing (Jaime Berard even commented on it in the designer video)

13 minutes ago, RogerSmith said:

Usually the line is drawn between Town Hall & Palace Cinema, with Palace Cinema being the first of the 2nd gen (due to it only having one upper floor). Looking back, one might argue for it to be the last of the first generation, though. But PR is definitely 2nd gen, as it was the first that was visibly (and intentionally) sized down on the outside to free up pieces for more inside detailing (Jaime Berard even commented on it in the designer video)

I stand corrected.  I still maintain that excepting the PR, all the more recent ones have a flow to them that make them seem like a city block.

I think PR really pairs best with Pet Shop. Heck for a near perfect effect split the Pet Shop and put its to buildings on either side of PR. The Blue building then makes a great transition to DO, with in turn transitions perfectly to the Brick Bank.