Lord Buckethead

[COR - AUG FB] The Office of the Royal Corps of Engineers in Port Woodhouse

"FIRE!!!!" yelled the artillery sergeant as the rocket burst in to the air. As the artillery men went about testing their new prototype rocket they were watched by Leftenant Gibson of the Engineers and Captain Bowles of the Royal Navy. The Army had already approved the prototype rocket for use but the Navy was rather reluctant.

"I don't doubt their combat effectiveness Leftenant, but what are the chances they hit the rigging of our own ships, the potential damage is devastating" yelled Captain Bowles trying to be heard over the screeching sound of the rocket.

"I understand sir, however the Navy already makes use of mortars on board ships these rockets wouldn't need to be positioned differently from them" replied Leftenant Gibson trying to sound as if he believed it himself despite the fact he knew it wasn't true.

"Leftenant, I think it best we end our conversation here, I will not endanger our ships by fitting them with these machines, the potential harm they may cause us simply outweighs any harm we could cause the enemy. However I can approve your rockets for Marines when on land, Good day Leftenant." said the Captain before he left.

The Leftenant knew he would never be able to get his rockets onto Navy ships so the marines were the best he could hope for, he let out a small smile while watching another rocket being launched into the air.

OhmKF76.jpg

kuuxH6T.jpg

Meanwhile Captain Fernsby had just landed and was headed to the rendezvous camp with Leftenant Miller, Leftenant Williams and Sergeant Davies. As he entered the camp he was greeted by three men none of which he had met before.

WExIylF.jpg

"Greetings Captain Fernsby, my name is Captain Abbot, this is Mr. Bardsley representative of the ETTC and this is Leftenant Downer of the Royal Engineers. Apologies for the quick introductions but if you will please follow me, we have much to discuss before our departure in the morning."

J0fCoNr.jpg

The first build is my poor attempt at mimicking Ayrlego's building style in Port Woodhouse, it will be licensed as a small educational using my free license. Any criticism is welcome as I would really like to improve my building style. The second build is the interior of the building as I found the first build a little bit lacking, its nothing really special but it was kind of fun to attempt the inside of a building for a change. The third build is to continue Captain Fernsby's story, it's completely unrelated to the Office of the Royal Corps of Engineers but I didn't think it warranted it's own topic and I don't want to fill it out as it's own freebuild as it seems a bit cheap seen as though I didn't put as much effort into it as I would have liked due to time restraints. 

Anyway sorry for my poor photography, I need a new camera its just whenever I go to buy a new one I come home with a bunch of new lego but no new camera.

-Thanks

Firstly, I wouldn't say it was a poor attempt to mimic Port Woodhouse's style - I'd say it fits right in perfectly! The colour palette is spot on - the dark red fireplace is a nice addition - I've been thinking about sneaking some dark red into the brick work - now I might need to try it! The building itself is nice and simple, with some great nods to some of the other Port Woodhouse builds - eg the protruding door and window frames.

The engineers are fantastic. I really like the use of the bobby's helmet - now I need to obtain some of those new dark blue Union torsos so I can include them in future builds! The rocket stand and explosion are also really well done.

The beach scene is also quite good. You've captured the rough sand well and I like the tents. Also I have been thinking of using top hats for my marines for a while now - but I only have two and I wasn't sure how they'd work - now I know! :pir-laugh:

What can I say, I really like these builds!

As for improving - I can make some suggestions based on the style I have been building in, but as I said I like it very much the way it is now.

Firstly, maybe make the building one or two bricks higher? It looks a tiny bit short, although I think it might just be the crenulations - so maybe keep the roof the same height but build up the crenulations by one bricks height?

Base: I've been playing around with slightly irregular shaped bases as I have always been impressed by them. Rather than a rectangle like you have now, use some wing or rounded plates around the outside to make an irregular shape and then maybe also build up a plate level or two to give it some depth (as you have done for the last build). I would then start adding further plates (in Port Woodhouse usually 1x1 or 1x2 dark tan, olive green and 1x1 round dark bley) and tiles (usually 1x1 and 2x2 round light bley) and vegetation. I've been showing off my olive vegetation, but green works well too - like you've shown here.

Walls: What I have been trying to do with the highlights in the walls is make them not all uniform size and shape. So for example, for a dark tan section I'd base around 1x2 masonry brick, but with 1x1 and 1x2 dark tan plates around it to create a random shaped patch of colour.

That's about it really - like I said before, great job!

I absolutely love the whole concept of the first build, with the testing of the rocket and the sounding of the idea to place it on ships. I sort of want to build a rocket vessel now! :D

I'll agree with Ayrlego, both in that you have done well in following the established style of Port Woodhouse, and in that the house seems a bit short. It's rather nicely textured and you have really captured the dramatic, dynamic moment of firing the rocket. And I really like the simple ramp. Only comment would be to perhaps add some sort of smoke at the bottom of the exhaust trail.

The little inertior is nice too, although those artillery men seem to work under rather cramped conditions! ;)

And for the next time, you are more than welcome to post a build like the third one in its own thread. It is an important part of your story, and I quite like the build. You've got some interesting and well designed troops, innovative tents, and a reasonable landscape. I shall be looking forward to seeing to where Captain Fernsby will depart! ;)

21 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Firstly, I wouldn't say it was a poor attempt to mimic Port Woodhouse's style - I'd say it fits right in perfectly! The colour palette is spot on - the dark red fireplace is a nice addition - I've been thinking about sneaking some dark red into the brick work - now I might need to try it! The building itself is nice and simple, with some great nods to some of the other Port Woodhouse builds - eg the protruding door and window frames.

The engineers are fantastic. I really like the use of the bobby's helmet - now I need to obtain some of those new dark blue Union torsos so I can include them in future builds! The rocket stand and explosion are also really well done.

The beach scene is also quite good. You've captured the rough sand well and I like the tents. Also I have been thinking of using top hats for my marines for a while now - but I only have two and I wasn't sure how they'd work - now I know! :pir-laugh:

What can I say, I really like these builds!

As for improving - I can make some suggestions based on the style I have been building in, but as I said I like it very much the way it is now.

Firstly, maybe make the building one or two bricks higher? It looks a tiny bit short, although I think it might just be the crenulations - so maybe keep the roof the same height but build up the crenulations by one bricks height?

Base: I've been playing around with slightly irregular shaped bases as I have always been impressed by them. Rather than a rectangle like you have now, use some wing or rounded plates around the outside to make an irregular shape and then maybe also build up a plate level or two to give it some depth (as you have done for the last build). I would then start adding further plates (in Port Woodhouse usually 1x1 or 1x2 dark tan, olive green and 1x1 round dark bley) and tiles (usually 1x1 and 2x2 round light bley) and vegetation. I've been showing off my olive vegetation, but green works well too - like you've shown here.

Walls: What I have been trying to do with the highlights in the walls is make them not all uniform size and shape. So for example, for a dark tan section I'd base around 1x2 masonry brick, but with 1x1 and 1x2 dark tan plates around it to create a random shaped patch of colour.

That's about it really - like I said before, great job!

Thanks Ayrlego for the detailed response, the height and detailing of the building were actually the two main things I wasn't happy with, I unfortunately don't have any dark tan masonry bricks that aren't already being used in sets and I also don't own any 1x2 or 1x1 medium dark flesh plates. As for the base I hadnt really paid much attention to it until after I had taken the photos, now that I see what you've pointed out I will do my best to incorporate those techniques in my next builds.

The marines were meant to look like the real life British marines however I'm not sure I like them, maybe they just need epaulettes and I'm glad you like the engineers.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Bregir said:

I absolutely love the whole concept of the first build, with the testing of the rocket and the sounding of the idea to place it on ships. I sort of want to build a rocket vessel now! :D

I'll agree with Ayrlego, both in that you have done well in following the established style of Port Woodhouse, and in that the house seems a bit short. It's rather nicely textured and you have really captured the dramatic, dynamic moment of firing the rocket. And I really like the simple ramp. Only comment would be to perhaps add some sort of smoke at the bottom of the exhaust trail.

The little inertior is nice too, although those artillery men seem to work under rather cramped conditions! ;)

And for the next time, you are more than welcome to post a build like the third one in its own thread. It is an important part of your story, and I quite like the build. You've got some interesting and well designed troops, innovative tents, and a reasonable landscape. I shall be looking forward to seeing to where Captain Fernsby will depart! ;)

Thanks Bregir, I too would like to build a rocket vessel, unfortunately I don't really know how to build a ship perhaps I should learn. I never really thought about smoke until you mentioned it and I really like the idea, I wouldn't really know how to create Lego smoke though, perhaps several dark bluish grey and light grey 1x1 round studs positioned at the bottom of the rockets stream? I'll figure it out by the next I use it. 

The artillery men do indeed work under cramped conditions however until they prove their worth that's where they will stay ;)

As for the third build... well I was quite conflicted, it is an important part of the story but it's only real purpose was to test out some techniques I was thing of (the tents and the different levels of plates). Maybe next time I will give a build of this size its own topic but rest assured the story will be much longer.

-Thanks

A nice MOC series and a nice accompanying story. I'll echo Ayrlego's opinions and I would also like to add that when you build a tan baseplate, it would be better if the buildings (tents in your case) were of a different color like white for example or dark tan (assuming you have the bricks ofc). Other than that, I like your angles that you took the photos, the rocket effect and the shape of the nearby building and finally the brickbuilt tent design (although I woulf prefer them in another color choice as I wrote above). All in all, keep up the great work!!!

Oh, I also like the rocket crew minifigs and the use of top hats for those corrish bodyguards. Especially the latter is something I've been thinking of using it in a future naval MOC of mine :wink:

Those tents are pretty impressive and I am going to use them for inspiration in the future. I won't rehash any recommendations for improvement but will complement you on matching the classic lego look in your building. I am intrigued and expectant of the builds showing your expedition as it promises to be a fun concept. 

Nice little barrack! The idea of bringing the rocket in the game is excellent and the minifigs are well positionned as well.