Raskolnikov

ISD Aggressor (Star Destroyer MOC w interior and instructions)

I tried attaching the balljoints first, and just kept increasing pressure until it finally snapped in.  I didn't think it would hold but it did :)

Finally ready to start building!  :classic:

aggressor-parts1.jpg_thumb.jpg aggressor-parts2.jpg_thumb.jpg aggressor-parts3.jpg_thumb.jpg aggressor-parts4.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by Therion
fixed links

The markings on the bottom the "new" chimera look awesome! I'm probably not going to end up trying to put them in the bottom right now and stick with a more classic looking chimera straight out of Heir of the Empire. I might play around in LDD and see how I would go about making the markings, either in a darker color or just by raising it one plates worth. Might be interesting to do that. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kadeus said:

The markings on the bottom the "new" chimera look awesome! I'm probably not going to end up trying to put them in the bottom right now and stick with a more classic looking chimera straight out of Heir of the Empire. I might play around in LDD and see how I would go about making the markings, either in a darker color or just by raising it one plates worth. Might be interesting to do that. Thanks!

A darker color? Based on the pic, wouldn't white be more accurate?

Depends what I want to do or how intense I want it to look. For the most part I think I'll get it built first and then decide if I want to make it white or dark or nothing. Who knows at this points. Also, just for the sake of it, I officially have 27% of the pieces now... long way to go lol

Rasko!! You were right, attaching in the bottom panels is far more complicated than taking them off. I've been trying to put on these panels for an hour now and it doesn't seem to work because the pins slightly don't line up with the connection holes on the panel. It's also fairly difficult to see the connection hole so its difficult to push the pins in. Any tips for attaching the bottom panel? (I've already checked out the video, but it doesn't seem to help. Thanks in advance!

Hrm, @Sky8880 I'd recommend watching the video once more, just in case. In addition, an unsuccessful attempt to attach a panel likely will result in some bending or loosening of parts, so flatten out the panel and tighten everything up before attempting again. Also be sure to position the pins like in the video and avoid overhanging pins. The pins and connections should line up exactly, but it may not seem that way initially because it usually takes some wiggling to fit the panel into position. That's just a result of it being a bendy, nearly-meter-long collection of plates. I haven't had any issues with visibility of the pins, so you may want to get some better lighting in your room, too.

I suppose it's possible that some of the 2x2 modified plates (i.e., the pin receptacles) on the panel are out of position, as well, so double check to make sure the panels were built correctly. If you post a pic of the panels, I can try to check on that for you.

Finally, I think this is something that improves with practice. My hope is that owners of the Aggressor become familiar with adding and removing all the modules, including the bottom panels, so they can repair and transport the ship easily. It's pretty much inevitable that a 27-lb Lego ship is going to need repairs at some point.

Edited by Raskolnikov

To you that have the all of the pieces for the build, where are you getting the stickers for the interior?  I'm thinking about not doing the finished interior because I don't think it will ever be displayed.

Okay thanks! I'll double check again and try it again when I have time. So far 20+ hours into the build and i've only completed Book 1, Book 3, Book7, and Book 8. Book 1 was a pain to build with all those technic parts. Should be able to finish the ship within 20 hours. I'll get some pictures posted once i'm done! 

9 hours ago, sandtrooper said:

To you that have the all of the pieces for the build, where are you getting the stickers for the interior?  I'm thinking about not doing the finished interior because I don't think it will ever be displayed.

Yep! I just received all the pieces two days ago!! I didn't buy the stickers because they were expensive (especially the one from the death star) and just an extra cost since i'm on a budget. You can just order them from bricklink or ebay I believe. I'll be getting the stickers sometime in the future when my wallet recovers lol. Interior is one of the best parts about this model!! Also the ship is way way larger than it seems in the pictures. Definitely surprised me!

I'm nearly finished; just working on finish the bridge section.  This model is far more impressive in real life than in pictures; they don't come close to doing it justice.  From a few feet away you can't even tell it's Lego. 

It's by no means an easy build, and you definitely have to do some problem solving at one point or another, but it is so worth it.

5 hours ago, Schneeds said:

I'm nearly finished; just working on finish the bridge section.  This model is far more impressive in real life than in pictures; they don't come close to doing it justice.  From a few feet away you can't even tell it's Lego. 

It's by no means an easy build, and you definitely have to do some problem solving at one point or another, but it is so worth it.

Definitely right about the model being far more impressive in real life than in pictures. The details from what I have built are so incredible. This and the plus size AT-AT are easily two of my favourite LEGO builds. Easily one of the more challenging builds that I have done. 

This is a long term project for me, so getting the parts for one book at a time with some overlap.  Almost have all the pieces for book 1 and have started on 2.  I can't imagine having all the pieces at one time laid out.

@Raskolnikov So I finally had time yesterday to try out what you had suggested, I straightened out the panels and re-watched the video. When I tried to put on the panels at first it didn't work until I noticed I had a piece on the panel in the wrong position. Turns out that piece was blocking the panel from fitting in. I've fixed it now and it fits so much easier. Thanks! I'm almost finished with the build just got the top panel and the superstructure left. Can't wait to finish! I'll post pics when i'm done.

Update! I have completed the model!!! Took me about 50+ hours to complete in total, which is way longer than I had expected. Guess the build was much more compact than expected. It was one long build, but enjoyable build. I'll share pictures if you guys would like me to post some. Definitely now a favourite of my LEGO Star Wars collection. I also have the plus size AT-AT, just compared it to the Star Destroyer and it's tiny in comparison! Thanks @Raskolnikov for the experience I might buy the parts to build a second in the future because the details are so beautiful. If you decide to make instructions for that interdictor one day I would like to built it!!  

@Sky8880 Glad you enjoyed it! Yeah, I always enjoy seeing pictures of the completed builds for some reason, so feel free to post some pics. There's also a tab on the rebrickable page for people to post pics, if you want.

And yep, I think instructions for the interdictor are probably going to be coming in the future. I'm nearly done redesigning it to be a more suitable-for-instructions model and have increased interior space. So uh, "Constrictor II" coming soon, I guess.

Hi everyone,

I've been doing this MOC for the past month and a half during my week ends.

I have no issues attaching the bottom panels but when I try to attach the rear panels, the wedge plates resting on the stand keeps popping up.

As a result, the dark gray wedge plate underneath then pops out and I cannot manage to reattach it without everything breaking appart forcing me to take out the bottom panels and reattaching them before attempting the rear ones.

Did any of you add any plates to reinforce this part or I am the only one having difficulties with this?

Thanks for the help, I have redone this 4 times already tonight.

Edited by humbertj
grammar

@humbertj Hrm, if you scroll up (edit: check page 12 of the thread), Schneeds worked through a similar issue.

My recommendation is basically just to be very careful with the bottom panels--maybe hold them to try to avoid much movement or flexing--while gently pushing the rear panels into place. The rear panels will appear not to fit...keep pushing until they snap into place. It is OK to damage the rear panels during this process (i.e., lbg 2x3 wedge plates popping off), since they are relatively easy to repair once in position.

The relative weakness of the section of the bottom panel that rests of above the stand also is something that I was thinking about re-designing at some point. I believe it works as-is, but you are not the only person to ask whether it would be better if it were reinforced.

Please let us know how it works out. Should be mostly smooth sailing once you get past this point. And hopefully you've become a pro at the bottom panel removal/replacement process now--might help you out later on if you ever want to move the ship in the car or need to repair any serious damage.

Edited by Raskolnikov

I did some reinforcement as I recall.  I pulled the two of the black tube pieces off the handles that release the tail to give more space, and stuck some plates in there to brace it up. I think I also pulled some pieces off the rear panels to make it easier to snap in, and then reattaching after it was locked in place. 

Edited by Schneeds