Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

1 hour ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Personally I’d like to see an update to the frog and bat as well.

I agree. Wha about a snake?

On 1/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

I have been wondering what kind of wildlife it would be for this year since the day we found out. 

If it’s African savannah, I would hope to see male lion, elephant, crocodile, zebra, giraffe, gorilla.

If it’s Amazon rainforest, I would hope to see alligator, monkey.

If it’s Indian jungle, I would hope to see python (re-use Naigii mold), tiger (ne head), Indian elephant.

Ooo, I like your speculation on panda! I agree with you, lego is interested in Chinese market for a few years since Chinese New Year sets were released at first. So - I think panda would be an iconic animal for China for many years. I would expect TLG making a panda figure in a near future, maybe for Chinese New Year sets?

We already have a alligator in two colors.  

1 hour ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

They have a cobra mold from cmf and nagini from Harry Potter which is like a python

2 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

Personally I’d like to see an update to the frog and bat as well.

Yes a new bat mold please.  

Personally I would love a wild boar mold, male lion, more molds like a moose, gazelle, or antelope.  I would like to see more varied bird molds like a vulture, blue jay, geese, ducks, hawks, turkey, or pelicans.  

On 1/24/2021 at 10:09 PM, zoth33 said:

We already have a alligator in two colors.  

They have a cobra mold from cmf and nagini from Harry Potter which is like a pythonBu

Oh okay, somehow I missed alligators in new colors in the first place. But i would love to see “new” mold for alligator/crocodile. 

Yes I know there are cobra and Nagini from CMF but i was talking about a standard snake mold like Egyptian Queen from CMF has. 

I would rather see new animals that don't exist at all (such as a giraffe or a hippo or a male lion or a gorilla or a zebra) than new versions of animals we already have like the frog or snake or bat.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:38 AM, DBlegonerd7 said:

In 2015 I was so excited about the new cobra mould, I thought I would see it reuse in some themes, like Ninjago or City, but since 6 years, it was only in BAM tower.

I recently played to LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2, in the medieval part of the city, there is a great sheep (after shearing) (see video on Youtube : Animal Lover Challenge All Animal Locations) and I still want the badger from LEGO Worlds.

We had a good new version of the spider, as you all say, the bat and the frog need it too. About animals never seen, I'd like to see a wolf, a peacock, a duck or a rooster.

Edited by notpennysboat

43 minutes ago, notpennysboat said:

In 2015 I was so excited about the new cobra mould, I thought I would see it reuse in some themes, like Ninjago or City, but since 6 years, it was only in BAM tower.

I recently played to LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2, in the medieval part of the city, there is a great sheep (after shearing) (see video on Youtube : Animal Lover Challenge All Animal Locations) and I still want the badger from LEGO Worlds.

We had a good new version of the spider, as you all say, the bat and the frog need it too. About animals never seen, I'd like to see a wolf, a peacock, a duck or a rooster.

You are right about cobra not showing in any City or Ninjago sets. What a shame.

I don’t know there is a new version of spider? Which is it in? 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

4 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Oh okay, somehow I missed alligators in new colors in the first place. But i would love to see “new” mold for alligator/crocodile. 

Yes I know there are cobra and Nagini from CMF but i was talking about a standard snake mold like Egyptian Queen from CMF has. 

Yeah they will probably keep that mold for general snakes and make molds as needed for snakes that need different shapes.  The tan alligator is really nice by the way.  

Edited by zoth33

6 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I don’t know there is a new version of spider? Which is it in? 

In a lot of sets:
75950-1.jpg?201806220833

It's quite likely that they'll be using the new moulds used in the Harry Potter set, the hare and the otter. Otters being an endangered species, it would make sense in my opinion.

The most iconic animal from Africa is the elephant and I wouldn't be surprised they used the quite recent mammoth mould and modify it and make an African elephant. Savannah makes sense cause they can easily include a lion using the big cat mould. I'm guessing the big set will be African Savannah. 

18 hours ago, CedBricks said:

It's quite likely that they'll be using the new moulds used in the Harry Potter set, the hare and the otter. Otters being an endangered species, it would make sense in my opinion.

Hmm, while I definitely want those animals, and you’re right it would make sense to reuse - I just don’t think it’s likely that they go with this type of wildlife.

Of course, they could have various themes or settings, but I still think that it’s more likely that they have them all within the same ‘world’ and stick to just one. So my money is still on African wildlife.

That said, this ‘theme’ could quite easily have follow up sets with different settings or countries. In the same way there was one safari truck and lioness set, you could have, say, one ‘bush pilot’ type set with Australian animals. Or one marine rescue with an orca ;) 

Edited by williejm
Typo

I think I read somewhere that the wildlife sets was suppose to come out last year. The wave is missing the 20$ set spot, so would make sense that the lioness set was part of that wave, maybe that is why it is only sold directly by Lego to wait for the rest of the wave. Even if that is the case it do not necessarily mean the rest of the sets are from Africa, but the chance increases :shrug_oh_well:

19 hours ago, CedBricks said:

I wouldn't be surprised they used the quite recent mammoth mould and modify it and make an African elephant.

Maybe they can use a part from the trunk, but would not work with the bigger parts I think :sceptic:

If some of you have not voted in the "Ideas 90 years poll" yet, it is a good place to comment that you want animals like goats in the set :wink:

1 hour ago, Roebuck said:

Maybe they can use a part from the trunk, but would not work with the bigger parts I think :sceptic:

If some of you have not voted in the "Ideas 90 years poll" yet, it is a good place to comment that you want animals like goats in the set :wink:

I think you are right about bigger parts may not work right. Mammoth’s body doesn’t look more movable much to me. It would be nice to see new pieces for African elepahnt.

Goats, please!:head_back:

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I think you are right about bigger parts may not work right. Mammoth’s body doesn’t look more movable much to me. It would be nice to see new pieces for African elepahnt.

Goats, please!:head_back:

I'm thinking for an elephant, they do it in the same style as the mammoth, but maybe with articulated legs. The mammoth body just doesn't work (it's hairy!).

I want a goat to feed to my carnivorous dinosaurs, but the cheapest I can find just one online is $45.00!!! I mean, I know they're discontinued, but it would be so nice to see another one in a more recent set so they are more accesible. That new Ideas set (pretty sweet!) kinda missed their opportunity to implement one there, because it is supposed to be medieval-y, right? GOATS ARE MEDIEVAL!!!

Edited by pancakecrocodile

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

True that, it would require a few adjustments ;-)

Another animal that I would love to see even tough it already exist, is the sea turtle. It is an endangered species, I mean most of sea turtles are, so educational for children, easy for Lego because the mould exists already, and easy to add a few more animals to the set, a dolphin, a shark or, why not, an orca ;-)

They have said in the past that the mold for the old goat is no longer usable. So basically to have a goat in a set (either the old design or something new) requires a new mold and that means there would need to be a set where they can justify the high price of a mew mold for a goat. (even if they decided to do a farm line for City again they probably wouldn't do a goat in it since goats aren't as popular with kids as pigs or cows or whatever)

8 minutes ago, jonwil said:

So basically to have a goat in a set (either the old design or something new) requires a new mold and that means there would need to be a set where they can justify the high price of a mew mold for a goat.

LEGO does one off moulds all the time, even animals, and even complex ones. They didn't "need" to do a mammoth for one set to sell that set. Nor a sabertooth tiger. Nor that goofy bulldog they did for city last year (used in two sets, sure, but still). The list goes one.

If they want to do a host, they can absolutely do a goat. We've seen how much they do hear the AFOL discourse recently, so I'm sure it's on some designers' radar and will happen eventually.

LEGO clearly had market research showing that sets featuring things like mammoths and saber-tooth tigers would sell well to kids (the core target audience for LEGO City). Things like the Ice Age movies probably helped with the popularity of these I bet.

Plus it was hard to do a theme based around discovering prehistoric ice-age animals without creating some ice-age animals (since they didn't really have any at the time)

Sure they COULD do a goat for a City Farm theme (or a new Castle theme or something else) but unless they get market research to justify the expense instead of using existing animals they already have, its not going to happen.

11 hours ago, CedBricks said:

True that, it would require a few adjustments ;-)

Another animal that I would love to see even tough it already exist, is the sea turtle. It is an endangered species, I mean most of sea turtles are, so educational for children, easy for Lego because the mould exists already, and easy to add a few more animals to the set, a dolphin, a shark or, why not, an orca ;-)

I feel like the turtle will return either in sets or BAM in a different colour variant. 

Just now, williejm said:

I feel like the turtle will return either in sets or BAM in a different colour variant. 

In fact - I’m pretty sure that *all* ‘new’ animals in CMFs have shown up either in sets (skunk, large snake, chihuahua, cat) or in BAM (gull, terrier, penguin, cobra, french bulldog) eventually. 

5 hours ago, jonwil said:

LEGO clearly had market research showing that sets featuring things like mammoths and saber-tooth tigers would sell well to kids (the core target audience for LEGO City). Things like the Ice Age movies probably helped with the popularity of these I bet.

Plus it was hard to do a theme based around discovering prehistoric ice-age animals without creating some ice-age animals (since they didn't really have any at the time)

Sure they COULD do a goat for a City Farm theme (or a new Castle theme or something else) but unless they get market research to justify the expense instead of using existing animals they already have, its not going to happen.

AFOLs are 20% of the buyers now and a lot of us wants goats and other animals :tongue: In addition they have already made the goat so should not be as expensive as making a brand new one. I am sure moulds that are broken or worn out needs replacing from time to time say a 2x4 brick how many times have that needed a new mould over the years? In those cases I am sure they do not start from scratch, but simply makes the new mould from blueprints etc..
I agree with @Clone OPatra that it will happen eventually :wink:

May I post a pure speculation here?

I vaguely remember that orca was supposed to be included in City’s Artiic subtheme but designers threw woolly mammoth in instead, right? I LOVE prehistoric creatures but i would love to see an orca. I do not understand why they didn’t include orca few years ago. Sadly, no orca or whale in Ocean Exploration subtheme last year. it it because orca’s body too big to make? Even tho mammoth and dinosaurs are fairly big to produce. 

Would it be to see orca’s appearance in future?