Roebuck

Latest news about Lego animal moulds

Is it just me, or is anyone else eagerly awaiting summer city set name rumors for 2024, so we can start speculating on what the next animal-related subtheme might be? :grin:

5 hours ago, SketchBrick said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else eagerly awaiting summer city set name rumors for 2024, so we can start speculating on what the next animal-related subtheme might be? :grin:

I use all my hype for the MTS :wub_drool: However I guess we should see winter wave pictures before we get summer set names right? Could be some animals in City there also even if the sets names are not so promising. HP is very promising, but have disappointed before when it comes to animals so we will see:wink:

12 hours ago, SketchBrick said:

You are not alone! I am waiting for set names then I will jump into speculations right awa!

I am hoping summer subtheme would be focused on North American setting since we haven’t gotten bison, moose, fox, raccoon, goose, fawn.

On 10/30/2023 at 4:37 PM, Accio Lego said:

No, it’s the preexisting French Bulldog, they just animated it with a bone stuck next to its mouth for the promo video 

Ah, thanks.

Given how well known some of these Australian animals (Kangaroo, Koala, Emu, Platypus etc) are  (including in media of various sorts), I could absolutely see an Outback Explorers theme being quite popular. And animals that get made and used once and never again aren't unheard of (the Mammoth was a one-and-done animal for example)

Now i wonder if we will see a koala mold again. I mean we haven’t seen flamingo and mouse molds from old CMF seires for years and the former finally pops into Animal Crossing sets. 

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Would be a excellent CMF animal, they are very cute :sweet:

Agreed. 

1 minute ago, Lion King said:

I mean we haven’t seen flamingo and mouse molds from old CMF seires for years and the former finally pops into Animal Crossing sets.

What set? Leaked a new one now?

6 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

What set? Leaked a new one now?

Sorry I think I misremember. I remembe seeing a flamingo showing up in Animal Crossing teaser. 

While we wait for news about the January sets:

The horse and carriage GWP is live tomorrow with a 150$ limit 

It’s that time of year again - where I tease @Roebuck with the advent calendar he never gets  https://www.instagram.com/p/C0Nf0I9iSfX/?igshid=MzY1NDJmNzMyNQ==

On 11/24/2023 at 2:01 PM, Lion King said:

Sorry I think I misremember. I remembe seeing a flamingo showing up in Animal Crossing teaser. 

I think there was speculation if the flamingo might appear in those sets. It’s the hermit crab that made a surprise return though 

Hagrid’s hut has new mastiff and dragon moulds (the dragon looks like a baby raptor with Riyu’s wings), and the Owlery has five owls (2x spread wings (white, dark red), 2x normal (dark tan, dark brown), and 1x Smowl (dark grey)). 

Six owls; there is also an unprinted tan one with spread wings. 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

28 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Hagrid’s hut has new mastiff and dragon moulds (the dragon looks like a baby raptor with Riyu’s wings), and the Owlery has five owls (2x spread wings (white, dark red), 2x normal (dark tan, dark brown), and 1x Smowl (dark grey)). 

Thanks for the info! 

I’m excited about that new dog and dragon molds!

2 hours ago, williejm said:

It’s that time of year again - where I tease @Roebuck with the advent calendar he never gets  https://www.instagram.com/p/C0Nf0I9iSfX/?igshid=MzY1NDJmNzMyNQ==

I think there was speculation if the flamingo might appear in those sets. It’s the hermit crab that made a surprise return though 

Yeah, i thought it was a flamingo in those animal crossing sets but it was actually hermit crab .

Maybe flamingo could show up one day then. 

53 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

1x Smowl (dark grey)

The Smowl returns!!! I'm having a hard time with the renders though, it looks closer to light grey to me?

Harry Potter really is the theme for animal lovers in early 2024!

The new mastiff and dragon hatchling molds are just as adorable as promised. 

The Owlery is very nicely populated. In addition to the smowl obviously being a new color, the flying owl is also here in dark red for the first time and looks quite handsome. I’m pretty sure the unprinted flying owl is also a new color even if it isn’t as useful. The other three owls are all repeats but still appreciated. There’s also a rat and black spider in this set. 

The Magical Creatures set features the promised grey hippogriff, a baby Thestral, a pixie (I believe with a brand new winking face), a black bat, and a glow in the dark spider. 

The Flying Ford Anglia has the expected resting Hedwig and rat. 

The Boathouse is really surprising – in addition to another resting Hedwig, it’s got a black spider, light blue fish, bright red crab, and an olive green frog to represent Trevor the toad!

2 hours ago, SketchBrick said:

The Smowl returns!!! I'm having a hard time with the renders though, it looks closer to light grey to me?

It could be; on the front of the box it looks dark grey, but on the back it looks light grey. 

9 minutes ago, Accio Lego said:

an olive green frog to represent Trevor the toad!

A new colour for the frog! 

5 hours ago, williejm said:

Delightfully cruel. :sweet:

I think I need to look at the Potter sets on a larger screen. Small pictures on my phone left me underwhelmed. Fang looks unprinted, but that can't be right. The forest really feels like it needs another creature (or two)? Maybe that's asking a lot at the price point?

15 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

Fang looks unprinted, but that can't be right.

As far as I can tell he has a printed black nose/mouth and beady printed eyes!

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I thought it might be new but I wasn’t sure :D hooray for Trevor 

8 hours ago, williejm said:

:wub_drool: That is for sure some lucky kids! Nice job as always :pir-triumph:

5 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

5+1 owl is not bad :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Accio Lego said:

Harry Potter really is the theme for animal lovers in early 2024!

The Magical Creatures set features the promised grey hippogriff, a baby Thestral, a pixie (I believe with a brand new winking face), a black bat, and a glow in the dark spider.

Could the hippogriff be white as the last one? Should have made one with a different color or included a unicorn instead:sceptic:

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

The forest really feels like it needs another creature (or two)? Maybe that's asking a lot at the price point?

To bad the set did not have anything new a wasted opportunity I would say:shrug_oh_well:

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

One of the more useful colors as well:thumbup:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

To bad the set did not have anything new a wasted opportunity I would say:shrug_oh_well:

No new animal colors but the feathers on Buckbeak’s face are distinctly different from both previous versions and the pixie is winking so we’ve at least got a couple new prints. 

And I double checked bricklink and the glow in the dark spider has apparently only appeared in 4 sets – all back in 2018, so it making a reappearance is definitely a good thing. 

The highlights are definitely the dark red owl, the smowl in light bluish gred, Norbert(a), and Fang :wub: Too bad the only new thing about the creatures in the Forbidden Forest set is just a few minor prints. How about a niffler family or something?! :tongue: 

On a larger screen you can see printing on Fang. Might be controversial, but I don't like it at all. The shape of the mould looks really basic and blocky in comparison with more modern animals. Part of that is likely the size, and trying to keep within a one stud width for the body, but it makes it look really basic in my eyes. And then the ears look like a teddy bear's and not at all floppy like they should be. Maybe the angle and lighting aren't showing it off very well. It's a shame, because it might be the best Hagrid's hut they've done!

39 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

On a larger screen you can see printing on Fang. Might be controversial, but I don't like it at all. The shape of the mould looks really basic and blocky in comparison with more modern animals. Part of that is likely the size, and trying to keep within a one stud width for the body, but it makes it look really basic in my eyes. And then the ears look like a teddy bear's and not at all floppy like they should be. Maybe the angle and lighting aren't showing it off very well. It's a shame, because it might be the best Hagrid's hut they've done!

With you on this. Fang leaves me cold from what I’ve seen so far. Happy to have another new owl & smowl though! 

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I don’t mind it at all.