legomilk

New castle sets in 2009

I can imagine a King's Court set with a king, queen, knight, jester, ghost and pleading peasants. Give it a secret treasure room and an armoury, and kids would love it (as would I and I'm an AFOL). *wub*

Agreed. I'm definately gonna preorder a zillion calendars this year.

KimT

I#m starting to worry there won't be enough to meet the demand of all of us. But that is clearly good for the chance of civilian impluse

Edited by Cardinal Brick

I#m starting to worry there won't be enough to meet the demand of all of us.

I cretainly hope not. I only really want one, but the fact is I want one.

And I too think that civilian Imupulse would e a fantastic idea, as long as they're intreesting enough so that they sell well. I mean, I'd probably buy them whatever, but if they sell well, we're more likely to get more.

Failing that, just stick some civilians in with some of the war-based sets. Like a jester in a csatle or a throne room, or some plebians peasants and some maidens in a barracks or something.

i think lego made the right decision at the right time. with so many children's fantasy books made into movies (the countless "chronicles" made into films) it does help with sales.

on that note, i wouldn't be surprised if the next evil faction happens to be giant spiders and various arachnoid thingys. :-P i'll tag this post in case my prediction came true. :-P

i hope they come up with taurens or other tan, dark tan, brown, larger MFs though. not quite the size of the giant trolls but larger than regular MFs. :-P and maybe more mounts. we have dragons and horses so far. let's see if we will have big dogs (aka wolves) and big cats (aka panthers). :-P maybe as a semi-joke, even a sea turtle? :-P

am i the only one who thinks there's a lack of carriage? there is but a single carriage for the evil skeleton. i like to see a revival of some of the excellent carriages from the past, like

6044-1.jpg

6042-1.jpg

4819-1.jpg

6022-1.jpg

6023-1.jpg

6055-1.jpg

6079-1.jpg

Coming from one just recently out of their dark ages, I really don't see the point to all the fantasy stuff right now. I mean, its cool to a point, but one of the things that I liked was the grounding in reality that the Castle series had for all those years.

I really don't think that a set with Elves would even be Castle, why not do a Fantasy sub line like Batman, something out othe scope but still compatible.

Bring back the human factions and really ratchet up the quality [Castle Corner anyone?"

I'm not sure I understand all this hate on castle fantasy.

I kind of like it myself, though not so much the skeletons... Its nice to see Lego take a new tack after 20+ years. Besides its what's popular now. And its not as if Lego is doing a crappy job at it.

I think Elves would be interesting, because it would give us a new style of Castle/Structure. I see two methods they could go with: (1) tree forts type things; or (2) really etherial castles. Personally, I'd like either one of these. As for the figures, I think they could make them kind of warcraft-night-elf-y. Maybe give them a blue tinted skin with ears painted on the heads (that way they could still wear helmets).

Steve

I kind of like it myself, though not so much the skeletons... Its nice to see Lego take a new tack after 20+ years. Besides its what's popular now. And its not as if Lego is doing a crappy job at it.

Oh I agree. And I'm not much of a fantasy fan.

But the way TLC's doing it is good. We're still getting plenty of humans, and nice 'real' buildings/weapons, as well as some fantasy stuff. They seem to have made the fantasy stuff real. It doesn't feel like fantasy, but rather as though the living dead, dwarves, mages and trolls could actually have existed.

Besides, it gives us more scope for MOCing. We don't now have to build Castle within strict, real parameters. We can build something 'weird' with trolls, dwarves, mages, the living dead, etc.

And seeing as how it's, like you say, it's what's popular. If that means sets get sold, I'm all for it. The more Castle sets are sold, the more Castle sets we get. And with the proposed 12 sets for next year, it obviously is selling.

At the end of the day I think the real test will be the advent calendar: if it sells well (which will big time IMO), we will see those kind of impulse sets ;-)

*yoda*

I still wonder about the advent calendar.... I may be wrong, but most MFs

included in these calendars beside the obligatory Santa Claus were always

offered in regular sets before its release, so maybe there

What would you think about a whole seperate new LOTR section, like the star wars section?

I would love it, but it wouldn

I#m starting to worry there won't be enough to meet the demand of all of us. But that is clearly good for the chance of civilian impluse

I only want one, so I'll have to get in quick. Either way its a success though, AFOLs will sell this thing out in two days.

I cretainly hope not. I only really want one, but the fact is I want one.

And I too think that civilian Imupulse would e a fantastic idea, as long as they're intreesting enough so that they sell well. I mean, I'd probably buy them whatever, but if they sell well, we're more likely to get more.

Failing that, just stick some civilians in with some of the war-based sets. Like a jester in a csatle or a throne room, or some plebians peasants and some maidens in a barracks or something.

I agree, and an impulse woul be a perfect seller anyway. AFOLs would buy them out no problem, and I'm sure kiddies would love them too, I certainly can tell that they don't want just battles.

I'm still hoping to get the advent calender though, please don't buy them all straight away Kimt!

Oh I agree. And I'm not much of a fantasy fan.

But the way TLC's doing it is good. We're still getting plenty of humans, and nice 'real' buildings/weapons, as well as some fantasy stuff. They seem to have made the fantasy stuff real. It doesn't feel like fantasy, but rather as though the living dead, dwarves, mages and trolls could actually have existed.

Besides, it gives us more scope for MOCing. We don't now have to build Castle within strict, real parameters. We can build something 'weird' with trolls, dwarves, mages, the living dead, etc.

And seeing as how it's, like you say, it's what's popular. If that means sets get sold, I'm all for it. The more Castle sets are sold, the more Castle sets we get. And with the proposed 12 sets for next year, it obviously is selling.

I'm quoting you twice, aren't i just scary? Its because I agree with you, again :-D

I'm not much of a fantasy fan, the LOTR movies were great but I can't really sit down and watch one for three hours straight. But the way TLC has done this line is so good, I just have to get them.

Plus, skellies and trolls are very useful for zombie and post-apoc mocs, or as mutants or what knows.

Another great thing is the amazing new designs, who's jaw didn't drop when they saw the Battlewheel?

That thing is totally unlike anything Lego has done before, so I look forward to new unique, fantasy designs.

Batbrick Something! *wacko*

What's all this talk of elves?

As much as some fans are all for an entirely fantasy-themed line, I'm not sure that it's a great idea. I can only speak for myself, but I suspect that there are others like me who would simply skip this line without major human presence (read Crown Knights, civilians, new soldiers, forestmen, etc.). In fact, other than the Advant calender and a few impulse sets (as well as a ton of armour from Helge on Bricklink), I have no intention of buying any of this year's castle sets. I have very little need of skeletons and orcs. Alot of castle fans are just that: fans of LEGO castle. Moving away from that foundation into pure fantasy simply doesn't provide me with anything useful as a castle builder.

Right now, if next year's line reduces the human presence even further in favour of something like Elves, Lizard Men or any other fictional race I'll pass on the line entirely. I know that I'm not alone on this. I would even suspect that there are alot of kids who like the knights, soldiers and other more conventional medieval fare. For me, next to no humans=no sale.

I totally agree with you, blueandwhite!

Wizzards, witches, ghosts and dragons which were included in the Castle theme in the 90th were OK. People in the Middle Ages believed in these creatures. But they didn't believe in undeads, elves, trolls etc. (The dwarfs are a special case becase there really were very little people who actually somtimes worked in the mines because they were so little.)

Consequently undeads, elves, tolls etc. don't belong to Castle because they aren't representative for this era. To include them into the Castle theme makes as much sense as to include Jabba and his Sail Barge into a Lego Town.

Apart from this aspect I really hate all this creatures like undeads, trolls etc. because they destroy all the other stuff which makes the Castle theme so lovely!

I hope that there will be a good vs. bad human faction soon - but please with nice looking bad knights!

2009 in the summer.

7 new big sets.

and 4 small sets

1 special set.

Thank you very much for that information, legomilk!

Here my comments:

The 7 new "big sets" surely will be - like some of you already mentioned - the "normal" sets.

The 4 "small sets" surely will be Impulse sets. I wouldn't be amazed about when TLG would release one Impulse set with a dwarf, one with a big troll, one with a new creature/knight which will be released in 2009 and one of course again with a king's soldier.

The "special set" either will be another Castle advent calendar in 2009 or - what even would be much better - a S@H Exclusive with Medieval minifigs, stuff and huts/houses.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I think Elves would be interesting, because it would give us a new style of Castle/Structure.

That is a really good point. I have previously been thinking soley of the figs and wacky storylines that could come out of an elf faction, but the architecture aspect could be really cool, just like the forestmen buildings were.

I totally agree with you, blueandwhite!

Wizzards, witches, ghosts and dragons which were included in the Castle theme in the 90th were OK. People in the Middle Ages believed in these creatures. But they didn't believe in undeads, elves, trolls etc. (The dwarfs are a special case becase there really were very little people who actually somtimes worked in the mines because they were so little.)

There are plenty of legends of Elves and trolls in the middle ages. Though I

The more I think about that and the more I think we need civilians in cool smaller sets !! That maoden and jester is a good sign of things to come I sure hope.

I mean factions fighting each others is pretty cool but will loose interest after a while so thats why I want a civilian incursion !! We could have a sweet impulse troubadour, some merchent rolling stables filled with fruits and meat, small houses and what have you !! Afterall, the crownies need to serve and protect :-D

*yoda*

I totally agree with you, xwingyoda!

A toubadour Impulse set would be great!

And what about a civilian Impulse set? I mean: That wouldn't be much work for TLG and everybody would like to see something like that:

Civilian Impulse Set

a pitchfork, a scythe, a back-basket and a barrel and/or abasket filled with vegetables

minifig: civilian with two different multifunctions:

-there is a bonnet (for female civilians) and a hood (for female and male civilians)

-the minifig's head has two faces (like the princess' head in the Skeletton Tower set) : The front shows a female face and the back a male face

That would give you the possibility to create male and female Medieval civilians with the same Impulse set! Of course this set might be because of these extras be a bit more expensice than the "normal" Impulse sets but I think it would be a very senible and nice thing.

What do you think?

am i the only one who thinks there's a lack of carriage? there is but a single carriage for the evil skeleton. i like to see a revival of some of the excellent carriages from the past, like

6044-1.jpg

6042-1.jpg

4819-1.jpg

6022-1.jpg

6023-1.jpg

6055-1.jpg

6079-1.jpg

I totally agree with you - there have to be more carriages!

I'd like very much to see a king's closed carriage similar to 6044-1.jpg

with two horses in front of it, with a full treasure box, with the princess, a coacher and two king's soldiers.

And since TLG always wants this (sometimes annoying) action aspect: Why not including some rock pice(s), some shrubs and some bad knights or bad civilians or burglars which attack this carriage?!

There are plenty of legends of Elves and trolls in the middle ages. Though I

Indeed ;-)

For figs with not really that much accessories we could get impulse sets + for other figs with a bit more building a 5

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I think you've said it best here Cardinal Brick, even if some don't like it, it still is rather necessary as fantasy is major thing for kids today and they want something new in a castle line.

And Klaus-Dieter, how does putting elves and fantasy into castle not make sense? Many tales and stories, famous ones, include fantasy creatures in a medieval world, I just don't understand how you could liken that to putting Jabba the Hutt in a lego town, that is totally different.

My thoughts exactly! Fantasy fiction is usually placed into a medieval like setting, so the crossover from pure Castle to Fantasy is easily made.

Also very well said Cardinal Brick, I couldn't agree more! *y*

I don't have anything against fantasy in the Castle theme - in contrast I think that this makes that theme more lovely and exciting!

The dwarfs are OK but I hate all the other new fantasy elements becuase they aren't lovely anymore! They are only violent and horrible. Are you really keen on them?! X-O

For me that's not the quality of toys I expect from Lego :-( - and I even don't think that Lego has to set on the same level with ugly computer games showing only bloody cruelness and horrible creatures! Lego is a high quality toy and doesn't need to concurate with other companies and branchs on this level! :-$

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I'm not sure I understand all this hate on castle fantasy.

It's not a question of hate. It's simply a difference in tastes. While I love some fantasy in fiction, as an AFOL my interests lay elsewhere. Just as many Johnny Thunder fans prefer Johnny over Indy, I prefer non fantasy castle themes over fantasy ones. A dedicated fantasy line means table scraps for those of us looking for villagers, outlaws and entertainers. I was able to partake in Castle year one because there was a decent balance of the fantastic with the conventional, however year two focuses predominantly on orcs, dwarves and trolls with a few humans thrown in for good measure. If the pendulum shifts further towards fantasy, is it not easy to understand why some fans might not like it?

This isn't directed against fantasy or fans thereof. Some of us would simply prefer villagers and the like in our castle line. You can say that fantasy fans have been waiting some 20 years for a line like this. Well some people have been waiting about as long for a decent lot of villagers. Just because some of us want a human based theme doesn't mean that we're focused solely on good vs. evil. For me, I would be more than content with sets that feature dwarves and other heroic folk defending a villager(s) from orcs and trolls. I want to be able to make a medieval village where none of my villagers are forced into jedi robes.

It all comes down to "different strokes for different folks".

I don't have anything against fantasy in the Castle theme - in contrast I think that this makes that theme more lovely and exciting!

The dwarfs are OK but I hate all the other new fantasy elements becuase they aren't lovely anymore! They are only violent and horrible. Are you really keen on them?! X-O

For me that's not the quality of toys I expect from Lego :-( - and I even don't think that Lego has to set on the same level with ugly computer games showing only bloody cruelness and horrible creatures! Lego is a high quality toy and doesn't need to concurate with other companies and branchs on this level! :-$

You've totally lost me, whats so "horrible" about these fantasy elements? I don't see any difference between this and any other fighting castle theme.

Another neat idea for a faction could be merfolk. It would make a good adversary for the Troll Attack Ship. We could have merfolk, rideable sea-horses and an undersea castle.

Steve

but steve, we have yet merfolks... ok only one merfolk but... :-P in harry potter 2007 line we have a female merfolk... do you remeber? :-P

nausicaakro

You've totally lost me, whats so "horrible" about these fantasy elements? I don't see any difference between this and any other fighting castle theme.

that's so true, lego always was all about imagination and i don't understand why everybody wants all things to be "as real as possible"