David Thomsen

Future LEGO Pirates Set Speculation

5 minutes ago, Rogue Redcoat said:

@Classic_Spaceman sounds perfect, and since I like the redcoats better than the bluecoats I agree even more :pir-triumph:

Thanks! I like both, BTW, but since we just got new Bluecoats in Eldorado Fortress (and they will presumably reappear in any Pirates sets within the next few years), I wanted to have Redcoats for Pirates' fifth incarnation. 
BTW, these Redcoats would be colour-swaps of the EF Bluecoats, as the originals were. 

4 hours ago, Black Falcon said:

Well it would be kinda Strange if they make a new Theme (Lego Moments) and put new Space Sets out which wouldn´t fit in there. So they for sure will be in one theme - but if it is not Space, and there is no other new theme they would need to go into Icons. I guess we will have to wait for some more informations for these sets.

Eh… I don’t think that’s grange if Lego Moments would be a subtheme under Icons, like Modular Buiuildings, Winter Village, Botncial Collection, etc. And Icons has Lion Knights’  Castle,  Galaxy Explorer, Eldorado sets. So Icons basically aims at the adult audience. Why they should make a new space theme while Freinds (?) and City’s space subthemes aim at younger audience? 

I think Icons or Lego. Moment or whatever it is could be a perfect spot for Caslte, Pirates Space, Adventurers, etc.

So yeah…we will have to wait and see…

Edited by Lion King

3 hours ago, Lion King said:

Eh… I don’t think that’s grange if Lego Moments would be a subtheme under Icons, like Modular Buiuildings, Winter Village, Botncial Collection, etc. And Icons has Lion Knights’  Castle,  Galaxy Explorer, Eldorado sets. So Icons basically aims at the adult audience. Why they should make a new space theme while Freinds (?) and City’s space subthemes aim at younger audience? 

I think Icons or Lego. Moment or whatever it is could be a perfect spot for Caslte, Pirates Space, Adventurers, etc.

So yeah…we will have to wait and see…

I didn´t mean that the Moments Theme would be strange. But that new Sets should come, that are also Space but don´t really fit in any other theme.

38 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

I didn´t mean that the Moments Theme would be strange. But that new Sets should come, that are also Space but don´t really fit in any other theme.

Ah ok

So Bluebrixx just announced their own minifigure and while personally i am a Lego purist (yet), i'd like to see some more competion on the market which can only be good for the customers. BB already mentioned they need to make some minifigures for their hugh Castle Blaustein and my guess is, they are also going to make some pirates and soldiers for the their Governor's Island et al. So hopefully there will be some battlepacks out there next year and sooner or later Lego will be forced to counter with their own pirates and soldiers battlepacks. Yeah, i know Lego will never do this and it's just wishfull thinking :pir-sceptic:

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Bluebrixx just announced their own minifigure

Bluebrixx seems to be becoming popular, as recently I have been hearing that name more often.

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Lego will be forced to counter with their own pirates and soldiers battlepacks.

That could happen, though it seems to me only as a gift with purchase. :pir-sceptic:

Just to add some of the backstory: There was a court rule in the city of Düsseldorf, Germany, last year. Lego was suing a Businessman, who runs a toy shop, imports various brands from China, and is also a youtuber over minifigures from other companies that look to similar to Lego's own minifigures. While Lego won the case, it should now be pretty clear what to avoid when producing a minifigure. So other companies now have kind of a guide with this court rule on how to produce minifigures for the markets of Europe and beyond. But we'll see how the story continues :pir_laugh2:

3 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

So Bluebrixx just announced their own minifigure

Source of information?

3 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Source of information?

Their youtube channel where their boss is showing some prototypes and talks the topic.

1 minute ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Their youtube channel where their boss is showing some prototypes and talks the topic.

Could you please provide a link to the YouTube video?

1 minute ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Here you go:

Thank you. It's not for me.  It's so everyone else knows what you're referring to.

So there are some differences between the BlueBrixx and LEGO minifigures.

image.png

Ooh, interesting design. I figure that SHOULD be different enough from both the classic minifigure and the mini-doll to survive any legal challenge, especially considering the distinct shape of the legs, arms, and hands.

36 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Ooh, interesting design. I figure that SHOULD be different enough from both the classic minifigure and the mini-doll to survive any legal challenge, especially considering the distinct shape of the legs, arms, and hands.

I think the problem was not, that they looked to similar (well some did, but others looked quite different) but that they were technically the same with the way they were build. Hence the new design for the legs. The upper Body on the other hand is technically still the same it seems. 

The upper body can rotate though. And it looks like 360° rotation. And it is interesting to see how they have designed the face of that Stargate actresses minifigure design.

Anyway, as i wrote, i hope they bring battlepacks and that forces Lego to bring battlepacks. So from bluecoat soldier marked as IP to a full battlepack in few months :pir_laugh2: One can dream, no?! :head_back:

The connection between upper body and lower body is different yes. But Arms and Head seem to be same. No idea why they didn´t change that aswell. 

All the articulation takes away the charm of the classic and iconic minifigure design, it's not their fault of course as they can't simple steal Lego's design but I haven't really seen any alternative minifigure design that can compete with TLG.

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Chinese manufacturers are getting in on the act with their own minifigures

They look like AI generated minifigures. :pir-grin:

On 8/22/2023 at 11:22 AM, Jack Sassy said:

They look like AI generated minifigures. :pir-grin:

Hehe yes, reminds me of those AI pirates by stable diffusion :pir_laugh2:

unbenannt59fb2.jpg

On 8/19/2023 at 7:06 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

So hopefully there will be some battlepacks out there next year and sooner or later Lego will be forced to counter with their own pirates and soldiers battlepacks. Yeah, i know Lego will never do this and it's just wishfull thinking :pir-sceptic:

Such battlepacks would be awesome and I'd likely buy several. I've many times wondered why they don't sell more battlepacks or just minifigures? I know that Lego can't sell Star Wars minifigures only due to some contract but what's stopping them with in house themes or other licensed themes? I recently ordered many Blacktron 1 minifigures (the reissue from the Blacktron Cruiser) from Lego Shop at Home but I had to order all the parts separately, the heads and legs came from Poland and the rest from Billund, Denmark. It would be great to be able to order only minifigures in whatever amount you want or would selling the new Imperial Soldiers separately take away sales from the new Eldorado Fortress? I have also wondered why they don't sell any minifigure they still can make the parts for, since both the new and old Imperial Soldiers and Guards all use the same parts. For example you could order 10x old Imperial Soldiers and 10x new Imperial Soldiers and they would print the torsos and parts for you and ship them. Or would it be too expensive to print so many different torso designs? Maybe they could have a minimum amount of figures you must order or something like that? What do you think?  

8 hours ago, SpacePolice89 said:

Such battlepacks would be awesome and I'd likely buy several. [...]

I never understood why there are no minifigure packs (battlepacks) for all themes on shelves. Why not have a 20€ set with 2 fire fighters, 2 police officers and a doctor and some useful parts for the city theme. Why not have a battlepack with several knights of different factions and their horses and accessories? Why no pirates and imperial battlepack? Space anyone? It should be a no brainer! People could populate their cities and mocs with these minifigures and would buy them in masses.

In my opinion this is because Lego do not want us to get minifigures that cheap. It's simple as that for me. Yes, you can buy some of the parts online and put them together but how many regular customers do this? If you want city minifgures the magazines are a good source but they are only available in Europe. And while i buy most, but not all, issues of the Star Wars magazine, the minifigure selection is pretty boring. So with the magazines it is possible to sell seperate minifigures, or sometimes a pack with two. And there is BAM in stores but for example when i was in a store i never saw a knight. I also never found the falconer from the CMF. Some people must hord them :pir_laugh2:

But why there are no minifigure packs on shelves? I don't get it. I really do not get it. I once read the argument that Lego does not want people to buy them and populate their sets from other companies that come without figures at all. Whatever the reason is, Lego does not want us to get minfigures this way.

38 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I never understood why there are no minifigure packs (battlepacks) for all themes on shelves. Why not have a 20€ set with 2 fire fighters, 2 police officers and a doctor and some useful parts for the city theme. Why not have a battlepack with several knights of different factions and their horses and accessories? Why no pirates and imperial battlepack? Space anyone? It should be a no brainer! People could populate their cities and mocs with these minifigures and would buy them in masses.

Well maybe Lego would still make Knight Battle Packs and such, if they would have the castle theme active. But as long as they are not giving us normal Sets again for those Themes, we won´t get battle packs either.

As for City, I don´t really see the need for that Kind of Battlepack really, There are so many City based Sets with fire fighter, and police around, that I don´t see the need for it (unlike with Castle where more Army is always needed ;). They made Police-MF-Accessory-Set in 2020 though I really prefer Sets like People Pack - Fun in the ParkPeople-Pack-Fun-at-the-Beach or People Pack - Outdoor Adventures. Anyways for me it isn´t unlikely we will see more sets like this in the city theme at least.

44 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Well maybe Lego would still make Knight Battle Packs and such, if they would have the castle theme active. But as long as they are not giving us normal Sets again for those Themes, we won´t get battle packs either.

As for City, I don´t really see the need for that Kind of Battlepack really, There are so many City based Sets with fire fighter, and police around, that I don´t see the need for it (unlike with Castle where more Army is always needed ;). They made Police-MF-Accessory-Set in 2020 though I really prefer Sets like People Pack - Fun in the ParkPeople-Pack-Fun-at-the-Beach or People Pack - Outdoor Adventures. Anyways for me it isn´t unlikely we will see more sets like this in the city theme at least.

City was just an example. I wish we would get minfigure packs for all themes! I even considered buying the People Pack - Fun Fair, when it was available, but at the end i don't need yellow minifigures :pir_laugh2:

As for the knights, with the medieval blacksmith, the creator castle, the big castle and the potential upcomming medieval village in mind, a knights battlepack would sell in masses. I am sure.

EDIT: Speaking about the Fun Fair People Pack... Imagine we would get a 40$ set with 14 pirate, imperial and civilian minifigures :wub:

Edited by Yperio_Bricks