Bonaparte

Performance Issues (occasional slow response when saving a post)

Since the big upgrade I noticed sometimes a long waiting time when saving a post. It happens only occasionally, but I had this problem already few times. Has anyone else experienced this?

We are investigating the exact root cause of this problem and about an hour ago our server expert Ace has done a number of optimizations.

We'll continue to monitor this issue and hope this will get fixed soon.

I had a message about db not available when opening a topic to read earlier today. Refreshed the browser and the topic loaded fine. 

I have had long save times occasionally.  It just hangs there. I clicked go back to topic listing link and it shows my post as the last post in that topic. It does save it.

I've had the same as Spock. I've also had occasions when I thought I'd made a post and then clicked to move on to another part of the site... only when i've visited the thread again and tried to make a comment my original message appears in the dialogue box. It seems that happens if it doesn't successfully upload or save the comment.

13 hours ago, Robianco said:

I've had the same as Spock. I've also had occasions when I thought I'd made a post and then clicked to move on to another part of the site... only when i've visited the thread again and tried to make a comment my original message appears in the dialogue box. It seems that happens if it doesn't successfully upload or save the comment.

I think that's a feature of new software.  If you typed in a comment and didn't post it.  Next time you try to comment to the same topic, it'll recall your unposted text. 

On 10/15/2016 at 7:45 PM, dr_spock said:

I think that's a feature of new software.  If you typed in a comment and didn't post it.  Next time you try to comment to the same topic, it'll recall your unposted text. 

I have had this also happen, except that rather than leaving the unposted text hanging, I deleted it before leaving the page. When I came back (the next day) I had to delete my already-deleted text before posting my new comment. It seems like a nice feature, I was just surprised since it was the first time I had encountered it.

I have also had slow save times, either from the initial posting or on subsequent edits, but each time it seems to have saved with no problem; it's like it just forgets to tell me.

Invision made a number of performance improvements and will provide a new software release later this week. So we'll start by giving this a try when it's released.

How is general site performance? Reason I'm asking is because of the Search Function. 30 seconds is a long time to wait between searches... I might not get the keywords right first time, or a search may not turn up any results and I would want to do a new search with better terms (simple common usage).

Just now, I saw there were about 100 active users on the forums. Is the system not really able to handle more frequent searches? I'd say 5 secs between searches would not be asking too much?

I do not search around here very often, but when I do, I use Google.

Hell, this sentence cries for a "The worlds most interesting man"-Meme :grin: I got pretty annoyed by the waiting time as well, that's why I switched to using Google.

A search takes up a lot of server resources (it's not a separate system that can handle an x number of searches, but affects general site performance). I have lowered the waiting time between searches somewhat. It goes from 45 seconds for new members (< 10 posts), via 20 seconds for Vassals, 15 seconds for Citizens and Knights, 10 seconds for Counts and Dukes to 5 seconds from Grand Dukes and Archdukes now.

I have a problem saving pictures into posts and new topics: I can get one picture to load, then the rest just hang once the upload button is pressed. It seems like I have to type a post then upload the pictures via editing the post after the I push the publish button.

Is that just me, because it's been going on since the upgrade...

This weekend (I hope to find the time tomorrow) we will install an update of our forum software which is expected to provide performance improvements when posting.

22 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

I have a problem saving pictures into posts and new topics: I can get one picture to load, then the rest just hang once the upload button is pressed. It seems like I have to type a post then upload the pictures via editing the post after the I push the publish button.

Is that just me, because it's been going on since the upgrade...

Are you trying to attach those image to a post? Or link to them?

13 minutes ago, Bonaparte said:

This weekend (I hope to find the time tomorrow) we will install an update of our forum software which is expected to provide performance improvements when posting.

Are you trying to attach those image to a post? Or link to them?

I was trying to attach an Flickr image url via the "insert other media" button. it works sometimes, but not most of the time. Does that help some?

Yesterday evening we have been doing a lot of performance improvements.

How are things now? I didn't encounter any more slowness when saving a post so far...

On 21-10-2016 at 7:22 PM, Murdoch17 said:

I was trying to attach an Flickr image url via the "insert other media" button. it works sometimes, but not most of the time. Does that help some?

Sorry, but I didn't yet try to do this. Maybe someone else has experience with this. If not then I'll try to test this out soon.

30264378626_9cc0dd3d29.jpg

I've inserted images from Flickr no problems but I don't do it via insert other media. I just paste the bbcode directly into the post. Although I can't see it while I'm writing the post, it will show up afterwards when the post is submitted.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/N7mRnu][img=https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8270/30264378626_9cc0dd3d29.jpg][/url]

I've just tried using via "insert other media" > "image url" and if you see the image above, then it works just fine

The simplest way to post an image on this software seems to be the 'share' link on Flickr. Just paste that into the message window and within seconds the image appears so you can type any other content around it or add more images. Definitely the simplest way I've seen so far of using Flickr with the site.

BBCode also works but the image doesn't appear until I submit the post which I then edit to remove the text that follows the image.

On 25.10.2016 at 10:15 PM, Bonaparte said:

Yesterday evening we have been doing a lot of performance improvements.

How are things now? I didn't encounter any more slowness when saving a post so far...

Looking good. No noticable sluggishness here. Big thanks to the EB staff!

I got the slow saving response just about 5 minutes ago. It was stuck showing Saving... in the Submit Reply button.

It was also slow going to the next page while reading a topic over in Technic forum. It showed a Loading... and stuck there.

I still have the slow saving response here (for weeks now). Using Firefox. Navigation through topics (prev/next) is also a problem. It just hangs. Refreshing the page does the trick.

Once, when I first joined, I typed a lengthy paragraph, hit "submit", and the whole thing vanished. Ugh.

But no similar problems recently.

The upgrade which we did today can already provide improved performance (due to improvements in the new db version which we are running now).

We plan to run with this version for 1 week to make sure everything is stable before doing additional tuning to improve performance. Our server expert Ace has some idea's to work on but first he'll be monitoring the database behavior the coming week.

On 1/5/2017 at 10:05 AM, Bonaparte said:

The upgrade which we did today can already provide improved performance (due to improvements in the new db version which we are running now).

We plan to run with this version for 1 week to make sure everything is stable before doing additional tuning to improve performance. Our server expert Ace has some idea's to work on but first he'll be monitoring the database behavior the coming week.

It worked better after the fullday update, but now sometimes it's slow, especially when starting a new topic.