!!!Spoilers!!!

Soooo...

It was... decent? Some things didn't make sense to me. So they boarded the ship to CAPTURE the guy, and she just shoots him and kills him instead of stunning him, and then the alien dude just beams her out without capturing him for no reason? Seems like they rushed out of that and faked the failure for no reason. I really didn't like that part which makes me question the whole thing...

The guy with the head injury earlier going down to talk to Micheal in the brig was super weird too. I guess it's because of his head injury? Idunno, just seemed super weird.

I think it suffers from the classic case of "all these people are dying but we have no reason to care" which TV shows do when they don't give characters enough development. I didn't care when anyone died including the captain because I didn't know her.

Also the Klingon designs are still BAD. I can't tell the difference between any of them except that albino one. I wasn't sure who they were fighting at first when they boarded the Klingon ship because the Klingons tended to look the same. They kept shooting some and randomly I guess one was that main captain Klingon guy... the redesign was both pointless and a bad choice.

Also what was up with the long range freakin' mind meld? You'd think they'd be doing that on purpose constantly. Another weird thing...

Mmmmmm I mean I guess I'd rate it like 3/5 stars. I think I saw some problems and some oddities. I liked the daft punk alien... lol

Edited by BrickG

10 hours ago, BrickG said:

!!!Spoilers!!!

Reveal hidden contents

(...)

Thanks for sharing! My excitement for the series has notably cooled down he more I learned about it in the recent weeks. i don't know if the pilot is going on free tv over here and I am definitely not getting Netflix just for that. A pity really. Though I heard that a second series is planned as well. If thats true, maybe that one will be better :wink:

Edited by Littleworlds
Trying to quote posts on a tablet is... urgh

From what I seen of ST:D it was not enough to make me want to get the streaming service. Personally I think The Orville comes off better for a light hearted Star Trek like show. 

Other things I didn't like about ST:D...

The time period why do they want to keep rehashing the "past" can't jump head in the future. The technology they seem to have random holograms all over the ship. Wasn't that stuff developed later in the mythos? What I am thinking for this particular hologram type was developed during Deep Space 9. I am not going to mention the random Droid on the bridge or the guy directly hooked up to the computer. The Klingons let's keep remaking them, OK maybe I missed something here but aaeeennnn. The editing first example was when the lady was in spacesuit. We see it damage floating in space then the commercial break and the next thing we see her in sick bay it just seem to random to me. I guess she was beamed aboard, to me they should of show a light or something just before the commercials. Next example the ending it seem to end 10 minutes to soon. It was ending and I looked at the clock thinking it is ending all ready, a little confused. Then a part of me thinking maybe they are going to show another episode but it didn't happen. 

OK, a little disclaimer. Karate Kid 3 was on and I was watching that first and it ended at 9 o'clock. Plus I kinda forgot ST:D was supposed to be on the air. Apparently it started at 8:30 and I am not sure what I missed. (I guess the dessert scene for one.)

P.S. I kind like this abbreviation for Star Trek: Discovery (ST:D or STD). Some how it seems appropriate for what the executives done to the show. 

P. S. I kinda like this abbreviation for Star Trek: Discovery (ST:D or STD). Some how it seems appropriate for what the executives done to the show. 

Edited by samurai-turtle
The hell with it I am leaving like it is I can't delete something like I said the hell with it

I gotta say I actually liked ST:D. The uniforms seem to me like a mash up between ST:E & ST:TOS.
But I'm intriqued by the Klingons... That coffin ship just made me think of one thing; a Bird of Prey ship.:laugh:

Gotta say I'm not a fan of Sonequa Martin-Green, for some reason I didn't like her in TWD, she puts me off.
Same goes for the intro... Just no... The visuals, meh, but the song; just no. Not ST worthy.

Other than that, interested to see some more.

@samurai-turtle & @Littleworlds there are other ways, without getting the streaming service... :wink:

Edited by -zenn

I think the most lasting thing this series will do for me are the initials.

And they want to charge a monthly fee for this!?

Edited by RetroInferno

They can't lock onto the Captain's body because there's no life signs? Wat? How do they transport anything that isn't alive like supplies? This goes against sooo much.

Honestly a LOT of it didn't make sense with Star Trek canon-science. And I know some people don't care but the lack of consistency and the lack of respecting the rules of the franchise IMO really hurts it. It's a show where half of the point is to be as SCIFI and as ACCURATE as they could reasonably be. There's a reason so many things in Star Trek later got invented for reals in real life..

11 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

By Kahless! This is a matter of honour! :laugh: :wink:

Hahaha :laugh: by Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #3; "Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to". :tongue:

On 27-9-2017 at 2:27 AM, samurai-turtle said:

Why do I get the feeling you can't tell us what they are. :look:

Oh I can, but usage is your own responsibility; possible fines depends on your countries/ISP laws.

Spoiler

*link removed*; you don't download anything, just stream it, like a YT video. So you don't have any files on your pc, but to be of the safe side you could always use a VPN. :wink:

Edited by -zenn

I'm tempted to turn this into a debate about piracy but I'll not lol.

Anyways I've seen both episodes THREE times now. Not out of love. But just because more family wanted to see it. And my opinion has lowered with each viewing. I don't know how the bad acting didn't bother me on the first viewing but it's bothering me a lot now. I mean I guess Star Trek has somehow been REALLY lucky with MASTERFUL actors. Freakin' Patrick Stewart! Freakin' the whole cast of TNG and DS9 and TOS were excellent. I mean the acting here seems so forced at times and unnatural. 

NO PIRACY!

If you want to pirate the show go somewhere else, this is not the place to discuss it. Regardless of how you feel about the show a lot of artistry and handwork went into creating it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a Trekkie to the bone, I love Star Wars to death and yet I prefer Star Trek. I'm the type who owns all the technical manuals and Star Charts and Encyclopedias and even build models of the ships (although for time restraints I mostly buy). Canon and technical stuff in Trekverse is a very large part of my enjoyment of the series. 

Evidence of my collection:

Spoiler

23520871478_1eee8afd57_b.jpg

36702791843_c90d5cb068_b.jpg

As for Discovery here is my opinion and I suspect here I will be in the minority:

I loved it! I think opposite of BrickG my opinions have risen each time. I wrote my feel for it if anyone's interested in the spoilers here.

Spoiler

Its a pilot and if this is a marker of the first season i'm extraordinarily excited for the future of Star Trek. The only Star Trek series that had a good pilot and first season is the Original Series.TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT all had a terrible mediocre first several seasons.

As for bad acting I don't understand that in the slightest. Doug Jones as Saru is awesome, Sonequa is plausibly a human raised by vulcans, and Michelle Yeoh is a badass as Captain Georgia. I really enjoyed Chris Obi as T'kuvma and his makeup was great as well as Voq, although i'm not nearly sold on the other Klingons. The only acting I didnt like was the part with Ensign Connor (if you've seen the episode you know which part i'm talking about) and the opening on the desert planet, those felt awkward and forced.

Sarek was great (also he may seem younger then Mark Lenard but James Frain is actually older now then when Lenard original played Sarek) and the whole Vulcan Hello is a really awesome insight into early Vulcan and Star Trek history. The whole Klingon Empire being in disarray and being relatively isolated for a century is really cool as well. For the first time these episodes made the Klingons feel fresh and unpredictable! 

As for the visuals i'm okay at the moment of how everything looks. I think to me the Original Series still feels way more advanced because you know their era's tech is better and yet they don't need all the fancy gizmos and visuals the Shenzhou or Discovery needs. To me Discovery is like an early Android phone and TOS is a sleek apple device. One is simpler and more elegant where one is ridiculous and somewhat more rudimentary. 

As for the battle I think it was done really well and I'm so happy Starfleet got absolutely massacred. That may sound strange but i'm tired of shows like SW Rebels and Marvel and others where the heroes beat hoardes of enemies with little difficulty. This war is going to be an uphill climb, especially for a society that is oriented towards peace. How the Federation attains peace is going to be fascinating to see as the series goes on.

I can understand why people may not like it, I just think the feel of the show hasn't been set yet. This two parter is essentially a prelude for world building and establishing the setting and I think episode 3 is going to be the real first episode of the series. 

This may seem obvious but I want to make sure people know this is a place all opinions on the show are welcome. I've noticed a lot of divisiveness on the internet in both directions where people are in places they can't openly love the show or dislike or even hate the show.

All opinions are welcome here.

Edited by Forresto

Just for the record: I am NOT endorsing posting links to pirated content on this site, or have even asked for it. I actually didn't expect at all that someone would actually put up a link to a pirate-site, hence my rather humorous reply to that offer...

36 minutes ago, Littleworlds said:

Just for the record: I am NOT endorsing posting links to pirated content on this site, or have even asked for it. I actually didn't expect at all that someone would actually put up a link to a pirate-site, hence my rather humorous reply to that offer...

:blush: Sorry if that came across to strongly. It wasnt aimed at anyone in particular its just i've read a report Star Trek Disco is being heavily pirated and I don't want the Mods shutting the thread down :classic:

1 hour ago, Forresto said:

:blush: Sorry if that came across to strongly. It wasnt aimed at anyone in particular its just i've read a report Star Trek Disco is being heavily pirated and I don't want the Mods shutting the thread down :classic:

No worries! I'm just ensuring that the moderators here don't get the wrong impression, since I can't see that link being posted without consequences.:wink:

Errrm.... don't have any means to watch any episode of ST:D now, but I'm kinda curious: What's that "Vulcan Hello" thingie everyone seems to talk about? Spoiler me, please, can't stop brooding about it :laugh:

4 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Errrm.... don't have any means to watch any episode of ST:D now, but I'm kinda curious: What's that "Vulcan Hello" thingie everyone seems to talk about? Spoiler me, please, can't stop brooding about it :laugh:

Spoiler

Essentially the Vulcan Hello is this. Way back, pre Enterprise era, the Vulcans made first contact with the Klingons when a Vulcan ship crossed paths with a Klingon ship. The Vulcans approached them like they would any other species, peacefully. The Klingons being Klingon of course obliterated the Vulcan ship. The Vulcans continued to peacefully try and make first contact but their ships just kept getting obliterated so the Vulcans logically deduced a warrior race will only respect a show of strength.

So from that point whenever a Vulcan ship crossed paths with the Klingons the Vulcans would fire first and destroy the Klingon ship. Eventually they garnered the Klingon's respect and were able to open diplomatic channels with them. Sarek informs Commander Burnham about this and she calls it a Vulcan Hello. 

Aha. Thanks a lot, @Forresto. Well, I don't know if that is Canon, seems I do have a different story in my mind from reading old Canon books.

Dang, I really need to get my TV setup working in my new flat...

2 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Aha. Thanks a lot, @Forresto. Well, I don't know if that is Canon, seems I do have a different story in my mind from reading old Canon books.

Well it is now... 

Just for the record, @Forresto I was not asking for a link to anything. I was just trying to make a point that anything like that is questionable. If you are going to yell at anyone it should be @-zenn for putting that link up. 

Nah, I'm not endorsing piracy... Got over a 1200+ orginal DVD movie/series collection myself. :wink:

But I was just saying, if you really really wanna see it so bad, that there are other ways...
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #14; "Anything stolen is pure profit". :tongue:

*edit; removed the link* But I got to state, there's nothing on Eurobricks ToS/Guidlines about it.:pir-murder:

Ya'll I'm not yelling at anyone specifically or yelling, the bold font is to simply make it perfectly clear links to pirated versions are the only thing not welcome in this thread. :wink: its okay it was just a misunderstanding but now we're all clear. 

@Capparezza yeah I feel like I remember the lore in the books used to be different there as well. It's not the only lore aspect from the books ST expanded universe changed, actually it may not even be the biggest change.

On a Star Trek-ish note... The Orville...

It is like a cheesy, somewhat poorly made 90s sci-fi show. Very Trek'ish but with worse characters and more humor. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. It's got that classic Seth McFarland humor but only a bit and only occasionally then tries to go into classic sci-fi scenarios that deal with ethics and cultures and stuff. Blablabla. It's got really terrible designs. Like I thought we were over the different species with slightly different noses or ears. Trek started that due to budget constraints and I can't blame them but apparently it's not over at all. I just watched an episode where people were a bit spotty (forgivable in the 90s with Jadzia, but less so now). The show almost feels like TOO MUCH of a tribute and IMO it actually is a very bland and poor one. Not surpassing the original Treks in any real or meaningful way.

It's highly episodic so far too. And it's awkward mix of not taking itself serious and sometimes taking itself seriously will lead me to not take it seriously because it doesn't know what it wants.

I just don't care about it. The robot guy looks like an idiot also. 

Episode 3 of Discovery is the real pilot of the show. It's fantastic. So much better then the first two episodes.

Theres a LOT of science in this episode. The pacing problems of episodes 1 & 2 have been fixed.

Captain Lorca is super cool and mysterious. In fact that's a word i'd use to describe this show, mysterious. For the first time in a long time I have np idea where the series will go from here and that's a very good feeling.

Edited by Forresto

So we're five episodes into the series now. I rewatched all five with my buddy and I realized a fundamental aspect of the show.

Discovery is a show at its best when its binged.

It's extremely serial and kind've a slow burn. Themes and concepts that are typically dealt with in one episode in old school Trek are being carried and developed over many episodes. 

Characters that seem un trek have actually been revealed to be much aligned to the principles of the Federation and Starfleet. 

Spoiler

As the show has progressed its become increasingly closer to old school Trek, not like how the Orville is practically 90s Trek, but in story and themes and characters. 

The USS Discovery is in a spiritual crisis so to speak. Many characters such as Burnham, Stamets, Dr. Culber, and Tilly exhibit the fundamental ideals of the series and would fit in the universe of the other series whereas other characters such as Lorca and Saru are much more ambiguous as of now.  

Yes there are still dark concepts and moments but this season is dealing with the war that shapes the entire franchise against a hostile warrior race unafraid to die for honor. The Klingon War is essentially the Pacific theatre of WWII but on a larger scale. 

Edited by Forresto