Sign in to follow this  
Keter

Interactive GOH map (discussion)

Detaied map shouldnt be very realistic.

But if it is a mountains place it could have some roads, small willages, caves, ork camps and other.

I think that we could make some teamplates for each object on the map. And we would need only to combinate them in right positions.

Of course it will take a time, but I said at start that if we want to have a good result it would take a time.

Yes, thanks! Thats right!

Have we got GoH members who had expearence in Map creating?

Some members of the Old Guard. We should contact the people working on the GoH poster, wich is meant to get some of these veterans back active

Hi all!

The first step that should be done for this project is a GoH Map.

I tried to do this map and need your comments to understand where I had mistakes (it was a bit hard to combine four maps into one)

Please write me if I have a mistake. The hardest part were rivers in Nocturnus and Kaliphlin.

28179356305_e6979ee0d9_c.jpgGoH by Evgeny Susekov, on Flickr

It is only the first step of the map without any details.

Edited by Keter

Has no one linked you to this?

I believe the island of Gorr is missing on the above.

Al Esterbroke might also be missing, I'm really not sure exactly where that is (it's a relatively new addition).

Also Ulandus is at the bottom somewhere.

NiceMarmot did the above map and all the maps for Kaliphlin. You might want to try to contact him, he could possibly give you a GIMP file or something.

I know that as for Avalonia, the Enchanted Forest, i.e. the big island in the west, should not be divided by rivers into almost separate islands, but instead look something like this:

28181105455_42567d31e7.jpgEnchanted Forest by Benjamin Stenlund, on Flickr

Sorry about the quality, but I was stuck using MS Paint, not the most sophisticated of tools...

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

Hi all!

The first step that should be done for this project is a GoH Map.

I tried to do this map and need your comments to understand where I had mistakes (it was a bit hard to combine four maps into one)

Please write me if I have a mistake. The hardest part were rivers in Nocturnus and Kaliphlin.

It is only the first step of the map without any details.

Looking good so far!

Looks like a great first attempt! As Kai said, I'd try contacting those members who have done the current maps. Nocturnus and Mitgardia also recently updated their maps, though I don't remember off the top of my head who did them. Another thing I thought of, would be to include varlyrio, as MOCs have been done, and can continue to be done there. However, rather than having it placed where it should go to scale, maybe it'd be best to have it boxed in and closer to the rest of the map, the way Alaska and Hawaii are represented on maps of the US, if you know what I mean. The tricky part here is I don't remember ever seeing a map of Varlyrio before. The creator (MikeyB) may be able to help with that.

Edited by MiloNelsiano

Has no one linked you to this?

I believe the island of Gorr is missing on the above.

Al Esterbroke might also be missing, I'm really not sure exactly where that is (it's a relatively new addition).

Also Ulandus is at the bottom somewhere.

NiceMarmot did the above map and all the maps for Kaliphlin. You might want to try to contact him, he could possibly give you a GIMP file or something.

Hi!

Thanks a lot for this map! I will need to remake my map with using this one. Will try to contact NiceMarmot

Also about Ulandus and Esterbroke, where could I find info about them?

I know that as for Avalonia, the Enchanted Forest, i.e. the big island in the west, should not be divided by rivers into almost separate islands, but instead look something like this:

28181105455_42567d31e7.jpgEnchanted Forest by Benjamin Stenlund, on Flickr

Sorry about the quality, but I was stuck using MS Paint, not the most sophisticated of tools...

Thanks a lot! No problem about quality. These rivers should be the same or it is just a example and I could myself?

Looks like a great first attempt! As Kai said, I'd try contacting those members who have done the current maps. Nocturnus and Mitgardia also recently updated their maps, though I don't remember off the top of my head who did them. Another thing I thought of, would be to include varlyrio, as MOCs have been done, and can continue to be done there. However, rather than having it placed where it should go to scale, maybe it'd be best to have it boxed in and closer to the rest of the map, the way Alaska and Hawaii are represented on maps of the US, if you know what I mean. The tricky part here is I don't remember ever seeing a map of Varlyrio before. The creator (MikeyB) may be able to help with that.

Thanks a lot! So we havent got a map of Valyrio on the forum?

Thanks a lot for all who are interested in this project, thats great that I am not alone who interested in it.

These rivers should be the same or it is just a example and I could myself?

I took this from the current map of Avalonia, just removing the boundaries of the various realms, so it would probably be best if the rivers stayed at least fairly close to what you see here, as some of them form political boundaries or play key roles in the economies of the cities of the realms.

I took this from the current map of Avalonia, just removing the boundaries of the various realms, so it would probably be best if the rivers stayed at least fairly close to what you see here, as some of them form political boundaries or play key roles in the economies of the cities of the realms.

Ok, thanks!

I think that our interactive map wouldnt have info about any political borders, I think would be better to use geographic regions for it.

But anyway rivers would be done correctly.

Another idea I had but forgot about, you could include the Avalonian task 4 settlements for the map, meaning only Se torments recognized as official settlements get put on the map. That way, members have to go through a little bit more before the settlement is on the map. Otherwise, you may have a lot of people joining, wanting their settlement included in the map, and then disappearing, which could turn into a lot more work for you or whoever is updating the map.

Hi!

Thanks a lot for this map! I will need to remake my map with using this one. Will try to contact NiceMarmot

Also about Ulandus and Esterbroke, where could I find info about them? ...

Here is a map that has Ulandus and Esterbroke on it, but it would probably be hard for you to work with. I can't seem to find the original - it might be on NM's photostream.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that al esterbrook was the island to the south west. I think you've already got it on your map.

I have a question to all GoH members.

I work with map now and want to make some new places on it. May be icles or undergrownds or new cities. When interactive map will be finished I want to start some events with them.

How do you think - would it be OK or not? Do you want new places in GoH? Or you think that GoH is OK now and dont need something new?

I have a question to all GoH members.

I work with map now and want to make some new places on it. May be icles or undergrownds or new cities. When interactive map will be finished I want to start some events with them.

How do you think - would it be OK or not? Do you want new places in GoH? Or you think that GoH is OK now and dont need something new?

If you want to add new islands or other relatively big natural features, then you should ask the guild leader(s) for permission. The same goes for large cities. Underground cities sound cool, by the way! What I think is best, though, is to first start building and only add that place to the map once you have built it.

If you want to add new islands or other relatively big natural features, then you should ask the guild leader(s) for permission. The same goes for large cities. Underground cities sound cool, by the way! What I think is best, though, is to first start building and only add that place to the map once you have built it.

Thanks for your answer! Anyway I think the best way now to finish Interactive map with all territories we already have.

This is map V2. Please check it and write if I lost something or did something wrong.

(Varlyrio would be in a special "box" and I will change rivers on large Avalonian island in V3)

28188413401_792e56672d_b.jpgGoH map v2 by Evgeny Susekov, on Flickr

Could somebody draw borders of guilds on my map? And what colours would be better for each guild?

Edited by Keter

Is that Varlyrio to the far top left?

Yes, Varlyrio, but it would be in a special "box".

What exactly do you mean by "what colours would be better for each guild?" I assume you mean the terrain colours? If so, I think having the entire map drawn up as it is, so no guild border lines and colours corresponding to the landscape on that part of the map. EG, beige for the deserts.

What exactly do you mean by "what colours would be better for each guild?" I assume you mean the terrain colours? If so, I think having the entire map drawn up as it is, so no guild border lines and colours corresponding to the landscape on that part of the map. EG, beige for the deserts.

I thought about zoom function and think that it is not a good way at this step of map. As I sad before I want to make many interactive functions as counters of MoCs of each guilds, guild events and other. So each guild should be as the separate object. So there would be three interactive steps of map.

1) Full map of four guilds. (the map I posted at previous message). Each guild painted at own color. No mountains, forests or cities on the map. Here user could hover on each guild and see info about it: members, history, races, counters of MoCs and other.

2) User could click on guild teritory at previous map and see a detailed map of it (with zoom function). Here user would see all objects as cities, forests, mountains, roads and other. User could hover mountains (or other object) and see it's name, description and qty of mocs on it. If user click on object he will go to the new window with list of MoCs, their info, description and url to the topics on EB.

I wrote many words about markers. Now I have two variants.

1) We dont use markers. We dont need them if map of guild with separate large objects would be last step. This case with using markers we would have too much of them and wouldnt see map clear.

2) Each large object on detailed guild map is also clickable. User could click on the mountains and see very detailed and realistic map with all small caves, roads, settlements, small rivers, lakes and other small and concrect objects.This way markers would be good way. But here we should do a realy hard work with map. ANd I know that I couldnt do it alone.

So I think that at the first version of interactive map we start without markers, but with separate clickable and hoverable objects.

So I need a colors and borders for the large maps of all guilds.

I thought about zoom function and think that it is not a good way at this step of map. As I sad before I want to make many interactive functions as counters of MoCs of each guilds, guild events and other. So each guild should be as the separate object. So there would be three interactive steps of map.

1) Full map of four guilds. (the map I posted at previous message). Each guild painted at own color. No mountains, forests or cities on the map. Here user could hover on each guild and see info about it: members, history, races, counters of MoCs and other.

2) User could click on guild teritory at previous map and see a detailed map of it (with zoom function). Here user would see all objects as cities, forests, mountains, roads and other. User could hover mountains (or other object) and see it's name, description and qty of mocs on it. If user click on object he will go to the new window with list of MoCs, their info, description and url to the topics on EB.

I wrote many words about markers. Now I have two variants.

1) We dont use markers. We dont need them if map of guild with separate large objects would be last step. This case with using markers we would have too much of them and wouldnt see map clear.

2) Each large object on detailed guild map is also clickable. User could click on the mountains and see very detailed and realistic map with all small caves, roads, settlements, small rivers, lakes and other small and concrect objects.This way markers would be good way. But here we should do a realy hard work with map. ANd I know that I couldnt do it alone.

So I think that at the first version of interactive map we start without markers, but with separate clickable and hoverable objects.

So I need a colors and borders for the large maps of all guilds.

How about having a semi transparent overlay that has the forest and mountains on it? That way you sort of get the best of both worlds.

Why don't you post in each guild thread and ask an opinion on the colours. That way you will get the best response.

I still personally support the idea of having the map like this one, Historica Map , with added details like the MOCs and the info about a location viewable as you zoomed in.

I wouldn't like to have a map which is just a colour overlay, a version like the one I linked above would be much more in keeping with GoH, I think.

How about having a semi transparent overlay that has the forest and mountains on it? That way you sort of get the best of both worlds.

Why don't you post in each guild thread and ask an opinion on the colours. That way you will get the best response.

I still personally support the idea of having the map like this one, https://www.flickr.c.../in/dateposted/ , with added details like the MOCs and the info about a location viewable as you zoomed in.

I wouldn't like to have a map which is just a colour overlay, a version like the one I linked above would be much more in keeping with GoH, I think.

Thanks for your answer. I think that would be not a problem to make an interface were each member could chose what variant of map he want to see: detailed or not. I am working with this map as with many layers, not as one object. So it will be not hard to try many variants.

But I want to start with easiest version of map. I am doing it alone now and it would be hard to me to do all details. I want to make all basic functional at start and see reaction of GoH members. I dont want to spend hundred hours and close project becouse no one need it. Now It is only my enthusiasm.

I will write to the guild treads now, thanks for this idea!

UPDATE:

What about Cedrica? As I understood it is not a guild, but it is not only the city, it have it's own territory?

Edited by Keter

This is a fantastic project. Cedrica is the capitol city of Historica and is found in the relative center of the map. I have a more detailed map of Mitgardia I'll get to you soon.

This is a fantastic project. Cedrica is the capitol city of Historica and is found in the relative center of the map. I have a more detailed map of Mitgardia I'll get to you soon.

Thanks a lot! Will wait for Mitgardia detailed map.

Start working with mountains and forests for detailed map. I think that mountains are good, but dont sure about forest. How do you think: is this style ok? Or I should add more types of trees?

Could somebody help me to find more png trees?

tqI41Czpu-I.jpg