Cjd223

Building Mortesv's Nebulon-B Thread

Building had begun!!! I am about 1,200 or so pieces in and so far so good. Pics to come tomorrow of my progress.

Great to hear mate!

I have made a few adjustments to the ship in a few places (I do not know why I can't stop tinkering). I is nothing major, but I can post the pics here if people are interested :)

3-finger hinge joint. Those parts are ordered from a Bricklink store in Denmark and now they have a banner up that they are on holiday until 11 July! :angry:

haha sounds like you ordered from the same seller as me. I ordered some odd colours though. Also, made the mistake of ordering the parts for the MF from the LDD seperately, so I have two! Some of the parts in that were the 3-finger joint, so I think I'll be covered in any case.

About 60% of my orders have arrived. A few stragglers dragging the chain. Build could be anywhere from now -> 6 months though. The medical frigate has been No.1 on my want list ever since I came out of my dark ages, so this build might just jump to the front of the queue... I have parts for a sitting waiting to build for the 10179, 10030, 10221, Anothergol's AT-ST, Darth Vader's Tie Advanced from 75150, and 8099... can't wait to build this Nebulon B!!

Great to hear mate!

I have made a few adjustments to the ship in a few places (I do not know why I can't stop tinkering). I is nothing major, but I can post the pics here if people are interested :)

Sounds intriguing Mortesv. Always good to see refinements. If you have the capacity to do so, could you annotate what parts are replaced and new in your mods so people could copy? That's if you are managing with the sleepless nights a newborn brings!

Congrats on parenthood it's a blast. I just built a little plane with my 3 year old!

Sounds intriguing Mortesv. Always good to see refinements. If you have the capacity to do so, could you annotate what parts are replaced and new in your mods so people could copy? That's if you are managing with the sleepless nights a newborn brings!

Congrats on parenthood it's a blast. I just built a little plane with my 3 year old!

Thank you - he will be our very soon - should have been out a couple of days ago :)

I will what I can do about the mods - it is just very minute details, some of them I can't even remember what I did, but pics should tell. It is not like you need to buy a huge new stash of bricks :)

Any news Mortesv? Boy? Girl? I pray for a quick delivery and recovery.

I'm still waiting for parts. Still no invoice from the Dutch seller which has all of the flat hinges. I've ordered parts for the Rebel Transport and I'll bet I get a few of those done first as I've only got one euro seller and he has shipped already.

In the mean time, I do have the MF built and since I've got time on my hands, I've (in the words of Han Solo) made a few modifications myself. One thing you really need to make sure that the pins (#43093) have the friction ridge on them. I initially had the ones without and it was impossible to keep the hexagon printed round tiles aligned. I thought the top look a little flat so added an extra layer of 4x4 corner plates. I put a 1x1 round tile underneath the corner (of the 4x4 plate) near the center (of the MF) to raise that point. Now the top looks a little more dome shaped. I haven't done the bottom yet and I'm not sure I will as I don't to make it too heavy.

Hope your builds are going well.

28219738706_8e64887422_c.jpgDSC01560 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

28219733116_6af807a9bc_c.jpgDSC01562 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47

It is great to see some members getting started on their builds. I would have loved to reply and jump in on the fun, but I was busy building my own! That's right, I have now completed the Nebulon-B using the manual, and it is gorgeous! :laugh:

No issues came up with the manual, although I did have a few extra and a few missing pieces, hopefully just a slip up on my part of bricklinking and not an issue with the parts list. As for the build itself, it took a grand total of 31 hours to complete start to finish, including me moving the ship and figuring out how to flip it over on the stands.

The best way that I found for the stands is to set up the Nebulon skeleton on top of boxes that hang it just a tad higher than the stands would. Put the boxes under the skinny middle arm, it will be stable there. Then snap in the front and back support stands. From there carefully slide out the boxes from under the middle arm and attach the middle support. It is much easier to do with two people so one can support the ship while the other attaches the middle support, but I managed to do it alone so it is possible by yourself.

Another thing that I suggest is before you stand it up on the supports, figure out where it will be displayed and stand it up there. I ran into the trouble of trying to move it after a few of the panels were on the back of the ship, and long story short, the panels broke and I ended up having to reattach them anyways. So in summary, build the internal skeleton (up to page 603 in the manual), set the skeleton to the side and build all supports. Then figure out your display area and set it up on the stands there. Attaching the pods will be a bit trickier this way, so you could also complete the pods and then move it up to where it will be displayed with all pods attached. Then it is just a matter of building panels and sticking them into place, which is pretty scary when the ship wobbles a little bit!

As stated earlier the manual did not give me any issues, and having made the manual did not give me any advantage as for the building process, I didn't exactly memorize the steps as I made the manual! When attaching the front left/right panels (Use the LDD files as a guide of what those are) I found it best just to attach one or two of the plate with pinholes and then sliding just those in rather than attaching the large panels to many different parts. In regards to the LDD files, they are EXTREMELY useful in attaching panels as they clearly point how/where each one attaches as compared to where the manual just shows them in their finished places.

On another note, the GR-75 is included with this bundle now. Its thread can be found here: http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=137021

Enough chitter chatter, here is what you all want to see, my finished model on display :grin: A video for this ship will be posted within the next few days, I will post the link in here.

27639293754_679073078e_z_d.jpg

27639293054_a8fa4c4f33_z_d.jpg

27639293334_0107abb123_z_d.jpg

27639294024_cf194d02cc_z_d.jpg

Edited by Cjd223

Looks great Cj - congratulations! Please show how it can be swished in the video ;)

I like that you that you have it displayed on the "non-hero" side - I seldom see this angle because mine is displayed the other way around (The other side is called "Hero" since that is the one displayed in the movie).

Now you can begin making the GR-75 - I have made the second one now :)

@ecmo - your Falcon look great, nice work!

My kid was supposed to come out last week, but he doesn't want to come out yet - however, that gave the me time to build the extra GR-75 ;)

Now I will probably not have the time to build lego for awhile - though I do have a project going on in LDD ... ;)

Looking good there, Cjd223. Cant wait to get going! Displaying will be a problem though as I have 2 cats that like to investigate things.

Mortesv. I've order enough parts for up to 3 transports (I think). Each one will have a different mix of colors. The cargo modules will have a mix of olive, dark blue and dark orange to go with the current color scheme. One will be primarily LBG accented with dark orange and DBG.

My kids took their sweet time coming out too! The second one was supposed to be a late October baby but hung around until 11 Nov. Mom wasn't happy! Hang in there!

(Oh, and enjoy those large/precarious models while you can. They will go as soon as the kid is mobile!)

Edited by ecmo47

Looking good there, Cjd223. Cant wait to get going! Displaying will be a problem though as I have 2 cats that like to investigate things.

Mortesv. I've order enough parts for up to 3 transports (I think). Each one will have a different mix of colors. The cargo modules will have a mix of olive, dark blue and dark orange to go with the current color scheme. One will be primarily LBG accented with dark orange and DBG.

My kids took there sweet time coming out too! The second one was supposed to be a late October baby but hung around until 11 Nov. Mom wasn't happy! Hang in there!

(Oh, and enjoy those large/precarious models while you can. They will go as soon as the kid is mobile!)

THREE! Way to go - I have settled for two (that is what I count in the end scene of Empire and I don't have any more space :) ). I have also mixed the second one around a bit :)

The shelf is up high, so I will have a few years :) Since it is the first, we could expect it to take week more than the due date - add to this that the doctor just said the due date was set a too bit early - it could be today it could be in two weeks. Girlfriend is getting impatient :)

Next Mortesv's build will be a UCS Star Destroyer made of Duplo...

Hehe, I did actually build a ISD in Duplo for my niece when she was one year old. Sadly she crashed it... should have know she was a Rebel in the making ;)

My guess that it is a certain 150 meter ship that "...is a truly antiquated craft. Multiple fuel-burning engines. Nemo-esque fines and a hammerhead cockpit suggests an era when spaceships were commissioned and handcrafted."

Bonus points to anyone that can identify the source of that description!

Edited by ecmo47

My guess that it is a certain 150 meter ship that "...is a truly antiquated craft. Multiple fuel-burning engines. Nemo-esque fines and a hammerhead cockpit suggests an era when spaceships were commissioned and handcrafted."

Would it be this ship?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Braha%27tok-class_gunship

Too short - 150m is the Corellian Corvette, which he also already suggested being built a few posts before ;).

No idea where the quote is from though.

Edited by Sethra

You are quite right ;)

Very close! The quote actually came from this book. It was one of my Christmas presents for 1977 and still has a place of honor on my bookshelf. I assume the trading card description was lifted from that.

28019803860_7e67f880af_c.jpgDSC01565 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

28301437015_efb75a3994_c.jpgDSC01566 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

28019799970_e6c90cb63b_c.jpgDSC01567 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47

Very interesting book! Looks pretty well worn. I also like the way it describes Star Wars as a "Space Fantasy," which is probably more accurate than calling it science fiction.

Very close! The quote actually came from this book. It was one of my Christmas presents for 1977 and still has a place of honor on my bookself. I assume the the card description was lifted from that.

What a beautiful book!

My work on the ldd is on hold since I have just gotten a little (big) boy! :)

The work already done on the ldd looks great, but it is nowhere near finished yet.

My boy is just as handsome as his dad. I know, breathtaking! :D

Congratulations! Hope mom and Mortesv junior are doing well.We expect you to NOT post for at least a week!

Selfishly, I'm kind of glad that the latest LDD is on hold. I'm struggling to one transport complete! Still waiting for one order to invoice on the Neb.

Second day and about 2000 pieces in. So far so good. Filming be build and then speed up and will post

Edited by Lahh001

What a beautiful book!

My work on the ldd is on hold since I have just gotten a little (big) boy! :)

The work already done on the ldd looks great, but it is nowhere near finished yet.

My boy is just as handsome as his dad. I know, breathtaking! :D

Congratulations!!

Do you want some help on that LDD? :grin:

Congratulations mortesv, that's brilliant news!

I doubt that you'll get much sleep in the next few weeks, so perhaps it's best if you take a break from LDD for a while! I've been following this thread with interest; I'm very tempted to take this on as a project for the winter. The add-ons (especially the GR-75s) really add to the finished look :wub: