do you guys that build big armys and stuff buy the entire set multiple times or do you buy the minifigures seperatly and if so do you recomend a certain site for this?

Bricklink.com.

I army build via sets. For Star Wars this is easier because of battlepacks, but I also bought multiple of the LOTR Uruk-Hai Army and the Hobbit Mirkwood Elf Army to get multiple minifigures. I use the bricks in the sets anyway, so it doesn't negate buying the whole set when needed.

Bricks & Pieces on LEGO's Shop@Home is a somewhat decent alternative to Bricklink.com.

bedankt en vet by the way

Even if all members in a certain thread were to be Dutch-speaking, then still: English, please!

brick link is a good way to army build…. but be careful, a lot of sellers on brick link think their stuff is gold and charge an arm and a leg. When i did some army building on brick link I would only pay $2.50 or less for a mini fig.

But If i can get a Lego battle pack with the figs ill buy those instead. I find a lot of sellers on brick link are just people trying to get rid of old legos they had as a kid for an overinflated price. This isn't true when buying bricks or pieces…. but when buying retired sets or mini figures. I wanted to buy another Black Seas Barracuda, but in the US the only sellers want $200 or more and half of them the sails are stained or torn. If your trying to sell a retired ship the sails better be perfect or you should be selling it for less then original market value.

Sorry for the rant.

I did not buy the LOTR sets when they were in shop, my biggest mistake ever. Now I have to bricklink too :D

I was "fortunate" to at least come out of my dark ages, to the last wave of LOTR sets. I also got a couple of sets from the hobbit, but clearly, in either case it was by far not enough. The LOTR theme had so incredibly lots of potential. The sets were looking great (mostly) and the minifigs were lovely designed and printed. It really should have got the appreciation Star Wars got, but the direct competition with it only knew one winner sadly.

Anyway, I sometimes buy smaller sets several times, to increase numbers. More often though I look at bricklink for complete minifigs or pieces to customize something together. Since I'm pretty freestyle with my world building, I'm fine with exotic combinations :wink:

Combination. For Star Wars, I rely primarily on battlepacks with a few exceptions. For Castle/Historic I rely on CMFs and Bricklink with a few exceptions. Notably the Uruk-hai and Mirkwood LotR sets and the castle battle packs that occasionaly come out (The problem with these is that they usually come with a king or Knight that is less useful than the common soldiers. Your price for fig is going to depend on what you want and what you are comfortable with spending. I don't like to spend more than $5 per fig, but there have been numerous exceptions.

Combination. For Star Wars, I rely primarily on battlepacks with a few exceptions. For Castle/Historic I rely on CMFs and Bricklink with a few exceptions. Notably the Uruk-hai and Mirkwood LotR sets and the castle battle packs that occasionaly come out (The problem with these is that they usually come with a king or Knight that is less useful than the common soldiers. Your price for fig is going to depend on what you want and what you are comfortable with spending. I don't like to spend more than $5 per fig, but there have been numerous exceptions.

You seem to know much about all that. Do you know if there is a battle pack or polybad with Doubloon of Sky pirates 2016?

To my knowledge, he only comes in the Zepplin set. The new battle pack looks to have some interesting parts, but with two non-ninja-colored ninjas (red and white), it will be more cost-effective to BL the parts I want.

It depends. If there is a set that is relatively inexpensive and has a good selection of minifigures, I might buy multiples. If there is a set that I don't like, but I want the minifigures, I'll typically order from BrickLink. If the set is too expensive to buy more than 1, I'll probably BrickLink the minifigures I want. The problem is that minifigures in expensive sets seem to be more expensive on BrickLink as well, sometimes to the point of ridiculousness.

If the set is too expensive to buy more than 1, I'll probably BrickLink the minifigures I want. The problem is that minifigures in expensive sets seem to be more expensive on BrickLink as well, sometimes to the point of ridiculousness.

I absolutely agree. Sometimes you just have to wait till you find a bigger set, with a minifig you have an eye on, reduced. Its tedious sometimes, but i clearly don't endorse "fantasy" prices. Better wait and focus on something else in the meantime, instead of making a bad deal.