VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Sets Discussion

I kinda hope the creatures don't turn out to be a basic small ccbs body with spring launchers and legs/wings/fins attached.

when we could have small creatures that are technic based with funny gimmicks, like this: http://gk733-bonkles...-gimmick-im-not

Edit: I've come to conclusion that the lever is faulty but not something I couldn't fix so it doesn't really change this situation.

So cute.I want them. :thumbup:

I kinda hope the creatures don't turn out to be a basic small ccbs body with spring launchers and legs/wings/fins attached.

when we could have small creatures that are technic based with funny gimmicks, like this: http://gk733-bonkles...-gimmick-im-not

While this concept is really cool, I really do not agree with you. I mean, there's a reason why LoSS was universally despised - do you really want that repeated five or six times?

I doubt they'd do that anyway, as little Technic builds are more complex than smaller CCBS models would be, so to make the smallest sets the most complex would be sales-suicide. The smallest sets are generally the more accessible ones, and are therefore the ready choice for younger kids, so to make them the most complicated and therefore bump up the minimum age rating would be really stupid.

So, no. I admire your wishful thinking, but kindly decline.

Edited by LewiMOC

While this concept is really cool, I really do not agree with you. I mean, there's a reason why LoSS was universally despised

Maybe by you, I know a lot of people (me included) who enjoyed LOSS more than some of the Toa. It's a subjective thing, really.

I love LoSS' s function, and the set is what it is. My only problems are mainly unrelated to the set, but the character. The fact that he is a singular enemy vs 6 or 12, and at his small size, got on my nerves as he was the only proper villain for the winter wave. I'd rather that release formation not be continued.

While this concept is really cool, I really do not agree with you. I mean, there's a reason why LoSS was universally despised - do you really want that repeated five or six times?

I doubt they'd do that anyway, as little Technic builds are more complex than smaller CCBS models would be, so to make the smallest sets the most complex would be sales-suicide. The smallest sets are generally the more accessible ones, and are therefore the ready choice for younger kids, so to make them the most complicated and therefore bump up the minimum age rating would be really stupid.

So, no. I admire your wishful thinking, but kindly decline.

I don't think all of them would share LoSS's function nor do I hate the set but you bring up a good point that the complexity would be a problem.

Edit: I've come to conclusion that the lever is faulty but not something I couldn't fix so it doesn't really change this situation.

Yeah, I'd be all for stuff like this. While I would also love stuff with more bones/shells, I also want LEGO to experiment with new functions and different ways of implementing old ones. This also includes plenty of tasty new pieces like 4M Purple Shells and Beast Claws. Plus, the legs are pose-able here, which sidesteps the problem LOSS ran into.

Yes. VERY YES.

I mean, that's not to say I'd be opposed to some of the creatures having more traditional CCBS-based builds (in fact, I expect that ALL of them will use standard CCBS connections to a greater extent than that mock-up, regardless of whether they have functions, since the mock-up is way more complex and Technic-based than I'd typically expect of a small, introductory-priced constraction set). But Lord of Skull Spiders was a fantastic set, and to get a whole assortment of function-based creature sets like him would be a dream come true. Flapping wings! Swinging tails! Large, Snapping jaws! And yes, probably at least one monkey or similar creature with a more traditional gear function. There's plenty of opportunity, and while I'd probably enjoy less functional, more posable CCBS creatures plenty, I'd go nuts for a bunch of creatures with unique and distinctive functions.

wait, people hated loSS? I mean sure, it wasn't great, but that's because the legs were immoveable and the function didn't work as advertised. I'd have no problem with smaller, tighter version of that idea. Particuarly functions in things like jaws or claws rather than legs.

wait, people hated loSS? I mean sure, it wasn't great, but that's because the legs were immoveable and the function didn't work as advertised. I'd have no problem with smaller, tighter version of that idea. Particuarly functions in things like jaws or claws rather than legs.

Granted, I don't own the set, but I have seen it in the plastic, and I found it aesthetically unpleasing, in a way I don't think it would have been had it not been function-based.

Now, I wouldn't condemn function-based quadrupeds solely on the basis of a single set, but you've got Skull Scorpio in the second wave, who is all the more frustrating for being an interesting failure, one so easily rectified, as Logan artfully demonstrated.

So, it's zero for two, in my opinion, in the functional quadruped department. Not cause to despair of the success of any such future sets, but certainly reason for folks like me to be apprehensive.

Patrol the entrance to the ancient city with the monstrous Lord of Skull Spiders! Protectors wanting to unlock the secrets of the city will have to get past this evil-eyed, 6-legged creature first. And the Lord of Skull Spiders has its own secret weapon – pull the rear lever to grip and crush anyone who gets too close! Combine with buildable LEGO® BIONICLE® Protector and Master sets for thrilling good vs. evil battles.

How, specifically, did the function of Lord of Skull Spiders not work as advertised? I saw plenty of people who were disappointed by his function, to be sure—but that largely came from the false assumption that his mask was for grabbing and removing masks like the 2001 Rahi. The only promotional or marketing material that I've seen which even comes close to that assumption is the back of the box, which shows him gripping the included mask with his forelegs (probably due to wanting to demonstrate the set's function with its contents)—and even then, that's something the set can do perfectly well so long as you're not actively trying to lift or move the mask, but rather just pose the figure with it.

His legs couldn't really grip very well, especially onto masks. it was sold as "crush anyone who gets too close", but it felt so soft and weak that it never felt like it could crush anything. Also, it looked kinda bad if any of his feet were out of alignment.

His legs couldn't really grip very well, especially onto masks. it was sold as "crush anyone who gets too close", but it felt so soft and weak that it never felt like it could crush anything. Also, it looked kinda bad if any of his feet were out of alignment.

Never felt soft and weak to me—I love grabbing my Toa with him. And the comment about his feet getting out of alignment strikes me as funny, because, while that is a valid concern, one of the most common complaints I saw was that his legs were mostly unposable, and adding additional joints would only have compounded that problem.

Sau..ahem, source?

I hope it's not another black one, we have plenty of those already. But a cape that works with the gearbox build would be excellent no matter the colour.

Edited by Shakar

Umarak has a new style of cape.

He owns the catalog. He's been posting info for other themes. :classic:

Tell us all the things

Kidding, of course. It's not only interesting that Umarak has a cape, but it's cool. I'm looking forward to him a lot, hoping he doesn't disappoint.

Is Umarak a villain? Are the Creatures villains?

What kinds of changes have they given the Toa?

What kind of new molds are we getting? New Mask shapes?

What are the color schemes?

Am I asking too many questions? :P

Are the creatures all the same kind of build?

Do they feature clearly non-standard torso constructions (i.e. using technic and similar such parts to make a more unique structure)?

What sort of action features do they have?

Is Umarak's mask spiky or sleek or both?

He owns the catalog. He's been posting info for other themes. :classic:

Cool, can you give us a short description of the appearance of other sets and their colour please.

These are the only things I'm to say about the sets:

1. Creatures have unique builds.
  2. New brain color.
  3. Toa have new masks, evolutions of the old ones.
  4. No new feet.
  5. New chest piece and under-armor.
  6. Less trans-parts then 2015.
  7. Umarak is sleek and bulky.
  8. Each set comes with a special item.

These are the only things I'm to say about the sets:

1. Creatures have unique builds.
  2. New brain color.
  3. Toa have new masks, evolutions of the old ones.
  4. No new feet.
  5. New chest piece and under-armor.
  6. Less trans-parts then 2015.
  7. Umarak is sleek and bulky.
  8. Each set comes with a special item.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Ok

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. Yes

8. Yes

To add a more constructive comment, as impressed as I was by this year's winter wave (the best constraction release TLG has ever done IMO, and thereby the best BIONICLE figures), it sounds like these guys are going to blow them away. Very, very excited. If anyone can find the hype train from last year that we lost because it was moving too fast, I'll gladly board again.