Hobo Fett

[MOC] Episode V Custom Millennium Falcon

It took 3 years to build from scratch from around 9,000 pieces, measures 32" x 22" x 10", and weighs 25 lbs. There is a fully lit original trilogy interior with smuggling hatches, gun ports and connecting ladder, main hold machinery bays, and double pivot boarding ramp(solves the exterior/interior discrepancy). Exterior features include a technic gear driven four-point top hatch, finger triggered drop down surface blaster, LED lit sublight engines with switch and dimmer hidden in side greeblies, landing gear, and various removable panels and doors for interior access. I initially tried to build it using the pieces(some from the 70s) I had on hand, and even took apart my AT-ST and snowspeeder(still looking for the photos) for parts. I have had some good garage sale/flea market scores, and the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse often gets huge Lego donations they sell by the pound dirt cheap, but I eventually succumbed to Bricklink to really get things right. I probably spent $1000 with them, and $500 at other random places. Check out my youtube video at:

and my flickr albums at: https://www.flickr.c...157667807393115

post-160844-0-78024200-1464115964_thumb.jpg

Just watched the video. The details are amazing! Love the surface blaster.

The hatch with the diafragma closing, how did you build that one?

Just watched the video. The details are amazing! Love the surface blaster.

The hatch with the diafragma closing, how did you build that one?

I used a large gear under the floor level with 4 small ones around it forming a square. The small gears each have an axle running up to just under the 'roof', where a 1 x 2 liftarm holds a medeval shield(the only pieces I modified, buffing off the coat of arms). When the large gear is turned using the wheel on the exterior underside, all 4 axles and shields turn the same direction, opening or closing the hatch.

This is just mind-blowing! The exterior is just amazing, then we go inside and the interior is practically like a movie set! Absolutely outstanding.

This model is just unbelievable and insane! I have been staring at the photos with my mouth open. The shaping is wonderful, but it is the detailing that takes this to another level. Everything on there down to the tiniest detail is accurate to the model. I have seen a lot of Lego Millennium Falcons over the years but you have pushed the boundaries out on what is possible.

That's amazing! The way you've replicated every inch if the Falcon in Lego is phenomenal :thumbup:

I'm a huge fan of the Millennium Falcon, so I'm super-excited to see such a wonderful version of this ship on the forum. I especially like:

The interior.

I really enjoyed the shots of the interior in the video, but they were a bit low-res and blurry. I appreciate that this might mean disassembling part of the model, but it'd be really great to see the entire interior layout. That aside: of the bits I can see, I especially like the pipes around the door of the hold. I also really like the detailing on the lounge seating - you've captured the look of the padding perfectly using a very unlikely piece.

The cockpit and corridor (exterior).

I love the comparison shot between the Kenner toy piece and your cockpit: you've clearly given a lot of thought to the shape of the cockpit, and it shows - you've captured it perfectly. The use of smooth curved pieces is excellent. There is one detail I especially liked: the triangular pieces on the inside of the elbow which fill those irritating little gaps.

The landing gear.

This is a really tricky area to get right. Nice piece usage all around, from the use of technic disks for the collars (just the right size) to the use of old space handles on the "toe".

The rest of the model is also awesome, but these are the things which leap out at me. I can appreciate the amount of time and effort you put into getting this right: it shows that you've been building it for three years. You've found innovative ways of building lots of details, not taking one piece from the UCS Falcon as far as I can see.

I could nit-pick over certain areas (size of individual elements in proportion to the rest of the ship, the amount of curvature on the upper hull) but I can't fault the overall effect: it's an excellent model and I'll be studying it closely for some time to come.

I'm a huge fan of the Millennium Falcon, so I'm super-excited to see such a wonderful version of this ship on the forum. I especially like:

The interior.

I really enjoyed the shots of the interior in the video, but they were a bit low-res and blurry. I appreciate that this might mean disassembling part of the model, but it'd be really great to see the entire interior layout. That aside: of the bits I can see, I especially like the pipes around the door of the hold. I also really like the detailing on the lounge seating - you've captured the look of the padding perfectly using a very unlikely piece.

The cockpit and corridor (exterior).

I love the comparison shot between the Kenner toy piece and your cockpit: you've clearly given a lot of thought to the shape of the cockpit, and it shows - you've captured it perfectly. The use of smooth curved pieces is excellent. There is one detail I especially liked: the triangular pieces on the inside of the elbow which fill those irritating little gaps.

The landing gear.

This is a really tricky area to get right. Nice piece usage all around, from the use of technic disks for the collars (just the right size) to the use of old space handles on the "toe".

The rest of the model is also awesome, but these are the things which leap out at me. I can appreciate the amount of time and effort you put into getting this right: it shows that you've been building it for three years. You've found innovative ways of building lots of details, not taking one piece from the UCS Falcon as far as I can see.

I could nit-pick over certain areas (size of individual elements in proportion to the rest of the ship, the amount of curvature on the upper hull) but I can't fault the overall effect: it's an excellent model and I'll be studying it closely for some time to come.

Yeah, the cockpit is a little too big, the exhaust vents too small, and maybe too thick overall- I figured I had a little leeway since the numerous models and sets built for the movies(including CG) had slightly different proportions, and by the time I noticed it was a little late anyway. I didn't have any real plan, working out the toughest details(cockpit, docking rings, and exhaust vents) first, incorporating them as I built. It seemed that most Lego falcons were lacking in these areas, and I wasn't going to bother with the rest of the ship if I couldn't get them right. I also thought the UCS and other MOC falcons looked kinda flat, which is why I articulated the saucer portions of the hull, giving it a more curved look. I had to shoot some interior shots with an endoscope(lower res), as the weight of the ship as I was building made it seem necessary to span certain sections with support beams, making interior access more difficult. In hindsight, I'm almost glad it worked out that way, forcing the viewer to see some of the interior from 'eye level' only(rationalization). The exterior usually trumped the interior, but I had to compromise here and there. The whole thing is overbuilt, due to me not knowing how much she would finally weigh or hold together when picked up, and I didn't want any creaking or separating.

Oh my god, that's a fantastic piece of Lego art you have there! Great build! I love all the details in the interior. I think this is in a class of its own! Great job! Will you be building an Ep VII radar dish as well for her?

Oh my god, that's a fantastic piece of Lego art you have there! Great build! I love all the details in the interior. I think this is in a class of its own! Great job! Will you be building an Ep VII radar dish as well for her?

Thank you very much, and while I'm not specifically opposed to Ep.VII, my Star Wars fanaticism is limited to the original trilogy(for now).

Wow! Wow! That is excellent! One of THE best Millennium Falcon models I have ever seen! The mix of LBGs and LGs as well as other yellowing pieces is brilliant at bringing the junkiness of the ship to life.

Wow! Wow! That is excellent! One of THE best Millennium Falcon models I have ever seen! The mix of LBGs and LGs as well as other yellowing pieces is brilliant at bringing the junkiness of the ship to life.

Thank you! I think some of the 8 x 4 wedge plates are from the Galaxy Explorer I got when I was 6(1979).

Words cannot even begin to describe the awesomeness of this build.

Gonna spend quite a bit of my time at work to slowly pour through the video/photos of your work! Lovely!

This model is just unbelievable and insane! I have been staring at the photos with my mouth open. The shaping is wonderful, but it is the detailing that takes this to another level. Everything on there down to the tiniest detail is accurate to the model. I have seen a lot of Lego Millennium Falcons over the years but you have pushed the boundaries out on what is possible.

Much appreciated- I used as many photos of actual ILM models as possible for exterior reference, and did a lot of pausing the movies for the interior. btw nice cantina!

The greebling is wonderful. The interior freaking amazing.

Now you just need Chewy to work on your camera for you so it rivals the model ;)