Keep in mind that the electrical parts on this model are really cool.  I was also initially thinking about building it without them, but the headlights turn with the steering and the effect is fun to watch.  You'd probably miss it without the LEDs.

Hi Blakbird, yes I am aware of that and will probably have to throw my principles aside. I still find it hard to understand why these electrical parts are so relatively expensive. For example the part 87513c01 is not much more than a 9V battery, right ? BTW: is it just a LEGO box with a standard 9V battery inside and can the battery be exchanged when it's empty ?

(Putting it in perspective relative to the cost of a real Aston Martin DB11 this is of course a non-issue... :wink:)

Just now, brickhank said:

Hi Blakbird, yes I am aware of that and will probably have to throw my principles aside. I still find it hard to understand why these electrical parts are so relatively expensive. For example the part 87513c01 is not much more than a 9V battery, right ? BTW: is it just a LEGO box with a standard 9V battery inside and can the battery be exchanged when it's empty ?

(Putting it in perspective relative to the cost of a real Aston Martin DB11 this is of course a non-issue... :wink:)

That battery box doesn't have a battery. You have to put 6 of your own AAA batteries in there.

This one comes with a built-in rechargeable battery (that can't be replaced), but it's more expensive and you have to buy the charger separately.
Although, I got mine for like €20 when there was a price error at Lego and I got a cheap charger from China.

But, the DB11 is designed for the non-rechargeable version.

So if I would put 6 re-chargeable AAA batteries inside the box, I would have a re-chargeable power-box, right ? Which brings me to the following question: is the box easily accessible in the completed model to exchange batteries ?

1 minute ago, brickhank said:

So if I would put 6 re-chargeable AAA batteries inside the box, I would have a re-chargeable power-box, right ? Which brings me to the following question: is the box easily accessible in the completed model to exchange batteries ?

No it is not. You will have to take the dashboard out, which does require some disassembling of the model. On the other hand, the power consumption of the LED's is so low it will take a long, long time before you drain the batteries...

I can't resist anymore... :wink:

Just "pulled the trigger" on a Bricklink order for the electrical parts. Let the final instructions come... :laugh:

I originally built mine using the rechargeable battery, but once I realized it could not be easily removed I changed to the recommended 6AAA battery box which is the same size.  Given the very low power consumption of the LEDs, the batteries should last almost forever so you don't need to worry much about replacing them.

I also ordered the 6AAA battery box from Jeroen's part list. I am not planning to put it on continuous display with lights turned on, so I should be fine. And hey, in case the batteries would need replacement sometime it's a good excuse to work on the model again... :wink:

16 hours ago, brickhank said:

I can't resist anymore... :wink:

Just "pulled the trigger" on a Bricklink order for the electrical parts. Let the final instructions come... :laugh:

If memory serves me right PF lights were always cheaper from the Lego site itself (8 euro a piece vs 10 or even 15 a pop on BL). 

I was wondering @Jeroen Ottens: is the bonnet intentionally left quite open in the middle part ? It seems that the bonnet is less "paneled" compared to the rest of the model. It almost seems like there's missing something...?

Edited by brickhank

Afaik it's intentional. I think it's in one of the previous pages. The curve of the 13x3 panel (the curvy Le Mans car panel) which he tried before is too curvy, which gives it a bulky look (especially with the parts attached to the panel), while the Aston Martin's bonnet is sleek. So while the centre is empty the overall lines provided by the soft axles give the proper curve.

Added bonus: leaving it open gives a nice peek at the details of the engine without opening the hood.

Edited by Appie

Yes, I saw the discussion about the 13x3 panel and I appreciate the added bonus, however it still (kind of) seems a little too open to me by looking at the pictures only. But, maybe better to wait until I have built it myself to give my judgment... :grin:

On ‎23‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 11:42 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

I'll be traveling the next two weeks, but when I am back I will upload the model to Rebrickable to make the instructions available. So that'll be in a little over two weeks from now.

@Jeroen Ottens: hope you had safe travels and find the time to make the instructions available soon. When can we expect these ? (sorry, can't wait to start... :wink:)

2 hours ago, brickhank said:

@Jeroen Ottens: hope you had safe travels and find the time to make the instructions available soon. When can we expect these ? (sorry, can't wait to start... :wink:)

Well, the wait is over. Here you can buy the instructions.

Before going into some more details, let me first thank you all for all the support, constructive criticism and positive feedback I received over the past ten (!) months. A special thanks goes to @legolijntje for making fantastic instructions, to @Blakbird and @Appie for testing them (a lot of tweaks to enhance the building experience have been incorporated into the model because of their feedback). I also want to credit @Didumos69 for his idea of the compact 90 degree limiter, I used it as one of the three different limiters used in this model.

Here is a picture of the final model:

33321468906_7dab0835e4_c.jpg

For those who haven't the whole thread (and I wouldn't blame you) here is an overview of the functions:
- Independent suspension on all wheels
- Steering with functional steeringwheel and HoG in the back
- Swiveling frontlights (right lamp turns right when steering right, left light turns left when steering left)
- LED lights front and rear (4 sets in total)
- Sequential gearbox operated with paddles next to the steering wheel and HoG in the rear. It is an 8D+N+R gearbox (ie eight speeds forward, one reverse and one neutral).
- Highly detailed V12 fake engine
- Adjustable front chairs (forward, backward and tilting backrest)
- Aerobrake in the back coupled to the gearbox
- Opening doors, bonnet and tail

33206669752_90f4231c18_c.jpg

The partslist is available here. One part is worth mentioning, namely the yellow #2 connector. This is a relatively rare part. Once the model is finished it is nearly invisible so it can easily be replaced by #2 in any other colour. However knowing that you have this part in that colour inside will add to the fun of this model.

33321468606_cc49bc444e_c.jpg

As I wrote in my first post, this will be my last supercar for the foreseeable future (allthough I won't turn down commissioned builds). It was a long, sometimes frustating, but in the end very satisfying process, but I have not much left in terms of adding new functionality to my supercar builds.

Again, thank you all for your support, that definitely helped me through some hard parts in the build.

Leg godt,

Jeroen

Hi Jeroen, thanks for the update. I might be the first to buy the instructions. In progress right now... :classic:

Update: Paypal payment completed !

Edited by brickhank

Do you have a video for the model? I am interested in seeing more pictures of the model with the doors open, hood open, etc.

Edited by Meatman

Great model, haven't commented yet as there was nothing I could add during WIP process. I like how clean the shape is.

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

One part is worth mentioning, namely the yellow #2 connector. This is a relatively rare part. Once the model is finished it is nearly invisible so it can easily be replaced by #2 in any other colour. However knowing that you have this part in that colour inside will add to the fun of this model.

What is the mystery behind this #2 connector? 

Congratulations @Jeroen Ottens with this excellent MOC :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. I may not build it, but I sure hope to see it some day!

If i'm not mistaken Jeroen uses colorcoding in his build - yellow for the shift train. I bed the yellow #2 connector is the one needed for 'one of the 3 limiters' :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

30 minutes ago, Meatman said:

I am going to guess and say that it is under the yellow liftarm in  this video?

That's were the 90 degree limiter sits, so that must be it. I wouldn't change the yellow color frivolously :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

Glad I could help Jeroen! 

I hope Jeroen doesn't mind, but since the Didumos69 already said it, it's indeed for the colour coding of the functions and it's indeed behind that yellow 3L liftarm. 

Each function has its own colour for the axles and surrounding parts, it's basically a real life Blakbird render with colour coded functions. You can look anywhere in the model and find a coloured axle or part and instantly know what it is used for. 

I love the concept of it and find it a great use of Lego's current colours of axles. 

Thanks for the clarity; this saves me a quick-scan through the full 361 pages of the instructions I just downloaded from Jeroen... :grin:

20 minutes ago, brickhank said:

Thanks for the clarity; this saves me a quick-scan through the full 361 pages of the instructions I just downloaded from Jeroen... :grin:

Please tell us about your building experience afterwards and how this compares to Crowkillers Scorpion.

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

Please tell us about your building experience afterwards and how this compares to Crowkillers Scorpion.

Hmm. Is it really necessary to start a war between builders over who designs the better models? And why choose the crowkiller model that has free instructions? Why not compare Jeroen's model to another one that is charging money for them? :sceptic: