My latest MOC is a simple one, and I think it fits this subforum best. It's a combination of several things I wanted to try for a while, but never really got around to do it. The first thing was to build something with the palm tree leaves I got at PaB a while ago, and in combination with the trans clear blue tiles, the idea of a tropical island with lush greenery found way.

25358777354_dfa39ee9d0_c.jpg

My vegetation part collection increased recently, and I tried to use as much of those parts as possible. After all, the island is rather small (as seen from the top).

25362749503_c7c93cd339_c.jpg

As the idea grew, I knew what kind of message I wanted to give with this MOC. So I made a building, or more precisely just a facade, as an entrance to the fictional fantasy world. I wanted the building not to stand out compared to the island's bright colours, hence the lack of colour and pattern.

25690933090_915b3c71d7_c.jpg

With the ends done, it was time to make the books.

25896531531_42468349ba_c.jpg

And no, you can't open the books.

25965568666_03bd8fb7d0_c.jpg

To conclude, the bookends and the books together look like this.

25358776344_abac128b8d_c.jpg

I like it! Have you tried using them as real book stands?

This really surprised me! :laugh:

I saw the first picture, and expected there to be another picture of a similar tropical island as the other bookend, but no: you went somewhere completely different with it. I was not expecting brick built books as part of the MOC, and the building facade as an entry to the fantasy land of fiction is a great idea and really does contrast, as you planned.

I really like what you've done with the Friends flowers (I'm going to file that away :wink:) and how you packed so much vegetation onto that small island, and the contrasting building facade - it's like an old, mysterious house, especially with the weeds in the front garden. The brick built books, though, are a real surprise for me. They're really nicely done with great variation between them. Thank you for sharing. :sweet:

Really nice bookends! And books! :wink:

Looking at the picture with both the bookends and the books, I was thinking maybe you could have emptied the books and add depth to your bookends, like rooms for the house, or extends the island "inside" the books. Just ideas :sweet:

Very creative and clever build.

Great Great Work !!!

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Great job!

Love this build! :wub:

Thanks.

NPU on the sun! :laugh:

Sometimes simple is the best.

I like it! Have you tried using them as real book stands?

No, not yet, but that was the initial idea to use it with real books. However, then I build some books, and totally forgot to try with real ones.

Nicely done. Any plans for a LEGO bookshelf? :classic:

Considering the lack of space in our flat, it's hard to feature yet another bookshelf. It would be a nice decoration, but would take up too much bricks and space.

This really surprised me! :laugh:

...I really like what you've done with the Friends flowers (I'm going to file that away :wink:) ... Thank you for sharing. :sweet:

Thanks, Pandora. I'm really surprised by all the feedback I got (here on EB and a local exhibition), as this was in my eyes a pretty simple and straight forward. It was mostly based on a story in my head, not so much on unusual building techniques. Those Friends flowers, for instance, are one of my favourite flower parts, and it's just so annoying not to be able to use them as real flowers, not just hair accessories.

Looking at the picture with both the bookends and the books, I was thinking maybe you could have emptied the books and add depth to your bookends, like rooms for the house, or extends the island "inside" the books. Just ideas :sweet:

That's a nice idea, and it would be interesting to try it. However, I'm always running short on time with a toddler picking through my bricks, so I don't have much patience to build something larger. Just a hint though, I am working on some plans to include furnished rooms of the house, just not related to this MOC.

Edited by Redhead1982

I have an opportunity to see this creation live. :sweet:

Lovely idea and it really looks fantastic!