PenPlays

The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

Here's a clip from the movie. http://screenrant.co...FB-P&view=lista

I'm rather suprised that we get to see footage this early on.

We're seeing it this early because it's not from the movie, which launches next year, but from "The Master: A LEGO Ninjago Short", which launches ahead of the movie "Storks" later this month.

Anyway, looks pretty amazing!

Wow, that animation is stunning. I love the lighting in these movies, they make it look 100x more fantastic.

The animation looks to be in a Kung Fu panda-ish style. Which isn't bad, I guess.

But if fights have that sort of animation, it will look very liquid. Which is very stereotypical for a ton of animated movies we see. I personally hope fights and high-action segments are animated differently.

Edited by gamejutzu

Man, that sand at the end was looking really, really good. Reminds me of the sand in Disney's short "Piper," which is a really good thing.

The younger Ninjago fandom is having a fit over this "This isn't Ninjago!" They say, but they will go see it anyway. The animation is awesome, and it really works with the architecture and scene in general.

I am surprised by the animation style they are going with. Looks really Disney/Pixar-ish

To me it looks mostly the same animation style as The LEGO Movie, just with life-size objects appearing as scenery instead of just as "relics". It still has a lot of the same sense of authenticity, though — All the plants, sand, etc. are scaled to the LEGO props and characters the same way they would be to real LEGO bricks and minifigures.

There are differences in things like lighting and atmospheric effects, but we saw plenty of that in The LEGO Movie as well.

With how great the animation looks, I don't get how anyone could think it'll be bad at this point. I mean, most of the complaints boil down to: "It's different, therefore it is bad" and "Wu's fighting a chicken". Actually, those are all the complaints I've seen.

Edited by GarmaFan

With how great the animation looks, I don't get how anyone could think it'll be bad at this point. I mean, most of the complaints boil down to: "It's different, therefore it is bad" and "Wu's fighting a chicken". Actually, those are all the complaints I've seen.

The "different, therefore bad" complaints could probably be broken down into two different groups (the people who think it should be more like The LEGO Movie and the people who think it should be more like the Ninjago TV series), and there's also a subset of people who either don't get the appeal of Ninjago or are afraid non-FOLs won't get the appeal of it.

But otherwise I agree with you, we haven't seen much to be really apprehensive about at this point. This is to be expected, because we haven't seen much at all, really (though I'm impressed that we've seen as much as we have with the movie still over a year from release).

Is it just me or does Wu have flesh tone for his legs when his hands and head are yellow?

Other then that I have to say it looks amazing and can't wait to see more.

That animation looks amazing. Yes, different from the cartoon, but so what? That's the point.

I don't know, though, why are some non-Lego elements in there, such as leafs and rocks. I can't think of one reason why would they mix two types of enviroment designs, especially since TLM was 100% Lego (excluding human parts).

That animation looks amazing. Yes, different from the cartoon, but so what? That's the point.

I don't know, though, why are some non-Lego elements in there, such as leafs and rocks. I can't think of one reason why would they mix two types of enviroment designs, especially since TLM was 100% Lego (excluding human parts).

Finn is playing with Lego in the garden and not inside the house like he did in "The Lego movie". Thats why there is grass around this time! ;-)

Finn is playing with Lego in the garden and not inside the house like he did in "The Lego movie". Thats why there is grass around this time! ;-)

Hope they exclude the fourth wall break though...

Hope they exclude the fourth wall break though...

Isn't breaking the fourth wall when the characters talk to the movie viewers, like us?

Anyway, please no humans!

But, the more realistic parts look LEGO size.

Don't know why so many people are so unreceptive to the third-act twist in The Lego Movie. It was really part of what made the movie great, adding a whole other level of metatextual and emotional depth to the movie's otherwise frenetic plot.

Mind you, I don't think every Lego movie has to have that as a central pillar to work (it could easily be saved mostly for the Lego Movie sequel and future "crossover" films). But it could easily work as a post-credits scene in the standalone movies, as both a gag (drawing back to show the events of the movie as the mere results of a child's creativity) and a way to tie the movies together (potentially even foreshadowing the events of the Lego Movie sequel as "Finn" ages and the context of his play changes).

But, the more realistic parts look LEGO size.

Not to me they don't. Particularly in this shot, the moss and plants look life-size. And even when Sensei Wu is knocked into the sand, the individual grains of sand are quite large relative to him.

What?? Where's that from?

Also, that monastery looks so cool. I get that the show's Monastery is going for a bit of simplicity, but I honestly would not complain if the show had something like this.

Edited by gamejutzu

Not to me they don't. Particularly in this shot, the moss and plants look life-size. And even when Sensei Wu is knocked into the sand, the individual grains of sand are quite large relative to him.

Oh, huh. Actually, yeah, most of the plants do look like they're life-size compared to Wu.

What?? Where's that from?

Also, that monastery looks so cool. I get that the show's Monastery is going for a bit of simplicity, but I honestly would not complain if the show had something like this.

It was one of the images in the slide show from the USA Today article where this sneak peek was revealed.

It was one of the images in the slide show from the USA Today article where this sneak peek was revealed.

So it's just a picture shown specifically for the article?