kresty

I've Lost My Mind - Lego Artoo on Ideas

You can tell by the "lower" Lego Ideas project # that I've been thinking about this for some time: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/63523 --

Anyway, people keep asking for instructions. I realize it's a longshot, but the "easiest" way for instructions to happen would be for it to be a real set, so here goes nothing...

23984673774_6201b357bf.jpg

Note that this stands about zero chance as a "normal" set (obviously). We'd somehow have to convince Lego that there's enough interested people that there could at least be a limited run of 500 or 1000 "Special Limited Collector's Edition" sets made - which means that the price would have to necessarily inflated even more! So think well above 10 cents a brick.

Clearly there's a market for collectors to pay thousands of $ for a model they like. The UCS Falcon is reselling for $3500 - I've seen one sold even! Aiii! Other non-Lego movie collectables and art sell for thousands as well. So: There's a market, but it's not the normal Lego market. Clearly most retailers are unlikely to be able to stock and sell a set this large, so it would have to be a special collector's market. Speciality shops can probably sell them, but that all adds to the overhead.

Additional, a "small" run means that the per-unit production costs go up. So instead of expecting this model to sell for $2000 or so, we need to show Lego that people are willing to pay twice that. I'll make suggestions as an update, but the comments of the supporters will need to help demonstrate that there does exist such a specialty market.

Even so, Lego is going to be hard pressed to do this. That specialty market may exist, but it's not Lego's forte. They may need to contract with others as they do for some of their smaller special runs and non-Lego merchandise. Even so, this isn't as big of a return as tens of thousands of a cheaper set, so they might not feel it's worth their time.

You've basically given TLG all the arguments NOT to do it. What are the arguments for doing it?

Incidentally, while it seems like a fantastic achievement, I don't see this baby standing in my living room. And I like to think I am crazy enough to spend 1000s on LEGO.

This is absolutely crazy cool, but I just can't see this having even a slim chance of being made by LEGO. We're talking thousands of dollars more than their largest retail set. Even for a guy like me who picks up sets all the time, especially the larger sets, and who loves Star Wars, I don't think I could justify picking this up. However, I really do wish you all the best.

It's nice but even though you're right that there is a market for expensive collectibles (I own a 6000eur lifesize T-800 myself, & SideShow has released a 5000eur R2D2), I'm afraid there is less than zero chance that Lego would ever do this.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not exactly a SW fan enough for that.

Edited by anothergol

Supporting it and I hope another 10K will do. This is crazy and every reasonable thought tells that there is zero chance for lego ever taking at least the consideration about this, yet supporting this doesn't really cost anything so why don't at least try and see :) Some crazy groundbreaking ideas in the history were considered foolish either (I know that's a poor argument, just saying though).

Great model anyway. People often tend to see everything rather negatively as it's presented as lego Ideas project rathet than just MOC... I don't know why. Regarding the MOC aspect, this is great.

Great display piece... Supported! I'd buy one or source one for myself to pimp out my star wars room...

People often tend to see everything rather negatively as it's presented as lego Ideas project rathet than just MOC... I don't know why. Regarding the MOC aspect, this is great.

Absurd sets like this have zero chance of being made through Ideas (Lego already has the property, it's size and price is ridiculous, etc), yet they get ALL the attention on the website. So any of the actually original, well thought out and reasonably sized Ideas get ignored. It's just kind of cluttering up Ideas and using it as a MOC website with a built in popularity poll.

Absurd sets like this have zero chance of being made through Ideas (Lego already has the property, it's size and price is ridiculous, etc), yet they get ALL the attention on the website. So any of the actually original, well thought out and reasonably sized Ideas get ignored. It's just kind of cluttering up Ideas and using it as a MOC website with a built in popularity poll.

Spot on to be honest.

There has already been a UCS R2D2 which is perfectly sound enough as it is. There literally is no reason to be adding this into the mix. It's a really nice MoC and all, something I'd be proud to have if it was mine, but literally pointless on Ideas.

Really, for every ultralarge MOC like this, there are 100 crap MOCs designed by 6 year old kids. Those are what's polluting Lego Ideas, not this.

I'm not voting for it because I wouldn't buy one (at that price, I'd want it fully studless and semi-motorized), but I like to see those on the website.

Honestly, I don't see into the brains and minds of all people from lego that get involved in lego ideas, at least not that well as you do. I'm 99.999% this won't turn into lego ideas set, we agree on this (although it's maybe 100% for you). Though, seing that 10k people dedicated their precious time to support something might actualy have some (no matter how little) influence on these guys. Still it very unlikely that such huge set would ever be possible, but at least it gets the popularity which it deserves. I don't think people should take all these 'wise' and 'acknowledged' presumptions regarding proposals on lego ideas. If you want to see such set being produced, maybe you should just vote and let the authorized staf to make the concerns... I don't know, being insecure in this question myself so please don't take me as the resolut one. But I lean to this oppinion. There is nowhere stated that people should consider all (economical, manufactural, logical) aspects into account when voting. It should be just about things you like. Big proposals might not be selected as next Ideas Set but can very well inspire lego designers to make their own version, which I consider win for customers as well. And even if not that, such proposal may get popular within 'hardcore' fans and such end customers may eventually contact the designer and make some arrangement regarding instructions... the thing is, I don't know what could happen. But to select negative approach, just beacuse I think I know everything about lego strategies and plans, that seems wrong to me.

I'm not trying to be negative, and I do think it is super cool to see sets like this exist, whether an official set or just a MOC. But there is certainly a point in being realistic, too.

And don't get me started on the million 'two figs and a baseplate my 2year old made' Ideas :P

Edited by geezerman402

From the Site Guidelines:

LEGO Ideas: If you have a great MOC, that is also a LEGO Ideas project, you may present it on EB as you would any MOC, with a single link to the Ideas entry. Make the title about the MOC, not the Ideas business; don't be too shouty, and it is likely to be tolerated. You need to be thinking: 'I want people on EB to see my MOC and comment on it. If they like it, perhaps they'll support it on LEGO Ideas', rather than: 'I want Ideas support! If I post it on EB, perhaps more people will vote!.

I've removed the second link from your post.

For this topic to remain open and the link intact, it's going to need to be more about your creation than your Ideas campaign. Please adjust accordingly or it will be locked and the link removed. For a further refresher on the Site Guidelines, please refer to my signature or the Site Guidelines link in the upper right hand corner, underneath the banner, on every page of this site.

Thank you.

its just a poor candidate for ideas. When the At-AT did not garner the support of TLG it was a signal that they would likely never consider such a massive set.

This is an amazing MOC...