Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL - FB] Grist Mill in Nova Terreli

As you approach Nova Terreli after the long voyage across the Terraversa Sea, one of the signature landmarks on the horizon is this grist mill. Sitting on a short bluff that overlooks the harbor, the blades of the windmill rotate slowly in the wind.

front.jpg

While the slow, steady spin might be described as gentle or lazy, it is in fact a powerful force. Farmers bring their wheat and oats to the grist mill to be ground into flour. The millstones are housed in the upper part of the structure -- a post mill that can be rotated to face into the wind. Below is the roundhouse, built around the supporting trestles to create a covered storage area.

lf_fr_top_lr_bot.jpg

lr_top_rear_bot.jpg

rf_top_rr_bot.jpg

rr_top_rt_side_bottom.jpg

I’d been playing around with ways to build the roundhouse for a post mill for awhile and finally hit upon a roof design that worked. Ultimately I want to build a version that has a viewable interior with millstones, but this will have to do for now if I’m to get the mill licensed this month.

I've been trying to build a descent windmill for quite a while and it has always failed so far! So I really appreciate this moc and it's beauty. Maybe you could structure the brown a little more so it resemples single boards a little better!

Nice build! I espevially like the underside, the Mill itself seems a bit too flat

nice looking windmill, I'm not really familiar with this type, but it looks genuine.

I think this mill looks really authentic, and I like the roundhouse and the fact that it can turn. The colours are nice too, and I like how you have used different browns for texture. pirate_classic.gif

The miller has to be pretty good a parkour though - to jump up to the latter and in through the window! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Lovely build! I love the roof and lowered door! In my opinion, I think the position of ladders/blades would look better is swapped but it makes little difference to the quality of the build. Very nice.

I've been trying to build a descent windmill for quite a while and it has always failed so far! So I really appreciate this moc and it's beauty. Maybe you could structure the brown a little more so it resemples single boards a little better!

Thanks! And I agree, I'd like to have done a little more with the texture of the brown section, but I was limited by my available pieces.

I think this mill looks really authentic, and I like the roundhouse and the fact that it can turn. The colours are nice too, and I like how you have used different browns for texture. pirate_classic.gif

The miller has to be pretty good a parkour though - to jump up to the latter and in through the window! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Thanks for the kind words. Making sure it could turn was an essential part of the puzzle for me. And you're right about the miller! pir_laugh2.gif I made some sacrifices to make this fit in 16 x 16. Looking at it now, I see I could have extended the ladder and not had too much overhang. The top part is more of a minifig illusion scale. I tried a properly sized door instead of the window and it made the whole thing look cartoonish. The whole thing should probably be 25-50% bigger to really fit a minifig. I think if I build a larger one in the future, I can address all of these problems.

Nice windmill! The roundhouse is the best part of this in my opinion :classic:

That's a pretty good windmill, and I like these domestic settings a lot. The structure looks great, especially the roundhouse. The top roof would look better with some texture - a few scattered tiles and/or plates would help - and the blades might benefit from a little dressing up although it would make them bulkier. The fact that it turns is nice, and the standard staircase piece looks surprisingly good - it just needs an addition, maybe turned 90 degrees to slide along the lower building intead of sticking out that much more.

I've been inside a few historic mills and even witnessed one operating but they were all water-powered, so these windmills alway get my attention. Good work overall.