atlas

[MOC] RZ-1 A-wing interceptor (updated)

Okay so originally when I started building this almost a year ago, I was just following krispys LDD to the letter. Eventually it stalled and sat collecting dust for about 10 months. Then about a month ago I picked it up again and began revising it. After a few days the only bits that still matched krispy's model were the two white side wedge modules. I didn't like the anti-studs on the bottom, so I basically gutted what I had built and started a SNOT structure with two 1x10 plates stacked on top of each other and attached at either end to each module. From there the "bottom" assembly, which you can see is basically what everything attaches to in the photos above, grew out from that little beam connecting each wedge. This structural overhaul allowed me to have studs up on the top and bottom of the model.

Fantastic -- and so many pictures to help guide us along. Once I finish my current project, I'd like to build a few A-wings in different colors using this design.

One thought: Not sure if it's been covered already, but there now are inverted white 2x2 tiles (as well as inverted 2x2 tan tiles) available. Did you try to use those on the inside of the fins, at all? When Jerac made his version, I don't think those pieces existed, and the inverted round tiles always looked a little out of place, to me.

Thanks. The use of the inverted pieces was mainly done to slim it down as much as possible to create the illusion of 1 plate thickness. Originally as you can see in the first wip pics I had used Jeracs initial design but that was before I began to make this my own in areas. They are a bit unsightly from some angles but I think it's worth it

It would likely look too bulky with the inverted tile, your solution is more elegant even if the color doesn't match.

hi everyone, so of course with lego you're never finished but I decided it was time to show the udpated of version of this that I've been working on for the past little while. I changed the livery and made some other changes to the model but nothing major. I added some comments on the photos which go into more detail and so on and have a look if you like

here's the full photo album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48109771@N05/albums/72157674710693742

Green Leader standing by

RZ-1 A-wing interceptor (v2)

Edited by atlas

Wow this is an absolute work of art, you really have done this fantastic ship justice.  The scale even looks bang on. 

wow thank you. I haven't measured it properly so im sure that there are little problems (pretty sure that the cockpit is too small) but like I said I'm happy with it!

Awesome update, you did a great job capturing the angles. Maybe a little better paintjob on customised parts and swapping transparent bottom plates to white will do the justice, otherwise it's perfect!:wub:

Thank you very much. I agree, my painting is a bit lousy in places but that's what happens when you rush a job . I'm ok with it though, it's not horrendous. About the boat studs, I chose trans to give the partial impression that each wing is only 1 plate thick, and also to have the colour of the 3x2 wedge plate show through on both sides. If some of them were transparent and some solid white I think that would bug me, so it's just s matter of my preference I guess.