lluisgib

OFFICIAL REPORT TRAINS 9V

So somebody actually cracked it, eh?

Does it still have its major flaw, or has the switching mechanisms been improved?

So somebody actually cracked it, eh?

Does it still have its major flaw, or has the switching mechanisms been improved?

If someone sold modified versions of this for 9v tracks I'd buy a couple. Are my eyes decieving me or is that simply aluminium foil glued to the tracks in which case I doubt it would work without a connecting wire between each small section of track. I'm no expert though.

David

If someone sold modified versions of this for 9v tracks I'd buy a couple. Are my eyes decieving me or is that simply aluminium foil glued to the tracks in which case I doubt it would work without a connecting wire between each small section of track. I'm no expert though.

David

He posted this to Lugnet. It's a special type of tin-plated copper tape used for specialized functions. It's apparently very pliable, very thin, but also very sharp. His main concerns are how long the tin-plating will remain on the rails during use and how long the adhesive will keep it attached to the track. Fortunately some of the problems that might arise from the adhesive giving out could be fixed by wrapping the tape around the rails where there are holes under them, just like was done with the 9v rails.

Unforutnately it doesn't seem that this tape isn't readily available to the public.

--Tony

Seems somebody was upset and set LEGOLAND Windsor on fire...

It wasn't evacuated when I was there on monday, but then it was miserable & raining.

There were not many people there & we left by 1:30pm to be back to collect older kids from school

It wasn't me Honest

However, you can't run a 9v train on the new tracks...and they have said they wouldn't produce the 9v train tracks anymore making the new track incompatible with an existing 9v layout.

Not quite true.

You can drive the old 9V motors via the power takeoff that is used to power lamps.

People do this with their RCX's. You would however need an rc 'battery pack' or come to that an old 9V techinc battery pack will do the job if you don't mind on/off switch on the top of the train & being limited to stop & go.

I switched the old/new 9v motors to test it on my son's rc cargo train

The account says that Lego collaborates with AFOLs - but how much they collaborate with them and how much the position of the AFOLs count isn't said.

That is the million dollar question, my friend. I'm really curious to know what the answer is. The impression is that it goes like this:

Lego: Do you guys like the 9v trains?

AFOL: Yes, we love 9v trains!

Lego: Oh. Well, we're cancelling them.

Lego press release: "After consuling with AFOLs, Lego has decided to cancel 9v trains."

Like many, I'm sad to see 9v go. The beauty of the 9v system was the total compatability between all it's components. You could use the light and sound bricks found in the smaller town sets on your trains. The ultra small 9v battery box (only 8x4 studs) shaped like a lego brick could easily be hidden in very small models. You could swap stuff around too, the battery box could power the train motor and the train transformer could run the lights in a building.

However, I'm quite looking forward to see what Lego do with Power Functions trains. I can understand that they don't want to produce the expensive metal track any more, the plastic track must be much cheaper to produce.

One thing I would really like to know is, since the Power Functions system is also 9v (6x 1.5v batteries in the battery box = 9v) why have they felt the need to change the connectors? The new Power Functions shape battery box is still available with the old 9v connnector on top in 8287 Motor Box and 4895 Motion Power. Why not keep the old connectors and make it truely backwards compatible?

Whilst reading PaulC's ost I just thought of something, why can't LEGO make a special wheel piece for the new trains that can draw power from the rails. Just metal wheels with a power connector on top. This would keep all the 9v fans happy, because they wouldn't need to buy billions of stupid batteries an d this would make Duracell happy because the regular kids would still need to buy their enviroment killing products.

Another point: Dudes, face it. Model trains for kids is sooooo pass

Interesting. When does Lego sells throughout the year? Do any specific Lego lines sell better during any part of the year?

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls,

Please take heart and stop this very unnecessary vision of doom and gloom. Lego trains are not going away. They are simply moving to the next stage of development.

I have read many comments from many different writers, and most paint a very bad vision of the future. Why? These Lego trains are, after all, toys. But to many of you, as to myself, they have become more than just

As a possible sneak peek, BUCHI on Brickshelf has done an excellent job in using the existing PF parts for a train.

001.jpg

009.jpg

013.jpg

Smartly done! *wub* More photos are here.

I've seen it as well, do you guys think that lego will do this at well, or will they make some special mold?

I think that they will make a new IR sensor and remote as you can't have one speed trains. I'd say that they would also make a new sensor mold that would be easier to integrate; perhaps 6x2 with the switch and power connectors in the middle? But I think BUCHI has proved that it isn't that hard to do as is. His motor solution is especially elegant.

Aaand hopefully a more powerful engine. thaqt's my only fear regarding the RC trains as i have no prior knowledge about the 9v ones in the regard of personal experience.

Aaand hopefully a more powerful engine. thaqt's my only fear regarding the RC trains as i have no prior knowledge about the 9v ones in the regard of personal experience.

The PF motors are quite powerful actually. If they use any of the current ones I will be happy.

I only have 9V trains, so I would rather expand my existing train collection as opposed to having two separate train collections. |-/ Oh well, I presume that the RC trains are just as good.

I wish someone at lego will wake up and smell the coffee. I.E. to sell something the stock needs to be in the store. I have talked to many retailers in my area and the first thing they say about trains is the reps will not bring them into Australia.

I wish someone at lego will wake up and smell the coffee. I.E. to sell something the stock needs to be in the store. I have talked to many retailers in my area and the first thing they say about trains is the reps will not bring them into Australia.

I bought my passenger train in Toyworld but I needed to buy the cargo train from S@H.

I only have 9V trains, so I would rather expand my existing train collection as opposed to having two separate train collections.

Where do you get the idea that the two systems are "separate"?

The IR trains run on plastic OR 9V track. All rolling stock is identical. The only practical difference is in the drive motor. You can buy all the new engines you want and run them on existing 9V track if you like. The only limit is that 9V motors will not work on plastic track so two separate loops of track might be useful at a big show.

PS. To Lego decision makers: Shame on you! Another blow to AFOL, and there's a lot of 9V train enthusiasts across the World. Next, you'll be building your sets in China to save more $$$. Bad! >:-(

Some of the Lego is already being made in China. :-X :-X :-X