BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

45 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

I can't really see how castle being dead could ever be a good thing and how it would relate to exploring any kind of history.

If Castle is dead, then other historical themes are more likely (even if still unlikely). Would we get Chinese or Persian or Ancient Egyptian or Ancient Greeks or Romans or European Renaissance or Mesoamerican, or even a return of Vikings, if Castle was on the shelves?

51 minutes ago, valon said:

Deus vult !!!!!

Those figures that got labelled as Crusaders in some territories didn't get to fight to free the Holy Land though, didn't they just fight the Forestmen.

28 minutes ago, valon said:

the top ones are not mine, but i have some templar knights !!!! ( very few arabs though )

In order to avoid any tensions with the muslim community I doubt lego would ever bring out a set featuring a conflict between the orient and the occident. 

24 minutes ago, MAB said:

If Castle is dead, then other historical themes are more likely (even if still unlikely). Would we get Chinese or Persian or Ancient Egyptian or Ancient Greeks or Romans or European Renaissance or Mesoamerican, or even a return of Vikings, if Castle was on the shelves?

Those figures that got labelled as Crusaders in some territories didn't get to fight to free the Holy Land though, didn't they just fight the Forestmen.

UNLIKELY probably is the word that describes it best imo.

The only thing thats happening atm is the competition is releasing one big "historic" set after another to fill the void lego has created. Just recently I saw a presentation of bluebrixx bringing out several big western sets. Actually I am glad, my wallet will not complain as I probably would have bought them all (if it was lego).

24 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

In order to avoid any tensions with the muslim community I doubt lego would ever bring out a set featuring a conflict between the orient and the occident. 

that makes sense, i would not want them to offend muslims either, islam is a interesting relgion and i find the arabs cool to, i jusy have more crusaders because i like the minifigures better

26 minutes ago, MAB said:

i like castle and hope they build it. A other historical theme would be cool, maybe a Arab one if they were fighting other Arabs, or maybe arab pirates

1 minute ago, valon said:

i like castle and hope they build it. A other historical theme would be cool, maybe a Arab one if they were fighting other Arabs, or maybe arab pirates

Arabian knights. Ali Baba and his 40 henchman.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

If Castle is dead, then other historical themes are more likely (even if still unlikely). Would we get Chinese or Persian or Ancient Egyptian or Ancient Greeks or Romans or European Renaissance or Mesoamerican, or even a return of Vikings, if Castle was on the shelves

There is no way LEGO is gonna do any of those as fully fledged themes. Because let's face it, kids are most likely not gonna be interested in those kinds of historical themes. You can get away with Castle, Pirates or Western because those are genres are more sterotypical rather than based on actual history, but Ancient Greek, Roman or Egyptian? The only way to get that sort of stuff in LEGO is only through the CMFs, sadly. 

Edited by Lego David

1 hour ago, MAB said:

If Castle is dead, then other historical themes are more likely (even if still unlikely). Would we get Chinese or Persian or Ancient Egyptian or Ancient Greeks or Romans or European Renaissance or Mesoamerican, or even a return of Vikings, if Castle was on the shelves

Viking and Castle coexisted the first time, so there's no reason they couldn't again. 

2 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Ancient Greek, Roman or Egyptian? 

Maybe not so much Greek, but kids absolutely love Roman and Egyptian stuff. In the UK at least, they are historical curriculum subjects in Year 2 and Year 4 respectively (or at least when I was at school, and I don't think much has changed since then). That's kids aged six to nine getting excited about Romans and Egyptians - you bet your life they'll want the bricks too.

40 minutes ago, Lego David said:

You can get away with Castle, Pirates or Western because those are genres are more sterotypical rather than based on actual history, but Ancient Greek, Roman or Egyptian? The only way to get that sort of stuff in LEGO is only through the CMFs, sadly. 

I'm not sure what your point is here - why can you get away with some as they are stereotypical and not based on history. But then get away with all in the CMF?

LEGO could make other historical eras if they wanted to, that they don't is probably lack of perceived demand (and that may be a true lack of demand). Playmobil do Ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian. And LEGO has done Egyptian before. And they need not be an entire theme individually. For example, if they did a historical (as opposed to Castle) theme, then they could do a number of different eras within one theme. A company called Worlds Apart teamed up with Horrible Histories in the UK, and made a nice set of historical figures back in about 2012/13 that was linked to a game (they were British, so they focused more on British history). If a more popular global history franchise ever came along and LEGO paired with them (like they did with National Geographic while back) then there may be some influence on sets. It is all highly unlikely anyway of course, as LEGO tend to focus more on modern action than historical these days (as seen in Ninjago and Monkie Kid, taking old ideas and making them up-to-date).

1 hour ago, Shroffy123 said:

When do you think TLG will release images of the creator set?

I'm guessing that images will be leaked in early April.

Edited by caiman0637
Typo

1 hour ago, MAB said:

If a more popular global history franchise ever came along

I'd just like to highlight this little part of your comment to say that I would love it if some globally-influential powerhouse concerned with world history were to emerge. IMO history is the most fascinating subject, so the more resources get put towards it the better.

I do think that one difficulty certain periods in history would pose (and by 'certain periods' I mean basically everything that's not medieval or age of sail or Roman or Ancient Egyptian) is the lack of an agreed-upon cultural mythos, at least in the western market. Roman and Egyptian themes could be done as easily as Castle or Pirates, because as periods of history they have a lore which - while not strictly historical - is instantly recognisable. There are tropes you can do that will make those periods evident even without the underlying history being spot on. Minifigures with togas and laurel wreathes, with gladiators and chariots, are going to be obviously Roman - Lego don't have to go into the gritty gory bits, nor do they have to make up their own tropes. Equally, Ancient Egypt has pyramids, hieroglyphics and the aesthetic of their gods. Lego could do a theme with these aspects and not touch on the ins and outs of mummification. They can make their own child-friendly pseudo-history from the cultural imprints.

Compare that with something like 12th century Ethiopia (random example off the top of my head). It doesn't have the same pre-determined tropes, so Lego have a choice. Either they make sets as historical as possible, covering every detail with as much accuracy as the blocks allow, or they pick and choose. And whatever they do, the fact is that many periods are many times more interesting than they are widely known.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

I'm not sure what your point is here - why can you get away with some as they are stereotypical and not based on history. But then get away with all in the CMF?

LEGO could make other historical eras if they wanted to, that they don't is probably lack of perceived demand (and that may be a true lack of demand). Playmobil do Ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian. And LEGO has done Egyptian before. And they need not be an entire theme individually. For example, if they did a historical (as opposed to Castle) theme, then they could do a number of different eras within one theme. A company called Worlds Apart teamed up with Horrible Histories in the UK, and made a nice set of historical figures back in about 2012/13 that was linked to a game (they were British, so they focused more on British history). If a more popular global history franchise ever came along and LEGO paired with them (like they did with National Geographic while back) then there may be some influence on sets. It is all highly unlikely anyway of course, as LEGO tend to focus more on modern action than historical these days (as seen in Ninjago and Monkie Kid, taking old ideas and making them up-to-date).

Imo pirates, castle and western are themes which kids (at least when I was young) had been exposed the most to. Who didn't have a friendly skirmish with wooden swords? or played pirates or cowboys. Other genres are much more difficult to get into (playwise), I mean, how are you gonna play romans or egyptians as a kid? those genres are as relatable as cops and robbers. Whereas it might be a little bit more difficult for kids to play romans or egyptians and lego had probably taken that into account when deciding to design the original sets. I am not too familiar with playmobil but the reason why they might have chosen those themes because lego didnt. Not sure how playmobil compares to lego saleswise.

The stereotypical aspect is quite huge with those themes. You have the bank that gets robbed and the sheriff who will try to get the bandits behind bars. The treasure map. Robin Hood. The list of tropes could go on and on. Whereas romans and egyptians? hmmm.... and now create a whole wave that would make sense and appeal to kids.

Edited by Poco Lypso

2 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

That's not a leaked image of the 3 in 1 though is it? 

no thats the original bf set

you can check it under 6074

Edited by Poco Lypso

3 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

Whereas romans and egyptians? 

Gladiator duel, chariot race, the Forum... Plenty of options. 

3 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Gladiator duel, chariot race, the Forum... Plenty of options. 

so thats your wave?

13 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

so thats your wave?

No, just a few suggestions. If you like I can think up a full wave of sets later. 

3 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

No, just a few suggestions. If you like I can think up a full wave of sets later. 

not necessary but you can of course. my point simply was that its easier to come up with sets for castle or western whereas its more difficult for romans or egyptians. you can of course have a roman soldier army defend against a barbarian or gladiator uprising and I would absolutely love to see that. not sure if that would make a great subject for a theme that could span multiple waves. Maybe lego should get the asteriks license?

58 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

no thats the original bf set

you can check it under 6074

it is about what the set creator castle will be

43 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

Imo pirates, castle and western are themes which kids (at least when I was young) had been exposed the most to. Who didn't have a friendly skirmish with wooden swords? or played pirates or cowboys. Other genres are much more difficult to get into (playwise), I mean, how are you gonna play romans or egyptians as a kid? those genres are as relatable as cops and robbers. Whereas it might be a little bit more difficult for kids to play romans or egyptians and lego had probably taken that into account when deciding to design the original sets. I am not too familiar with playmobil but the reason why they might have chosen those themes because lego didnt. Not sure how playmobil compares to lego saleswise.

The stereotypical aspect is quite huge with those themes. You have the bank that gets robbed and the sheriff who will try to get the bandits behind bars. The treasure map. Robin Hood. The list of tropes could go on and on. Whereas romans and egyptians? hmmm.... and now create a whole wave that would make sense and appeal to kids.

I guess it depends what you learn about in school as a kid.  Here (UK) children do ancient Egypt and Romans at ages of about 6-8 so an ideal time when they are into lego. They are also slightly more grown up than Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Mike the Knight, two franchises younger kids often associate with pirates and knights and possibly the reason kids of that age still dress up as pirates and knights at parties. Whereas slightly older kids might want to leave it behind.

14 minutes ago, Poco Lypso said:

. Maybe lego should get the asteriks license?

I would hope not. There are too many odd shaped heads and body shapes to be done right, and any torsos would be cartoonish. And do kids read it these days? 

5 minutes ago, valon said:

it is about what the set creator castle will be

indeed - but the image was not a leak but from the old set

4 minutes ago, MAB said:

I guess it depends what you learn about in school as a kid.  Here (UK) children do ancient Egypt and Romans at ages of about 6-8 so an ideal time when they are into lego. They are also slightly more grown up than Jake and the Neverland Pirates and Mike the Knight, two franchises younger kids often associate with pirates and knights and possibly the reason kids of that age still dress up as pirates and knights at parties. Whereas slightly older kids might want to leave it behind.

I would hope not. There are too many odd shaped heads and body shapes to be done right, and any torsos would be cartoonish. And do kids read it these days? 

IDK - i never read them myself  but liked the movies as a kid. Guess they arent as popular anymore.

Edited by Poco Lypso

Right, just for the sake of my own entertainment really, I've knocked together a possible first wave of Roman sets - without looking up anything about Roman history, so just based on my own current understanding. I've based it on the first year of Kingdoms sets, minus polybags, battlepacks and D2C sets.

I'd set such a theme in the Punic Wars era - the Carthaginians being wiped out, them being the 'enemy' shouldn't be too controversial

Cavalry Battle (equivalent to 6918)

One Roman and one Carthaginian soldier, with their horses and accoutrements

Gladiator Duel (equivalent to 7187)

Two Gladiators, one with a net and one with a spear, with a build of part of an arena

The Liburnia (equivalent to 7188)

A small Roman warship with a couple of Roman soldiers

The Chariot Race (equivalent to 7189)

Two Roman chariots, with different colour schemes, two drivers, a pleb, a senator and the Emperor

The Forum (equivalent to 7946)

The Forum, featuring an Emperor, Senator, Praetorian Guard and a couple of Plebs

Elephant Attack (equivalent to 7947)

Hannibal of Carthage with a war elephant, a Carthaginian soldier and two Roman centurions

Villa Attack (equivalent to 7948)

A small Roman villa façade, with a civilian, a Roman soldier and a Carthaginian soldier

The Phalanx (equivalent to 7949)

A couple of Roman soldiers and their shields

The Founders (equivalent to 7950)

Romulus and Remus, with a she-wolf and a small cave build

The Senator (equivalent to 7953)

A Roman senator and some accessories

The Augur (equivalent to 7955)

An augur and some accessories

I've left out a few options - a Roman amphitheatre, a trireme, the tower of Vesta (controversial subject matter perhaps) and combined with Lego's imagination and a deep dive into history, I think there's definitely two waves' worth of sets at least. Not everything is going to be as widely known as say Gladiators, but that's the same with any theme, and the lesser-known stuff - things like Carthaginian elephants - are probably cool enough to sell on their own merit.

I'm not sure such a theme would be Castle, strictly speaking, but I'd be very interested to see what Lego could do with the period.

24 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Right, just for the sake of my own entertainment really, I've knocked together a possible first wave of Roman sets - without looking up anything about Roman history, so just based on my own current understanding. I've based it on the first year of Kingdoms sets, minus polybags, battlepacks and D2C sets.

I'd set such a theme in the Punic Wars era - the Carthaginians being wiped out, them being the 'enemy' shouldn't be too controversial

Cavalry Battle (equivalent to 6918)

One Roman and one Carthaginian soldier, with their horses and accoutrements

Gladiator Duel (equivalent to 7187)

Two Gladiators, one with a net and one with a spear, with a build of part of an arena

The Liburnia (equivalent to 7188)

A small Roman warship with a couple of Roman soldiers

The Chariot Race (equivalent to 7189)

Two Roman chariots, with different colour schemes, two drivers, a pleb, a senator and the Emperor

The Forum (equivalent to 7946)

The Forum, featuring an Emperor, Senator, Praetorian Guard and a couple of Plebs

Elephant Attack (equivalent to 7947)

Hannibal of Carthage with a war elephant, a Carthaginian soldier and two Roman centurions

Villa Attack (equivalent to 7948)

A small Roman villa façade, with a civilian, a Roman soldier and a Carthaginian soldier

The Phalanx (equivalent to 7949)

A couple of Roman soldiers and their shields

The Founders (equivalent to 7950)

Romulus and Remus, with a she-wolf and a small cave build

The Senator (equivalent to 7953)

A Roman senator and some accessories

The Augur (equivalent to 7955)

An augur and some accessories

I've left out a few options - a Roman amphitheatre, a trireme, the tower of Vesta (controversial subject matter perhaps) and combined with Lego's imagination and a deep dive into history, I think there's definitely two waves' worth of sets at least. Not everything is going to be as widely known as say Gladiators, but that's the same with any theme, and the lesser-known stuff - things like Carthaginian elephants - are probably cool enough to sell on their own merit.

I'm not sure such a theme would be Castle, strictly speaking, but I'd be very interested to see what Lego could do with the period.

I actually like it :)