BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

1 hour ago, Alexandrina said:

Even ignoring the latter-day Castle, what is it that makes Fantasy Era true Castle but not Kingdoms? 

Purely personal bias and possibly one of the reasons we have had a long break from Castle. If fans of Castle are not buying sets like Joust or MVR as they do not believe it is true Castle, then the lack of Castle is understandable.

11 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I imagine it will be like a gingerbread castle

It could have some useful parts/prints

Just based on other existing vidiyo figs, I imagine they will have some sort of music details or very bright colours. They are meant to appeal to young kids, after all.

I am confused.  Alexandrina's post was directed at AmperZand.  MAB, is it your opinion that Kingdoms wasn't castle?   

Also, who said Joust and Mill Village Raid did not sell well or more specifically that castle fans didn't buy those sets?  I don't remember those sets being on sale to try and get rid of them?

As for the candy castle...  Not really expecting anything except to possibly delay a castle theme for even longer.

7 minutes ago, DaleDVM said:

I am confused.  Alexandrina's post was directed at AmperZand.  MAB, is it your opinion that Kingdoms wasn't castle?   

No, I think they are castle. My response was that anyone that doesn't think they are true Castle has a personal bias against them.

No news on an actual theme, but some promotional images for Mythica at Legoland have surfaced on IG. It would be awesome if the designs they're using actually got made into Lego sets. Hopefully worldwide vaccine distribution gets well managed (I fully recognize the abysmal response the US has had to this pandemic), so that theme parks can see a surge in business. If that can happen, maybe we can prove to Lego that Castle can still be hugely popular on its own.

22 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

No news on an actual theme, but some promotional images for Mythica at Legoland have surfaced on IG. It would be awesome if the designs they're using actually got made into Lego sets. Hopefully worldwide vaccine distribution gets well managed (I fully recognize the abysmal response the US has had to this pandemic), so that theme parks can see a surge in business. If that can happen, maybe we can prove to Lego that Castle can still be hugely popular on its own.

that looks so so so so EPIC, i hope it is a fantasy castle theme

1 hour ago, gedren_y said:

No news on an actual theme, but some promotional images for Mythica at Legoland have surfaced on IG.

Fingers crossed that's a portent of things to come and we have a cool Castle theme on the way. 

7 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

Fingers crossed that's a portent of things to come and we have a cool Castle theme on the way. 

if it is a castle theme with knights riding on flying lions that would be so epic

It doesn't look very Castle like, with no knights. If the land is about the mythical creatures, why have armoured humans with swords there unless it is to kill them? Plus the mythology seems to be far wider and earlier than European medieval. Plus don't they already have a Castle area?

4 hours ago, MAB said:

It doesn't look very Castle like, with no knights. If the land is about the mythical creatures, why have armoured humans with swords there unless it is to kill them? Plus the mythology seems to be far wider and earlier than European medieval. Plus don't they already have a Castle area?

No offense, but there's something a little weird to me about the assumption that the knights and the wildlife couldn't have any reason to coexist peacefully. One of my favorite things about the Elves theme was how magical creatures just existed as a part of the world that the elven characters lived in harmony with.

There's no reason another sort of story couldn't do the same. Heck, even if you wanted to introduce more conflict, you could quite easily have rival human factions who both coexisted with mythical creatures the same way real knights coexisted with livestock or horses, regardless of their "alignment".

Edited by Lyichir

17 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Heck, even if you wanted to introduce more conflict, you could quite easily have rival human factions who both coexisted with mythical creatures the same way real knights coexisted with livestock or horses, regardless of their "alignment".

That's not an idea I've seen before or thought of, but now you've mentioned it, it seems a no-brainer. How else do you satisfy the crowd who want human-on-human conflict and the crowd who want fantasy creatures? And the beauty of Lego means that if you so chose, you could have the human factions unite against the fantasy creatures.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

No offense, but there's something a little weird to me about the assumption that the knights and the wildlife couldn't have any reason to coexist peacefully. One of my favorite things about the Elves theme was how magical creatures just existed as a part of the world that the elven characters lived in harmony with.

So no armored humans with swords?

8 hours ago, Lyichir said:

There's no reason another sort of story couldn't do the same. Heck, even if you wanted to introduce more conflict, you could quite easily have rival human factions who both coexisted with mythical creatures the same way real knights coexisted with livestock or horses, regardless of their "alignment".

Which Castle theme has no conflict? This area of the theme park has not be claimed by Elves fans, but as Castle. On the other thread, we have been told loads of things Castle cannot be. It cannot be outside of Europe, has to be medieval and not before or after, no gunpowder, only swords, no Vikings, and so on. Yet here we have an area of a theme park that has apparently only mythical animals. No castles, not medieval, no humans yet it is claimed as Castle. I cannot see how this area of a theme park shows LEGO that Castle is popular. Even if they make sets, this is no more Castle than Elves was. 

I tend to agree with @MAB : while the visuals for the Mythica theme park area are splendid, they do not have medieval features. Fantasy, definitely - but not medieval-fantasy, which is the fiction sub-genre I associate with the LEGO Castle theme.

20 hours ago, gedren_y said:

After looking at the pictures myself, a project from the LEGO World Builder platform (posted before Mythica was announced) instantly came to my mind:

ReMyth

Is this just a bizarre coincidence, or did this theme idea inspire them to create this new Mythica thing? 

Edited by Lego David

4 hours ago, MAB said:

Which Castle theme has no conflict? This area of the theme park has not be claimed by Elves fans, but as Castle. On the other thread, we have been told loads of things Castle cannot be. It cannot be outside of Europe, has to be medieval and not before or after, no gunpowder, only swords, no Vikings, and so on. Yet here we have an area of a theme park that has apparently only mythical animals. No castles, not medieval, no humans yet it is claimed as Castle. I cannot see how this area of a theme park shows LEGO that Castle is popular. Even if they make sets, this is no more Castle than Elves was. 

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

After looking at the pictures myself, a project from the LEGO World Builder platform (posted before Mythica was announced) instantly came to my mind:

ReMyth

Is this just a bizarre coincidence, or did this theme idea inspire them to create this new Mythica thing? 

fantasy castle was castle and maybe if the park had at least a a not stupid modern setting for it, it could work for castle and BOOOOOOOO !!!!!! that theme on worldbuilder has cool aniamls, but hip people in weird clothing riding them BOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Aurore said:

while the visuals for the Mythica theme park area are splendid, they do not have medieval features. Fantasy, definitely - but not medieval-fantasy, which is the fiction sub-genre I associate with the LEGO Castle theme.

This is a nail-meeting-head comment, imo. I wonder if it's a case of the dearth of Castle themes causing people (myself included, I must admit) to jump the gun and latch onto anything that has even the slightest hint of being Castle-related even long after it becomes clear that it's not the case. A few months ago we got a logo, and I think that gave people time to build up expectations in their head as to what 'Mythica' might be. I know for me it took a few minutes for the pictures of Mythica to fully override my mental image of what it could have been, and in that time I combined the two mentally. It's possible that Mythica becomes more Castle-like as it comes out, but that looks a bit unlikely.

(Sidenote: I haven't been to a Legoland park in over a decade. Would there definitely be some indication of knights in the Mythica pictures if there were knights associated with the concept?)

I suspect - especially if Mythica does become a fantasy-inspired theme of sets - that the result will be either no new Castle for a while, or a Castle with no fantasy grounding whatsoever.

Edited by Alexandrina
Somehow managed to duplicate the comment!

I, for one, hope this does not become a series of sets for that very reason.  After 8 years, anything that gets in the way of a castle theme is the enemy.  If Mythica sets are developed my LEGO knights will have to hunt them down at the next AFOL event and eat them!   ;-)

2 hours ago, DaleDVM said:

I, for one, hope this does not become a series of sets for that very reason.  After 8 years, anything that gets in the way of a castle theme is the enemy.  If Mythica sets are developed my LEGO knights will have to hunt them down at the next AFOL event and eat them!   ;-)

i hope mythica is a theme with mythical creatures and fantasy type people, because then they can fit with knights, but if it is hipsters and mythical animals, then the hipsters will go to court in lego city ( and probably be executed ) and the mythical creatures will go to the knights

48 minutes ago, valon said:

i hope mythica is a theme with mythical creatures and fantasy type people, because then they can fit with knights, but if it is hipsters and mythical animals, then the hipsters will go to court in lego city ( and probably be executed ) and the mythical creatures will go to the knights

What would a Lego hipster look like? 

8 hours ago, MAB said:

My point was that there could be conflict even without it being "man vs. beast" conflict. Picture knights riding into battle on dragons or griffons or things like that. It just seemed weird to me that you seemed to be assuming that in a world populated by mythical creatures, the only reason for there to be knights would be to slay them.

2 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

What would a Lego hipster look like? 

LEGO® Hidden Side - Parker L Jackson from 70424 - The Brick People like the person in the picture posted of the world builder thing or the minifigure above

30 minutes ago, valon said:

LEGO® Hidden Side - Parker L Jackson from 70424 - The Brick People like the person in the picture posted of the world builder thing or the minifigure above

I'd hardly call her 'hipster'. Not medieval, definitely, but that's a perfectly reasonable outfit. 

Just now, Alexandrina said:

I'd hardly call her 'hipster'. Not medieval, definitely, but that's a perfectly reasonable outfit. 

i think i have different defintion of reasonable then you

Just now, valon said:

i think i have different defintion of reasonable then you

Denim jacket, jeans and a beanie? It might not be the height of contemporary fashion but it's far from uncommon right now. 

1 minute ago, Alexandrina said:

Denim jacket, jeans and a beanie? It might not be the height of contemporary fashion but it's far from uncommon right now. 

contmeporay fashion is wearing a inflatble pool, literally, i think that clothing is normal for a hip person, but not normal