kelceycoe

75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters Discussion

Just so you know, I paused reading your post after the third sentence, opened iTunes, and bought it. Just waiting for it to download. And in terms of the set, I'm ridiculously tempted by it regardless of whether I enjoy the film or not - it's an absolutely gorgeous looking set.

Any idea how long it will be before it's retired?

You'll love it. Get off the forums and go watch it! :angry::laugh:

Shelf life of D2C's are hard to judge. The Tumbler is gone after a little less than 2 years, but the Death Star has been around for almost 9 years now I think and is finally retiring... :look:

Edited by mediumsnowman

Shelf life of D2C's are hard to judge. The Tumbler is gone after a little less than 2 years, but the Death Star has been around for almost 9 years now I think and is finally retiring... :look:

I strongly believe that it will be available for more than Tumbler as it attracts both GB and modular building fans. But no one can be 100% sure.

Regarding the quality of the box - those of you, who already got the set must have noticed that it has nice glossy finish. It also does not seem to be a lot thinner (if it is at all) than e.g. Detective Office's box. I think that the argument, that TLG cuts costs of packaging is not quite valid.

I will be watching it this evening. Unfortunately I get paid on Monday and the temptation will be too strong - if D2Cs usually hang around for a couple years, I might try and hold off - this and the 66 Batcave are both tempting, but no way I can afford both sets.

It would be nice if the cost savings were passed to us in the form of lower or flat set prices but that is another topic :classic:

I think that's probably what happened here, honestly. This is a 4600+ piece set for "only" $350. I suspect that if the packaging is thinner than what one might expect, it's because they decided the set had to be this many pieces in order to be done properly, but at the same time it couldn't cost more than this much to be able to sell as s non-Star Wars set, and so in order to be able to sell it at that price and still make a profit, they opted to compromise on an aspect that wasn't the product proper, but something that many people just consider trash and throw away anyway.

If TLG went even further with this set than they already have and incorporated every additional wish people have asked for - finished back, longer footprint to hold Ectomobile more easily, all prints and no stickers, an additional character or two, and a sturdier package on top of all that - we could be looking at a much more expensive set. Even the mighty Star Wars has had only three sets more expensive than this.

I think LEGO are moving towards thinner packaging for all sets due to environmental considerations, and that is all there is to it.

Making changes to a production pipeline is time consuming and costly, there is just no way LEGO would make changes to the packaging thickness to squeeze in a few extra bricks for a particular set.

I took the advice to watch the film. I now have a new favourite movie and a burning desire to spend £350 on the Firehouse, Ecto and Dimensions pack, though I really cannot afford that. Thanks a bunch :laugh:

They're great movies, especially if you're into 80's comedies. I'm still deciding whether or not I should buy this set.

Just so you know, I paused reading your post after the third sentence, opened iTunes, and bought it. Just waiting for it to download. And in terms of the set, I'm ridiculously tempted by it regardless of whether I enjoy the film or not - it's an absolutely gorgeous looking set.

Any idea how long it will be before it's retired?

Good man.

It'll be at least a year before it retires. Long enough after the movie reboot and if there's any news of additional movies, this set could stay out till those movies drop, too. I think there's still talk of a male cast Ghostbusters film and if the female cast one does well (or even if it doesn't) could guarantee a sequel.

Possibly. But my point still stands in it isn't something we should be happy with or be quiet about it when we are given lesser quality. If we never say anything, then nothing will definitely ever be done.

And the manual for my GBHQ did come with the cardboard backing, btw.

Started my set last night and there was no cardboard backing with the instruction manual.

Curious how the bags were contained inside your set as mine had two white boxes (one held 1-3 the other 4-7) and the rest of the bags were loose.

Went to the LEGO Store today... holy crap the box is huge! As is the set, I saw a display! I'm really still conflicted if I should get this or not. Anyone convice me? I'm gonna see if I have the money. . .

I need no convincing. If you like the movie or the monsters included (main draw for me), then I'd recommend it. Of course, desperately wanting the set myself, I'm not the right person to ask when you're trying to resist. But it has a good design, a lot of detail, and the best selection of figures in a set in a long time.

Yeah, I've seen Ghostbusters and the 2nd one (eh) and I like them, I have the ECTO, but I still dunno. It's a lot. I want it, but.. :shrug_confused:

Yeah, I've seen Ghostbusters and the 2nd one (eh) and I like them, I have the ECTO, but I still dunno. It's a lot. I want it, but.. :shrug_confused:

I'd love the set, but £275 is a LOT to drop on a set. I know I won't be able to resist the 66 Batcave so I'm reluctant to drop on this straight away. If it's gonna be around for a year or more, I might hold off until later in the year.

There is just no way LEGO would make changes to the packaging thickness to squeeze in a few extra bricks for a particular set.

Based on what? They continue to raise the price of modules while making them physically smaller and using smaller pieces?

The purpose of the company is to profit and if they thought they could effectively sell sets without a box at all, they would.

Based on what? They continue to raise the price of modules while making them physically smaller and using smaller pieces?

The purpose of the company is to profit and if they thought they could effectively sell sets without a box at all, they would.

You are responding a little out of context here. The key point was particular set. Changes in the production pipeline is not initiated by a designer wanting to put a few more pieces in a particular set. A change like that for a single set would be more expensive and not cheaper, just imagine the research, testing & QA work involved. If the (perceived) cost savings on packaging was in order to allow more bricks in the set there would be no change in profits either.

78CE3F2F-18D6-4084-B569-0C638C56A15C_zpsfswben1c.jpg

1B559A32-877E-44A4-8D8D-23323B97DCBB_zps56gwj4a2.jpg

I've been a lurker here for months. I registered to post my modified back wall.

How did you manage to change the build seemlessly to accommodate the back?

I am currently in bags number 7 - and so far there has beed two quite important pieces missing :/

Edited by peter_m

How did you manage to change the build seemlessly to accommodate the back?

I moved most of the interior walls forward one stud. The kitchen shelves were shortened by one stud so it doesn't cover the window. I removed the small brown plates on the ledge behind Peter's desk and put the brown wall directly on the edge on the dark bluish gray bricks. Some areas took more creativity than others.

I really want to get this set but from the sounds of it there is going to be a fair few UCS sets this year that I want to get, so I highly doubt I'll

even be able to pick this up this year. What do you guys think the shelf life of this set is going to be?

I really want to get this set but from the sounds of it there is going to be a fair few UCS sets this year that I want to get, so I highly doubt I'll

even be able to pick this up this year. What do you guys think the shelf life of this set is going to be?

I asked the same question and was told to expect at least a year, maybe 2

I asked the same question and was told to expect at least a year, maybe 2

Well that's alright then, I'll pick it up in 2017 for sure!

I am currently in bags number 7 - and so far there has beed two quite important pieces missing :/

Thought I had a piece missing but turns out it was in an unnumbered bag I had misplaced when unpacking.