Sign in to follow this  
Skystorm87

WIP: lego layout 2015 Legoland and Legoville

Hello everyone :classic:

I think my layout is now at a stage that I can present it as a whole to the community. As you will see I have still some space to expand it and there are quite a few buildings that I wish to rebuild/redesign to make them better. My layout has a classic 80/90 inspiration and that's why most of the new sets I have are from the creator/expert line. :tongue:

here it is a video showing the whole layout with the trains and the new ferris wheel motorised:

As you can notice from the video, since I love trains, a large parte of the table is covered by rails. There are three stations.

1) Legoland C.le (C.le stands for Centrale in italian, the main station)

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

2) another smaller station, located on the sea-side and near the vulcano called Lego Ville:

upload_-1.jpg

20150506_142409.jpg

and another station that serves the airport:

20150506_191458.jpg

The town centre of Legoland features a square with a Market, a Pizzeria, and a Carrousel, the ruins of ancient abbey, always crowded by visitors, the town-hall (the yellow-brown building) and - of course - a police station:

upload_-1.jpg

There is a residential area, which is mostly restaurant and country-side with a small beach:

IMG_20150506_121023852.jpg

The main Harbour of the town, with a bridge for the trains, and a restaurant in an ancient mill:

upload_-1.jpg

Finally there is the city area, with two main tall buildings:

IMG_20150812_215352167.jpg

well, there are more ideas to develop my city but I want to hear what do you think so far :wink:

Edited by Skystorm87

Cool layout, I like the mix of old, new and MOC designs in there! And I like your landscaping too, with mountain and beach :D

I look forward to seeing updates, happy building :D

I really like the ruins you built, that's a fantastic idea. Great layout!

Thank you, the idea of the ruins come from several yellowed bricks I have got in my collections. I thought that, rather than clean them, I could have used them this way :wink:

Impressive layout. I think the only think remaining to really bring it to that elite calibre is "surfacing". By that I mean sidewalks, grass, water, etc., such that tiles / foilage / etc is covering all the currently-exposed baseplates. Your beach is a good example of the "surfacing" - expanding what you've started there to the entire thing.

The drawback is that (1) it's time consuming to cover, say, a blue water plate in trans-blue (or other water technique) tiles, (2) it's costly to acquire the vast sum of tiles/foilage it can take, and (3) it can reduce the flexibility in re-arranging the layout (move one plate and suddenly the sidewalks don't align and you're back to the time issue - rearranging one thing means retiling everything adjacent).

But, if you're layout is displayed in a location that you don't anticipate moving it for several years, it can definitely be worth pursuing and really make a big aesthetic "wow" factor. I've also found that by tiling open space surfaces (as few exposed studs as possible), it can make it very easy to remove the dust that inevitably accummulates (either just a wet-wipe or a can of pressured air).

Edited by AirborneAFOL

Yes I totally agree with you. I will start the surfacing process now. I starter last yerar by buying lots of flower and plates for the beach. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my finance) I can work on my layout about 1month per year because I live in Paris while my layout is in Italy.

And indeed surfacing is very expensive!

I also want to add lights to my layout and motorise the wind mills and the lighthouse