CM4Sci

Architecture 2016

LOVING the Venice diorama, but no London or even Paris skyline? Berlin, meh.... (an apology for the embarrassing Brandenburg Gate perhaps?)

The NYC set is okayish I suppose (would prefer the Chrysler as a standalone) but the Burj. Really? Again?

Still hoping (in vain) TLG may have a stab at La Sagrada Familia or St Peters/Paul's. Something that requires a little more imagination. Something not a skyscraper or another US-based mediocrity, architecturally-speaking.

London and Paris for next wave ... hopefully. Paris with the Eiffelturm and London with the London Eye ... that would certainly look amazing. I hope they keep going with this sub-theme.

I look at this way, it's 4 sets for 2016 for a line that is sparse in sets at best. They are smaller, sure, but there seems to be a dearth of ideas for the line, not sure why, but if this is something they can give us, then I am all for it.

(snip) but there seems to be a dearth of ideas for the line, not sure why, (snip…)

To some extent I think they handicap themselves when it comes to ideas in that A) there is a distinct bias in favor of famous buildings by famous (mostly recent, on the timescale of civilization) architects and B) TLG's prohibition against being seen as promoting/depicting religion puts a _lot_ of outstanding examples of fine architecture in a gray area; TLG _could_ sustain the Architecture line for decades on models of famous cathedrals, churches, temples, mosques, pagan ritual sites (e.g. Stonehenge) etc. but doing so risks opening up a debate about "religious themed" sets on par with the long beaten dead horse of "How come you say no depictions of warfare but …(insert example from licensed theme or comparison of Creator jet to fighter plane here, etc.)…"

since I live here in St Louis, would love that, but I think it would need to be at least mid size scale of around 400 pieces to do it justice...I thought about Chichen Itza or the Great Pyramids too since they are doing these micro scale landscapes...could easily to the 3 pyramids of Giza (not likely a fun build though, 3 triangles essentially) and Chichen Itza is similar, has some outer "buildings"

Macchu Pichu would be hard to do too, but it definitely an architectural wonder, Stonehenge...

I am still waiting on Taipei 101, if they do the Burj, certainly they can do the 101

LOVING the Venice diorama, but no London or even Paris skyline? Berlin, meh.... (an apology for the embarrassing Brandenburg Gate perhaps?)

Paris has a skyline? I thought they had a zoning thing that prevented skyscrapers from being built anywhere near the city center?

Paris has a skyline? I thought they had a zoning thing that prevented skyscrapers from being built anywhere near the city center?

Actually the area AROUND Paris has more skyscrapers than any other European city. But yes, the central zoning thing is true, unfortunately not before they built that Montparnasse monstrosity.

Still more iconic than Berlin...

La Tour Eiffel

Arc de Triomphe

Sacre CÅ“ur

Nôtre Dame

(p.s. TLG really need to get over the religious building thing)

I so agree with that, considering in the middle ages in Europe, the major architecture was either churches or castles, there is so much rich history there with the great architecture that still stands today. We also have so many cool buildings around the world that could be done. I do wonder why TLG won't do the Hagia Sophia, sure it was originally built as a Christian church, but it is now a museum.

I am not sure if we have an ambassador for Architecture, but would love to have a Q&A with someone at TLG about this line to see their thought process and how we might be able to influence/suggest sets to be made.

La Tour Eiffel

Arc de Triomphe

Sacre CÅ“ur

Nôtre Dame

Grande Arche

Yes It's a hollowed out cube but it's a very modern building compared to the others listed

This new line has me excited in the line again.

Shanghai has a skyline id like to see in a set too.

Towers are still my favorite.

Taipei 101 I may try making a custom going off that picture.

Just need to figure out the piece or element ID of that slopped piece.

I have always been a fan of stadium architecture as well, just so many great ones around the world. If they started this though, I have to go with my favorite and I am biased for sure, but start right in Kansas City with Arrowhead and Kauffman right next to each other. These could be done on a micro scale easy enough. Just google Harry S Truman sports complex to see pictures. Just wish they had that rolling roof that was originally planned.

I would have to throw Wembley in as my second choice, never been there but it is well known, many great ones out there.

I have always been a fan of stadium architecture as well, just so many great ones around the world. If they started this though, I have to go with my favorite and I am biased for sure, but start right in Kansas City with Arrowhead and Kauffman right next to each other.

If going sports complex. Philly has 4 all in the same area.

Rogers centre has the CN tower right beside it. Could do both like that.

But if they did stadiums.

Yankee,Wrigley, Fenway would be the first 3 of baseball.

O2 arena in London.

Birdsnest in Beijing from the 2008 Olympics.

Actually an intresting idea the more I think about it.

I know...to me, this line is severely under utilized, could be 10 sets a year covering a lot of different builds

21029 UK Landmark

21030 US Landmark

Great find.

Let the speculation begin.

For UK hoping for The Shard, 30 St Mary axe, Tower bridge.

USA

Trump tower Chicago.

A proper One WTC

I know earlier in this thread "Cwetqo" mentioned US Capitiol Building. Could this be true?

http://brickset.com/sets/21029-1

http://brickset.com/sets/21030-1/%7BUS-landmark%7D

Edited by Steve309

There is no reason on Earth why there should be any shortage of subject matter for this line, even with avoiding religious structures. I've filled out that online survey at least a dozen times and put different suggestions on it every time. I was glad to see I M Pei finally get a nod, as I'd suggested him for the line a few years back.

21029 Buckingham Palace* :wink:

Is this on good authority or just a hunch?

Good authority. :sweet:

What about the US landmark? Also maybe you should add these two sets to the first post of this thread - are they for 2H or 1H?