VBBN

Bionicle 2016 Story Discussion & Rumors

Melum is the ape/rhino Dorek mentioned.

They all sound OK, but I thought Terak would be a mole or a bat.

Okay, so more "regal" or "dignified" rather than "aspiring to higher morals", I getcha.

Exactly, sorry if I was unclear! It's finals time and I'm a little dazed, jeez.

Melum is the ape/rhino Dorek mentioned.

They all sound OK, but I thought Terak would be a mole or a bat.

Huh, I heard it get called a wolf once or twice before. Wonder why LEGO chose an ape rhino for the ice creature.

I can see where the dragon thing comes in though.

Edited by Bigger Fish

Huh, I heard it get called a wolf once or twice before. Wonder why LEGO chose an ape rhino for the ice creature.

I can see where the dragon thing comes in though.

I think wolf was mostly wishful thinking when we were still speculating on what the creatures would be. The closest I came to anything was penguin. Nothing like what it actually is =P

Thank you for bringing up the penguin speculation again Dorek. Now I want to design a waddling feature :tongue:.

Ever since Aanchir called Melum's function a "bear hug", I've been seeing it as a polar bear. And Terak is an ape?! It blatantly looks like a mole to me.

Yeah, Terak's more of a mole-dragon than an ape.

Wait. Mole. Ape.

Mole men confirmed.

Yeah, I was really surprised to see "Lizard" and "Ape-rhino". I guess I had sort of ingrained the Mole and Polar Bear ideas into my thinking based on the posts in this topic.

And is it just me, or is that Ekimu at the end of the comic?

Yeah, I was really surprised to see "Lizard" and "Ape-rhino". I guess I had sort of ingrained the Mole and Polar Bear ideas into my thinking based on the posts in this topic.

And is it just me, or is that Ekimu at the end of the comic?

What comic?

I very much doubt that that's Ekimu at the end of the comic, given that the previous panels are showing Umarak's implied transformation from Hunter to Destroyer, and that it's the Mask of Control, not the Mask of Creation.

I very much doubt that that's Ekimu at the end of the comic, given that the previous panels are showing Umarak's implied transformation from Hunter to Destroyer, and that it's the Mask of Control, not the Mask of Creation.

Ah, but the Mask is the very reason that I think it's Ekimu. Look closely at the ridges, then compare them to the ones on the leaked images of the Umarak the Destroyer set. There is little resemblance. The comic looks much more like the Mask of Creation to me.

Ah, but the Mask is the very reason that I think it's Ekimu. Look closely at the ridges, then compare them to the ones on the leaked images of the Umarak the Destroyer set. There is little resemblance. The comic looks much more like the Mask of Creation to me.

It's the Mask of Control, just un-mutated or whatever. You'll notice that that foot isn't from Umarak the Destroyer either - it's a foot from Grievous. The artists didn't have Umarak the Destroyer for reference and just used approximates.

It's certainly not the mask of creation. If you look at the comic, it has "eyebrows" above the eye holes and runes above the mold circle. None of these things are present in The Mask of Creation.

Going down you can even see the teeth of the "mutated" Mask of Control, so I guess that the artists did have Umarak The Destroyer at hand; or at least the new Mask of Control.

-Iben

It's the Mask of Control, just un-mutated or whatever. You'll notice that that foot isn't from Umarak the Destroyer either - it's a foot from Grievous. The artists didn't have Umarak the Destroyer for reference and just used approximates.

We don't know that for sure at all. Could be working off a prototype model of Umarak The Destroyer. Or a finalized version, for that matter.

Uuhhh, Umarak the Destroyer uses those kind of feet as well according to the leaked pictures. :/

Uuhhh, Umarak the Destroyer uses those kind of feet as well according to the leaked pictures. :/

But the legs use a Hordika neck and a CCBS bone, not two CCBS bones.

We don't know that for sure at all. Could be working off a prototype model of Umarak The Destroyer. Or a finalized version, for that matter.

Like Kalhiki said, the front foot joint on the Destroyer is secured to a Hordika neck, and the back one is connected to a trans neon green bone (which is also the claw color). The comic foot has a grey 6M bone and a black 5M bone for the leg connections respectively, exactly like General Grievous. And it has greyish claws to boot. The only way in which it doesn't match the Grievous model is the lack of a third toe. I guess if you wanted to argue that there is a theoretical more finalized version of the Destroyer out there that they used that was revised to have a foot almost exactly like Grievous, then sure, it's possible. But that's quite the assumption to make.

Edited by Tazakk

It's certainly not the mask of creation. If you look at the comic, it has "eyebrows" above the eye holes and runes above the mold circle. None of these things are present in The Mask of Creation.

Going down you can even see the teeth of the "mutated" Mask of Control, so I guess that the artists did have Umarak The Destroyer at hand; or at least the new Mask of Control.

-Iben

Exactly - the mask in the comic has both the eyebrows and more pronounced 'forehead circle' of the MoCo, and the markings are too wide to be those of the MoCr, not mention they start far too low for that as well. On the bottom left (our left) of the mask, you can also see the start of more markings, equivalent to where they would be on the MoCo (MoCr has these too, but they're on a more pronounced ridge). There's also the teeth at the bottom of the MoCo, which you can just barely make out, and the only version of the MoCo to have that is UTD's mask.

Plus, it would be incredibly bad form to suddenly switch from Umarak to Ekimu without any explanation, implied or otherwise. Before this, the comic is showing Umarak's transformation. Makes literally zero sense for it to be Ekimu.

Makes literally zero sense for it to be Ekimu.

This. Just this.

I don't even understand how this discussion could even begin.

I guess if you wanted to argue that there is a theoretical more finalized version of the Destroyer out there that they used that was revised to have a foot almost exactly like Grievous, then sure, it's possible. But that's quite the assumption to make.

Any more outlandish than "we have absolutely no model for reference, so let's just use a set from a completely different licensed theme"? If they know the Destroyer foot was going to look vaguely like that in the first place, why get a different model at all?

I don't even understand how this discussion could even begin.

Presumably because Ekimu is the counterpart to Umarak, and so this could have been him stepping out to challenge the Destroyer. I mean, the red eyes should have been a giveaway, but still =P