Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest #139: Around the World

Hoke is a good man. I know he butted heads with Guts a few times at Baltarok, but I think he can still be trusted to do what's right. As for Matthias, I trust him. He's young, and inexperienced compared to us, but he has a good head on his shoulders. He doesn't trust the Council, sure, but can you blame him? He hasn't seen what we have, nevermind he'd been through a lot over the past few months. The kid's immortal now, Arthur. What does that do to a person?

"It makes you realize that you will have to watch everything you know and love, everything you care about, wither and turn to dust in the winds of time. It forces you to value the time you have with it, because one day it will all be just a memory." Arthur lowers his head towards the ground, raising only his eyes to meet Dyric's. "There...may be a few things I haven't told you about myself. Things that happened during our many times apart. When we get a chance to speak more privately, I should explain them to you."

Arthur sighs, then looks back up. "If it was Hoke alone, sure. But Torc...I do not trust that creature. And she does not trust me." Arthur looks to Miirym. "You spent more time with her than I. What was your impression?"

"<She is posessed of a fierce drive, one that leads her to seek to guide her partner's path. Beyond that I cannot say. She is not one for much speaking.>"

Arthur nods thoughtfully. "I see," he says simply.

Funny that you mention that night. I keep feeling this quest that my past is staring my straight in the eye. Duplovia, Baltarok, Zane, McColt, Prince David...

I think hard for a moment, distress welling in my eyes. Arthur, you've gone through quite the crisis of faith over the years. If you don't mind me asking, what would you consider a Hero to be?

Arthur exhales slowly, lips pursed. "It depends. Do you mean a hero, a purveyor of great and noble deeds? Or do you mean a godlike mercenary of an organization in Eubric?" Arthur stares unfocusedly towards a nearby torch, watching its flame slowly consuming its fuel as it throws out light across the area. "The two aren't mutually exclusive, of course. But Heroica as it stand is merely a name and a power: the power to survive, to convert one's will and determination into an ever-increasing array of nigh-unstoppable armaments. Any idiot can join Heroica and push their own cause, doing whatever they see fit with no risk of repercussion--at least, not to themselves. They need put nothing on the line, and so selfishly serve themselves without being in any danger at all. Many are bullies, and those that aren't often become them, whether they realize it or no."

"Real heroes are those who seek to improve the world, and are willing to put themselves on the line to do so. I've known a fair few people who can be called true heroes--Hans, Poletad, Triad, Phil, even a ship's captain named Illdria. They all sought to make the world better, in ways great or small, and when the time came they chose to risk their lives for the sake of making things right. To me, that's heroism, even if the heroics are as simple as keeping a cheat from harming four uninvited guests. Real heroes take responsibility, rather than leaving the mess for someone else to clean up." Arthur looks back to Dyric. "I can't call myself a hero, in either sense of the word. But for you...yes, 'hero' is a description I can certainly agree with."

Hoke shakes the cobwebs from his head as he helps Torc to her feet. He pats her head and rubs her neck gently in way of apology.

"We may be back later Forge Master, but, as of now, there are other things to attend to. Melquiades, Iceborn's office."

I'd like to get in on the Frozen room action as well. Can we coordinate that?

Arthur exhales slowly, lips pursed. "It depends. Do you mean a hero, a purveyor of great and noble deeds? Or do you mean a godlike mercenary of an organization in Eubric?" Arthur stares unfocusedly towards a nearby torch, watching its flame slowly consuming its fuel as it throws out light across the area. "The two aren't mutually exclusive, of course. But Heroica as it stand is merely a name and a power: the power to survive, to convert one's will and determination into an ever-increasing array of nigh-unstoppable armaments. Any idiot can join Heroica and push their own cause, doing whatever they see fit with no risk of repercussion--at least, not to themselves. They need put nothing on the line, and so selfishly serve themselves without being in any danger at all. Many are bullies, and those that aren't often become them, whether they realize it or no."

It seems to be the case more and more. Baltarok showcased just how far we've come. Heroica used to mean something, didn't it? I saw my brother this trip after years apart, yet when we left he looked at me as if I had gotten myself into... I don't know, something unethical. Maybe I have. I just don't know anymore.

"Real heroes are those who seek to improve the world, and are willing to put themselves on the line to do so. I've known a fair few people who can be called true heroes--Hans, Poletad, Triad, Phil, even a ship's captain named Illdria. They all sought to make the world better, in ways great or small, and when the time came they chose to risk their lives for the sake of making things right. To me, that's heroism, even if the heroics are as simple as keeping a cheat from harming four uninvited guests. Real heroes take responsibility, rather than leaving the mess for someone else to clean up." Arthur looks back to Dyric. "I can't call myself a hero, in either sense of the word. But for you...yes, 'hero' is a description I can certainly agree with."

I appreciate the thought, I really do - but if you asked Karie about it, I'm sure she'd have a very different opinion of me.

I let out a deep sigh.

Arthur, in Duplovia I don't think anyone's gotten through childhood without hearing about the Miracleworker. When I was exiled, I thought maybe I could be a hero like the Duplovian Veteran. I thought maybe I could become something, that I could influence things. First I wanted to reclaim my home, but since I've come to Heroica I've fought for so many things. Uniting the Houses, Guts' campaign... and I thought that if I fought evil, maybe I could stop it. Now Wren, Vonnetate, Melville... they're obvious evils. They set out to bring down everything they touch, and they should rightly be brought down in return.

But not everything is so obvious, is it?

I don't know what you heard of Baltarok, but when the dust settled the orcs were calling for the head of Prince David. He had been coerced into leading his country to what nearly became a long, bloody war. I said, I said that if it would bring the peace, David should be executed. That the innocents he would have led to their deaths justified his demise. Arthur, at Carn I saw the prince again. He was a good man, trying to atone for what he had done. Because while I was parading around with a bow and arrow playing judge, jury and executioner I'd forgotten about redemption. So tell me, Arthur, can I truly be called a hero? Can any of us?

OoC: Hm, not sure there is anyone in the Council Room. What do you mean by this request?

Oh, sorry, I meant the Mother's Office. :blush:

Repeat

Round Three Etherial Amethyst

>Purpearl vs Sprite A (back): Enchant (What would you like to enchant, Purpearl?)

Arm shield

"Those fools... It always comes down to me and Bombast... and if there were anyone else it came down to, believe me, I wish it weren't Bombast."

"There's us," Matthias notes halfheartedly. No one ever thinks about us, he thinks. Or at least me, and not for the first time he wonders about the Mother's offer to Hoke.

"Chaomancers, damn it. And Beast trying to get animals rights. And governments constantly being deposed - Xu, and that damned Wolfgang in Eubric, and of course they're aligned with Baba - I wanted to go in there. No one respects order anymore. The strong leading the weak. Whatever happened to that? ...There is a practice. You do research first! Well? What'll it be? You going to get out of my way, or help me before my partners do something stupid?"

Piglina's outburst and bustle leave Matthias nonplussed. I wonder if that's how I sound to the others, he wonders. And then comes the line that sets him off. Whatever happened to the strong leading the weak? That sounds a lot like Lord Chauncey! What he says, however, is, "Lady Piglina, I don't think there is a need to hurry - our comrades will most likely not act until we are gathered once more. In any case, as you say, there is a method - we would like to know everything we can about the Old Gods, their positions, their influence, their power... and the witches! What are they? Who are they? Why is everyone so afraid of them? And I think I would very much like to hear what you know of events in Eubric, since most of us call that our home now."

Edited by StickFig

5f057924-84e7-46b5-8b4f-dc62c39ef980_zps82ba12da.jpg

"It's nice to grab a private moment" says Lady Felix cheekily as they wander away. "How was your trip around the world? Bring me anything nice?" She glances over her shoulder. "What'd you do to bother the Doctor? He usually has nothing but praise for you heroes, and now he's got that edge in his voice."

Guts offers his arm to Lady Felix as they walk. "Our trip was... well, I do hope yours was more comfortable? As for a souvenir... I am afraid it slipped my mind. Must have happened between the times we crossed icy mountains and ran away from all the sandworms in the world. Daneeka got hurt badly. Twice... Attacked by pirates, swallowed by a sandworm. I can't think straight, damn island. Right, Zora, this teleportation guy, Melquiades, Selkreeth, Green, is responsible for the headaches whenever you want to enter another building? It seems the fellow has fallen for you, and got it in his head that we could help him with that in exchange for his help in accessing the Frozen Room, whatever that is exactly. I told him that asking us to ask you instead of him asking you wouldn't change anything, but somehow that's what the deal ended up being. What do you say?"

It seems to be the case more and more. Baltarok showcased just how far we've come. Heroica used to mean something, didn't it? I saw my brother this trip after years apart, yet when we left he looked at me as if I had gotten myself into... I don't know, something unethical. Maybe I have. I just don't know anymore.

"Maybe. Back in Dastan I thought we proved that Heroica can actually accomplish something, but when we returned I saw that the change we accomplished only really went so far. I personally think Heroica just got more honest, stopped trying to hide behind a veneer of honor it never really had. Heroica is dangerous, and it's focused on changing things. Whether for good or for bad...that's up to you."

I appreciate the thought, I really do - but if you asked Karie about it, I'm sure she'd have a very different opinion of me.

I let out a deep sigh.

Arthur, in Duplovia I don't think anyone's gotten through childhood without hearing about the Miracleworker. When I was exiled, I thought maybe I could be a hero like the Duplovian Veteran. I thought maybe I could become something, that I could influence things. First I wanted to reclaim my home, but since I've come to Heroica I've fought for so many things. Uniting the Houses, Guts' campaign... and I thought that if I fought evil, maybe I could stop it. Now Wren, Vonnetate, Melville... they're obvious evils. They set out to bring down everything they touch, and they should rightly be brought down in return.

But not everything is so obvious, is it?

I don't know what you heard of Baltarok, but when the dust settled the orcs were calling for the head of Prince David. He had been coerced into leading his country to what nearly became a long, bloody war. I said, I said that if it would bring the peace, David should be executed. That the innocents he would have led to their deaths justified his demise. Arthur, at Carn I saw the prince again. He was a good man, trying to atone for what he had done. Because while I was parading around with a bow and arrow playing judge, jury and executioner I'd forgotten about redemption. So tell me, Arthur, can I truly be called a hero? Can any of us?

"I think you're trying to hold yourself to the standard of a god. We're limited, all of us, mortal or not, to our own perspective. We might strive to do better, but ultimately to escape that perspective entirely would be to cease being ourselves. We can only do the best we can, and when we err try to do what we can to alleviate the consequences. You're right in that not everything is obvious, but we can only do what we can to perceive them, and to deal with them as best we can."

"I'm going to have a chat with Bombast, but before I go. I heard you mentioning Guts' campaign. Noel's filled me in a little on that political mess, he's quite upset that Sungold rejected his bid to nominate himself for Wizard King of Eubric. These campaigns are one of those hidden threats. I want no part of it, but I have family on both sides...maybe even all three. Tread carefully, brother. You will not pull a Dastan or a Baltarok out of this one." Arthur turns and stands next to Miirym. "Melquiades, please take Miirym and me to Bombast's office. And be sure to fetch us when you take the others to the Ice Room."

"Maybe. Back in Dastan I thought we proved that Heroica can actually accomplish something, but when we returned I saw that the change we accomplished only really went so far. I personally think Heroica just got more honest, stopped trying to hide behind a veneer of honor it never really had. Heroica is dangerous, and it's focused on changing things. Whether for good or for bad...that's up to you."

"I think you're trying to hold yourself to the standard of a god. We're limited, all of us, mortal or not, to our own perspective. We might strive to do better, but ultimately to escape that perspective entirely would be to cease being ourselves. We can only do the best we can, and when we err try to do what we can to alleviate the consequences. You're right in that not everything is obvious, but we can only do what we can to perceive them, and to deal with them as best we can."

'The best we can'... maybe you're right, brother. You think I'm a hero? Maybe someday. Maybe I'll better the world, like you think I will.

A light comes to my eye.

Arthur, I can't claim to know what powers led me to this quest. I just know that if the fates allow, I'll earn that title. Not as some cast-away, not as a self-proclaimed Assassin of the Light.

I pull back my hood, confidence building from inside.

thehero.jpg

I'm going to be a hero, Arthur, and one day I'll save Eubric.

Edited by The Legonater

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"Those fools. Amarcolm... of course... and Chauncey, I never liked him. Takes after his master too much, and his training in Xu - I thought he should never go... and then the reports from Olegaia, that play he funded that went down the tubes, pulling Witches..." she shakes her head. "No, that will not do. You'll have to stand out of my way, heroes." She stresses the word in a new light. "Idiots. Always messing with the natural order. And of course Iceborn won't stand in their way. It always comes down to me and Bombast... and if there were anyone else it came down to, believe me, I wish it weren't Bombast."

And she's off on a bit of a tangent, rushing around her office gathering things. "Damn it. There's no order, do you understand? In the world now. Chaomancers, damn it. And Beast trying to get animals rights. And governments constantly being deposed - Xu, and that damned Wolfgang in Eubric, and of curse they're aligned with Baba - I wanted to go in there. No one respects order anymore. The strong leading the weak. Whatever happened to that? Now everyone wants a piece of the pie. And bringing back the dead. Let good enough be good enough. Of course I have to step up to the plate and stop them. Why oh why must people continue to pry into things they don't understand. There is a practice. You do research first!" Her eyes fix on the heroes, as if she'd forgotten they were there. "Well? What'll it be? You going to get out of my way, or help me before my partners do something stupid?"

Hybros points at Pilglina intimidatingly. "Stop!" He looked uneasily at Matthias. "After you answer Matthias' questions, I would like to know what order you think exists. I am tired of hearing about maintaining the world as it is. There are too many people like you who do not believe we can do better. The Order Imperial lives in the past, and you like the rest of this island live in isolation from the world's problems. I do not suppose you have seen many of them firsthand while you are stuck here, but I will tell you that it is no pleasant sight, most of the time. There is evil out there, and there is chaos. They cannot be ignored, and what our employers... ehem..." He paused briefly, before deciding that he would have to be fully committed to Guffington's plan and ideals before fighting for them. "...We are trying to do here is to make the world a better place. This order that you think you have... it is not 'good enough'."

Hoke shakes the cobwebs from his head as he helps Torc to her feet. He pats her head and rubs her neck gently in way of apology.

"We may be back later Forge Master, but, as of now, there are other things to attend to. Melquiades, Iceborn's office."

Hoke and Torc arrive in Iceborn's Office.

IMG_2376_zpshkvyo22y.jpg

"Wonderful. More visitors." Iceborn looks up from the book he was reading. "Well? What can I do for you?"

"There's us," Matthias notes halfheartedly. No one ever thinks about us, he thinks. Or at least me, and not for the first time he wonders about the Mother's offer to Hoke.

Piglina's outburst and bustle leave Matthias nonplussed. I wonder if that's how I sound to the others, he wonders. And then comes the line that sets him off. Whatever happened to the strong leading the weak? That sounds a lot like Lord Chauncey! What he says, however, is, "Lady Piglina, I don't think there is a need to hurry - our comrades will most likely not act until we are gathered once more. In any case, as you say, there is a method - we would like to know everything we can about the Old Gods, their positions, their influence, their power... and the witches! What are they? Who are they? Why is everyone so afraid of them? And I think I would very much like to hear what you know of events in Eubric, since most of us call that our home now."

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"No need to hurry? I think you underestimate the recklessness of some mages. But it's true, I guess, that they cannot act until they've gathered everyone. And make no mistake, I will reason with them if I can. But they are often unreasonable once they get something in their mind."

"But just so that you're informed - the Old Gods is some nickname The Mother and her brothers have, as far as I know. It's never really mattered much. They're old, and people thought they were gods, I think is the story. I'm a bit surprised at her, to be honest. She usually stays out of disasters like this. And the Witches - couldn't tell you anything about them except they're old and powerful and hang around where things are most happening. But if history has told us anything, powerful unknowns aren't any good. Just look at the Mindflayer." She shakes her head. "Hope she comes to Etheria so we can show her what we're made of."

"As for Eubric, your island more than anything should prove exactly what I'm talking about! Mindflayers running amok, both now and in the past. Hels, look at what sunk Moone. Someone messing with something they didn't understand. And you think there's any mistake that demons keep arriving in your city? No. It's a breeding ground for fools trying to seize power. Even the Zeigfrieds, who are supposed to be keeping an eye on things, get caught up in it. Didn't the very first demon come through their household? And now the citizens are rebelling against the leaders of the island, siding with thugs who want to install a new King. It'll be anarchy there soon, dog eat dog, believe me."

Guts offers his arm to Lady Felix as they walk. "Our trip was... well, I do hope yours was more comfortable? As for a souvenir... I am afraid it slipped my mind. Must have happened between the times we crossed icy mountains and ran away from all the sandworms in the world. Daneeka got hurt badly. Twice... Attacked by pirates, swallowed by a sandworm. I can't think straight, damn island. Right, Zora, this teleportation guy, Melquiades, Selkreeth, Green, is responsible for the headaches whenever you want to enter another building? It seems the fellow has fallen for you, and got it in his head that we could help him with that in exchange for his help in accessing the Frozen Room, whatever that is exactly. I told him that asking us to ask you instead of him asking you wouldn't change anything, but somehow that's what the deal ended up being. What do you say?"

"Oh please, your charm makes all the difference." She winks. "Melquiades, believe it or not, isn't so bad looking for a Selkreeth. But it sounds like everyone gets a little something out of this deal except me. Tell you what. I'll go on this little date with Melquiades if you can get your hands on a little something I've heard mention of called the Eye of the Blind. Apparently it's in the room of treasures. I think Melquiades knows that I've got sticky fingers because he won't let me in there."

"I'm going to have a chat with Bombast, but before I go. I heard you mentioning Guts' campaign. Noel's filled me in a little on that political mess, he's quite upset that Sungold rejected his bid to nominate himself for Wizard King of Eubric. These campaigns are one of those hidden threats. I want no part of it, but I have family on both sides...maybe even all three. Tread carefully, brother. You will not pull a Dastan or a Baltarok out of this one." Arthur turns and stands next to Miirym. "Melquiades, please take Miirym and me to Bombast's office. And be sure to fetch us when you take the others to the Ice Room."

OoC: GIMP is still MIA so I'll just post the two images separately instead of compositing them like I have been.

IMG_2563_zpsg3qx95m3.jpg

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"...will plunge our very own island into chaos..."

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"Why must we always be the police? How can everyone else be so foolish? I'll help of course. But you'll owe me, understand?" Bombast waters the plants, and the image wavers, flickers.

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"...to act!"

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"I seem to recall a time when you would never offer such help..."

IMG_2564_zpsxar62bkc.jpg

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"Hello again, Arthur! What can I do for you?"

'The best we can'... maybe you're right, brother. You think I'm a hero? Maybe someday. Maybe I'll better the world, like you think I will.

A light comes to my eye.

Arthur, I can't claim to know what powers led me to this quest. I just know that if the fates allow, I'll earn that title. Not as some cast-away, not as a self-proclaimed Assassin of the Light.

I pull back my hood, confidence building from inside.

thehero.jpg

I'm going to be a hero, Arthur, and one day I'll save Eubric.

Melquiades arrives after dropping off Arthur, and whisks Dyric to the Mother's office. In one corner Felix and Guts speak, while in the another all of Guffington's employees hold conference. Guffington himself is engaged in a conversation with Chauncey and The Mother.

Hybros points at Pilglina intimidatingly. "Stop!" He looked uneasily at Matthias. "After you answer Matthias' questions, I would like to know what order you think exists. I am tired of hearing about maintaining the world as it is. There are too many people like you who do not believe we can do better. The Order Imperial lives in the past, and you like the rest of this island live in isolation from the world's problems. I do not suppose you have seen many of them firsthand while you are stuck here, but I will tell you that it is no pleasant sight, most of the time. There is evil out there, and there is chaos. They cannot be ignored, and what our employers... ehem..." He paused briefly, before deciding that he would have to be fully committed to Guffington's plan and ideals before fighting for them. "...We are trying to do here is to make the world a better place. This order that you think you have... it is not 'good enough'."

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"The Order Imperial doesn't even understand what they fear." She waves her hand dismissively. "Listen to what I've said to the gnome. Sure we can do better, but progress isn't always better. You must carefully weigh each step. What have you heroes dealt with? The Zeigfrieds' showed their folly by allowing their own family to overreach into what they didn't understand, and it's consumed them. The demons of Zoot won't leave them alone. And now they plague your whole city. The Temple of Zoot has been opened not once but twice, and the demons released. The very center of your city, a school filled with children, was ripped out of this realm and thrust into the void because a simple farmer opened a book he didn't understand. The island of Moone was sunk, and the Kingdom of one of your Veterans as well. All because people tried to 'do better'. Now, you must stand out of the way. I will go protect my island."

IMG_2376_zpshkvyo22y.jpg

"Wonderful. More visitors." Iceborn looks up from the book he was reading. "Well? What can I do for you?"

Hoke and Torc both had to fight the urge to pounce when they saw a bearded skeleton with flaming crimson eyes. Having realized this was indeed Cpt Iceborn, Hoke introduces himself and Torc.

"Hoke Ablesword, sir, and my draconic companion Torc. I have heard you may have interest for dealings with the Cold Circle. On a quest recently, I ran across a few of the Circle's acolytes and acquired this," Hoke says as shows Iceborn the Used Summoning Amulet,"From what I understand it was once used to summon a mighty sea beast. Can you tell if it is of any more use or could be recharged?"

IMG_2376_zpshkvyo22y.jpg

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"No need to hurry? I think you underestimate the recklessness of some mages. But it's true, I guess, that they cannot act until they've gathered everyone. And make no mistake, I will reason with them if I can. But they are often unreasonable once they get something in their mind."

"But just so that you're informed - the Old Gods is some nickname The Mother and her brothers have, as far as I know. It's never really mattered much. They're old, and people thought they were gods, I think is the story. I'm a bit surprised at her, to be honest. She usually stays out of disasters like this. And the Witches - couldn't tell you anything about them except they're old and powerful and hang around where things are most happening. But if history has told us anything, powerful unknowns aren't any good. Just look at the Mindflayer." She shakes her head. "Hope she comes to Etheria so we can show her what we're made of."

"As for Eubric, your island more than anything should prove exactly what I'm talking about! Mindflayers running amok, both now and in the past. Hels, look at what sunk Moone. Someone messing with something they didn't understand. And you think there's any mistake that demons keep arriving in your city? No. It's a breeding ground for fools trying to seize power. Even the Zeigfrieds, who are supposed to be keeping an eye on things, get caught up in it. Didn't the very first demon come through their household? And now the citizens are rebelling against the leaders of the island, siding with thugs who want to install a new King. It'll be anarchy there soon, dog eat dog, believe me."

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"The Order Imperial doesn't even understand what they fear." She waves her hand dismissively. "Listen to what I've said to the gnome. Sure we can do better, but progress isn't always better. You must carefully weigh each step. What have you heroes dealt with? The Zeigfrieds' showed their folly by allowing their own family to overreach into what they didn't understand, and it's consumed them. The demons of Zoot won't leave them alone. And now they plague your whole city. The Temple of Zoot has been opened not once but twice, and the demons released. The very center of your city, a school filled with children, was ripped out of this realm and thrust into the void because a simple farmer opened a book he didn't understand. The island of Moone was sunk, and the Kingdom of one of your Veterans as well. All because people tried to 'do better'. Now, you must stand out of the way. I will go protect my island."

"It is already a dog eat dog world out there, believe me. I have personally dealt with Mephisto, among the other dangers you mentioned. Zed Ziegfried meddled in dark magic as a grasp for power. I do not know much about this Baba, but I have from other heroes that she is power-thirsty as well. When I opened the door to Zoot myself, it was not for power or personal gain, only for justice and freedom for my people. They were sent to the void in the first place because of greed. What we are doing here... it is not for those selfish reasons. Bringing Passion back will not benefit us personally. It is for the greater good, and our employers have already weighed the decision for many years. Perhaps it will even restore some of this order that you speak of."

Hybros sighed. "If I cannot convince you perhaps the Mother will. It is not my place to stop you here and now, but I will do whatever it takes to see this quest through. Do what you must."

"Oh please, your charm makes all the difference." She winks. "Melquiades, believe it or not, isn't so bad looking for a Selkreeth. But it sounds like everyone gets a little something out of this deal except me. Tell you what. I'll go on this little date with Melquiades if you can get your hands on a little something I've heard mention of called the Eye of the Blind. Apparently it's in the room of treasures. I think Melquiades knows that I've got sticky fingers because he won't let me in there."

"Fair enough. Just, there is no way he's going to get me there after talking to you. Know of any other Void Masters that can get me in there? If not, I'll ask Dyric or Hybros."

Hybros sighed. "If I cannot convince you perhaps the Mother will. It is not my place to stop you here and now, but I will do whatever it takes to see this quest through. Do what you must."

Matthias stands stiffly and symbolically aside, wondering only a little what good it will do since there are no doors or hallways. Once Piglina has departed, he faces Hybros. "I wonder what good you think bringing back this Passion will do. I cannot see it, but truly I do not think there is a point in resisting this course of action any more."

Speaking his thoughts out loud and wondering how this will work, the gnome addresses the ether. "Hello? I would like to find Master Arthur, if there is someone listening who can take me to him?"

Round Four Etherial Amethyst

>Purpearl v. Sprite A - Hit (21+24+4=49 Damage, -1 ether)

Sprite B+Sprite C v. Purpearl (48/2-25=0 Damage)

Purpearl -4 health -4 ether

Purpearl continues her battle easily, almost vanquishing a sprite, but running low on ether.

The Enemies

Darkness Sprite A

Level ?? Dark

Health: 16/200

Special: Devilish Time - Adds 1 round to the round count.

Sprite's level is equal to the hero's.

Darkness Sprite B

Level ?? Dark

Health: 65/200

Darkness Sprite C

Level ?? Dark

Health: 65/200

The Hero

21379215826_aefc7acd04_t.jpg

Purpearl Berthadhiell, the Carnival Crusader (Purpearljellyblob)

180 Years Old Female Elven
Mystic Knight

Level 24.66
*Immune to
Earth
Fragile
* *Nimble* *Blinded*

Power Bonus:

Defense:
(16 + 4 + 5)

Health:
29/38
(Base 5 + 24 Levels + 7 Health Bonus - 2 Penalty #102, + 4 Tunic)

Ether:
6/33
(Base 5 + 22 Levels + 4 Bonus #102)

Gold:

GP:

Equipment:
Zelphie's Staff (WP: 21, cannot be imbued with elements, damages undead), Arm Shield (SP:16, shield), Heavy Armour (SP: 5, immune to
Fragile
suitable for suitable for barbarians, knights, dragoons, skirmishers and regulators)
Dastan Helmet (SP: 4, Immune to Earth),
Coathanger (Allows for a second body wear, accessory), Tunic of Elven Acrobat (+4 HP, Provides
Nimble
Effect with 1/3 chance to completely avoid rolls of COUNTER, DAMAGE and Free Hits, torso wear),

Inventory:

Equipment:
Lullaby Wand (WP:8,
Sleep
effect), Crimson Arcanon (Wand WP:3), Chaotic Whip (WP: 5,
Darkness
Elemental), Thorny Rose (WP: 17,
wood
-elemental, deals the
Poisoned
by 3 effect, mace), Crescent Shield (SP: 7, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Crocodile Handbag (Max Ether +2; accessory), Aventine's Tricorne (SP: 3, Immunity to
Fire
),
Dastan Greatsword (WP: 10, +2 WP for all other Dastan Equipment), Dastan Armor (SP: 3 Bodywear, Immune to Earth and Fire, +2 SP for all other Dastan Equipment, Suitable for Knights, Regulators, Winged Warriors, Dragoons, and Vindicators),
Enchanted Braclet (Protects from Sealed Effect,
hand wear),
Stingy Gloves (Prevents the wearer from having gold stolen,
hand wear), Cloak of the Grand Vizier (SP: 1, multiplied by the number of party members,
back wear),
Prismatic Focus (Wearer can cast two spells in one round; suitable to mages, necromancers and weather mages; accessory.)

Spell Items:
Ruby (
Fire
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Amethyst (
Darkness
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Diamond (
Light
), Garnet (Earth), Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Electrical Warding (1/2 chance to make the target immune to electric for the duration of one battle at the cost of 1 ether)

Consumables:
Potion, 8 Grand Tonics, Remedy, Tiger Balm, 4 Mead, Ambrosia, 5 Venoms, Deadly Venom, Raw Sushi (Restores 5 Health and 5 Ether when consumed), 2 Tasty Pretzels (1/3 chance each of granting lucky, hastened and encouraged-effects upon consumption), Tinyshroom, 2 Level Up Mushroom, 3 Bone, Skeleton Decoy, Ice Bomb,
Nostrum

Decamon Deck:
Lucky Rabbit (Icy 1), Scarab (Rock 1), Barghest (Electric 2), Automaton (Electric 5)

Tools:
Bedroll, Shovel, Magnifying Glass

Hoke and Torc both had to fight the urge to pounce when they saw a bearded skeleton with flaming crimson eyes. Having realized this was indeed Cpt Iceborn, Hoke introduces himself and Torc.

"Hoke Ablesword, sir, and my draconic companion Torc. I have heard you may have interest for dealings with the Cold Circle. On a quest recently, I ran across a few of the Circle's acolytes and acquired this," Hoke says as shows Iceborn the Used Summoning Amulet,"From what I understand it was once used to summon a mighty sea beast. Can you tell if it is of any more use or could be recharged?"

The Ancient Nord investigates the Amulet, skipping a personal introduction.

IMG_2376_zpshkvyo22y.jpg

"Hm, not Cold Circle make, they must have acquired it. It can be recharged, but if the thing it should summon is dead, won't be much use to you. Might be able to turn it into something else, if you leave it with me for a while." He looks at it more carefully. "What're you looking to get out of it?"

"It is already a dog eat dog world out there, believe me. I have personally dealt with Mephisto, among the other dangers you mentioned. Zed Ziegfried meddled in dark magic as a grasp for power. I do not know much about this Baba, but I have from other heroes that she is power-thirsty as well. When I opened the door to Zoot myself, it was not for power or personal gain, only for justice and freedom for my people. They were sent to the void in the first place because of greed. What we are doing here... it is not for those selfish reasons. Bringing Passion back will not benefit us personally. It is for the greater good, and our employers have already weighed the decision for many years. Perhaps it will even restore some of this order that you speak of."

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"Great. Sure we'll be seeing each other soon then." She calls out a name the heroes don't recognize, and she's zapped out of the room.

I slowly approach Guffington, Chauncy and Hope.

I hope I'm not interrupting anything.

All three turn to face Dyric, giving amicable smiles.

dd06a5a8-e14d-4477-9790-c851f5cc00bd_zpsa0380a64.jpg

"Not at all. What can we do for you?"

"Fair enough. Just, there is no way he's going to get me there after talking to you. Know of any other Void Masters that can get me in there? If not, I'll ask Dyric or Hybros."

"Personally I don't. If you're looking for a different Void Master, I think Piglina would be the one to see about that." She smiles brightly. "Make me proud!"

Matthias stands stiffly and symbolically aside, wondering only a little what good it will do since there are no doors or hallways. Once Piglina has departed, he faces Hybros. "I wonder what good you think bringing back this Passion will do. I cannot see it, but truly I do not think there is a point in resisting this course of action any more."

Speaking his thoughts out loud and wondering how this will work, the gnome addresses the ether. "Hello? I would like to find Master Arthur, if there is someone listening who can take me to him?"

Matthias waits awkwardly for a full minute before Melquiades materializes.

IMG_2572_zpsb0esaj6g.jpg

"You'd do better to call my name," says the Void Master with a wink. "Just dropped your friend at Bombast's. We can head there now."

He grabs hold of Matthias and a few seconds later the two appear alongside Arthur and Miirym in Bombast's office.

Matthias nods to Bombast, Regulus Ziegfried, and the dragon and realizes he's arrived just at the start of their conversation. "Sorry to interrupt;" the gnome addresses the dragoon, "I wanted to ask you about the man, Passion."

IMG_2563_zpsg3qx95m3.jpg

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"...will plunge our very own island into chaos..."

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"Why must we always be the police? How can everyone else be so foolish? I'll help of course. But you'll owe me, understand?" Bombast waters the plants, and the image wavers, flickers.

IMG_2377_zpslamfdtiw.jpg

"...to act!"

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"I seem to recall a time when you would never offer such help..."

IMG_2564_zpsxar62bkc.jpg

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"Hello again, Arthur! What can I do for you?"

"Greetings, Master Bombast. How's the weather?"

Miirym glares at Arthur.

"...what? Oh come on, I got it too when I practiced, it's an occupational hazard of being a mage of meteorological matters."

Miirym rolls her eyes at Arthur, but can't quite hide her own smirk of amusement.

Arthur smiles, then looks back to Bombast. "I've been thinking about what you said when we briefly met earlier. Or, well, earlier-ish. And while I'm afraid that me abandoning Miirym to go back to weather wizardry, I did manage to mull over a potential alternative." Arthur glances at Miirym. "As Arch-Meteorologistrate of Etheria, I'm sure you've had many an apprentice--my Aunt Merryweather among them, I'm sure, assuming you were Arch-Meteorologistrate when she and my mother trained here in their respective fields. However, I wonder...would you know how to train a dragon in the art of weather manipulation?"

Miirym shows a sudden, keen interest. "<Me?>"

"Why not? Sure, it is likely you'd be limited to the element of your breath, but from what I've seen of your power it is not unlike my old Darkness spells. Even the thick, foglike form it takes seems ideal for creating a Dim weather condition--."

He grabs hold of Matthias and a few seconds later the two appear alongside Arthur and Miirym in Bombast's office.

Matthias nods to Bombast, Regulus Ziegfried, and the dragon and realizes he's arrived just at the start of their conversation. "Sorry to interrupt;" the gnome addresses the dragoon, "I wanted to ask you about the man, Passion."

"Hold that thought, please," Arthur says to Bombast.

Arthur leans against Miirym and strokes his stubbly lip for a moment, lost in thought. He slowly slides down the dragon's side until he is sitting on the floor. "Passion was...a noble man. He could be harsh, and hard to read, but you could tell he genuinely wanted to make things better. He was wise, but blunt, and honorable--he never asked for any risk or sacrifice that he himself was not willing to make. I remember when we found him, in the Valley of Ennon. Wren--Dark Lady, chaomancer, former Hero of Heroica--and her compatriot had petrified him in stone for seven years, but even standing there, weak, injured, having been suspended for the better part of a decade on the verge of life and death, he stood by our side, willing to risk further injury and use the last of his dwindling Ether supply to try to support and heal us as best he could. He always saw the best in people, too. He blamed himself for Wren choosing to act as a villain, because he'd wanted so desperately for her to make the better choice." Arthur thinks for a few moments, choosing his words to Matthias carefully, precisely. "He was very mysterious about the whole 'Old Gods' thing, yes. But to be honest, I think a lot of it is because he didn't want to misuse his power. As I understand it, those three somehow...draw energy from the emotions of others, or at least the emotions for which they're named. When we met his brother, Regret mentioned that Wren's passion for Chaos would have fed Passion far better than us mere Heroes. But he chose to help us make a better world anyway. And that speaks volumes." Arthur's head drifts back for a moment as he reminisces, awash in painful memories. "But you know, more than anything else...Passion was sad. He'd lived too long, seen too many ill things, things that wounded him to his very core. You could see it in his eyes." Arthur looks into Matthias' eyes. "I can see it in your eyes, too. Passion once told Haldor--if you were in Baltarok, I suppose you've met him?--anyway, he told Haldor that a leader must stand aloof, and that they lead lonely and sad lives. And that's the kind of life he led. Always giving of himself, never asking for anything, nor even respect, in return. Always putting everyone, anyone, before himself. That's just who he was."

"The night he died...I made a lot of mistakes. And maybe Dyric's right, maybe I'm not directly responsible for his demise. But either way you look at it, I still let him down. He didn't...deserve what happened to him. And now his knowledge, his secrets, could be the key to preventing an even bigger catastrophe. Maybe I'm being a little selfish, trying to make up for things I can't change. But something is coming, you can practically feel events building towards a climax. I don't know how to deal with it, Hope doesn't know how to deal with it, no one alive does. But Passion steered us true in taking down Wren, and I'd trust him to do the same in dealing with this threat now--whatever it reveals itself to be." Arthur shrugs. "Does that help answer a few questions, Master Matthias?"

The Ancient Nord investigates the Amulet, skipping a personal introduction.

IMG_2376_zpshkvyo22y.jpg

"Hm, not Cold Circle make, they must have acquired it. It can be recharged, but if the thing it should summon is dead, won't be much use to you. Might be able to turn it into something else, if you leave it with me for a while." He looks at it more carefully. "What're you looking to get out of it?"

"Mayhaps summoning another powerful ally or creature to aid me in battle? I believe the creature previously connected to the amulet has been killed. Twice now. I will leave it with you then if you think you can do something with it and will return."

Hoke steps back as the skeletal being continues to examine the amulet.

"Melquiades, City Center please."

"Also, would you know anywhere, aside from the Forge Master, where I could get a hold of some standard gems and ethereal gems?"

Edited by UsernameMDM

All three turn to face Dyric, giving amicable smiles.

"Not at all. What can we do for you?"

We've convinced Iceborn not to interfere, for what it's worth. It'll be a while before the other heroes reconvene, though. Everyone's got their own errands, you know how it is.

As for myself, I simply came to talk. We see to have nothing but... time, here on Etheria, and the three of you surely have a wellspring of knowledge. Hope, for instance. You mentioned you've been around since the foundation of many ancient cultures. You, then would have seen the giants in their prime - you may have even seen Duplovia and it's walls under construction! I can't even fathom-

*ahem* I merely wished to come and say that I meant no disrespect during our earlier meeting. These are stressful times, and many of the heroes here - including me - have personal stakes in all this. And while I must question some of these motivations, we shouldn't let such business get in the way of future relations. As such...

I reach out my hand towards the group, promoting the shaking of hands.

Dyric Rone.

Hybros closed his eyes after Piglina left. "I am... not sure, to be honest Matthias. Guffington and Daneeka say it will restore order, and if Passion is anything like his sister Hope, well, I guess the world could use the wisdom. The Old Gods do not seem very evil to me..." He opened his eyes waiting for a response, but Matthias was already gone, disappeared into thin air. He cursed under his breath.

"I am liking this place less each minute, I think..."

After calling Melquidas to be taken to the council room, Hybros wandered over to Guts and Felix. "Hello... ehem, we may have a problem. Piglina would seek to undo our efforts... although I am not sure what she has planned. Do you know where the Mother is?"

"Greetings, Master Bombast. How's the weather?"

Miirym glares at Arthur.

"...what? Oh come on, I got it too when I practiced, it's an occupational hazard of being a mage of meteorological matters."

Miirym rolls her eyes at Arthur, but can't quite hide her own smirk of amusement.

Arthur smiles, then looks back to Bombast. "I've been thinking about what you said when we briefly met earlier. Or, well, earlier-ish. And while I'm afraid that me abandoning Miirym to go back to weather wizardry, I did manage to mull over a potential alternative." Arthur glances at Miirym. "As Arch-Meteorologistrate of Etheria, I'm sure you've had many an apprentice--my Aunt Merryweather among them, I'm sure, assuming you were Arch-Meteorologistrate when she and my mother trained here in their respective fields. However, I wonder...would you know how to train a dragon in the art of weather manipulation?"

Miirym shows a sudden, keen interest. "<Me?>"

"Why not? Sure, it is likely you'd be limited to the element of your breath, but from what I've seen of your power it is not unlike my old Darkness spells. Even the thick, foglike form it takes seems ideal for creating a Dim weather condition--."

IMG_2378_zpsp4n3vhuj.jpg

"I could never-" Bombast catches himself. "It's never been done before, training a dragon like that. Hm..." he thinks. "I couldn't do it swiftly. She'd have to stay here on the island with me for a few months at least. But I could give it a shot at least. If anyone could do it, I could. I'm the best Weather Mage on the most magical island in the world, after all."

OoC: You'd have to give her up for a quest. You don't have to decide now, you can make the choice at the end of the quest.

Bombast listens carefully as the two heroes discuss. He strokes his chin. "What's all this now?"

"Mayhaps summoning another powerful ally or creature to aid me in battle? I believe the creature previously connected to the amulet has been killed. Twice now. I will leave it with you then if you think you can do something with it and will return."

Hoke steps back as the skeletal being continues to examine the amulet.

"Melquiades, City Center please."

"Also, would you know anywhere, aside from the Forge Master, where I could get a hold of some standard gems and ethereal gems?"

IMG_2376_zpshkvyo22y.jpg

"You on an island of mages. Everyone has a gem. You just have to figure out how to get your hands on them."

We've convinced Iceborn not to interfere, for what it's worth. It'll be a while before the other heroes reconvene, though. Everyone's got their own errands, you know how it is.

As for myself, I simply came to talk. We see to have nothing but... time, here on Etheria, and the three of you surely have a wellspring of knowledge. Hope, for instance. You mentioned you've been around since the foundation of many ancient cultures. You, then would have seen the giants in their prime - you may have even seen Duplovia and it's walls under construction! I can't even fathom-

*ahem* I merely wished to come and say that I meant no disrespect during our earlier meeting. These are stressful times, and many of the heroes here - including me - have personal stakes in all this. And while I must question some of these motivations, we shouldn't let such business get in the way of future relations. As such...

I reach out my hand towards the group, promoting the shaking of hands.

Dyric Rone.

IMG_2379_zpswpjpoov1.jpg

"Of course." The Mother takes Dyric's hand in her claw. "We all have personal stakes in this. But no hard feelings."

8949d43c-f859-4bb7-86ae-e10059b0f713_zps319efa9b.jpg

"As I've said, never fear expressing your opinion. No one else likes admitting it, but none of us really know what we're doing any more than you. Your guess and gut are as good as ours."

"More or less," says Chauncey with a quiet smile suggesting that perhaps his guess is a little better than Dyric's.

IMG_2379_zpswpjpoov1.jpg

"The giants... yes. I do remember that." Hope smiles slightly, lost in foggy memory. "They were a strong race. The earth shuddered when they walked. And they did have some sort of walled city. I was proud of that." But then she seems to lose the thread. "Do you know them?"

8949d43c-f859-4bb7-86ae-e10059b0f713_zps319efa9b.jpg

"They died out years ago."

IMG_2379_zpswpjpoov1.jpg

"Oh, yes, of course." She turns to Dyric. "But you know their city? Duplovia?" She eyes him with interest. "You're from there. And once wanted to return."

Hybros closed his eyes after Piglina left. "I am... not sure, to be honest Matthias. Guffington and Daneeka say it will restore order, and if Passion is anything like his sister Hope, well, I guess the world could use the wisdom. The Old Gods do not seem very evil to me..." He opened his eyes waiting for a response, but Matthias was already gone, disappeared into thin air. He cursed under his breath.

"I am liking this place less each minute, I think..."

After calling Melquidas to be taken to the council room, Hybros wandered over to Guts and Felix. "Hello... ehem, we may have a problem. Piglina would seek to undo our efforts... although I am not sure what she has planned. Do you know where the Mother is?"

"She's over there talking to Dyric," says Felix as she points out Guffington, Chauncey, the Mother and Dyric. "Not sure exactly how the Hel time works here, but if she's looking to stop us, we may have all the time in the world or just seconds. Think we should be gathering the troops?"

"Passion once told Haldor--if you were in Baltarok, I suppose you've met him?--anyway, he told Haldor that a leader must stand aloof, and that they lead lonely and sad lives. And that's the kind of life he led. Always giving of himself, never asking for anything, nor even respect, in return. Always putting everyone, anyone, before himself. That's just who he was."

"And now his knowledge, his secrets, could be the key to preventing an even bigger catastrophe. ...But something is coming, you can practically feel events building towards a climax. I don't know how to deal with it, Hope doesn't know how to deal with it, no one alive does. But Passion steered us true in taking down Wren, and I'd trust him to do the same in dealing with this threat now--whatever it reveals itself to be."

Bombast listens carefully as the two heroes discuss. He strokes his chin. "What's all this now?"

Matthias figures the weather worker will catch on quick enough, so he cuts right to the chase with Ziegfried. "I hear you saying that Passion was a good man, and I have no need to argue that. I'm trying to figure out though, why go to all this effort to bring him back, in particular? Why not my grandfather? He was as pure a barbering gnome as there ever was, Orrick be praised. But no one thinks it's a good idea to bring him back. And if the Old Gods were really just some people who became immortal and took up the positions, what's to stop Hoke from doing it now? Or you? Or me? I'm immortal, that seems like it was the only qualification."

"The other question I have is this: everyone keeps talking about some looming threat to us all, but I don't see it. I don't feel drawn to a climax, I don't feel pressure from anything that is wrong - except that a bunch of people here seem to think Lord Chauncey is a swell guy. Maybe it's because I'm a young hero," the gnome catches himself - he's not that new to the business any more - "but I don't think there's all that much to be afraid of. The Wren person was done with long before my time and our walk through Baltarok showed just how much progress has been made there; I don't know what you saw in Dastan, but everything seems pretty alright to me. Why is everyone so afraid? What is there to fear that makes us want to resurrect someone long dead?"

IMG_2379_zpswpjpoov1.jpg

"Oh, yes, of course." She turns to Dyric. "But you know their city? Duplovia?" She eyes him with interest. "You're from there. And once wanted to return."

I called it home, once. Eubric is home now, but it'd be a very blatant lie if I said I wasn't fond of the old city.

I think for a moment, trying to recall a conversation from when I first arrived on Etheria. It seemed both a moment and an eternity ago.

Hope, what can you tell me about the Memory Keeper?

"She's over there talking to Dyric," says Felix as she points out Guffington, Chauncey, the Mother and Dyric. "Not sure exactly how the Hel time works here, but if she's looking to stop us, we may have all the time in the world or just seconds. Think we should be gathering the troops?"

"I would like to see what she thinks first. She would know Piglina better than anyone, but I do not know what she will do. Our priority is protecting these artifacts. I have two, and I suppose Matthias has the others. The last I saw him he went to wherever Arthur is." He nodded to motion for Felix and Guts to follow him. He stood next to Dyric and addressed the Mother.

"I am sorry to interrupt, but I think your friend Piglina will try to stop all this somehow. Hope, what do you think she will do? How should we prepare?"