Sign in to follow this  
Shakar

Sharpies

Some time ago I stumbled across this. I was amazed: an ugly fleshie could have been turned into a classic, yellow skinned, minifig. Thing is, believe it or not, I never heard of these sharpies before. Before I go out to buy some, could you answer my questions?

1)Can you really achieve this? I mean, is the tip sharp enough to colour around such small lines like the face's scares and other details?

2)Is the yellow really that similar to Lego's?

3)The colour is permanent, right?

Thanks in advance.

Shakar

Some time ago I stumbled across this. I was amazed: an ugly fleshie could have been turned into a classic, yellow skinned, minifig. Thing is, believe it or not, I never heard of these sharpies before. Before I go out to buy some, could you answer my questions?

1)Can you really achieve this? I mean, is the tip sharp enough to colour around such small lines like the face's scares and other details?

2)Is the yellow really that similar to Lego's?

3)The colour is permanent, right?

Thanks in advance.

Shakar

1) I don't see why not. Technically, I don't think they went around the scars, I think they literally just went yellow over everything except the white pupils. I mean, can you really turn black any other colour? So hitting some of the black shouldn't matter. It'd be impossible to get that close without hitting.

2) No clue. It isn't even just the yellow, it's how the yellow tints the flesh colour that matters.

3) Very.

Is that colorfast? Sharpies stain everything around them. I wonder if they would rub off eventually, in the meantime, probably stain all of your hats and hairpieces... :-/

Is that colorfast? Sharpies stain everything around them. I wonder if they would rub off eventually, in the meantime, probably stain all of your hats and hairpieces... :-/

Nope, they're yellow sharpies (not highlighters). They're hard to find by themselves, your best bet would be to get one at an art supplies store. I recently got two, and it works like a dream. The color is slightly off, but barely noticeable. very slightly darker.

I have recently added some decals to a MOC and I highlighted the decal with a sharpie. I began to brush over the decal with the semi-gloss clear coat used for model cars & trains. As I brushed over the decal, the red color began to run and turn orange. I highly recommend thinking about the marker idea for two reasons. 1) If you plan to coat over the area you highlighted, the marker will not work. You will run into the same results I did. 2) The highlighted area will also begin to rub off if handled over and over. The color will bleed onto your hands and then to what other areas you work on next.

My suggestion to you is I would use model paint before using a sharpie. Go down to your local hobby store/model store and compare Lego yellow with the variety of paints available. This is what I am up against too. I see no harm in using model paint. Think of it as decorating your MOC's like TLC decorates bricks. There really is no difference. Good luck and Model On!!

I've never had real Sharpie come off anything. Highlighters and lesser brands sure, but not the real deal.

As for paint, you might as well just start with a new head at that point, since you'll lose all of the detail anyway. No one has a steady enough hand to outline the existing detail on one without hitting some of the black areas.

Don't get me wrong, I still think this is a rotten idea, I'm a purist and never mod anything, but I don't see why it wouldn't work out. If I did ever try doing something custom, I'd go water slide decal on blank parts.

I've never had real Sharpie come off anything. Highlighters and lesser brands sure, but not the real deal.

Really? I've used a black sharpie on some of my Lego before (:-$) and it did rub off after a bit.

Really? I've used a black sharpie on some of my Lego before (:-$) and it did rub off after a bit.

Never tried it on LEGO, anything is possible. I use them to label discs and haven't had any come off so far.

I do know that I bought a huge lot of misc minifig parts on eBay once that included a figure with what appeared to be sharpie on it. In this case, the person had taken a brown head, torso and legs and drawn a little nude guy. *wacko* Alcohol took the ink off, but it took some effort. Didn't hurt the figure any, at least.

Not to be racist or anything, but can a brown sharpie be used to turn a head darker-skinned? I just can't find those heads from the basketball line anymore :sceptic:

Not to be racist or anything, but can a brown sharpie be used to turn a head darker-skinned? I just can't find those heads from the basketball line anymore :sceptic:

How is that rascist? :wacko: And no, I think it'll cover the pattern on the face as well. :oh3:

And wow, a two year bump! :grin: Does anyone else think this might be a new record? :oh:

How is that rascist? :wacko: And no, I think it'll cover the pattern on the face as well. :oh3:

And wow, a two year bump! :grin: Does anyone else think this might be a new record? :oh:

No i think: finally, somebody that uses the search function! :laugh:

I have seen these in many stores in the UK. I'll be getting some soon to customize some clone troopers, but will it rub off? The plastic is shiny and smooth so I figured it would. Anyone done this? :look: A guy on youtube uses them for his clones and they turn out pretty good! :thumbup:

I have seen these in many stores in the UK. I'll be getting some soon to customize some clone troopers, but will it rub off? The plastic is shiny and smooth so I figured it would. Anyone done this? :look: A guy on youtube uses them for his clones and they turn out pretty good! :thumbup:

I never tried using Sharpies on LEGO, but if you use it on hard plastics, it can come off if you use soap and stuff. :wink:

A few months ago, I remember seeing a five year bump (2004 -> 2009) in the Star Wars forum. :tongue: Edited by ILikePi