Sign in to follow this  
def

Pelly's Paradise Day One: Huh?

If that is the case, the person we lynch should always tell us what their costume does before they die. That is, if they are town.

I don't really see how this will help town, rather it will help scum to know what town has lost.

I don't really see how this will help town, rather it will help scum to know what town has lost.

I don't follow your logic. You are saying that it is to the towns advantage not to know what they have left? Later in the game, chances are that the scum have used the lost piece anyway, and know what it does. If the town were to lose, say, the piece that holds the investigator role, and the scum had used the piece (and therefore knew what role it held), the town would be in the dark, and the scum could claim all sorts of things and not have to worry about getting caught. Do you see what I'm saying?

Check that, I do follow your logic, but I think mine is a bit better.

If that is the case, the person we lynch should always tell us what their costume does before they die. That is, if they are town.

This is correct.

Keep in mind that everyone is taking a costume - this isn't a "town night actions vs. scum" game; everyone's in it together. Being out in the open about the costumes at least at this point will give us more info with which to catch scum (or at the very least not be fooled).

Day One lynch revealing their costume is especially key - it's totally possible that we'll lynch an important costume (like a cop or a vigilante) and spend a lot of time in succeeding days wondering where it is.

Just curious, but why not choose your own hat?

Cause I wanted to experience hair! My armor is awesome and all, but it's not a full head of awesome hair. I hope to try out other hair during this game and find some that I like. No reason I couldn't glue a wig on my helmet...

Yes. The scum will learn the costumes quickly since they can share with each other and so they'll learn probably 4-5 a day (dunno exactly how many scum there are). We need to balance that somewhat by sharing what one does if you're being lynched. If it's nothing, great, we're not losing anything. If it's something powerful, maybe we reconsider the lynch. It's no different than people claiming if they're a PR about to be lynched.

Yes. The scum will learn the costumes quickly since they can share with each other and so they'll learn probably 4-5 a day (dunno exactly how many scum there are). We need to balance that somewhat by sharing what one does if you're being lynched. If it's nothing, great, we're not losing anything. If it's something powerful, maybe we reconsider the lynch. It's no different than people claiming if they're a PR about to be lynched.

Agreed.

Also, if nearly-lynched people reveal their costumes and the other players choose to let them live, that could end up being a plus for town - the costume will still be available for town if it's truly needed, but anyone who picks it will effectively give away a whole lot more details as to their actual alliance.

But what I'm afraid of it that someone will start a lynch based on costume, not on the player. Say, for example, War Machine's armor is a vig role. Do we lynch whoever is wearing the costume to ascertain that a PR that might be in the hands of scum is avoided?

I think I'm reading too much into this, but anything's possible in these games.

But what I'm afraid of it that someone will start a lynch based on costume, not on the player. Say, for example, War Machine's armor is a vig role. Do we lynch whoever is wearing the costume to ascertain that a PR that might be in the hands of scum is avoided?

I'm keeping my mind open to the possibility of the costumes being related to the roles, but I'm intentionally reminding myself that that may very well not be the case.

If I remember rightly, there was no relation between role and costume back in Cosplay I. Of course, this is a different game, and it may also have different internal logic...

I'm keeping my mind open to the possibility of the costumes being related to the roles, but I'm intentionally reminding myself that that may very well not be the case.

The town has no PRs (This was stated in the "story" section), so I would assume some of the costumes have to have some form of ability.

11. Magneto's Awesome Helmet Zepher

12. Flash's Lightning Cowl Walter Kovacs

13. Joker's Silly Green Hair mostlytechnic

14. Superman's Pompadour

15. Mary Jane's Locks Fhomess

16. Iron Patriot's Helmet Mencot

17. War Machine's Similar Helmet

18. Egon's Proton Pack Shadows

19. The Lone Ranger's White Hat jluck

20. Storm's Lightning Lego Spy

Hopefully that's right, it was the last copy I found.

As for costumes and roles being related, I don't see any chance of that, it goes against the natural order of these things.

I'd be shocked if any of the costumes were a kill ability. Cop/watcher/blocker/etc, sure. But vig? Don't think so.

The town has no PRs (This was stated in the "story" section), so I would assume some of the costumes have to have some form of ability.

You didn't read carefully. It says "Yes, if you haven't figured it out, you are all vanilla. Well, except the ones of you who aren't." So I am assuming that we still have a permanent vig. Having vig as a costume that the scum could steal would make them overpowered.

I suppose the "ones of you who aren't" could just mean scum and third party (serial killer?), but the town's gotta have a vig as well.

The town has no PRs...

In addition to what mostlytechnic pointed out:

Third-party (neutral) characters have their own win conditions as outlined in their roles.

So, there's definitely at least one PR*, of some kind - the question is what kind.

*Or else it would be rather pointless to include it in the rules.

As for costumes and roles being related, I don't see any chance of that, it goes against the natural order of these things.

Mostly full agreement - but then again, def might expect us to expect that, and pull a fast one and base roles on costumes.

Or I could just be going paranoid... :wacko:

Agreed.

Also, if nearly-lynched people reveal their costumes and the other players choose to let them live, that could end up being a plus for town - the costume will still be available for town if it's truly needed, but anyone who picks it will effectively give away a whole lot more details as to their actual alliance.

The risk to this of course if the person is not lynched based on the costume piece they have, then it opens them up to be the scum night kill target and town still loses it.

I understand why it might be a good idea for a lynched person to reveal the piece as their last post.

The risk to this of course if the person is not lynched based on the costume piece they have, then it opens them up to be the scum night kill target and town still loses it

But at least it'd slow scum killings down, by significantly influencing them to kill that player, instead of someone else. And if they don't kill that player, it might be a hint as to the player's actual alliance...

As the last thing left, Stickfig gets the pompadour.

11. Magneto's Awesome Helmet Zepher

12. Flash's Lightning Cowl Walter Kovacs

13. Joker's Silly Green Hair mostlytechnic

14. Superman's Pompadour Stickfig

15. Mary Jane's Locks Fhomess

16. Iron Patriot's Helmet Mencot

17. War Machine's Similar Helmet Tamamono

18. Egon's Proton Pack Shadows

19. The Lone Ranger's White Hat jluck

20. Storm's Lightning Lego Spy

Voting starts in a few hours, right? How should we play thisarrow-10x10.png? A no-lynch (considering we have basically no evidence)?

Eh, maybe something will happen between then and now.

No-lynches are never good play.

I concur.

But at least it'd slow scum killings down, by significantly influencing them to kill that player, instead of someone else. And if they don't kill that player, it might be a hint as to the player's actual alliance...

Good thinking, Gandalf.

As the last thing left, Stickfig gets the pompadour.

Which is funny, because it was his to start out with.

I agree with everyone who says a No Lynch is a bad idea.

I was originally going to focus in on those who chose ties that weren't theirs, even though their items were available. They've all stepped forward and given their reasoning, and we've gotten some much needed discussion from it.

The one thing that really sticks out is JJP's suggestion for a No Lynch. Anyone that actually read the rules would see this suggestion as ludicrous.

This seems to be, what's the phrase, "scum or dumb"?

So which is it? Did you wander almost 20 hours into this game without actually understanding the rules, or were you trying to lull some unobservant Townies into some undeserved penalty votes?

It's not much, and could actually be nothing, but I'm looking at Jack as a possible candidate for today's lynch.

The one thing that really sticks out is JJP's suggestion for a No Lynch. Anyone that actually read the rules would see this suggestion as ludicrous.

So which is it? Did you wander almost 20 hours into this game without actually understanding the rules, or were you trying to lull some unobservant Townies into some undeserved penalty votes?

It's not much, and could actually be nothing, but I'm looking at Jack as a possible candidate for today's lynch.

After my mistake earlier, and the speed with which you jumped to ask if I was scum, I was starting to wonder the possibility about you being scum, but that's a good point about the penalty votes.

Granted, I hadn't thought of the consequences of a no-vote, so it could very well just be that JJP is town and also didn't think of the consequences, but it's still a point worth noting... :look:

I'll be interested to hear what JJP has to say in response.

Advocating for a no-lynch when the rules specifically don't allow for such an action is either, as has been said, scum or dumb. But which one is it? I'm watching you, Mary Jane.

I agree with this. I don't see any reason to take what the costume does to your grave, since it can't be used anyway in later days.

This is advantageous for the town, though. If we know that there's a killing costume, and someone immediately lunges for the killing costume, that says a lot about their motives.

Okay, sue me Walter, but I'm looking into you as a possible lynch candidate. let's look at your posts:

I'm kinda curious as to what my own headpiece does. I think I'll wait for the second set of selections.

Okay, nothing wrong with this one, just a bit fluffy.

Tammo and I must have posted pretty close to each other. War Machine's helmet should be gone from my list. That only leaves two items (Egon's pack and Superman's hair).

Since we are coming up on voting time, I suppose we should start talking about how to go about voting.

As usual, this will be a messy and almost baseless Day 1 lynch. There has been very little idle chit-chat, which usually is what Day 1 lynches are based on. With everyone focused only on their headgear, we are left with less to go on than a typical Day 1 start. This has to favor the scum among us.

The only thing I can think of is who selected which items. But since all of the items have unknown properties, I can't see how that would help. preference for one item over another won't be significant until we get a feel for which items have the cool abilities.

There was jLuck's trying to grab two items. :sceptic: I guess that could be construed as suspicious. Or just not understanding the rules.

Crap. Strike that. It was Lind Whisperer who tried to double up. Greedy bastard. :laugh:

Sorry jluck, didn't mean to drag your good name through the mud. :blush:

Okay, first of all, most of this post is just restating something we already know. Classic scum. Then you seem to hint that Lind making what I would call an obvious mistake is somehow scummy. Then more fluff.

I understand how you came to choose your hat. The one you wanted wasn't available. But what about those whose items were available but they didn't choose it? Or chose off of the first list, when their item was destined to be on the second? Is there any significance to that? Probably not, but there might be.
Just curious, but why not choose your own hat?

In these two, you try to re-enforce your supposed townie-ness by suggesting that anyone who didn't choose their own hat was scum. This is the perfect thing to hint at if you were scum because it makes you seem even more innocent while creating the illusion of helpfulness. And last, but not least, you are making something minuscule into something big, possibly to cause derailment of actually progress, and to confuse us.

I agree with everyone who says a No Lynch is a bad idea.

I was originally going to focus in on those who chose ties that weren't theirs, even though their items were available. They've all stepped forward and given their reasoning, and we've gotten some much needed discussion from it.

You start out with restating something obvious. Then you say that everyone has stepped forward and given their reasoning, which is not true, only Lind gave his (wimpy) reasoning, MT gave sarcasm and nobody else responded. You then go after an easy target because of a likely newbie mistake.

Maybe my logic sucks, maybe not. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

This is advantageous for the town, though. If we know that there's a killing costume, and someone immediately lunges for the killing costume, that says a lot about their motives.

Exactly my point.

Voting is open. Voting is mandatory. It is not about reaching majority. Top votes gets lynches. Participation is mandatory :sweet:

I'll be interested to hear what JJP has to say in response.

I merely was exploring our options here, however impossible/hated they may be, they are still options. I'm not pushing for a no-lynch at all, just tossing up the possibility (which, as we all see, is not a very popular one).

Lind put it best - I really didn't think of the consequences, as I only would if it became a serious consideration for today.

Advocating for a no-lynch when the rules specifically don't allow for such an action is either, as has been said, scum or dumb. But which one is it? I'm watching you, Mary.

(Sorry, sorry, didn't read the rules. I assumed they'd be the same as always. Dumb it is. :sceptic: )

How would we all know the properties of a costume, though?

And as for Brick's analysis, the only thing I find particularly suspicious about Walter is his suspicion of those who didn't choose their own hat. It just seems like a such a tiny detail for someone to stress over this early. None of us know what each costume does, so what's the difference between choosing my own hair or someone else's?

I've played with Jack before, and he does this kind of thing as Town. Not dismissing his comments, but his suggestion of a No Lynch is a perfect example of how he plays. It's not really alignment indicative, coming from him.

In these two, you try to re-enforce your supposed townie-ness by suggesting that anyone who didn't choose their own hat was scum. This is the perfect thing to hint at if you were scum because it makes you seem even more innocent while creating the illusion of helpfulness. And last, but not least, you are making something minuscule into something big, possibly to cause derailment of actually progress, and to confuse us.

You start out with restating something obvious. Then you say that everyone has stepped forward and given their reasoning, which is not true, only Lind gave his (wimpy) reasoning, MT gave sarcasm and nobody else responded. You then go after an easy target because of a likely newbie mistake.

Maybe my logic sucks, maybe not. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

That pinged me too, I have to admit. The notion is completely ridiculous, yet it had the possibility of confusing and befuddling newer players into thinking it was true. The reasoning bit is arguably scummier; funnily enough I seem to remember a talking pear tree doing exactly the same thing in another... game long ago, where The Flash was host. We lynched this tree and he turned up Scum...

Brickelodeon, what 'actual progress' could I have possibly derailed? From what I was reading, no one was giving any sort of theories on how to draw out the scum.

Yes, I focused on some of the minutiae from earlier today. It's usually those small details where scum slip up.