Sign in to follow this  
red

megablocks vs lego

*Dont hurt me if there is already a topic like this :P* I have noticed on other lego forums, that if you bring up "megablocks* it makes everyone mad. I know they might be a "cheap imitation of lego" but really, would it be so bad if you got some megablocks pieces to make a MOC? They are a lot cheaper. I had just been thinking of this recently, I myself only have lego pieces, and I want to know what all of you think.

megabloks are REALLY cheap imitations that don't even stay together. Its pathetic. Besides, who in their right mind would mix Lego products and megabloks!? I can't even fathom that! :-X

*sing* Hurray for MegaBloks! 8-|

Na, seriously, I

You can make MOCs out of M&g@Bl^cks all you want.... put please don't post them here. Personally I don't even think they are that cheaper; the larger sets may be cheaper but in many cases there are less parts, or parts that are overly textured and thus hard to use.

Oi, this'l turn into a flame fest fast.

Me, I don't hate them or anything, though I certainly wouldn't use them in a MOC, but that's just the purist in me talking.

Let's set everything out on the table:

Lego:

-More expensive

-Higher quality (well...used to be...)

MB:

-Clone Brand

-cheaper

-different parts

-Lower quality

-a lot of <insert that tiresome argument> parts

Now that isn't to say Megablocks are useless, space MOCist nienn makes some really creative and amazing MOCs with them (and I suggest you look him up).

Both have their faults and their good points. This is for discussion of those points, so keep it friendly, okay?

Not that Lego's quality has gone down in my opinon, but I have noticed some mistakes, i.e. recieving wrong peice with set. That has happened to me TWICE in my life, and both of those times were maybe 3 months ago. I have not had any problems since, but at least Lego's stay together. ;-)

EDIT: Actually, that has happened to we THREE times. The third time was with my re-released gaurded inn, when I received a horse with an indian pattern, intead of a plain whitte one. Now THAT is weird!

Edited by SirNadroj

I (of course) like Lego a LOT better than Megablocks.... Why? I've mostly got the same reasons as you guys...

So:

lego-logo-179_ger.gif = *sweet* *y* *y* *y*

Logo_megablocks.jpg = :-X *n* *n* *n*

X-D ;-)

... and of course, the 'shaped' Lego pieces are a lot more use than the 'shaped' MB pieces. As in, MB pieces are often overshaped, while Lego pieces are useful simple shapes- curves, slopes, etc.

I'd find an example, but I don't want to search for an image of an MB piece... :-D

And, actually, I've just thought of something else. A few years ago, MB started to make something called 'Micro' sets, perhaps in an attempt to reach microscale builders. I know this as they were everywhere, all over my local Woolworths and Home Bargains (didn't they do well! ;-) ). But whereas Lego built micro models out of existing pieces, all MB did was shrink the sizes of existing pieces to a new scale. Now, that's kind of cheating is it not?

<cheesy announcer voice with echo effect> Toniiiiiight we bring you a 5 round duel to the death-eth-eth-eth! The world champion-yun-yun-yun ... LEEEEEEEEEEEGOOOOOOOOOO! The challenger ... Oh, I can't say it, we all know it's junk unk unk unk. Ok guys, cut the echo, it's getting annoying-ing-ing-ing. I said stop it NOW-ow-ow-ow! *storms out of the arena* </cheesy announcer voice with echo effect>

I swear, the voices in my head are getting louder. *wacko*

On topic: Blech.

*announcer pokes head back in* You could say a bit more than that-at-at-at ... GRRR.

Fine. I would never mix the two. I have never purchased a megablok unless it was mistakenly mixed into another purchase (ebay...) and I promptly sort them out. At this stage, I'm filling a box with them until I determine a suitable disposition for them.

As for the hate or animosity displayed... It's a LEGO forum. We're LEGO people. A few will cross that line, and we don't burn them at the stake anymore, but anything primarily consisting of the other brand should probably be shared in a place where likeminded people meet. Much better chance of approval and acceptance.

Or, as Wuhrer so clearly said, "We don't serve their kind here."

Great. Now the voices are doing impressions.

I have never purchased a megablok unless it was mistakenly mixed into another purchase (ebay...) and I promptly sort them out. At this stage, I'm filling a box with them until I determine a suitable disposition for them.

Sell them at a car boot sale or something. You might get a bit for them. Not as much as if it was Lego, perhaps, but still a bit. Any money is good money, right?

You can make MOCs out of M&g@Bl^cks all you want.... put please don't post them here.

Good thing I don't have any mega blocks than :-P The only reason I brought up this topic is; At stores around where I live now, there are more mega block sets than lego for some crazy, inconvenient reason. So, I was thinking, either lego went totally downhill, or mega blocks are actually being made better, or both.

Good thing I don't have any mega blocks than :-P The only reason I brought up this topic is; At stores around where I live now, there are more mega block sets than lego for some crazy, inconvenient reason. So, I was thinking, either lego went totally downhill, or mega blocks are actually being made better, or both.

Gotta agree that there seems to be far more outlets selling MB than Lego. Still wouldn't convince me to buy any though

Gotta agree that there seems to be far more outlets selling MB than Lego. Still wouldn't convince me to buy any though

Never mind 'far more.' You might as well have said 'every store.' It certainly seems that way.

I throw out any megablocks that I find (e.g., when I buy Lego at a yard sale). On the other hand, I think that if other people want to incorporate them into their MOC's, then that's fine. There was an interview about something like this in the last BrickJournal.

Edited by Paradosis

I definitly *wub* Lego bricks & sets so much better than Megablocks. But I bought the Megablocks Ford GT model 4 years ago. The reason was it is a cheap model and I thought the look was very *sweet* . I do not mix them myself but if you want to, I see no reason for a debate. I would like to see TLC design models similar to some of the Megablocks models. What I like about the Megablock models is the realism they have. If TLC designed more Ferrari's or other models with the solid look, then I would think it was *sweet* . But TLC cuts corners and uses technic paneling for most. I think the look of the technic panels are :-X . Model Team was an excellent line for TLC. I really liked the looks of those models, REALISM. As for MOC's, I leave that up to the modeler. Parts are parts I would say, but I am Lego all the way. Model On!!

I don't get it, I like MB for the fact that if your stuck for alot of bricks of the same colour when buildig MB offers the solution. CHEAP!!

We bought the KittyHawk aircraft carrier and two destroyers and now we have more than a thousand gray bricks. I just love it. :) I still however prefer using MB on the insides and lego on the outside for the finishing touches. :-D :-D :-D

At this stage, I'm filling a box with them until I determine a suitable disposition for them.

I give mine to my kids! X-D

The only reason I brought up this topic is; At stores around where I live now, there are more mega block sets than lego for some crazy, inconvenient reason. So, I was thinking, either lego went totally downhill, or mega blocks are actually being made better, or both.

In Australia (which is where I live) there seemed to me to be a lot more M$g#Bl&ks around last year, but it seems back to normal now. I suspect that they tried to increase sales by having a lower profit margin, but it seems to have gone back to normal now. On the other hand I could just be wrong! X-D

I give mine to my kids! X-D

In Australia (which is where I live) there seemed to me to be a lot more M$g#Bl&ks around last year, but it seems back to normal now. I suspect that they tried to increase sales by having a lower profit margin, but it seems to have gone back to normal now. On the other hand I could just be wrong! X-D

In America, that's considered abuse and we call the authorities. Keep that in mind should you ever visit >:-)

As for greater supply, I do think they wholesale them out to stores cheaper, inspiring a greater inventory, but that inventory never looks like it moves. Sometimes having a lot of product in store just means it isn't selling.

megabloks are REALLY cheap imitations that don't even stay together. Its pathetic. Besides, who in their right mind would mix Lego products and megabloks!? I can't even fathom that! :-X
Me, I don't hate them or anything, though I certainly wouldn't use them in a MOC, but that's just the purist in me talking.
I throw out any megablocks that I find (e.g., when I buy Lego at a yard sale). On the other hand, I think that if other people want to incorporate them into their MOC's, then that's fine.
This is a brickderegulated world, so if someone can use them in combination with LEGO bricks

so why not.

In 2001, I came upon a Goodwill store where there were MANY $200 Lego sets being sold as low as $35.

I bought many, and it got me into the Lego hobby.

However, there were also giant Megablock sets, like a spaceship with little aliens and lots of neon green parts, clear purple canopies.

Well, the aliens in that set reminded me of Antron, from the old Micronauts line.

So then looking at the large purple canopies, I decided to make an accompanying Hornetroid. And take my word for it, it kicked much butt when done.

PROBLEM. The Megablock bricks liked to turn white and crack. At nearly every point where Lego and Megablock met, the connection was a weak mess. It had at first been primarily Lego (not on purpose), but it became quickly clear that it was going to be no fun at all once all the Megablocks were in it... and that's sad, as Lego doesn't have giant, trans-purple canopies.

X D

To this day, I still occasionally find a Megablock hiding in my bins, but they are PROMPTLY thrown out.

So unless their quality has been jacked up a HELL of a lot since 2001... you'd be crazy to mix the 2 brands together.

So unless their quality has been jacked up a HELL of a lot since 2001... you'd be crazy to mix the 2 brands together.

Quality control is MUCH better now than in 2001, especially for the trans-elements. I don't know what the price differential is over in Europe, but in the U.S. Mega and Lego price out about the same. The price leaders today in bricks are Best-Lock and K'nex, both of which are selling bricks for about half what Lego and Mega price at.

As for availability, Lego is continuing to lose market share worldwide. Mega is the sales leader in Spain, England, Canada (duh), and most of south America, where Lego withdrew several years ago. Apparently Lego is now number 3 in the U.K. behind Mega and Knex (which has always been phenominally strong in the U.K.).

Mixingis now more about aesthetics and element shape. Lego consistantly is very shiney when new, but also is softer and scratches more easily than Mega. Mega is non reflective, but comes in more colors and shapes. Best-Lock looks more like Lego but the dimple studs are ugly. K'nex bricks and plates are all uniformly rounded for child safety, which limits their application to weathered surfaces on castles and forts, or perhaps railrail bridge foundations. While the conversion units allow all standard Knex to intergrate seemlessly with Lego, the shapes of rods and connectors severely limit the occasions to run the two in the same Moc.

One thing is for sure, Lego is the original clone brand (clone of the U.K's Kiddiecraft bricks) and many of their elements are essential for general building. If the Lego group didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent it.

One thing is for sure, Lego is the original clone brand (clone of the U.K's Kiddiecraft bricks) and many of their elements are essential for general building.

Ah! But you forget; TLC bought all rights to the Kiddicraft block in 1981, thus TLC is still not a clone... X-D

Ah! But you forget; TLC bought all rights to the Kiddicraft block in 1981, thus TLC is still not a clone... X-D

Kiddicraft? Whats that! X-O