Jonas, your XT version seems to be primarily designed for recirculation mode. If included as part of a larger circuit, is the input hopper still accessible?

Jonas, your XT version seems to be primarily designed for recirculation mode. If included as part of a larger circuit, is the input hopper still accessible?

You are right. In my opinion, the Factory is a sort of an exclusive gem and it works best as a standalone circuit.

In this version, the input hopper could be fed only from behind.

As I promised earlier, I am sending a couple of pictures to show how I made the spiral tower construction more stable.

For me, the weakest point was the platform made of two horizontally laid arches. The platform hovered in the air as the small gap (indicated by the black ellipse) did not allow to place a standard plate there.

spiral-tower-platform.jpg

I used a SNOT technique to get a stronger platform. It allowed me to remove the gap and to fix the superstructure to the studs. Moreover, I used the remaining stud of the 30414 brick to stabilize the tower column by a vertical 1x6 tile. Now, each column is fixed from 3 sides and the tower is really stable. It will survive even an accidental kick.

spiral-tower-platform-new.jpg

And, I added another (third) black pin to strengthen the vertical support (shown on page 186 in Blakbird's manual)

Edited by Jonas

I have also made a small improvement of the ball picker - the part that picks a pair of balls and puts them into a bucket.

It happened quite often that the right ball dropped before it reached the bucket.

When I analyzed the construction of the picker, I noticed that the rightmost axle is significantly looser than the other ones. While the other two rear axles are attached to the rail construction, this one is not and cannot be attached.

In my version, I fastened this axle to the rest of the assembly by replacing a 3L liftarm by an L-shape liftarm (not necessarily in yellow color).

repl-ball-picker.jpg -> repl-ball-picker-new.jpg

Since that time I have not observed any earlier drop.

Edited by Jonas

Interesting, I tried those exact changes on the ball picker as well. In the end the L-shaped liftarm didn't change anything for me though, but the 5L liftarm with axle holes did fasten the balls a little better.

I guess we are all struggling making the ball factory stable and consistent, let's share some of our ideas in making the factory run for more than 5 min. Please share your creative ideas.

Yet another manifestation of ... reliability and complexity do no go hand in hand.

Yet another manifestation of ... reliability and complexity do no go hand in hand.

Positive attitude...Reliability can always be increased by decreasing complexity

Another critical point - at least in my realization - was the the bucket shift mechanism, and namely the rectangular lever. Sometimes, the parts making the lever disconnected and the shift mechanism stopped working. It always was a painful job for my fingers to repair it.

I have made the lever stronger as shown in the picture.

shift-lever.jpg -> shift-lever-new.jpg

It does not look that elegant as the original but it works and it is hidden in the remote corner of the layout.

Edited by Jonas

Another critical point - at least in my realization - was the the bucket shift mechanism, and namely the rectangular lever. Sometimes, the parts making the lever disconnected and the shift mechanism stopped working. It always was a painful job for my fingers to repair it.

I have made the lever stronger as shown in the picture.

It does not look that elegant as the original but it works and it is hidden in the remote corner of the layout.

bucketshifter8nkj70m6ui.png

By any chance, did you build your factory after blakbirds instructions, and did you put those two tiles there? If that is the case, you might want to try removing the inner tile. The bucket shifter seems to run into them, and break the link you improved.

Edited by wumsi

By any chance, did you build your factory after blakbirds instructions, and did you put those two tiles there? If that is the case, you might want to try removing the inner tile. The bucket shifter seems to run into them, and break the link you improved.

I remember this problem from the building phase. Anyway I checked it and it is OK. I used only the outer tile.

Usually, the lever disconnected when buckets got jammed. The problem was that the original lever could get disconnected in four places. Now, when jam occurs, the lever can still be disconnected (and it is good for global protection of the whole mechanism), but it will happen only in one place - the rightmost one - which is well accessible by fingers.

Edited by Jonas

Hi

I intend to show the ball factory in october to some exposition in France

I have made a lot of improvement so the system is now able to run several hours without jam or problems

I have strengthened some part by putting vertical beams where appropriate.

I also facilitate access to every mechanical part so as to facilitate the timing adjustment should it be needeed

Mainly I made big changes in two modules

1) I replace the chain system by transferring the rotate movement to the back of the model and transform the rotation to linear movement with levers.

Forget previous post due to error . I am riposting the whole thing

Hi

I intend to show the ball factory in october to some exposition in France

I have made a lot of improvement so the system is now able to run several hours without jam or problems

I have strengthened some part by putting vertical beams where appropriate.

I also facilitate access to every mechanical part so as to facilitate the timing adjustment should it be needed

Mainly I made big changes in two modules that where source of jamming and malfunctions

1) I replace the chain system by transferring the rotate movement to the back of the model and transform the rotation to linear movement with levers

this way operations of the buckets are more controllable

2) I redesigned completely the ball picker so it operates smoothly. One key point was to change the gear ratio that move the picker. Another was to consolidate the head to improve gliding

Here are some pics

The modulepost-156671-0-55132700-1465492640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johan49

Hi,

Does anyone know how much all the parts cost in total on bricklink? If it is not too pricy I might look in to buying all the parts.

Does anyone know how much all the parts cost in total on bricklink? If it is not too pricy I might look in to buying all the parts.

If you download the Brickstore parts list for any of the modules, it includes a list of the average Bricklink prices.

I've build this 'monster' but it is so big I cannot find a place for it in my house. What is the best place to sell the model (broken apart)?

Thanks Blakbird and The Rebricker. To learn from the it I've build this as my first GBC with the aim to design some GBCs myself. Calibration is a real challenge as the ones know that have build this. Most modifications I did were in the head that picks up the two balls, visible in my video. For fun I added some days from the 60133 advent calendar. Here's my video and thanks for all the info and videos I have seen here.

To Blackbird or anyone else who have build the ball factory.  How important is it to have the 32 Axle on pg 88 on the instruction? Would it work if I used 2 10 axles and 1 12 axle and axle connectors?

Thanks

14 hours ago, smdzucladoc said:

To Blackbird or anyone else who have build the ball factory.  How important is it to have the 32 Axle on pg 88 on the instruction? Would it work if I used 2 10 axles and 1 12 axle and axle connectors?

This axle needs to be able to both push and pull.  If you build it up out of multiple axles and connectors, it is more likely that it would pull apart when in tension.  However, this link already has a #1 connector at one end which seems to work in tension, so you might be OK.

That makes sesnse.  Didn't think about the force being the same direction as the connectors.  Will just get the 32 axle just to be the safe.  Thanks

I have finished building the ball factory and have a question: i get a lot of friction from the initial drive; the first piston that moves the load shifter from left to right doesnt move enough forward/backward for the chain parts to clear it without twisting under the pressure.

I've checked the build, tried setting the piston at different push/pull lengths, but nothing works. Am i missing something? Is this normal? 

The other piston that moves the loader in and out of position works frictionless with enough clearing space. 

Edited by Dragonic