Sign in to follow this  
Hobbes

MOCpages to offer (free) image hosting

thanks for the info hobbes... i really like the interface of MOCpages, and the customization that can be done with it. personally, i would love to use MOCpages as an alternative to BS, as it allows you HTML 8-

i just don't like the current users, honestly.

Sean explains it in the LUGNET thread, the feedback system will change and be controlled by the MOCer. That should stop the destructive feedbacks. Plus a new server - sounds like the most reasonable alternative before 100s of people start their own web galleries that no one would know about. MOCpages is known already, it would just require a bit getting used to the interface...

Sean explains it in the LUGNET thread, the feedback system will change and be controlled by the MOCer. That should stop the destructive feedbacks. Plus a new server - sounds like the most reasonable alternative before 100s of people start their own web galleries that no one would know about. MOCpages is known already, it would just require a bit getting used to the interface...

Very good and interesting news, thanks a lot Hobbes and Sean! *sweet* *y*

thanks for pointing that out hobbes... i hadn't read the replies yet, only the initial announcement. so i see the feedback system will be greatly improved, awesome *y* *y* *y*

i'll be there for sure then.

i see norro even had similar feelings toward the old feedback system...

Thanks! I know this is the main thing that kept me as just a reader of MOCpages and not a contributor!

God Bless,

Nathan

however, i do see one thing that will stop MOCpages from becoming the next BS...

For now, yes, deep links will work. But this might not remain permanent, because I want MOCpages to remain a LEGO community... and not become a file server. Deep linking increases traffic while decreasing exposure to monetizing features like onscreen ads or other things. That said, it might be possible to enable deep linking for members subscribing to the

But Brickminer, deeplinks will always work. You just need to right-click and go to view image. That's not something that is a feature, BS just made it easier. Instead of right-clicking, you just had to click on the image. It shouldn't really be prohibitive..

But Brickminer, deeplinks will always work. You just need to right-click and go to view image. That's not something that is a feature, BS just made it easier. Instead of right-clicking, you just had to click on the image. It shouldn't really be prohibitive..

Deeplinking can be prohibited.. 8-| And I understand Sean if he will do it.

Deeplinks causes obscure amounts of traffic and one heck of a bandwidth.. *wacko*

Deeplinking can be prohibited.. 8-| And I understand Sean if he will do it.

Deeplinks causes obscure amounts of traffic and one heck of a bandwidth.. *wacko*

Really? I've never encountered a site where you couldn't view the image...

Really? I've never encountered a site where you couldn't view the image...

I've stumbled upon quite a few sites where I can view images (duh) but if you try to deeplink it to another site, a different picture shows up, like "Image hosted by ..." or "Free image Hosting provided by .." :-/

I've stumbled upon quite a few sites where I can view images (duh) but if you try to deeplink it to another site, a different picture shows up, like "Image hosted by ..." or "Free image Hosting provided by .." :-/
hmmm... i wonder what sean will do ??? all i know is he said he doesn't want it to become a file server.

im using it either way... i like the interface, the only thing that was stopping me was the ridiculous comments and rating system. now that that issue has been addressed, we should be ok.

- BM

And another one: mocshow.com

Hey, they have us listed on their site, that's pretty cool. I don't have that many pics...so I may, though eventually I'll outgrow it, which is what worries me.

Umm, this is what I was afraid for after BS went down. There will be lots of new sites replacing BS and not one big community that collects all brickimages at the same place. Maybe time will show which of these sites keep it up. I personally have great hopes towards Mocpages since Sean Kenney is very much into AFOL scene and has been actively upgrading that site in this turmoil.

Hmm... Maybe. I think I'll stay with Maj.com, maybe with all my creations on multiple places. Yeah, I'll have all my MOCs on Maj and MOCpages.

I personally have great hopes towards Mocpages since Sean Kenney is very much into AFOL scene and has been actively upgrading that site in this turmoil.
nothing against those other guys with new starting ups, but i hope everyone goes to MOCpages too. i like the site, it has a good interface, coupled with easy customization features... but most importantly, sean has expressed his commitment to the site.

thats why i call for an AFOL rally to MOCpages X-D

- BM

thats why i call for an AFOL rally to MOCpages X-D

Perhaps someone should start a poll to help us determine what to pick. Currently I am using Flickr, but I would be happy to change if it was clear I was in the minority. I would prefer to use the most common one, but if MOCpages is already threatening to stop external links then maybe it isn't the best choice.

Is MOCpages recompressing the images? They seem to have a lot of jpeg artefacts...

Hello.

I have 1 Question to this:

,,Of course, you can also always use MOCpages with flickr, photobucket, maj, or any other popular image hosting service'' .

I never used mocpages to show my pictures. But at the moment it looks much better than flickr or *mocshow to me. So does he mean you can only select one of this which were in a list there or is it even possible to use an non popular site as well? I allways thought you need only a link to your other images :-/ .

*coppermine is one of the worst free gallery script in the universe *n* . It is a real labyrinth ;-) . I hope he will choose an diffenrent one soon.

I just want to say that I've been using MOCpages for some time and never noticed the "feedback problem" that some of you have mentioned... Perhaps I was just lucky...

It's been my tradition for some time to upload my pictures to Brickshelf and then publish them on MOCpages as well. I think I'll stay with MOCpages now, plus I'll switch from Brickshelf to maj.com - until a better solution becomes available (if it does).

i see norro even had similar feelings toward the old feedback system...

How did you know it was me? X-D X-D

God Bless,

Nathan

I just want to say that I've been using MOCpages for some time and never noticed the "feedback problem" that some of you have mentioned... Perhaps I was just lucky...

It's been my tradition for some time to upload my pictures to Brickshelf and then publish them on MOCpages as well. I think I'll stay with MOCpages now, plus I'll switch from Brickshelf to maj.com - until a better solution becomes available (if it does).

You don't have to look too hard to find obvious abuses of the system. Anonymous posters leaving insulting comments, or people voting countless countless times to adversely affect the score of a builder's MOC. On a more personal note, I've had personally insulting emails from anonymous posters who I can neither track nor identify. You don't have to look very far to see some of these comments or skewed voting.

Heck, can you really tell me that THIS fantastic home by Andreas Boeker is worth 1 out of 5?! MOCpages is ripe with these sorts of reviews which are both insulting and hurtful. Personally, I would like to see an option to turn off the review system alltogether, and limit feedback to other members, so as to avoid the negative comments and personal attacks. Currently, MOCpages can be quite trying for persons with the thickest of skins.

The problem I have with MOCpages is I found it slow and difficult to navigate especially compared to Brickshelf where you could browse many pages relatively quickly.

If MOC pages do manage to stop deeplinks then this will render it useless for creating reviews on sites like Eurobricks as a series of links to pages could make a review virtually unreadable.

Surely the best part of brickshelf was its simplicity do we really need the ability to leave comments or rate pictures as that is what we do within Eurobricks.

MOC pages would appear to be trying to create a community web site not just image hostingand we have a great community site here *y*

Heck, can you really tell me that THIS fantastic home by Andreas Boeker is worth 1 out of 5?!

That is an excellent example. *wacko* I am going to link to that page and until the rating reflects the MOC I won't even consider joining.