DrJB

Sets with Exclusive/Unique Parts - What's Lego to gain?

There have been numerous sets (Technic and else) with unique parts, never again seen in other sets. There have been several discussions on the cost of making molds and other aspects and yet, I find it difficult to justify designing/releasing unique parts for a single set. The 8448 Street Sensation has several such unique parts, and the 8450 Black Mission has the 'impossible-to-find' 19L flex axles. I can also name the tan beard on the Carousel, several parts in the Star-Wars series, and few more.

Since TLG only 'charges' whatever their MSRP is on lego sets, ultimately only those speculators (and risk takers i.e., investors) are to benefit from such practice.

Yet really, what are the logic/mechanisms/justifications for su ch exclusive parts? AM I going to buy a set only because it has unique parts? .... typically no, so ... what gives?

Edited by DrJB

I believe this isn't the right forum for this.

On topic, I find it pretty crazy too. Some exclusive parts are reused later, but even so... Moulds are costly. But I guess they make sets a bit more "unique". And maybe the part will have a crazy success and they will reuse it in greater quantity or even release them in PAB walls.

Oh wait, I wish they do. Masson brick in a PAB wall... The dream.

What is a Masson brick?

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=98283

98283.jpg

But that one set that has that one unique piece that everyone and thier mom wants is in there because TLG had no choice but to make/use that piece to make the set work. It was talked about before on here.

If they can not find a way to make a work around or redesign the set, then the make a new mold or pull an old mold off the shelf to use. Thats why sometimes you see a "new" part, but it is an old part from like 5 years ago.

I can elaborate a bit on the black 19L flexaxle (I designed the 8450 mission together with Uwe Wabra when I still worked at Lego, after that I designed the 8457 Power Puller with Markus Kossman... I consider myself to be a very lucky guy :classic: ).

At that time the flexaxle was just introduced as a new part for us designers to work with. Lengths were still open, colours as well. We were just told that we could use them in our models. We actually spend quite some time on designing a smooth transition from the panelled mid-section to the tail section. The 19L flex axle was just the right part for the job, so that's why we picked it.

In the end it was always a compromise between looks and cost. In this case the parts were essential for the looks, so we tried to save money on other parts (cost was the reason why we used a lot of 1x1 round tiles in the models instead of the 1x1 plates: they were a few cent cheaper).

But after a while new parts became more standard and then the cost of introducing a new length or a new colour was becoming more of a discriminating factor (I think that is the reason for the disappearance of the #3 red connector. Once a part in a certain colour is out of production there is an extra fee to pay to get back into production again).

So my guess would be that Lego purposefully introduces new parts to enhance their portfolio (flex-axles, panels, frames). The extra cost for the new molds is accepted for the purpose of the development of the brand. Every once in a while a new part is not used as often as expected and then the part becomes rare and exclusive.

Take this part for instance:

32251.jpg

It is only used in 9 sets, one of which is the power puller and there we were given explicit orders to use it.

I have several of those 32251s in other colours than black and dbg (old light grey for instance) and they we're produced around 2000 so I guess TLG did have other plans/sets that never came into production

The 'order' to use in the PP seems a bit forced as it's not really doing anything special, nor in it's 'debut' model, the 8279

Imho, that is :wink:

I can elaborate a bit on the black 19L flexaxle (I designed the 8450 mission together with Uwe Wabra when I still worked at Lego, after that I designed the 8457 Power Puller with Markus Kossman... I consider myself to be a very lucky guy :classic: ).

Do you have any description how it is working for TLG? Like a small journal, or so? I would be very interested.

Sorry for going off topic guys :laugh:

http://www.bricklink...Pic.asp?P=98283

98283.jpg

But that one set that has that one unique piece that everyone and thier mom wants is in there because TLG had no choice but to make/use that piece to make the set work. It was talked about before on here.

If they can not find a way to make a work around or redesign the set, then the make a new mold or pull an old mold off the shelf to use. Thats why sometimes you see a "new" part, but it is an old part from like 5 years ago.

I'm missing the point here ... (or maybe Mikuri is). That masonry brick is neither rare nor specific to a single set ... It appears in 90 sets!!!

Edited by DrJB

Do you have any description how it is working for TLG? Like a small journal, or so? I would be very interested.

Sorry for going off topic guys :laugh:

It's like the best job you can imagine...

But then better :classic:

However, you build with lego >80% of your working hours. And I know it is hard to believe, but after 2 years non-stop building with lego the fun does wear down a bit...

I'm actually not too sure what I can tell and what not, so I try to limit sharing my experience to what is more or less know to the public anyway.

I'm missing the point here ... (or maybe Mikuri is). That masonry brick is neither rare nor specific to a single set ... It appears in 90 sets!!!

The post is easy enough to understand .. the picture of that brick has nothing to with the words :wink:

weavil was only providing a picture of that brick Mikuri mentioned and then gave his reasons for why TLG makes unique parts not (often) seen again

I do not agree though, TLG does indeed make new molds that can seem rather pointless from time to time. Take that part Jeroen mentioned, nice as it is, it's no way essentiel to the two sets that first used it. It did have it's uses later on, I think

The gigantic bed from the 7344 was only used once almost ten years ago. That mold must have cost a bit of money, but maybe TLG sold +1 million of those :sceptic:

52045.jpg?0

That set would have been much better if it was made from individual parts

I think it really is a case that TLG isn't really worried about the after market. Like the red panels on the 42029, something that was rare became very common.

If you are going to make several hundred thousand, then the investment in a new part is probably worth the testing. Like all new ideas, some of them don't work out. Like the new worm gear.

But the massonry brick is wanted by everyone. So you either buy a set or two with them, hope their are some on a PAB wall, or pay a slightly higher price on BL.

I think it really is a case that TLG isn't really worried about the after market. Like the red panels on the 42029, something that was rare became very common.

If you are going to make several hundred thousand, then the investment in a new part is probably worth the testing. Like all new ideas, some of them don't work out. Like the new worm gear.

I think my issue and i think others agree, is that making parts exclusive to one or two sets allows for scalpers and profiteers to buy up all those sets as they know the price will increase over time. 41999 is a prime example....i can almost BET that the vast majority of the 20,000 sold were bought up by non Lego fans.

Profiteers who's only intent was to sell the set for 2 and 3 times its original retail price.

For true Technic fans who would like to build 41999 by buying parts will find it impossible to find the Dark Blue and Metallic Silver elements as they are not availble in any other set. Ergo the only way to have 41999 is to pay €4-500 !!!!

I just dont understand why TLG can't at least re-issue the same part colours in other sets, which would allow fans to buy individual parts from Bricklink etc.

Im just gonna get a 9398 and make the 41999 body in my own colours, i know it wont be as cool but ill get the same thing and more personal too.

I think my issue and i think others agree, is that making parts exclusive to one or two sets allows for scalpers and profiteers to buy up all those sets ...

I just dont understand why TLG can't at least re-issue the same part colours in other sets, which would allow fans to buy individual parts from Bricklink etc.

Thank you, that's exactly how I wanted this discussion to evolve. Ultimately, the community (AFOLs) that TLG is trying to 'tend' to, is not the one benefiting from such practice (i.e., exclusive parts).

Edited by DrJB

I think my issue and i think others agree, is that making parts exclusive to one or two sets allows for scalpers and profiteers to buy up all those sets as they know the price will increase over time. 41999 is a prime example....i can almost BET that the vast majority of the 20,000 sold were bought up by non Lego fans.

Profiteers who's only intent was to sell the set for 2 and 3 times its original retail price.

For true Technic fans who would like to build 41999 by buying parts will find it impossible to find the Dark Blue and Metallic Silver elements as they are not availble in any other set. Ergo the only way to have 41999 is to pay €4-500 !!!!

The first dark blue panels have appeared already (rocket pullback), so your prayers are already heared :laugh:

Today I bought some green axles which appeared only in set 8479, have no specific use for them, Just a must-have for my collection.

I think that is the reason for the disappearance of the #3 red connector. Once a part in a certain colour is out of production there is an extra fee to pay to get back into production again.

Very interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing. I can't help but ponder at the approach TLG has taken. The Japanese automotive has developed the JIT (Just-In-Time) manufacturing approach, where components/sub-systems are built/manufactured only on a per-need basis. Here however, it seems TLG has a stock-pile of 'standard' parts (and colors!) and you're somehow 'forced' to only use existing colors. It's a bit backwards but this leads one to believe that, within TLG, the parts manufacturing group is the strongest (politically).

Edited by DrJB