Hello All!

Recently i've finished experiments with my second drift car (the first one drifted not too good). Please watch a video before you'll estimate its holed design :)

Thanks for watching!

Edited by desert752

Wow nice.

I'm with ZBLJ. Please show us the pic of the underside.

Did you have to wax the floor for it to do that?

v/r

Andy

Nice job! It is hard to make a car of that scale drift, especially with suspension

Edit: I didn't see the rc unit, still great though

Edited by Nalyd997

I have no problem with the design. I actually think it is great given that you are trying to keep the model light. Love the tires from the limited crawler..... really accentuate things. Ditto on the wanting a pic of the underside.... also, do you have the weight?

The drifting performance is really quite amazing, very well done! I also love the white body and white highlight on the rims.

tim

Thanks for interest!

Light and powerfull! Good job! Please show underside.

I'll create transmission submodel and post it today!

Did you have to wax the floor for it to do that?

No :) it's typical parquet. The only one cheat is insulation tape on the front wheels because i have only two smooth wheels and i mount their behind.

do you have the weight?

With body and accumulators it weights about 1200 g

It is hard to make a car of that scale drift, especially with suspension

Yes, it's really big - about 48 cm. I tryed to lock suspension and on the face of it there is no difference!

So, as i promised - transmission! The key feature is that rear wheels rotates faster then front wheels.

transmission.jpg

I'm amazed that those half bevel gears and CV joints in the rear end hold together.

The rear has more torque but the front has more speed. The car has a rear torque bias.

• Front gear ratio = 1.4:1
  • Rear gear ratio = 1.67:1

v/r

Andy

I'm amazed that those half bevel gears and CV joints in the rear end hold together.

The rear has more torque but the front has more speed. The car has a rear torque bias.

• Front gear ratio = 1.4:1
  • Rear gear ratio = 1.67:1

v/r

Andy

Thanks for this calculation! The differential is mounted in the front, so rear wheels have more speed.

So basically front wheels slightly block the rear one from spinning so it drifts?

Something like this... I'm not sure that i completely understand the drift mechanism but i know that if i place locked rear diff instead of 1:1 transmission - it wouldn't drift. The same thing if i delete front diff.

I think that the rear of the car wants to overtake the front (because the wheels spin faster) while turning, what makes the rear end slide so much.

Something like this... I'm not sure that i completely understand the drift mechanism but i know that if i place locked rear diff instead of 1:1 transmission - it wouldn't drift. The same thing if i delete front diff.

When you say deleting the front diff, do you mean making it rear wheel drive only, or powering the front wheels at the same speed as each other?

I think that the rear of the car wants to overtake the front (because the wheels spin faster) while turning, what makes the rear end slide so much.

it sounds very plausible! At the straight it's not visible but at curve we can see this result!

When you say deleting the front diff, do you mean making it rear wheel drive only, or powering the front wheels at the same speed as each other?

Yes, AWD with all-wheel equal speed!

Yes, AWD with all-wheel equal speed!

Interesting. I really like the solution you have found of making the rear wheels spin faster. Have you tried making the car RWD only? While in real life there are some all-wheel-drive drift cars, mostly they're RWD.

Interesting. I really like the solution you have found of making the rear wheels spin faster. Have you tried making the car RWD only? While in real life there are some all-wheel-drive drift cars, mostly they're RWD.

Yes! When i got 8366 set i've tried to improve its drift possibilities (8366 have RWD). I've increased the wheelbase, changed buggy-motor output to slow and removed the load from motor pulleys. And all what i've received - the 180 degrees turns. Maybe it is real to do RWD drift car if select right weigh destribution, front wheel angle and so on but it will take much time and result can be still negative. BTW all professional RC drift cars are AWD.

BTW all professional RC drift cars are AWD.

Interesting! I wonder why, since RWD is the normal setup for real-world drift cars (monstrosities like Ken Block's Hoonicorn, and 4-wheel drifts during rallies, notwithstanding).

I've done building instructions for this chassis. It's my first expirience of instructions creation. Comments are in Russian but i think the pictures are clear!

I've done building instructions for this chassis. It's my first expirience of instructions creation. Comments are in Russian but i think the pictures are clear!

Cool I will build this in 2 weeks time and let you know (have a back log ) lol and some coding work I need to do first :look:

Interesting! I wonder why, since RWD is the normal setup for real-world drift cars (monstrosities like Ken Block's Hoonicorn, and 4-wheel drifts during rallies, notwithstanding).

There are Rwd rc drift cars, those are much harder to control considering you have to countersteer, it's much rarer.

One more experiment with four smooth wheels at the same chassis:

Thanks for watching!

Edited by desert752