kevkipo

The Big Bang Theory Discussion

Regardless of the target audience for the show/ set, kids are still gonna go for it.

One thing I got from Brick 2014 is a lot, a LOT of kids came up to our stand and recognised our Big Bang Theory figures for who they are. A fair few thought Leonard was Harry Potter, but when we corrected them, they immediately clicked who the rest were. So even if they're not the audience the show is intended for, kids very much watch this show, so kids will very much want this set.

How is this show smut?

It's a show that is aired during prime time, children shouldn't be watching it so adult humor is ok.

This set is aimed at adults not children. Some Lego customers and Lego themselves ( they are slowly getting it) need to realize there is a huge market for sets with more mature themes aimed at adults.

This is something I've never understood. Why does primetime mean a show doesn't need to be wholesome? It's the time when kids are home from school and probably have already finished their homework. It's probably the time when the most kids are watching.

If adults want to watch something like TBBT, that's fine. Adults are mature enough to handle the material in an appropriate way. Kids aren't as discerning. If a five year old kid sees people having sex on TV, he may not understand that it's only appropriate in certain contexts and may act out what he saw in the show in an inappropriate setting, like school.

I think it's the same reason people don't want their kids to watch violent movies. I used to work with a guy who had a three year old boy (and the mother was out of the picture). When he was home from work, he and his son did nothing but play violent, M-rated video games, normally between midnight and the early morning. Not surprisingly, his son often behaved violently because he wasn't old enough to understand what is or is not appropriate. I once saw him throw a pool ball at his dad's head.

Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative. I'm just voicing my concern.

Well that's on the parents to know what their kids watch and decide if they think it's appropriate for them. It's not our place to decide what is appropriate for other people's kids.

Well that's on the parents to know what their kids watch and decide if they think it's appropriate for them. It's not our place to decide what is appropriate for other people's kids.

I do agree completely with that. My point is just that Lego is supposed to be neutral in everything, like not religious sets and so on. But I agree it's up to the parents to decide how to raise their kids.

The Ideas design is innocuous enough, and doesn't reference TV-14 content. Those who denegrate the show are not likely to buy this product, but there is enough of a following that a set is good business sense. The set itself, not the show, would have to meet Lego standards. Several friends in a living room filled with representations of props from the show (one of which is an actual Lego product) is not likely to be too controverial.

The set itself, not the show, would have to meet Lego standards.

One might think, but LEGO previously declined a CUUSOO Firefly / Serenity project because of the content of the show, even though the actual model wouldn't have reflected anything they found objectionable.

One might think, but LEGO previously declined a CUUSOO Firefly / Serenity project because of the content of the show, even though the actual model wouldn't have reflected anything they found objectionable.

Truthfully I think Lego has changed their standards since then. That happened quite a while ago at the beginning of the CUUSOO platform and since then they've created many sets I wouldn't have expected them too. I think now they're seeing the adult market potential and have become more willing to create adult oriented themes and sets.

Truthfully I didn't think they'd make the Firefly set anyway. Even as a die-hard fan of the show I honestly can't say I saw a big market for that set. Really I kind of felt their stated reason for turning it down was just the most obvious problem among a list of them.

Since Lego does seem to be catering to the adult collectors now with the last few Ideas sets it would be nice if they went back and made that Shaun of the Dead set or if the creator of it (Yoshi?) posted a new one.

Also I'm watching TBBT right now and so far I haven't heard or seen anything that wouldn't be inappropriate for a 8+ year old.

Since Lego does seem to be catering to the adult collectors now with the last few Ideas sets it would be nice if they went back and made that Shaun of the Dead set or if the creator of it (Yoshi?) posted a new one.

Also I'm watching TBBT right now and so far I haven't heard or seen anything that wouldn't be inappropriate for a 8+ year old.

Same here they don't swear at all, there are some methaphores and dubble-lined lines but kids wont get them anyway.

I mean look at the Simpsons, The only episode i have ever watched was an episode where they were cutting open Homer to show his tubes... Sorry to all Simpsons fans but that is not appropriate. for Children who have expirienced a sick family member who had something on their Tubes/Stomach probably tought, Oh so this is what they did to Grandpa/Uncle/Dad etc...?

Same here they don't swear at all, there are some methaphores and dubble-lined lines but kids wont get them anyway.

I mean look at the Simpsons, The only episode i have ever watched was an episode where they were cutting open Homer to show his tubes... Sorry to all Simpsons fans but that is not appropriate. for Children who have expirienced a sick family member who had something on their Tubes/Stomach probably tought, Oh so this is what they did to Grandpa/Uncle/Dad etc...?

Lego may have changed enough to create a theme based around an adult TV-PG show (With only a handful of TV-14 episodes), but I'm going to go out on a limb and say they probably aren't to the point of making sets for R rated movies yet. Maybe in another few years they'll be to that point, but I think the Simpsons and the Big Bang Theory are part of the intermediary step on that ladder. And even as edgy as they have been at certain times their still just network sitcoms.

I will also point out that cartoon violence is more acceptable than live-action violence, so that's going to be why the Simpsons gets away with it as much as they do.

Edited by strangely

I used to watch TBBT with the sound off, closed captions on, so that my younger children who presumably couldn't read or read that fast wouldn't here anything offensive. That soon changed when my 2nd grader was laughing at the double-entendres :blush:.

So, the only way I get to watch grown-up programing now is when no children are around.

TBBT is not a theme for children, it is for adults. I wonder what age range will be marked on the packaging, 14-99???

TBBT is not a theme for children, it is for adults. I wonder what age range will be marked on the packaging, 14-99???

I imagine they'll keep the age range at something like 7-14, since the age range is concerned with the difficulty of the build, not the subject matter. LEGO is definitely going to stray away from the more risque parts of the show and instead focus on the basic premise of "nerd antics."

Truthfully I think Lego has changed their standards since then. That happened quite a while ago at the beginning of the CUUSOO platform and since then they've created many sets I wouldn't have expected them too. I think now they're seeing the adult market potential and have become more willing to create adult oriented themes and sets.

Truthfully I didn't think they'd make the Firefly set anyway. Even as a die-hard fan of the show I honestly can't say I saw a big market for that set. Really I kind of felt their stated reason for turning it down was just the most obvious problem among a list of them.

I think originally they stated they would not make Firefly because of the companion character on the show. (however the response/blog was edited and that statement removed at some point, because when they released the Disney Lone Ranger sets it ticked me off and I went looking for their original comments, which were gone....) any who LEGO apparently has nothing against murdering prostitutes as long as they are in Disney films, but not a companion on Firefly.

But TBBT while a prime time show is not all that bad. Now if LEGO were going to make a Two Broke Girls set I could see why folks would be upset, but TBBT is mild compared to a lot of TV out there.

I cannot wait for this set as I LOVE the show! Have we heard any rumors on a release time yet?

I think originally they stated they would not make Firefly because of the companion character on the show. (however the response/blog was edited and that statement removed at some point, because when they released the Disney Lone Ranger sets it ticked me off and I went looking for their original comments, which were gone....) any who LEGO apparently has nothing against murdering prostitutes as long as they are in Disney films, but not a companion on Firefly.

But TBBT while a prime time show is not all that bad. Now if LEGO were going to make a Two Broke Girls set I could see why folks would be upset, but TBBT is mild compared to a lot of TV out there.

I cannot wait for this set as I LOVE the show! Have we heard any rumors on a release time yet?

Around the second half of the year was rumored :sweet:

Lego have just announced the helicarrier which includes printed micro figures of ironman etc. could this suggest that we may see some in the Big Bang theory set as per the ideas submission.

Lego have just announced the helicarrier which includes printed micro figures of ironman etc. could this suggest that we may see some in the Big Bang theory set as per the ideas submission.

I doubt we will see the Marvel characters in the TBBT set purely down to the fact the WB owns TBBT. It will be much more likely that they will include DC stuff since they are owned by WB as well.

I haven't watched TBBT, but I do recall seeing pictures of Sheldon? wearing Green Lantern stuff right? Which, clearly is DC. It would make sense they would include a small trophy sized figure of something DC related, simply because Marvel has that same scale microtrophy out now.

But like I said, I have not seen any episodes. If it ever comes on instant on Netflix, I may consider it. But I'm sure I will still buy the set. I love new figure prints.

Yes sorry, I should have specified that I meant dc micro figures. 'As per the ideas submission' where there are Green Lantern, Flash and Batman micro figures.

I would love to see a micro Green Lantern figure as a nod to the line "If you're ever short of money there's always a couple of fifties in Green Lantern's megablocks." - Leonard

Where are the finalized pics for this? We now have two more Ideas sets announced but nothing new on this set.

Pics depends on the release date, not the announce date.

Yeah, we still haven't waited anywhere nearly as long for anything on this set as we did for final imagery and other info about the Exo-suit, for example.

I'm curious about The Big Bang Theory set as well, but it hasn't really been that long a wait yet.