Sign in to follow this  
Something_Awesome

List of Star Wars sets that are retiring!

The following sets are retiring!

75019 AT-TE

75018 Jek-14's Stealth Starfighter

9493 X-Wing Starfighter (there will likely be a new one before Episode VII, so I would not recommend buying a bunch of these if you're thinking about profiting from the set being retired)

75041 Vulture Droid

75039 V-Wing Starfighter

75003 A-Wing Starfighter

75002 Mandalorian Speeder

What/who is your source Something Awesome?? I'm only surprised for Vulture Droid, it's a 2014 set, can it be that its sales are really that bad??

I cant imagine there would be another x wing so soon after being discontinued, not to mention it seems to have gone on longer than anything else from the wave it originally was released with. I think the ep 7 variant isnt exactly an x wing but a hybrid of the z95/x-wing so expect something not intending to be authentic to an OT x-wing. So id say stack up on them if you want to... Im only sorry to see jek14's starfighter go as that was a really good ship/build with some good minifigs too.

The at-te imo isn't as good as the 7675 version so no real biggy there... But yes, surprised to see the vulture droid go. While seeming a bit bulky for what it is supposed to represent, in itself its not a bad little set.

Weird how The V-Wing and the Vulture Droid is already retiring. They're not even a year, surely sets use to stay around longer? Maybe they've sold really, really bad.

And I agree, I can't see another OT X-Wing in the nearest years however I'm positive that there's gonna be a New Trilogy X-Wing soon that obviously will differ a bit from the OT one.

The Episode VII X-wing isn't exactly a hybrid; it's a straight-up pre-TCW Z-95, aka a McQuarrie X-wing. I think it'll be a couple years before we see a new OT X-wing.

Weird how The V-Wing and the Vulture Droid is already retiring. They're not even a year, surely sets use to stay around longer? Maybe they've sold really, really bad.

They were overpriced... Well, the V-wing certainly felt that way. I think the Imperial V-wing from a few years ago was only $20, and this one has a part count of, what, 201? With only a pilot & astromech, just like the Imp one. The Vulture Droid had more pieces I think, but still felt small. I kept hoping for nice discounts on them at Target or on Amazon, but either I missed them or they never really had decent discounts... The V-wing is on sale for about $20 at Target for the next couple weeks, so there's that! Still seems like a strange decision to retire them so soon.

/me thinking of a possibility of the same classic X-Wing re-release, but with an addition of something extra. Yoda hut, for example, as it was in 2002-2003.

TLG is applying the same release template with UCS X-Wing - (UCS TIE ?), why not take the same approach with system scale sets.

The Episode VII X-wing isn't exactly a hybrid; it's a straight-up pre-TCW Z-95, aka a McQuarrie X-wing. I think it'll be a couple years before we see a new OT X-wing.

It's not a straight up Z95 http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/21/lucasfilm-confirms-x-wing-fighter-and-not-z-95-headhunter-in-sta/ . I was referring to the later version of the Z95, that is accepted as the final version, not the concept version.

Either way, it is now named as an X-Wing and looks like a mix between the later version of the Z95, and the OT X-Wing... so a hybrid.

It's not a straight up Z95 http://comicbook.com...dhunter-in-sta/ . I was referring to the later version of the Z95, that is accepted as the final version, not the concept version.

Either way, it is now named as an X-Wing and looks like a mix between the later version of the Z95, and the OT X-Wing... so a hybrid.

The Clone Wars Z-95 is the only remaining canon version, yes, but prior to the introduction of that design, most EU sources depicted the McQuarrie X-wing as the Z-95 Headhunter... and that is what is in Episode VII, now recast as a 'new' X-wing. Not a hybrid, as it's based on preproduction art from before ANH even hit theaters.

That's the thing, tho, the design is from the past! It's not someone going "Hey, let's merge the Z-95 from the Clone Wars with an OT X-wing and make a new X-wing!", it's someone going "Hey, let's take a cue from the Rebels artists and mine the old concept art for stuff to use in the new films!

I'm not disputing that it's an X-wing... I'm just saying that for a couple decades, that 'concept X-wing' was known and accepted by thousands of SW fans as a Z-95 Headhunter... and while the inevitable Lego set will have "X-wing" on the box, many fans may throw a Han Solo, random pilot, or custom Mara Jade into the cockpit of the ship and call it a Z-95, and they would be correct in doing so. It's just a Legends Z-95 now.

I suppose having not really heard of the McQuarrie Z-95 or known of it until mention of it along with Ep 7, I have been quite happy accepting the 'later' Z-95 as the Z-95..

I guess that's what I get for hiding away from SW concept history...

To be fair, there was another 'standard' version as well, that was inspired by the McQuarrie one but quite different (the wings didn't split, it had 4 wing-mounted round engines like an X-wing, the back was quite rounded as well), but the McQuarrie X-wing was also used in many sources as a Z-95 as well. I never much liked the 'other' one, but always dug the McQ one (particularly as used by Wedge Antilles in "The Phantom Affair" flashbacks). I linked a pic of the McQuarrie X-wing in one of my earlier posts in here, a DS trench production painting... the main difference in the new X-wing is the way the wings split--they still go up & down for the "x", but they split front-to-back rather than top-to-bottom, so when not in attack position the wings are thin, sitting flush together.

I like TCW's version, too; it has some elements of the old concepts, some of the 'other' standard EU Z-95 I described, and some elements of other old planes. Fun ship! But I'm glad we'll be getting the old concept one, too... it'll proudly sit alongside my TCW Z-95 & 2012 X-wing :classic:

it'll proudly sit alongside my TCW Z-95 & 2012 X-wing :classic:

Same. :classic: Hopefully it'll also sit by my Z-95. (totally not self promotion...) (also not to muddy the Z-95's histoy any more...)

I'm not surprised the Vulture Droid is retiring, in my local toy store, (which attracts quite a lot of people) it is still fully stocked. Heck, even the 2012 and 2013 sets are still selling better than it!

when you say retiring you mean gone for good??? wow they definitely killing the prequels!! rest assured the x wing will be back because i saw a couple liked pics of a blue squadron x wing for the new movie !

when you say retiring you mean gone for good??? wow they definitely killing the prequels!! rest assured the x wing will be back because i saw a couple liked pics of a blue squadron x wing for the new movie !

Sets get retired all the time; they may make more V-wings and Vulture Droids, it's just these specific sets that are retiring.

The X-wing you saw is a completely different ship; if you would read the comments, you'd see it's a McQuarrie Concept X-wing, recast as a "new" X-wing in the 30-years-after-ROTJ era. Lego will make OT X-wings again someday, but I think the next one we can expect will be the Z-95/concept/EpVII X-wing.

I do believe the v-wing and vulture droid didn't sell well, we had the black one a couple of years ago, I have both it and the original one (it's one of my all time favorites), and this new one just dosn't hold up.

As for the vulture droid, it isn't pilot able (canonally) so that's one point against it, it also dosnt have anything to make it stand out, just a couple of droids and an obscure character (aside from hard core Star Wars fans, (like me), who's heard of the nemodian guard?)

I also find it rather interesting that after DISNEY took over, Star Wars merchandise, apart from lego sets, has gotten rarer, where once it took up a whole isle, it now sits off in a two foot space at the back.

My local TRU has SW taking up both sides of an entire aisle. Impressive, since there were hardly any action figures in the mix since Hasbro's distribution is so lame. They did their a lot of SW Lego sets in there, too, to fill it out.

Speaking of Hasbro, any fan of the figures knows the Neimoidian Warrior, because he pegwarmed hard back in 2005 (mostly because his articulation was lame compared to many other figures, and he was saddled with a pathetic squeeze-leg action feature and an oversized missile-launching weapon he couldn't even properly hold because of the size and his limited elbow joints). While it's true the character was just a couple extras in the Mustafar scene quickly cut down by Vader, the design was really nice and the Warrior was pretty much the only non-droid Separatist soldier available at the time, which made all his flaws even sadder since nobody wanted to army-build him.

The Vulture Droid's Neimoidian suffers none of the Hasbro version's flaws, just a tiny amount of screentime. I'd love to have several instead of dull Battle Droids.

The Vulture has a pilot for playability... Hasbro did the same thing. Lucas made a big mistake, IMO, by making so many droid fighters in the PT; no pilot means the toys don't need figures to fly them, which made things tough for Hasbro, and putting different figures in the ships is a big part of the fun with the toys! So eventually Hasbro made them with room for figures. It's fine that Lego did the same; doesn't seem to hurt the design much.

My local TRU has SW taking up both sides of an entire aisle. Impressive, since there were hardly any action figures in the mix since Hasbro's distribution is so lame. They did their a lot of SW Lego sets in there, too, to fill it out.

Speaking of Hasbro, any fan of the figures knows the Neimoidian Warrior, because he pegwarmed hard back in 2005 (mostly because his articulation was lame compared to many other figures, and he was saddled with a pathetic squeeze-leg action feature and an oversized missile-launching weapon he couldn't even properly hold because of the size and his limited elbow joints). While it's true the character was just a couple extras in the Mustafar scene quickly cut down by Vader, the design was really nice and the Warrior was pretty much the only non-droid Separatist soldier available at the time, which made all his flaws even sadder since nobody wanted to army-build him.

The Vulture Droid's Neimoidian suffers none of the Hasbro version's flaws, just a tiny amount of screentime. I'd love to have several instead of dull Battle Droids.

The Vulture has a pilot for playability... Hasbro did the same thing. Lucas made a big mistake, IMO, by making so many droid fighters in the PT; no pilot means the toys don't need figures to fly them, which made things tough for Hasbro, and putting different figures in the ships is a big part of the fun with the toys! So eventually Hasbro made them with room for figures. It's fine that Lego did the same; doesn't seem to hurt the design much.

Ah, so he was the injector of Star Wars. (Injector was a transformer peg warmer for FOUR YEARS! Go look up a picture of him, you'll see why.)

I don't blame Lucas for autopiloted droid fighters, it makes sense, why wast money adding a control station to a vulture, when you can add a much smaller and cheaper brain unit. After all, they are mass produced small fighters. In lego form, the empty control station leaves a gaping hole in the chest.

Conceptually they're kinda neat... They're transformers! In Star Wars! But from a toy standpoint they were a mistake, especially when most of them either didn't transform or only transformed in bland, minimal-effort ways (rotate wings 90 degrees and that's it, like the 2005 version), which is something you wouldn't necessarily expect from the company that also make Transformers. So they were weak transformers and didn't require any action figures to play with... kinda limits the appeal!

As for the Lego version, that's why Lego is great: we can fairly easily mod it!

Also, the Neimoidian wasn't nearly as bad as Injector; he only hung around for months... but the Vintage Phantom Menace figures are approaching Injector-level (there are STILL Vintage Battle Droids at local Targets and TRUs)