technicgear

x-cross track for PF Trains

Hello all,

I saw a few weeks ago and decided to build it myself. I have to say that it works pretty well... I will try to make it more robust this weekend but by now it works quite well.

I will count how many times can the train cross it before taking it apart... which drives me to the question: Is it fine to glue lego plates? What should I use?

I would recommend hot glue, it is almost completely reversible without leaving a lot of traces.

That's pretty cool! It's one of those "why didn't I think of that?" solutions. I do wonder if it can't be made stronger without having to glue pieces... I just don't like the thought of that.

That's pretty cool! It's one of those "why didn't I think of that?" solutions. I do wonder if it can't be made stronger without having to glue pieces... I just don't like the thought of that.

Yeah, me neither... I will play a bit with it to make stronger. but the tiles that are just grabbed with two knobs and the big one just by one knob... so it isn't exactly rock solid.

Very nice idea and execution. The video is also skillfully done, only thing the building sequence is rather long.

Maybe if you do a slideshow of pictures taken each time after adding some bricks?

I have seen these cross-tracks made on a 3D printer. I have been thinking about 3D printing a larger curve radius, but I have no access to a 3D printer.

My college has one, but it is just an educational prototype and not very accurate.

Edited by Wabbajack

It would be a good idea to get some of these made if possible by a 3D printer. I don't know enough about them myself, but if someone with the know how did the design I think there are various sites that can then print it and we could all order them as long as they were not overly expensive. Same goes for wider radious curves, in fact that may be a very good idea.

Very nicely done! It beats having to overpay for old 9v crossings. I look forward to hearing about its long term stability!

Looking good. Meanwhile, it looks like the 9v crossover tracks are still available for about $20 on bricklink. Meanwhile, we were just talking about brickbuilt crossovers last year, here was a MOD I came up with.

Nice, I particularly like your V2 update. Looks like it should hold together better. Thanks for posting the link!

Edited by domboy