Corran

What about ancient Roman and Greece sets?

Hi,

I'm very interested in the history of the classical world, so I'd love to see some LEGO models of this period. Maybe with forts, Circus Maximus, siegecraft, armies, ...

Or with more different peoples, for example Gauls, Germans, Carthagians, Spartans, Sassanids, Parthians, Skythes, ....

What do you think about that? Are you interested too?

Greetings, Corran

I'm interested, but I don't think Lego will make any ancient Roman sets because playmobil already did that...

A roman theme would be great!

I have a small custom roman army using torso's designed by AdmMatthew.

Here's a picture of one of my roman soldiers:

roman-soldier-result.jpg

I'm interested, but I don't think Lego will make any ancient Roman sets because playmobil already did that...

Hmm, that could be a reason. But on the other hand I'd never buy any playmobil sets, so I think there are enough Lego fans who would like those sets and buy them.

A roman theme would be great!

I have a small custom roman army using torso's designed by AdmMatthew.

Here's a picture of one of my roman soldiers:

roman-soldier-result.jpg

Nice fig. It would be great to build up a legion or a diorama maybe of Cannae or Alesia or something else *wub*

Well i think thats one more reason why lego should make these sets!

almost every theme playmo has lego also has..

and i think lego will soon be making an ancient greece theme!

i just feel it (or is it just wishfull thinking?)

i c a lot of mocs about this theme on brickshelf...its like the fans are asking for it!!

the viking ship could easily become a greek ship!

just think of the armies the legions the buildings the Gods!!

there are SO many muthical monsters in greek mythology and so many battles in greek history!

I have a feeling this theme is just around the coner!!

i just hope they dont ruin it!!

The possibilities regarding this theme are endless and lego is going to a direction where there is no man on man war but its mostly man-vs-creatures-skeletons-monsters...

this is what Greek mythology is all about!!

Hi,

I'm very interested in the history of the classical world, so I'd love to see some LEGO models of this period. Maybe with forts, Circus Maximus, siegecraft, armies, ...

Or with more different peoples, for example Gauls, Germans, Carthagians, Spartans, Sassanids, Parthians, Skythes, ....

What do you think about that? Are you interested too?

Greetings, Corran

yes i would be very interested in this, i think it would be awesome!

yes i would be very interested in this, i think it would be awesome!

Yeah, me too. As long as we got a broad selection and some army building sets.

I'd like to see it done. We could have a lot of white buildings with columns, which would look really nice. I'm not so sure it will be done any time in the near future, since we've appear to have just gotten a pretty elaborate castle line. I think one historical line is about all the market (or at least my wallet) will bear.

Steve

I'd like to see it done. We could have a lot of white buildings with columns, which would look really nice. I'm not so sure it will be done any time in the near future, since we've appear to have just gotten a pretty elaborate castle line. I think one historical line is about all the market (or at least my wallet) will bear.

If there is only room for 1 historical theme, I would have prefered a more original theme (like romans, greek, egypt or even Atlantis) than another Casle theme.

Playmo released a great ancient rome line this fall so TLC surely will follow them within the next two years :-|

There's multiple ways of going about this.

Lego could....

1) Release ancient civilization themes based on locations or continents.

Theme: Ancient Civilization

Subtheme: Asia, Europe, America etc.

European

- Ancient Rome

- Ancient Greece

- Celts

- Druids

- Franks

- Barbarian Huns

Asian (Far East)

- Ancient China

- Ancient India

- Ancient Tibet

- Mongols

- Ancient Japan

- Ancient Khmer

Mideast

- Ancient Egypt

- Ancient Persia

- Ancient Babylon

- Hittites

- Assyrian

America

- Mayan

- Incas

- Aztec

2) Release ancient civilization themes based on historic time periods.

Archaic or Ancient civilizations

- Ancient Egypt

- Ancient Persia

- Ancient Babylon

- Hittites

- Assyrian

- Ancient China

- Ancient India

Classical

- Ancient Rome

- Ancient Greece

- Celts

- Druids

- Barbarian Huns

- Carthage

Medieval

- Mayan

- Incas

- Aztec

- Mongols

- Ancient Japan

- Ancient Khmer

- Franks

^Could be wrong with some of those, so correct me.

Then LEGO could even go on with the "Enlightenment era" with civilizations based on the game "Age of Empires 3".

3) Or LEGO could release a new ancient civilization every year. The first year releasing two civilizations so there are rival factions. Then only sets for one civilization per year.

For example:

Mayan (would be a laugh for 2012 :classic: )

Incas

Roman

India

China

Carthage

Japan

Greece

Egypt

Babylonia

Aztec

Persia

Ancient Khmer

Zulu

Mongols

Franks

Goths

Assyrian

Phoenicians

Hittites

I haven't decided which way I'd prefer yet. Just as long as the next theme based on an ancient civilization, like Egypt, doesn't turn out to be just another fantasy based theme like Pharaoh's Quest. No human soldiers....only mummies. No civilian sets...just lots of vehicles & fantasy. No rival realistic factions.

Ancient Greece/Persia would be sweet.

Since they already have the Spartan minifig from the collectible series, and the Persian minifigs from Prince of Persia.

I like the idea of a lot of those sets, If they don't do that at least a better existing Kingdom sets. I would love to see Spartans, Romans, Celts, and Goths.

I haven't decided which way I'd prefer yet. Just as long as the next theme based on an ancient civilization, like Egypt, doesn't turn out to be just another fantasy based theme like Pharaoh's Quest. No human soldiers....only mummies. No civilian sets...just lots of vehicles & fantasy. No rival realistic factions.

I doubt we will see anywhere near this level of historical accuracy and completedness from Lego, mainly because since it is a kids toys it has to appeal to kids first.

Like you I found the pharaoh's quest (and atlantis) theme disappointing because a too much on the fantasy side, but they do provide nice new brick which is really all we need to let our imagination run wild no matter the original building instructions.

Maybe an Asterix (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki?search=Asterix) like theme could be a good middleground both appealling enough for kids and interesting enough for more historically minded afols.

I doubt we will see anywhere near this level of historical accuracy and completedness from Lego, mainly because since it is a kids toys it has to appeal to kids first.

Like you I found the pharaoh's quest (and atlantis) theme disappointing because a too much on the fantasy side, but they do provide nice new brick which is really all we need to let our imagination run wild no matter the original building instructions.

Maybe an Asterix (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki?search=Asterix) like theme could be a good middle ground both appealing enough for kids and interesting enough for more historically minded afols.

I agree with you that Lego doesn't make 100% accurate historic themes, but I disagree that kids don't like history. I am all for a Roman theme, and an Asterix-like tribe of warriors and Germanic barbarians may just be one of the best themes ever conceived of.

Trouble is, Lego doesn't like to take history and present it's violent side, otherwise they have to paint certain people as good guys and others as bad guys and that can hinder sales, so it isn't done. I am positive we will see a Roman soldier soon though; (Series 5 Collectible Minifigures anyone??) :wink:

When gladiator first came out i built a chariot and a few roman soldiers using the pieces i had at the time.

I disagree that kids don't like history.

Oops. not what I meant. I think kids do like history, especially ancient civilizations probably, I just meant that to be appealling to most kids, and as you pointed out avoid depicting violence, it would probably be best to focus the theme on a slightly caricaturized history rather than purely accurate one.

Would definitely support the idea of a theme based on ancient Greece and Rome. There are so many exciting possibilities. After Greece was conquered by the Romans, they adopted many of its ideas and aspects of its culture, architecture and mythology. So although it's clear that they were two separate civilisations in different locations, it's probably fair to say that they would be close enough in many people's imaginations (and certainly would be in Lego form) to be part of one theme.

To start with, sets drawn purely from history would be mouthwatering: Roman legions with their distinctive armour, weapons and standards. Chariot races. Amphitheatres. Competitors in the ancient Olympic Games. A detailed Colosseum with various gladiators and animals. The Roman emperor. Classical statuary. All the architectural pieces such as columns, pediments, domes and keystones, to enable structures such as temples, villas, arches, the forum and so on.

Then you move into Greek mythology, with its fabulous range of gods and goddesses, heroes and monsters. Imagine Zeus, Aphrodite and Athene, Perseus and Heracles, Pegasus and the Minotaur, all rendered in Lego. The home of the gods on Mount Olympus, a range of giant figs (maxifigs?) to represent the Titans and the Cyclopses. Each set could tell a story, so smaller as well as larger sets could appear. Apollo's chariot, Persephone in the underworld, Perseus, Andromeda and the Gorgons, the twelve tasks of Heracles. The really epic stories such as the Iliad, the Odyssey and Jason's quest for the Golden Fleece, could spin off into mini-lines of their own.

Exciting possibilities indeed!